Jump to content

Server time (UTC): 2021-08-04 22:57

Make Nyheim more challenging?


Thersty

Vote  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

  • Diamond
Posted (edited)

Just feel like things are a little too easy at the moment... Weren't automatics supposed to be like really rare and sought after? I hear people blasting away hundreds and hundreds of rounds like there is no shortage.

The environment also hasn't seemed to be much of a threat, of course you can run into a pack of wolves or a bear every once in a while but it's not super common in my experience. 

Another thing is, considering how much it rains and Nyheim located inside of the Arctic Circle my character rarely gets cold even when soaked.

Just curious how some of the other people feel about some the aforementioned things.

I feel like if there was more challenging things to overcome it would deter some of the hostile RP the server is plagued by right now.

Edited by Thersty
Added Poll
Link to post
  • Emerald

I completely agree. It's incredibly easy to not only survive but prosper. There's is canned food in every 3 building and it seems everyone I meet has a decent calibre automatic. 

Depending on where you are situated however, there's many wolves, less so in the centre of the map (as expected) but due to the previous point mentioned, it's easy to dispatch of said threat without taking a hit. 

In short; Less high-end guns, less canned food (as there's is alot of animal spawns) and a colder climate would fit the environment and timeframe more so than what we currently have. 

Link to post
  • Support
36 minutes ago, Thersty said:

Weren't automatics supposed to be like really rare and sought after? I hear people blasting away hundreds and hundreds of rounds like there is no shortage.

On the contrary, I struggle to find ammo. But that might be because SKS is now the heavy lifter and everyone and their grandma seems to carry one. I don't even dream about automatics.

 

37 minutes ago, Thersty said:

The environment also hasn't seemed to be much of a threat, of course you can run into a pack of wolves or a bear every once in a while but it's not super common in my experience. 

You clearly hadn't been at Snohaug, our base location has wolf pack attacks in about every 15-20 minutes. It is an ammo sink.

Link to post
  • Diamond
32 minutes ago, Isylon said:

On the contrary, I struggle to find ammo. But that might be because SKS is now the heavy lifter and everyone and their grandma seems to carry one. I don't even dream about automatics.

 

You clearly hadn't been at Snohaug, our base location has wolf pack attacks in about every 15-20 minutes. It is an ammo sink.

I personally don't use automatics often but I have tons of ammo in general as well as for the automatics which I do own.

But I hear groups of people offline raiding bases by just spraying literally hundreds of bullets at walls, I feel like ammo shouldn't be so easily expendable. Y'know?

 

I have been up there and I will admit those were the times that I DID see wolves haha, thanks for your input man 🙂

Link to post
  • Moderator
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Thersty said:

 

But I hear groups of people offline raiding bases by just spraying literally hundreds of bullets at walls, I feel like ammo shouldn't be so easily expendable. Y'know?

 

There’s no such thing as offline raiding. 
 

Nonetheless, if things aren’t “hard” for you it doesn’t mean it’s easy for the next person. I believe the map is well balanced but the loot is not. Food and water are very easy to find. Weapons, you can find easily on people. And zombies are not a threat. I’d like to see the temp be dropped a little bit. Patiently waiting for winter Nyheim. 

Edited by tz
Link to post
  • Diamond
34 minutes ago, tz said:

There’s no such thing as offline raiding. 
 

Nonetheless, if things aren’t “hard” for you it doesn’t mean it’s easy for the next person. I believe the map is well balanced but the loot is not. Food and water are very easy to find. Weapons, you can find easily on people. And zombies are not a threat. I’d like to see the temp be dropped a little bit. Patiently waiting for winter Nyheim. 

Fair point. I do have more experience on the game so I could see how someone new could struggle.

 

BUT, as someone who started out playing vanilla DayZ mod... I find standalone much more forgiving to new players.

Link to post
  • MVP

Temp is set to Chernarus afaik so ppl didnt freeze to death while trying to RP but yes should maybe lower a little.

Loot was hard to balance prior to release as we couldnt test with full server up, might need some tweaking.

Weapons are in the same category but as we finish more of our scrap guns we plan to reduce the weapon spawns further, this also applies to ammo which will become craftable.

Overall balances might be needed and its natural that it took some time to find out whats working and whats not.

Im not 100% sure about @Kerkkoh
s vision about how difficult the map should be, all I know its made with RP in mind.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Thersty said:

Another thing is, considering how much it rains and Nyheim located inside of the Arctic Circle my character rarely gets cold even when soaked.

Very good point. +1 to making Nyheim significantly more environmentally challenging. Make it colder. Make it rainier. Make it important that we find warm shelter almost constantly. Counter Argument- the year is 2070, how significant is climate change, have lore countries detonated nuclear devices? Have abandoned reactors exploded? That asided id even give zombies 5x HP but increase headshot damage x10.

3 hours ago, Thersty said:

Just curious how some of the other people feel about some the aforementioned things.

I agree 100% in terms of environment. In terms of loot, you might hear a lot of automatics, but im unsure how many are left to be found....

 

Link to post
  • Diamond
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Stellaboy said:

I agree 100% in terms of environment. In terms of loot, you might hear a lot of automatics, but im unsure how many are left to be found....

 

Thanks for the feedback, more on your loot statement though, I can say I have found so many automatics that if I can't sell them or I already own one of that variety, I just leave them around or give them away at this point. Maybe I have just gotten lucky but I have a surplus and every time I've been robbed so far its a group 7+ all fully kitted. 

But this is just my experience and I understand it is probably different for others.

1 hour ago, Misho said:

-SNIP-

Glad to hear it and that is completely reasonable. I can say I am probably biased because I have 78 hours played on my current Nyheim character and most of that time outside of the first few days the map launched I'd say 90% of my roleplay ends up being hostile and it can be frustrating as someone who likes a healthy balance. These changes you are telling me though I feel like could help a bit with that.

Edited by Thersty
Clarity
Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thersty said:

I can say I have found so many automatics

I have a few hours on Nyheim. Found one naturally spawned skorpion, and one MP7 abandoned at a trader. That's really been it for me. But also maybe I don't know where to look. I don't hit military areas too often...

Edited by Stellaboy
Link to post
  • Diamond
4 minutes ago, Stellaboy said:

I have a few hours on Nyheim. Found one naturally spawned skorpion, and one MP7 abandoned at a trader. That's really been it for me. But also maybe I don't know where to look. I don't hit military areas too often...

I usually hang around the city, but if you go inside PLIKT HQ they have a few barracks and everything and you can usually find one or two there.

....its not like PLIKT is ever around to stop people

Link to post

I agree. I mean, I know out of a pure RP perspective it should perhaps be easy to "build" your character. But yes, it would be damn cold that far up north, maybe not in the summer. But I'm hoping there is something in the works for winter when that hits.

As far as CLE goes I agree. Food, guns and ammo should be rare af, since it been fk 50 years in the apocalypse.
Perhaps introduce the ammo making mod or even static stations so you could make your own bullets. 

Link to post
  • Owner

We wanted to avoid a Namalsk like situation where a large influx of players cleans up everything in the city and there's absolutely nothing left for players who come to play after. We know it's not ideal, but it was better than magically spawning everyone cans of bacon for them to not starve to death or get frustrated with dying because they can't find a gun or ammo. With time the loot tables will be adjusted based on your feedback, like this one 🙂 

Link to post
  • Diamond
36 minutes ago, Ingal said:

But yes, it would be damn cold that far up north, maybe not in the summer.

I looked this up prior to making my post and the REAL city of Alta, Norway which is just west of where Nyheim is canonically located, even in July the average temp is lower than 60 degrees Fahrenheit... 

Link to post
  • MVP

I hate the survival aspect of the game, it is the exact reason why I dislike Namalsk. I understand why people like it but I have spent too much time in this game and honestly I'd rather not sit by a fire every 10 minutes. It bored me in Namalsk and it will bore me now.

Link to post
  • Legend

DayZ's worst mechanics have and always will be when it attempts to add realism / challenge to its survival. It's wonky mechanics are dumb, illness is a buzzkill and dying of starvation because you got unlucky is a zzz. Zombies punch wonky and there's no real way to counter them, even through non-lethal means. 

Tl;dr: DayZ is a fantastic platform for RP but an awful survival game.

Link to post
  • Game Master

I think in due time we will see loot changes, but keep the suggestions coming if you want to see a change to be honest.
As for right now, I'd like to see it become a little more challenging, but like Para said, DayZ in itself is a terrible survival game.

As for the suggestion, can you please add an unbiased poll to ensure its following the Suggestion Guidelines? Thanks.

Link to post
  • Diamond
5 minutes ago, Cal said:

I think in due time we will see loot changes, but keep the suggestions coming if you want to see a change to be honest.
As for right now, I'd like to see it become a little more challenging, but like Para said, DayZ in itself is a terrible survival game.

As for the suggestion, can you please add an unbiased poll to ensure its following the Suggestion Guidelines? Thanks.

Ah, my apologies. I haven't really been an active forum poster until recently so still learning.

I'll keep my opinion out there though and see if people agree, just wanna make the server better for everyone 🙂

Link to post
  • Diamond
41 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

I hate the survival aspect of the game, it is the exact reason why I dislike Namalsk. I understand why people like it but I have spent too much time in this game and honestly I'd rather not sit by a fire every 10 minutes. It bored me in Namalsk and it will bore me now.

Never play "The Long Dark" then haha, but yeah I understand that. Even the way you made it sound kinda made me a little more reserved on the idea. But maybe if it was tweaked just right, to where unless you're in booty shorts and a t-shirt/not moving around much/soaked then you would be cold?

Link to post
  • Sapphire

The cold of Namalsk was something that kept me really interested while playing on there.

I would be down if we got a lighter version of that.
Having to hunt for food and scavenge for scraps would be fun, especially if w e also implement bullet crafting and some scrap guns.

Link to post
  • Emerald
7 minutes ago, Knight said:

The cold of Namalsk was something that kept me really interested while playing on there.

I would be down if we got a lighter version of that.
Having to hunt for food and scavenge for scraps would be fun, especially if w e also implement bullet crafting and some scrap guns.

I agree with this, Harsher weather would be cool. Have that extra element of survival that might make people stay inside an extra night out of fears of freezing to death.

Link to post
  • Diamond

I loved the survival aspect of Namalsk.  But I can also understand how frustrating it would be if this hindered RP too much.  On top of that, Namalsk’s cold didn’t really factor in very well that people get used to the cold/are already used to the cold, and so they wouldn’t be freezing nearly as often as I happened to on the island.

 

A lighter version that won’t cause people to die just because they want to wear something other than heavy clothes?  I’m all for it.

 

and also the gun thing.  I wasn’t expecting everyone and their mother to have good weapons by the end of the first day—but it doesn’t surprise me.  Id say turn that stuff down, but it won’t really change anything unless the amount on the map is capped like it was on the past.  
 

and I can’t really speak for animal spawns… I haven’t really ventured that far out of the city for very long >.>

Link to post
  • Developer
11 hours ago, Misho said:

Im not 100% sure about @Kerkkoh
s vision about how difficult the map should be, all I know its made with RP in mind.

We had tons of wolves, zombies, etc. but testers said it was too hard. So now it’s easy mode? Idk.

I would personally rather just RP than worry about huddling next to a fire every 2 minutes. It do be annoying as hell.

Anyways, any mission edits, balancing, etc. are now doable by the big man and @Whitename so you can then blame them when it becomes too hard hehehe.

Link to post
  • Diamond

If you could add the Namalsk freezing effects - that would be stellar!

Frozen canned food or some mildly arctic conditions - granted it is Summer currently.

Link to post
Posted (edited)

I do think it is too easy to be kitted out as is. Even if you never go to a military zone to find weapons, you can just head to your closest trader or community center and pick up any one of a dozen military spec weapons.

Personally, in terms of weaponry, I think it would be interesting if shotguns and hunting rifles were the "main" weapons you could find. Anything automatic should be extremely rare, and if possible have a hard limit on the amounts per server.

While I do like survival elements, I do understand that many people don't like them. I think just toning down the loot spawns for guns will go a long way to correcting the broken "economy" on the server right now. Food availability could also be toned down, to force people to hunt and trade more, but I do not see that working without a much bigger server population. I think the medical supplies are fine as is, but that is just me. I would not do too much with changing the weather, because IMO cold weather is quite boring. It just forces people to be static around fires more often, and be less dynamic.

So in terms of the viability of changes, I would order it as so:

Weaponry Loot Table Changes > > Food Availability Rebalancing > Medical Availability Rebalancing > > Cold Tech

Edited by comm_ash
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...