Server time (UTC): 2021-08-03 10:19

Dynamic Events: "The Mutated.."
TODAY | 2021-08-03 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 8 hours, 40 minutes | Nyheim City

Disallow colored text in reports

Whitename

Do it?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• MVP

Not to call anyone out, but colored (especially multicolored) text is super super super annoying on reports and hurts my eyes. I have to go into Chrome's accessibility settings and turn on a high contrast mode just to read reports. Some color is fine to like embolden the template prompts or something but making your report like a rainbow isn't necessary. Might just be me bitching for no reason but I suggest not allowing people to put unnecessary random colored text in reports. Just use the regular color.

That being said enabling high contrast and switching to DayZRP Lite theme makes it easier on my eyes so even if the result is a resounding "no" I'm not worse off accessibility-wise.

Edit: I should have explained that it should be a guideline to avoid random colors, not a rule that you get points for. Sorry!

• Diamond

I don't care either way honestly. But it does look more professional with out the color. But again, I don't care really. 

• Game Master

Yes.
Reports are not there to show off your creativity with colors. Keep it professional, and to the point. Use the default text color.

• MVP

I don't think it is that big of an issue to make a rule about it. Just get a mod to remove all the color if it is that bad and the issue is fixed.

Personally I think it's alright, it's not like you find rainbows, but just some colouring to properly emphasize what needs to be emphasized.

• Emerald

Not to fussed, overly coloured reports can be abrasive to look at but I understand why some highlight certain points. Perhaps staff should make a suggestion instead of a rule? 

• Sapphire
Posted (edited)

maybe just let staff edit it if its too colorful.

no need to make a new rule for it.

Edited by Knight
  • Diamond
Posted (edited)

No points should be given out for it and no rule needs to be there like others have mentioned but simply have it in the report guidelines with mods changing the colors if needed.

Edited by Eagle
  • Owner
13 minutes ago, Knight said:

maybe just let staff edit it if its too colorful.

no need to make a new rule for it.

You are insanely annoying and you know it. 😄 

• Sapphire
3 minutes ago, Roland said:

You are insanely annoying and you know it. 😄 

I take pride in my work.

sorry for giving ya'll a hard time.

Yes please.

In some scenarios I can see that using coloring effects can help with creating text that is better to read. The Bold, Italics and Underline features should remain as they are not screwing with readability as much as colors are. But extensive use of colors should be taken care of.

I have an example of how NOT to do reports:

Spoiler

Yes, this is a meme, but it's about the coloring effects and how they screw with readability.

It would just help everyone if we stick to the default colors.

• Sapphire

Yes please disallow it. It's done by a select few who think that the rules of anything don't apply to them.

• Emerald

Honestly leave it to Staff the literally hit edit, select all, change to normal text. 

Some use of it is normal like said to emphasize points, but yes excessive use can be obnoxious to read.

• MVP
6 hours ago, AndreyQ said:

I don't think it is that big of an issue to make a rule about it. Just get a mod to remove all the color if it is that bad and the issue is fixed.

That’s what I mean, it doesn’t need to be in the rules but if somebody could go in and just remove it when they see it, it’d help me not have to go in and mess with color settings just to read

• Diamond

I think colour can be useful sometimes to accentuate certain words or parts of a chunk of text which even I do however I can see the issues of having overly a lot of different colours in the text. Especially if someone is colour blind they may have issue reading it, instead of making a new rule persay we could perhaps come to the understanding if something is too offensive to the eye/hard to read, we as the staff simply take it upon ourselves to edit it and fix anything that needs to. 👍

• MVP

Updated OP to clarify that I wasn’t looking for an entire new rule but rather a guideline. Sorry for the confusion

• Emerald

I put a color code though 😞

So staff knows whats OOC, keypoints, and whos talking. 

I think its a little more organized in my opinion. 

Its helpful so you know whos talking and there is no confusion or if something is OOC.

It looks pretty too 🙂

• MVP
1 hour ago, Final Krullix said:

I put a color code though 😞

So staff knows whats OOC, keypoints, and whos talking. 

I think its a little more organized in my opinion. 

Its helpful so you know whos talking and there is no confusion or if something is OOC.

It looks pretty too 🙂

In my eyes they’re more than capable of working that out themselves, maybe @Hofer needs a little bit of hand holding but the rest of them are fairly competent. 

It just hurts my eyes to see a rainbow trying to read reports.  

• Diamond

Nah, I love adding some color to my reports to emphasize particular parts. Perhaps it should be a general rule of thumb to not multicolor past 2 colors? 

If it’s a problem to read, just copy and paste it into another app and change the color? 

• Emerald

nah 

colour code helpful 

if staff wanna edit it they can

if you dont wanna read it...dont?

• Diamond

hard no my autism thrives off of the pretty colors  -1 

its useful, sometimes people take it way out of hand but its not like it is troll or anything. 

• Administrator

The Gamemaster team has full discretion over the reports and the way in which they are written, if they feel the way they are written are inadequate then they can simply adjust it. There is no need to be anything in writing for something as simple as this.

• Diamond

I like the colors adds more character to the reports but also I like that when used the right way it can call attention to certain things people or actions kinda like a TLDR I say leave it who cares as long as Staff can read it and edit the colors if its needed for them I see no issue for a rule to ban colors from reports.

• Emerald
Posted (edited)

This is funny lol

Just write your little POV and upload that video and everything will be fine. Adding all that blinding color is crazy and just makes your post look immature and stupid. Do what you need to do and let the staff handle it. 

So I guess that’s a +1 for this 

Edited by Dan