Server time (UTC): 2021-08-03 11:12

Dynamic Events: "The Mutated.."
TODAY | 2021-08-03 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 7 hours, 47 minutes | Nyheim City

Mentor Program

Nyx

Mentor Program  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Diamond

Something was said in a current community discussion and a thought came across.
Maybe with the new map, people returning, new people coming in that the Mentor Program would be beneficial.
It could help people understand the rules and get involved in a variety of ways.
My question basically is do you think this will be beneficial to bring back?

If so, i'd take it upon myself with some others to get it up and running again - unless staff wished to take care of it themselves (however they already have enough duties to deal with).
Just kinda wanna see the general consensus of what people think about the program and if it could be beneficial currently.

• Administrator

I was the one that started this mentor program and would much like for it to return, but as @Roland has stated it can not be ran by the staff team, which is why the thread is no longer in my hands, among other reasons. 

If you would like to transfer to the Mentor Program, you would have to request that from @TheGlassSpider.

I hope this could be reinvigorated.

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

I think this is an excellent idea. A decent portion of the group I am running with are new guys to the server.

It has been really fun to teach them the ropes, and I think it has helped keep them motivated to continue by letting them piggyback off of some goals the group already established. Overall I can't see this kinda thing to have any negative impact so why not?

Edited by Thersty
Clarity
  • Diamond

I wonder who mentioned it in the other thread? 🤔

Jokes aside, I do think the mentor program would be good to come back; however, I do think it needs to be run like a staff like structure. 
I understand the conflict of interest and why Roland would not want staff to run it, but I do think that there needs to be some responsibility held within it for it to run properly. 

Not that I am saying I know how it was run before, but for it to have an effect, I would think it would need to run rather proper and not just willy nilly anyone can do it. 
I think the best way to do it would be for staff to elect trusted individuals to do it and have them run it if they are willing. These people are supposed to be ones to help introduce people into the community and help them understand the rules and general roleplay atmosphere. We wouldn't want individuals who have been found guilty in multiple reports of breaking the rules showing an individual the ropes around the community just because they are a willing body. 

So, as much as Roland would like to have a staff hands off approach, I do think there is some responsibility that needs to come from staff as an administrative standpoint for the program to work and have a positive effect on the server/achieve the goals the program is intended for (ie. approve/elect individuals as mentors, plus make it a title and hold mentors to higher standards, such as staff are held). 

TL;DR -  For it to work there needs to be dedicated people who are trusted to run and work the program. Otherwise there really isn't going to be a point in having the mentor program because it would just fade away as it has in the past and not be effective at all. 

• Owner

Just an idea I had recently that I remembered after seeing this thread. I think we can accomplish the same thing (if not better) by group leaders (aka council) trying to recruit more newer members to approved groups and them learning by playing along with the group as a whole and making friends in the process. It would be mentorship by group, rather than by individual mentor like in the past.

• Diamond
2 minutes ago, Roland said:

by group leaders (aka council) trying to recruit more newer members to approved groups and them learning by playing along with the group

Not a bad thought but I think that’s not what Council members signed up for. On top of that, like I said, we need trusted individuals who can be apart of this program to help show the ropes. We all know there have been Council members in the past who would not be a good fit for this program. Some are even permed from the community. On top of that some groups are very closed circled. Making council members take on newcomers may make those individuals feel more ousted. 

• Legend
32 minutes ago, Roland said:

Just an idea I had recently that I remembered after seeing this thread. I think we can accomplish the same thing (if not better) by group leaders (aka council) trying to recruit more newer members to approved groups and them learning by playing along with the group as a whole and making friends in the process. It would be mentorship by group, rather than by individual mentor like in the past.

Not gonna work. You can't force people to play with people they don't know so the likelihood is you will have too few people actually volunteering for this to be effective. 

• Titanium

Aaaah the good Ol Mentoring program.... If it ever start up again, I would very much like to be part of it again! When it was Buddy who was in charge of it, I was a Mentor and I would like nothing more but to be part of it again!

New players need a clear and obvious place to go when they need help or advice with RP related things.

• Emerald
Posted (edited)

Im down to be a mentor, therefore i would like to see it make a return

+1

Edited by Niller
made more constructive
  • Lore Master

I'll gladly volunteer, not just as a mentor but also a direct LM they can always DM whenever they have questions regarding such things.

(not that they already couldn’t, but then it’s official at least.)

• Lore Master
2 hours ago, Roland said:

This would be brilliant, actually, assuming group leaders agree to it. They’d have an environment that would be welcoming to them, and not be burdened with that overwhelming alone feeling newbies get on the server when they sign up solo. +1 million to this.

I think this would do so many great things for the server. On top of a mentor program, I believe some additions could be made to the newcomer guide.

One idea I have, though it may be a bit grand (how dare I for stepping out of line) is to set up videos that model roleplay encounters. It wouldn't take much, just two (or more ofc) players interacting to showcase how an encounter should and shouldn't go.

I honestly think more community involvement in getting new players accustomed to the DayZRP ecosystem could only be beneficial, if these new mentors are chosen wisely, of course. 

• Titanium

I completely supported this idea from @cjackson821 before I was notified it was already a suggestion. I think Roland's idea of having the council ranks, aka group leaders run this is the best approach.

I would like to say that for this to work, via my own opinion, group creation for newer players needs to get - harder...

I believe the following rule changes need to occur for group management in order to maintain a successful program.

1. You must have been whitelisted for at least 30 days - 60 days minimum

2. Add a cap to the groups - set to 20. Reasoning behind this? Well there are multiple reasons, but in short a cap makes groups spread out more - more creation, more mentors, more enjoyable RP from everyone.

Note: Do not take my follow up suggestions as a reason to knock this idea. The idea is grand but these very minimal restrictions in my mind make it more plausible to work. 

9 minutes ago, Alamor said:

-SNIP-

This reply focusses on your comment about the difficulty for approved group creation.

My group and I recently got approved. I won't lie, it wasn't easy. Don't get me wrong, I love writing about lore and developing a story within a story. But, it took hours of hard work and brainstorming to accomplish it. Is that reasonable? Absolutely. I think that those who want their group to be recognized on a server-wide scale should have to work hard and have a fool-proof story on the hows/whys. 

If my judgement is correct, the staff hold high expectations for new groups being approved. For example, our initial post was bare bones and got waves of criticism after the initial post. Most of this feedback was vague, and discouraged most of my group from continuing the process. But, we still believed our group would enhance the server experience, so I picked up the responsibilities of writing the lore. 

Thousands of words later, with intense and thoughtful dialogue between myself and @Niveouswe finally got approved. As of right now, your suggestions about hour requirements and a limit of 20 groups seem reasonable. But, I think these changes moreso ensure experience behind group creators -- not making the process more difficult. And I think that is good. Should folks need more experience before attempting to found a group? Yes. Should the process be harder as a whole? I don't believe so.

• Diamond

While I like the idea that council be involved, it needs to be on a volunteer basis.  Council changes quite frequently.  And the people who take up the mantle of running a Mentor Program needs to be stagnant, reliable.

If a person running the program leaves, or becomes inactive, then the next person in line takes over the thread or just overall running of the program.

I’d like to see a mentor program—I don’t remember it being around when I joined two years ago.  I still probably wouldn’t have joined, but that’s more due to social anxiety than anything wrong with having a mentoring program.

and I would very much like to help out, whoever decides to run it this time around.

• Titanium
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sackoftacos said:

-snip-

Well if I am being straight forward, nothing I recommended makes it harder to make a group other than time limit for the group leader. There are ways around this, simply recruit a player that has been around longer to post the thread and then you assume IC leadership. However, there is no foolproof system to ensure that leaders of groups are experienced. Even, members who have been whitelisted for 30 days might be at a different experience level than another member at 30 days. @Niveousis a great example of this, as she hit the ground running, getting lots of IC experience in her first 30 days.

The increased time period is more of a blanket req. to hopefully ensure than the council member has adequate experience to at least be a mentor in an OOC level. I mean if we're being honest we could make it a 6 month time req. and there would still be enough players to be mentors for the community.

The player cap is another thing, but that has multiple reasonings behind it, most important to this suggestion is to spread the knowledge around. Then again, one group could just end up being all experienced players, so in the end it would still heavily rely on community involvement for this to work.

That being said, my recommendations were not to become the centerpiece of this suggestion so I will comment no further. I love the idea of a mentor program and it seems like most who have seen this do too. 

Edited by Alamor
  • Emerald

Bring back the OG mentor set-up from 2016. It was a well-oiled program and produced quite a bit of quality role-players back then. Group ran wouldn't work imo.

• Sapphire
9 hours ago, Dan said:

Bring back the OG mentor set-up from 2016. It was a well-oiled program and produced quite a bit of quality role-players back then. Group ran wouldn't work imo.

OG mentor gang

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

The mentorship thread will be useful now with the amount of new people to the forum/server. In the past when it was around I don't think it was succesful/needed as there wasn't the influx that we have now, my memory may serve me wrong but I don't remember a huge influx like we have now. Regardless of that, now would be a good time for it. How it should run is a difficult one, as I know people will be hesitant in bringing new people in to their discords as a lot of banter happens in there. I think the best was is to have a Mentor Team on the forums with a private discord server for them, where the can play together and ask questions. And I guess seeing as I think its important, and my comments on a previous thread about this forum failing to introduce/welcome new players, I'll throw my name in and help out if the decision is made to bring it back. I'll help run it and be a mentor or just a mentor. I'm happy to discuss ideas with the current staff team in helping create this, if they want me that is.

Edited by Craig
  • Diamond
15 minutes ago, Craig said:

The mentorship thread will be useful now with the amount of new people to the forum/server. In the past when it was around I don't think it was succesful/needed as there wasn't the influx that we have now, my memory may serve me wrong but I don't remember a huge influx like we have now. Regardless of that, now would be a good time for it. How it should run is a difficult one, as I know people will be hesitant in bringing new people in to their discords as a lot of banter happens in there. I think the best was is to have a Mentor Team on the forums with a private discord server for them, where the can play together and ask questions. And I guess seeing as I think its important, and my comments on a previous thread about this forum failing to introduce/welcome new players, I'll throw my name in and help out if the decision is made to bring it back. I'll help run it and be a mentor or just a mentor. I'm happy to discuss ideas with the current staff team in helping create this, if they want me that is.

Im currently just waiting for the old thread owner to hand over the thread. Ive got a discord ready to go as well. Maybe we can collaborate 

• Support

From being an ex hostileRP mentor it was good the issues I always had was

1) People not using the mentor system
2) People not knowing how to utilize the mentor system
3) Buddy ran the whole damn thing (Along with help of volunteers)

If this was to come back id like to a senior member of the community and a high standard roleplayer running the whole thing. We broke down into different RP mentors aswell which was always a big help. We wernt staff kind of its own thing which I feel it needs to be for people to approach it without it being so "Formal" but we also picked up alot of people talked out of reports in agreement to come to mentor ship (Not all did) but it was a big tool. Implementing people into groups is hard and to be honest I dont think will really benefit since you're not being mentored as closely as just talking to someone OOCly and running through scenarios, rules, ideas, what you can do etc.. etcc.

• Diamond

If it were up to me, I would just go ahead and make a new 'mentor thread' and not wait for the person to come back and hand it over. If the mentorship program is going to be introduced its needs to be done sooner rather than later, and waiting for someone who may not log on anytime soon is not good or they might not even hand it over cause of whatever reason. Staff should just ask someone to do it seeing as Roland doesn't want staff to run it.

Posted (edited)

The mentor program can be done by any of us at any time. Anyone that wants to can just open it. The only thing that stops this from happening is that someone needs to just take the initiative and do it.

It just can't be done by staff.

Edited by GreenySmiley