Server time (UTC): 2021-08-01 04:33

PLIKT -- O-Squad Patrol -
TODAY | 2021-08-01 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 14 hours, 26 minutes | Nyheim City

First Last Name Guideline Change

SHIESTY Dongle

change what is a 'sensible and realistic name"   

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Diamond

100% agree. The Devolution that most people enjoy to roleplay now lines up perfectly with less then normal names. For example I've met more then a couple people roleplaying as tribe members, using names such as Jennifer or Mark. Kind of hinders the immersion for those interacting with them and I'd like to think they themselves aren't a fan of being forced into what I see as a needless guideline. Especially with the active staff community we have to regulate when someone's unique name is trolly. 

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

less societal names are already allowed.  are there names that are being shot down or something?  cuz we've got dog breath, dicky ruzzbocks among others.  as long as they're realistic and sensible, i don't think staff will be shooting down names.  if someone is running around as a "normal" name, then it's something they've chosen to do, i would think.

Edited by kalyri
  • Diamond
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, kalyri said:

less societal names are already allowed.  are there names that are being shot down or something?  cuz we've got dog breath, dicky ruzzbocks, and a bunch of others on the scrap rats roster.  as long as they're realistic and sensible

I was told by an admin, names of such like my Shiesty Guy character are not allowed which is a terrible thing despite the unique RP they all contribute to the server.

Edited by SHIESTY Dongle
  • Emerald

Your character was born only 1 maybe 2 generations into the apocalypse. People wouldn't just stop using names like they have for over thousands after only a generation or two.

• Diamond
3 minutes ago, SHIESTY Dongle said:

I was told by an admin, names of such like my Shiesty Guy character are not allowed witch is a terrible thing despite the unique RP they all contribute to the server.

I'd say that's not a good decision on the part of the admins.  It's not trolly, it's just a unique name.  I'd understand a name like Deez Nuts or some shit.  But not Shiesty Guy.  Especially considering the other names allowed through.  Either keep the rule the same for everyone, or don't have the rule.  

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Your character was born only 1 maybe 2 generations into the apocalypse. People wouldn't just stop using names like they have for over thousands after only a generation or two.

By that logic, we shouldn't have a name like "Dog Breath" as a character on the server.  

• MVP

In a devolved society like the ones our characters are forced to live in due to a 50 year time gap, people would be making up names for themselves all the time and a lot of the tribal people would likely toss out normal sounding names. It's actually really immersive to have a mixture of both types of characters. Some that have adopted new names for themselves that fit their image and their societal ranking as well as other "normal" people who had the privilege and knowledge of the "old world", so to speak. The world was thrown into chaos by the infection and this is the result. It allows for a diverse range of character archetypes and I personally love seeing what people come up with in terms of names. I say let people make the names they like for their characters, but keep it within reason, like with what @kalyri posted above me about silly/trolly names and such. I feel like that should be pretty obvious.

• Diamond

I'm not sure about this. I'd be ok if we removed last names though. Simply being called Bob or Robert instead of Robert McAllen. 

• Emerald
52 minutes ago, kalyri said:

By that logic, we shouldn't have a name like "Dog Breath" as a character on the server.  

it can be a nick name, but you're right. Not your full name.

My 2 pence:

If your character background gives credibility to your less than normal name, then you should be allowed. 

However, even the greatest character background written by the hand of Agatha Christie would be at the discretion of the admin, who have final say if they feel your character name is a troll/meme no matter the context. 

• MVP
21 minutes ago, Taffinator said:

My 2 pence:

If your character background gives credibility to your less than normal name, then you should be allowed. 

However, even the greatest character background written by the hand of Agatha Christie would be at the discretion of the admin, who have final say if they feel your character name is a troll/meme no matter the context. 

Thing is, admins can be wrong about things. They're only human, after all. It's up to us community members to help in suggesting the standards to be set for the sake of our own immersion, because if we say nothing and let things be, things might not change in our favor. Hence the entire point of the thread and conversation at hand. With that said they do indeed hold the final say, but at least we can say we tried, right? I know a lot of people who agree with the sentiment that it's unfair that Shiesty Guy got deleted, and figure it's a double standard since plenty of other people chose similar themes for their character names. Refer to Kalyri's posts, honestly. 

• Game Master

Coming from a personal opinon - I don't see a problem with people running around calling themselves 'less than societal' names.
That being said, having your character name as such is different - there is a reason there is an Alias section in the Character Page, and you're not needed to provide your 'CP' name in your Role Play at all if you'd rather go by your Alias.

A quick follow up however, names that seem 'less than societal', but have a detailed backstory to explain how and why their name is the way it is, I think should be 100% allowed.

• MVP

With the current lore it makes sense for some people to have the names they do. If you were never given a name and never got called a normal name it makes no sense why you would just put one as your character's. I see no problem with people having unusual names as long as it is backed up by a well written and explained backstory. This is where the LM and Admin discretion comes into place.

• Diamond
2 minutes ago, Cal said:

A quick follow up however, names that seem 'less than societal', but have a detailed backstory to explain how and why their name is the way it is, I think should be 100% allowed.

I believe this is how it should go. If the names of the characters have a legit backstory and aren't just a troll character (which admins/staff can easily spot) then I think they should be allowed. The restrictions on names is kinda ridiculous. Staff discretion should be used.

• MVP
4 minutes ago, Nyx said:

I believe this is how it should go. If the names of the characters have a legit backstory and aren't just a troll character (which admins/staff can easily spot) then I think they should be allowed. The restrictions on names is kinda ridiculous. Staff discretion should be used.

That's how this has been done. There are people that have very clear crazy names and had the backstory to back it up so they were allowed.

• Diamond
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

That's how this has been done. There are people that have very clear crazy names and had the backstory to back it up so they were allowed.

Sadly not in my case, I was told by an admin specifically that it isn't allowed. I'm not sure how much staff are following guidelines anyways, I've had my character deleted without a msg or anything in the past week as well but that's besides the point. If its allowed I would've loved the chance to have a sit down with a loremaster and get my character approved.

If it is allowed then this suggestion is a waste of time and I apologize 

Edited by SHIESTY Dongle
  • Diamond
5 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

Then i dont believe all staff are in the same page as ive seen several characters with backstories that made sense be deleted.

• MVP
2 minutes ago, SHIESTY Dongle said:

Sadly not in my case, I was told by an admin specifically that it isn't allowed. I'm not sure how much staff are following guidelines anyways, I've had my character deleted without a msg or anything in the past week as well but that's besides the point. If its allowed I would've loved the chance to have a sit down with a loremaster and get my character approved.

I don't know much about it, but as far as I know and do correct me if I am wrong, your backstory probably didn't have much detail to it and didn't explain too much why your character was called Shiesty Guy. Add on top of that the fact that it had a superman picture in there I am sure you can see why some admins thought it as nothing more than a meme. But again I never read the backstory so maybe I am wrong.

• Diamond
2 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

I don't know much about it, but as far as I know and do correct me if I am wrong, your backstory probably didn't have much detail to it and didn't explain too much why your character was called Shiesty Guy. Add on top of that the fact that it had a superman picture in there I am sure you can see why some admins thought it as nothing more than a meme. But again I never read the backstory so maybe I am wrong.

You are 100% correct I did not put much effort into the character but the  next I will. The reason behind the deleting was a combo of lack of effort and name. If those are the guidelines this is why I'm suggesting a change but if the rules already allow me to make a true character and name him Shiesty Guy with a good back story and a real reason of my name I will but I was told it wasn't allowed AT ALL, so I made this, but like I said above if it is allowed great and this was a waste. 

• MVP
4 minutes ago, SHIESTY Dongle said:

You are 100% correct I did not put much effort into the character but the  next I will. The reason behind the deleting was a combo of lack of effort and name. If those are the guidelines this is why I'm suggesting a change but if the rules already allow me to make a true character and name him Shiesty Guy with a good back story and a real reason of my name I will but I was told it wasn't allowed AT ALL, so I made this, but like I said above if it is allowed great and this was a waste. 

Honestly, I don't know why you were told you can't have that name at all, that's gonna have to be something you need to bring up with the admin that deleted your character page because I know just as much if not even less than you do as to why that decision was made.

All I can comment on is the general situation when it comes to character names. We can use Dog Breath as an example of a character with a "different" name which has a good backstory behind it and as such there were no issues there.

So yeah, what you are suggesting should and is already allowed, I am not sure why in your case specifically you were told you can never have that name, maybe some people just don't like fun.

• Diamond
1 minute ago, AndreyQ said:

So yeah, what you are suggesting should and is already allowed, I am not sure why in your case specifically you were told you can never have that name, maybe some people just don't like fun.

I'm not sure but I will definitely get into contact with a loremaster and get my character straightened out. I really enjoyed Shiesty and the RP I was creating. I would love admin confirmation on the guidelines cause it seems they are not solid or known widely across staff. If this is allowed it would be nice to see it at least specified somewhere as well

4 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

this is one of the best characters on the server and the last thing I would wanna see  is an admin delete it without notice.

• Owner
50 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

All I can comment on is the general situation when it comes to character names. We can use Dog Breath as an example of a character with a "different" name which has a good backstory behind it and as such there were no issues there.

Just to clarify, that name as it stands is not allowed, it will have to be changed. Just because someone is a good role player, has a great back story or has a special rank doesn't mean they don't have to follow the standard rules and procedures.

46 minutes ago, SHIESTY Dongle said:

this is one of the best characters on the server and the last thing I would wanna see  is an admin delete it without notice.

It won't be deleted without notice, we don't do that. We ask the owner to adjust the name and I can do that without deleting the page.

On topic: I like the FirstName LastName convention. Saves us plenty of work dealing with troll characters. It's a naming convention that wouldn't go away within a lifespan of single generation. When you role play in game you can introduce yourself and use whatever name you want and doesn't show in game unless you text RP, so I don't see how this rule restricts your in game role play.

• Emerald
Posted (edited)

@Roland Can one still use the name from the alias slot from the CP as the parameter on the client? If yes I dont see the problem here.

Edited by Lucky Luke
Original question was incoherent.
  • Diamond
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Roland said:

It won't be deleted without notice, we don't do that. We ask the owner to adjust the name and I can do that without deleting the page.

I would hope to believe this to be the truth but recently one of my characters was deleted without a notice. but that's besides the point.

17 minutes ago, Roland said:

When you role play in game you can introduce yourself and use whatever name you want and doesn't show in game unless you text RP, so I don't see how this rule restricts your in game role play.

immersion and meta 

im out of beanz ill toss more out tomorrow thanks everyone for the feedack

Edited by SHIESTY Dongle
  • Emerald
Posted (edited)

50 years in future, most of the world is ravaged and desolate.. highly doubt someone would call their kid 'Bryland Bristopher Woods' still

+1

Edited by Banksyy
  • Rover locked this topic