Server time (UTC): 2021-08-06 03:15

Dynamic Events - Contracts / Mutants
TODAY | 2021-08-06 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 15 hours, 44 minutes | Nyheim City

Id like to Start a Discussion

Hello fellow Survivors

After playing on this server for a few months now, I’d like to ask the much smaller groups, what was your experience? Did you in fact enjoy the RP or was it alittle over bearing with the Constant Hostile RP? 

Do you feel like the argument can be made that this server caters to the bigger groups but forgets about the little man and women? 

Im writing this to get kinda an idea of what the climate is. 

Thanks much. 

• MVP
Posted (edited)

I personally have to disagree with the statement "Constant Hostile RP"
You can easily avoid getting robbed and stuff if you don't look like an alpha bravo hippopotamus and don't talk smack to the groups (or individuals) that have an influence on the server. 

If you have the right friends, you can also easily avoid getting robbed and things like that. It really all depends on how you act (and dress) to be quite honest. 

I think the server is fine. It's had it's ups and downs in the 6 years I've been here but at the end of the day I have met some life-long friends in this community and I would not trade it for anything.

Edited by Luca
4 minutes ago, Luca said:

You can easily avoid getting robbed and stuff if you don't look like an alpha bravo hippopotamus and don't talk smack to the groups (or individuals) that have an influence on the server. 

If you have the right friends, you can also easily avoid getting robbed and things like that. It really all depends on how you act (and dress) to be quite honest. 

I think the server is fine. It's had it's ups and downs in the 6 years I've been here but at the end of the day I have met some life-long friends in this community and I would not trade it for anything.

Thank you for your response, to me the hostile RP finds you regardless. For us we were raided 3 days into the server because “Insert Reason here”. Now don’t get me wrong ive had great RP. But it can be very over bearing sometimes to the point that folks just leave in flocks because they can’t further there RP with a character. And have someone else RP shoved down throat (Figuratively) obviously. 

• Game Master
1 hour ago, GhostAlpha said:

Do you feel like the argument can be made that this server caters to the bigger groups but forgets about the little man and women? 

I think that's more a mechanics thing than an actual server rule -  all things being equal, 10 people will always have more pull than 1 person, its just the nature of things like voting, farming, fighting, building etc, the more people you have the more successful you will be.

Depending on the scenario, I think one person can have a lot more power over the course of an interaction and story than a group of twenty. For example, if I wish to permanently kill a hostage, engage in torture RP or execute someone for lying to me demonstrably, I require the hostage's permission for this as the rules protect them more than they promote roleplay. In that specific scenario, the little guy is looked after.

Overall, DayZRP is very much about who you know and your reputation. Folks who tell you to just "make friends" are being disingenuous, this community is hard to be on the outside of and its often unintentionally unwelcoming to newcomers, but if you stick with it and find some level-headed folks to band with, you're in for a hell of a ride.

• Support

I dont need to say a word. Luca already explained everything, you got what you sow with your roleplay.

I never got robbed in nyheim and its simple, my character are wise enough to pick where he will stay and where to smalltalk.

• Legend
7 minutes ago, Luca said:

Pretty much this. I've avoided being robbed (except during the event) for the greater part of a year. The last time I was robbed by a group was I think October? 

Build a rapport with the groups, don't be an insufferable asshole, and don't be a walking loot pile, and you'll be fine. 

Also learn to read a room. If something seems fishy, leave before you become involved. 

And for the love of God don't run towards firefights. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Luca said:

Bascially what she says, keep to a minimalistic look, dont go around looking like your a soldier or someone ready to fight because that'll only invite people to attack you. Challenge invites competition and people who will want to take that challenge. Have a civilian like look and keep whatever you got hidden in your clothing. There are many people who will just chill and have a causal conversation with you, just be a normal dude and respectful and you'll be fine. Yea sure big groups are able to dominate because they have the manpower to back them up if something happens. 

Example, big group chills in a town and just enjoy themselves. Member of big group gets insulted or has someone throw some shade at them. Member calls rest of big group over to teach the guy what happens when he's a dick. Dude isn't able to retaliate and just forced to take it because he's heavily outnumbered.

If you're a small group or alone go make friends, join other groups, make allies with other smaller groups. When I first joined I was alone, I met with some people in game and stuck close but otherwise just mainly chilled on my own. Yea I got robbed here and there but it was from the rare always hostile/wanting to be a powerhouse type of people. Wasn't till I met @Duke in game and actually started to get involved with others sticking with some permanently and gaining that strength to defend myself if something happened.

Have to agree with the OP. Whats happened to some groups / players from what ive seen since launch... you could call it harrassment. Can see why people are chosing to leave.

To me I believe a lot of it has to do with OOC relationships. I’ve had a close friend that has more time on the server tell me that multiple times. I am actually active duty military and extremely busy. To me my Roleplay ended up being “Hey guys what are we doing today” and went from there. And found myself tortured and water boarded which was pretty funny to me, I enjoyed it. 

for someone that doesn’t have a lot of Time you end just getting ran over. As I mean for small time gamers you don’t really have time. 

• MVP
6 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Example, big group chills in a town and just enjoy themselves. Member of big group gets insulted or has someone throw some shade at them. Member calls rest of big group over to teach the guy what happens when he's a dick. Dude isn't able to retaliate and just forced to take it because he's heavily outnumbered.

Pretty much this, except this also involves people that have friends in many other groups and will most likely get their friends from other groups to help them out and vice versa. 

Gotta help the homies, no matter what group they're in.

• MVP
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Talford1004 said:

Have to agree with the OP. Whats happened to some groups / players from what ive seen since launch... you could call it harrassment. Can see why people are chosing to leave.

I mean this statement is just harsh my dude. Like everyone else above has said, if you don't look like a walking pile of military loot and you don't talk smack, you have nothing to worry about. Also try not to have a rust base full of gear, that attracts liberation.

There is no harassment about this. If you don't change anything that got you in trouble in the first place, you're just doomed for the long run.

I have literally avoided being robbed since launch of nyheim and the reasons are as follows

1) I don't talk shit about people
2) I don't look like an alpha bravo hippopotamus
3) I have the right friends
4) I don't run towards firefights
5) I hang out with different people from different groups, I have their backs and so they most likely will have mine if it ever came to it.

I've only been shot once, and that was my own fault because I initiated on a guy and then his friend sniped me but only grazed me.

Edited by Luca
Posted (edited)

I can be honest, I have noticed even if your not all kitted out you will still be messed with. It seems to me what luca is trying to say is. " If you dont have friends in the sever or know anyone higher in the community youll get messed with" Which i dont think this is what you ment, unfortunately i have noticed not everything on server is the reason why people are leaving, most of it is because of politics and OOC relatinoships. There will always be ups and down on any server, but there has been more "drama" or "questionable" decisions during this new map which has been accounting to the slow dip in player base, but i am sure things might change soon once things calm down and things come to light.  ((forgot to add the rest)) But i feel like finding a good group and friends can be helpful, and hopfully smaller starting groups can come together and make alliences

Edited by PrimalKing92
  • Emerald

How many times we have seen the same post being brought up now...? Anyways, nah. If you get hostilized by a group of people or just by everyone constantly, the problem is you a hundred percent. You either do something wrong or you are with the wrong people that are probably doing something wrong, whatever it is I am sure the community is not the problem.

#StopPonchoGaming

• MVP
5 minutes ago, PrimalKing92 said:

I can be honest, I have noticed even if your not all kitted out you will still be messed with. It seems to me what luca is trying to say is. " If you dont have friends in the sever or know anyone higher in the community youll get messed with" Which i dont think this is what you ment, unfortunately i have noticed not everything on server is the reason why people are leaving, most of it is because of politics and OOC relatinoships. There will always be ups and down on any server, but there has been more "drama" or "questionable" decisions during this new map which has been accounting to the slow dip in player base, but i am sure things might change soon once things calm down and things come to light.  

You wanna know why I think dayzrp player count is declining?
I think it's because people can't build giant rust bases anymore, so they got salty and left. And that's the truth.

Just now, Luca said:

You wanna know why I think dayzrp player count is declining?
I think it's because people can't build giant rust bases anymore, so they got salty and left. And that's the truth.

you could be right, which i can see as well. Along with a few other factors i have been seeing and hearing, but im sure things can always change, that was a really good point!

1 minute ago, Timberwolf said:

How many times we have seen the same post being brought up now...? Anyways, nah. If you get hostilized by a group of people or just by everyone constantly, the problem is you a hundred percent. You either do something wrong or you are with the wrong people that are probably doing something wrong, whatever it is I am sure the community is not the problem.

#StopPonchoGaming

Thank you for your response, I don’t think so. I believe a lot has to do with how people view you. But thank you for saying I am the problem. I appreciate the constructive criticism. It helps me develop to be better and better. 

It is tough. RP is a privilege around here and you need to work for it. It is a RP server but it is still about surviving (if you are not rolling with 20 people). You still need to be aware of your surroundings. Get to know who is who. When to just turn the other way and run and when the trouble is brewing. Advice about gear and stuff is good will save you some trouble but still environmental awareness is the key.

Did you in fact enjoy the RP

Yes

was it alittle over bearing with the Constant Hostile RP? 

I'm out here posted up in the city being pretty annoying and I haven't gotten initiated on once.

1 hour ago, Luca said:

You can easily avoid getting robbed and stuff if you don't look like an alpha bravo hippopotamus

Big facts right here. Generally the people who get robbed the most are those who look like they're most worth robbing. Who would waste their time trying to stick up a guy who doesn't even have a backpack? "Give me your fancy suit! On second thought it holds less than my Gorka Jacket. Can I just have permission to execute you?"

• Diamond

And here we have the thread that pops up every few months when things don't go peoples way or there's
an influx of new members joining/coming back.

Constant Hostile RP.
Maybe you're putting yourselves in a position as this? Because I have yet to experience this constant hostile rp you speak of.
I personally felt there was a lack of hostile rp on my end, but that's due to the position my character is in, in game. 
We dont have any enemies currently.

Basically, how did your character get into this whole 'constant hostile' state they are in.
Surely, through RP, there's a away out of it.

Bigger groups do sometimes have an influence, but I have seen PLENTY of people who are on their own, or running in a small two man duo that have made it work.
The server does NOT cater to bigger groups at all.

• Diamond
54 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Folks who tell you to just "make friends" are being disingenuous, this community is hard to be on the outside of and its often unintentionally unwelcoming to newcomers, but if you stick with it and find some level-headed folks to band with, you're in for a hell of a ride.

Couldn't say it any better myself. I've been in this community for 6 years, and I've always thought that there could be things that this place could do (Not only staff but all of us) better when it comes to new players. I was lucky to make a friend (who tendied) who then introduced me to some other people. I was then lucky to make friends with @Stagsviewin the loremaster position and I've been in groups with him and others that I met through him. The people in Cerna liska, Dead Batteries and now more recently The Transporters. (I made other friends but they don't play DayZ anymore)

My advice is to be active on the forums, participate in discussions, create discussions and just generally have a presence on here, I didn't when I first joined and I was here for a good year or two without knowing many people,  and only 2 or 3. Another piece of advice would be to get yourself involved in the RP on the server, don't hide away and avoid people because 'its my play style' this is a roleplay server, it requires more than just you sitting by yourself. Get involved with stories and groups, then you will naturally meet people OOC when it comes to handing out radios //Discord info. Being involved in their RP storylines advances yours and also gets you talking with them OCC, which could lead to a good friendship. I didn't do much of that when I first joined, I just RP'ed with the same 2 to I would say 8 people IC and like I said I was here for years before you could say 'had presence' on the forums or on the server.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Craig said:

I've always thought that there could be things that this place could do (Not only staff but all of us) better when it comes to new players.

This 100%. Unironically donated to stop being a Whitename years ago. Jokes aside - there is a very real and observable phenomenon - The majority of vicitims and assailants of KOS/Bad kills/Bad RP have less than 5 hours on the server.

It is my opinion that I have observed most reports are between new players who got approved a week before... Its new people misunderstanding how to do things and creating a bad experience for other new people... (IMO)

Edited by Stellaboy
  • Diamond

I think there are multiple reasons a newcomer could feel "unwelcomed" and I put it in quotes because honestly its their own fault. 
First they don't understand the rules and think they are the hero in their own story. Which I was probably guilty of when I first played, but people think they are some John Wick wanna be and act tough toward the wrong person. I think a while ago we had the mentor program to try and combat this issue but I wish it was implemented better and stayed around more. 
The other issue is newcomers usually a closer connection to gear rather than roleplay and it seems to be vice versa for veterans. So an opportunistic hostile roleplayer will not miss the opportunity to get ahold of some of the stuff a newcomer likes to hoard in their 200 slot backpack. 

I treat everyone one the same when I come across them in game but the newcomers make it blatantly obvious who they are because of their inexperience. This isn't GTA RP and it shows those who think they can treat it as such. Are there people out there who take advantage of it? I'm sure, but to sit there and cry they are victims and it's the veterans players fault.... I don't think so. 

On the other hand, I do think focusing back on the mentor program would be a great bit of help from the administrative side to help combat the unwelcoming feeling that some people may have. I do agree that having friends or a group can create a more welcoming atmosphere for those who think its not. When we had the bar in Berezino we always tried to take people under our wing and show the ropes when we could (probably why we had so many people) and it was a positive for sure for a lot of people. 

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

Thank you for your response, to me the hostile RP finds you regardless. For us we were raided 3 days into the server because “Insert Reason here”. Now don’t get me wrong ive had great RP. But it can be very over bearing sometimes to the point that folks just leave in flocks because they can’t further there RP with a character. And have someone else RP shoved down throat (Figuratively) obviously. 

Me and my guys have been dealing with something similar. As a matter of fact two of my guys were robbed 3 times in one play session and they don't dress or carry things like they are Solid Snake. Gonna try to do better to avoid it but I don't think we have done much to invite it either.

(Just an observation but everyone on the side of 'I don't get messed with' has 1000+ hours played and clearly have OOC clout, so it could be a factor.)

Edited by Thersty
Clarity
  • MVP
13 minutes ago, Thersty said:

As a matter of fact two of my guys were robbed 3 times in one play session and they don't dress or carry things like they are Solid Snake. Gonna try to do better to avoid it but I don't think we have done much to invite it either.

What is the problem with that? I see this mentality a lot where people getting raided or robbed is seen as something bad. If you get robbed 3 times that means 3 times people have put in the time to give you specifically some RP which can evolve into a storyline and give you something to do ICly. Because if not for those things you will play on the server for 1-2 weeks gather loot then stop playing when nothing happens. Raids and robberies are what keeps it interesting and give people something to do and I don't think we should look at them as "harassment" but an actual opportunity to develop some RP.