Server time (UTC): 2021-07-31 06:29

Lore Event - "The Scientists"
TODAY | 2021-07-31 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 12 hours, 30 minutes | Nyheim City

What Should we Do to Improve Nyheim??

TheBishop

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

Hello Fellow Roleplayers! 

I come bearing a simple question...

What do you want to see, added or changed to Improve our New Map Nyheim?

This is meant to be completely non-salt Feedback on the NEW map. So please post any suggestions or ideas, ranging from the grand scale to the simple changes! Please don't simply post "I want more detail!!" Be creative and suggest something to improve, rather than comparing without any idea of how to make it better! 

We have an awesome opportunity to change the map to the finest detail as a community! I want to hear what additions or changes our community has in there back pocket! 

Ill go first...

I want to recommend adding more bodies of water! I think all we have atm is a river and its sweet, but maybe a lake side getaway? Or simply more rivers and lakes cutting the terrain around the awesome city! 

Please post your awesome Ideas bellow! Lets see something creative, and hopefully possible to add into our CUSTOM Map! 

Perhaps the awesome Devs could take this thread as a suggestion box??? 

Edited by TheBishop

Been waiting for a forum like this! I'll be the first to post my own ideas!

Temperature

I wish that the temperature would be much colder and have it be a problem to avoid, to have to make a fire every once and awhile. Maybe if zones of temperature can be implemented, I'd love to see the city be a normal/semi-cold and the outside snowy mountains and forests be very cold, to maybe give a different dynamic? It is realistic since the snow is everywhere and all, and it rains all the time.
Loot
     The looting, if this is included in the thread, I'd like to see a bit more harshness of the first stated stuff for the map. Less automatics, more bolts/simple rifles. Right now there are a bunch of AKs and M4s everywhere.
^Traders^
     Just like loot, if included in this thread, it might be better to scale it down or something cause you can just get M4s and AKs out of the traders cause they seem to constantly be overstocked and cheaper since so many sell em.

And I agree with Bishop's water idea.

• Emerald

Personally i experience alot of clipping issues in the town and more specifically on the mountains surrounding it, more or less i can lay down in a rock and be completely invisible or even walk into one right next to the Radio Tower a bit South West of the City.

Also would like to see the amount of AKs and M4s and all that be reduced or removed all together once the Scrap Weapons™️ are done being made.

And i agree with Bishop, we could use some ponds or a river.

• Diamond

A denser forrest area to the north of the main city, a couple of ponds. These are the only map suggestions I have right now. I would also love to see people RP out clearing parts of the city of the debris and then maybe showing the evidence with a video or screenshot to the map developer and then getting them removed. Maybe a goal for Plikt or a new group, 'Clean up the city streets'.

• Game Master

Cave systems would be nice. If we're going with a smaller map, it needs depth

Although I haven't explored the entire map, what I've seen so far is pretty detailed. However, I feel the object count in the city could be reduced a tad bit. Some shrubbery and debris makes the streetscapes feel too cluttered. As @Craigsaid, maybe this could be RP'd out by clearing out sections of the city over time.

Another thing I'd like to see on the map would be more wilderness "nooks & crannies" (cabins in the middle of nowhere, hiking trails, etc). Also, more trees on that bare taiga. I'd like to see more objects on main roads, such as barricades, rest stops, car crashes, and other scenes that tell a story.

Finally, I'd like to see a reduction in military buildings. Most major locations have some sort of military container, barracks, or the like.

• Diamond
1 hour ago, Doc said:

Also, more trees on that bare taiga. I'd like to see more objects on main roads, such as barricades, rest stops, car crashes, and other scenes that tell a story.

This exactly! Story telling is what makes a good map great! 

• Diamond

In addition to loot and map tweaks, I personally feel (coming from a HL2RP background with a focus on an urban environment) the city feels a bit (too?) neglected other than occasional PLIKT deployments. I haven't played a few days but that was my personal impression up until then. Did I perhaps miss things or never play too long during prime time before to see it from another angle? Maybe. You tell me.

There is a gradual on-going internal feedback process going on as well but I might as well mention it here for all to see and for them to share their thoughts about this.

Ultimately, we're still at the start. This isn't meant in an (overly) alarmist fashion and those are just my thoughts based on prior experience - in short I don't want to cry about the end of the iteration, by no means. At the same time I feel initial momentum is very vital in longevity. In a nutshell: If we slack or do not utilize some other possible potential early-ish, things might get stale for many quickly. No matter "when" 'quickly' is: Days, weeks, months, but sooner than if we were to invest into that area.

We have a great map and great new lore chance, a new spin different from any prior lore iterations. Let's make the best out of it.

In a nutshell what I feel could improve:

Somehow improve city based RP, flesh out the general PLIKT government, have sub-factions (referring to internal on-going feedback process here, too), semi-official groups managed by staff and normal players that for example mimic a 'civilian side of government' that injects RP stimuli into the city beyond events during prime time by spreading propaganda, organizing work events, etc. Since PLIKT deployment rule changes (e.g. to have them deploy more throughout the day or with lesser restrictions) were rejected, forming new complementary groups around PLIKT would be the alternative - how they are treated (whether closely tied to PLIKT, a hybrid form or simple player groups without any benefits or special standing and any other possibility) are details that can be worried about until the general demand or acceptance for this appears. But the work will pay off because expanding on the faction(s) will also mean more interactivity for others.

I feel investing into the city and factional structure will offer more RP, make the city more of a unique hub and in turn introduce a bit more order during PLIKT off-hours. At the same time, the newly improved or deepened vibes of the city will in turn perhaps make the "outlands" more interesting or unique for other people in turn because each area of the map may offer things and vibes/playstyles the other may not.

You could say investing into the city would be a win for all :)

8 hours ago, Elmo said:

Cave systems would be nice. If we're going with a smaller map, it needs depth

Literally! hahaha

I think an expansion of underground infrastructure, such as sewers and maintenance tunnels would be nice. What if the massive railroad was actually underground? Just spitballing here. 

Overall I had some gripes & complaints about loot traders, and tables, but i've now concluded the system is working fine (mostly).

There's still ways to sell stuff to the trader - just because they won't buy a pristine item doesn't mean they won't buy a damaged one. I figured out that I can turn an unsellable max-stock pristine item into something the trader will by buy. All I gotta do is put it in the nearest jacket and shoot! 

• Diamond

Add to the SW and NE towns - one densely populated town is a headache in more than one way, since folks place every object they find. 

Been trying to spread out where folks congregate since hub RP is atrocious - catch us around 1911 - dynamic and a dream.

TL;DR: Try not to let RP, clichés, or thoughtless rules get in the way - would be my suggestion. Play what you want with who you want, simple shit. 

Posted (edited)

A giant cave system would be dope. I'm no developer so I don't know the logistics of it but, imagine if all the cities connected through a cave system. It would be great with some hidden rooms and shit gives you a lot better of a chance to be able to hide shit and not being raided 24/7 because people would have to search more area.

Also, maybe caves in the mountains as well. Basically more places to hide so you can play and hide if you feel as if that would be good for your character. 

Basically just more secrets rooms and secret little niche places that players could find. Maybe some that are so secret it could take days and days of searching to find. It adds some lore a bit. People hiding under ground or living in tunnels to avoid the dead walking and the just people in general. 

Last thing. Night time would be cool. 

Just ideas tho.

;New idea that just came to me. Imagine a underground city. Not a big one but, like maybe like a shanty town kind of thing underground. I think that would quickly become a prime destination to visit. 

Edited by GucciOnFrozone
  • MVP

Nothing, as our mapmaker is on his military duty tour for 6 months and no one else can do edits.

• Emerald
2 hours ago, Misho said:

Nothing, as our mapmaker is on his military duty tour for 6 months and no one else can do edits.

So there wont be any map related bug fixes or edits? Also, why is no one else able to edit the map?

• MVP
15 minutes ago, Blackfyre said:

So there wont be any map related bug fixes or edits? Also, why is no one else able to edit the map?

Because afaik no one else 1.has access to all the neccessary files to do proper map changes. 2.no one on the team(apart from the currently abscent creator) has mapped before or is willing to waste their time learning it.

• Diamond

So that just means we need to put even more emphasis on other changes that aren't necessarily directly map related, as we can't wait to start with just map edits in like 6 months or whenever he returns from his duties.

• Diamond

I personally feel like there needs to be more locations to the north and south of the map. The further away I get from the city the more empty it feels to me. Would love to see small towns and villages compared to the one or two houses that players randomly stumble upon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Emerald

Honestly, as a streamer, Remove the music, the other sounds are perfect, but hearing the music over and over again is horrendous, at first it was enjoyable, but I am dreaming that music.

But what is worse I continiously have to micro manage my streams background music to drown it out.

Other then that, I love the map

• Diamond

The music is fine as someone who isn’t a streamer I enjoy it, it brought life to the city 

• Developer
56 minutes ago, RedSky said:

hearing the music over and over again is horrendous

I feel you. I have an update brewing where you can turn off all ambient sounds. I might tweak it to also allow you to just turn off the music. I think the volume and range could be tuned down again if it is a nuisance. Sadly I don't have too many interesting beats that I could throw on there.

• Titanium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kerkkoh said:

-snip- 

Another thing that could help the player count (maybe) is allow the Official Groups and Titanium players to have access to Nyheim in offline mode to work on Prefabs... Unless something recently changed, I couldn't work on my prefab because we can't access Nyheim in the DayZ Editor. 

If you can make it accessible, which will make prefab accessible too, it could help motivate official groups to play, boosting the player count enough which will then result in a snow ball effect and motivate more people to play cause of the increase in player count. 

Edited by AlwaysGamer
  • Emerald
48 minutes ago, AlwaysGamer said:

Another thing that could help the player count (maybe) is allow the Official Groups and Titanium players to have access to Nyheim in offline mode to work on Prefabs... Unless something recently changed, I couldn't work on my prefab because we can't access Nyheim in the DayZ Editor. 

If you can make it accessible, which will make prefab accessible too, it could help motivate official groups to play, boosting the player count enough which will then result in a snow ball effect and motivate more people to play cause of the increase in player count. 

Ill make a tutorial tommorow or the day after how to get in to Nyheim in offline mode if ya need me to because it isnt that hard

• Titanium
32 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Ill make a tutorial tommorow or the day after how to get in to Nyheim in offline mode if ya need me to because it isnt that hard

That would be appreciated because, with the help of @SnowDwe tried to access Nyheim but we couldn't. That was a few weeks ago tho. 

• Developer
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AlwaysGamer said:

>snmip<

I made a quick changed mission, it spawns you under the ground so you'll have to go freecam and then teleport yourself on the ground if you wish to run around.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oH8A-ysOi7fgGLb_hMm8U6Tc3EPUel38/view?usp=sharing

Extract the zip file and move the folder into a folder called Mission in your DayZ game folder. For example my folder is F:\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\Missions

Then open DayZ, enable all DayZRP mods and go into parameters. Here you must select "Mission" and enter the path to the mission, i.e. for me it is F:\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\Missions\DayZCommunityOfflineMode.nyheim

988408822_Screenshot2021-07-18194653.png.0ad232b8c0a51a4362e5d20120df5947.png

Then simply press play, and you should spawn inside some vehicles under the ground (community offline mode is fking weird lol).

Edited by Kerkkoh
fixed link to drive
  • Legend
Posted (edited)

Don't think Nyheim is the issue in my personal opinion. I definitely don't want more entities adding anywhere near the city, I have to spend a good 3-4 minutes rendering everything in and stuttering badly just so i can play in its current state.

If anything i'd have said an entity cleanup is needed.

Edited by Para