Server time (UTC): 2021-08-04 23:45

What is the best way to fix the trader economy?

What is the best way to fix the trader economy?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speaking from ignorance, not sure how the trader system works. We learned there is a basic supply-demand sort of system, but it isn't working for a simple reason - There are far more seller than buyers. For most players the traders are their sole source of income. I would assume 90% of people visiting traders are more interested in selling than buying.

This means that traders quickly fill their inventory capacities, and these inventories rarely decrease since players are rarely buying anything. Therefore, I suggest that unsold items are automatically removed after a specific amount of time, removing these items from trader inventories and allowing them to be respawned and resold.

Here's some basic idea options for "fixing" the trader:

● Trader inventories automatically remove unsold items after a fixed amount of time (Speculative Simplicity)

● Trader inventories reset at fixed intervals, such as weekly, biweekly, etc... (Simple Staff Oversight)

● Expand trader inventory capacities (Simplest option, but not preferred)

Edited by Stellaboy

Perhaps this problem has already been resolved? Maybe inventories are wiped at fixed intervals and I am totally ignorant to this fact? Please let me know if this entire suggestion is a non-issue so that I may request it be closed.

• Emerald

I believe once again the developers could answer this one better, but Ill try my best based on what I have understood.

I dont think we can make changes, because it is an external mod and would require permission from the author.

My personal opinion would be to just remove the trader mod alltogethor. Let the players take care of the economy.

This might be slightly off-topic, but Id also suggest bi- or trimonthly wipes to further help the economy.

• Diamond

Should just remove the traders. The mod is clearly having its issues and its an outside mod anyways. 
Plus the amount of people that are just like drones is annoying. Flying around looking for loot to sell and then standing in front of the machine not talking to anyone.

Get rid of the machines! 

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

I'd like to go back to the old Traders but only the Civ Trader that sold all ammo, unlimited. As well as all the survival gear and meds. Base Building items would be best on there as well as placable structures and storage. It would clean up the city. Only sell Civilian rifles and shotguns and even backpacks and clothing. All military junk can be SOLD but NOT purchased. 

Player ran traders have been tried for the years I've been here and they never last longer than a week before they are robbed of everything and give up after trying again and again. That's why I want the old Trader but only for Civ stuff. Players can pick up for Military Gear Trade and leave some of the ammo and Civ equipment and guns for the Trader. Or they beat the Trader's prices. The old Trader allowed us to add more items, including Modded items to be bought and sold. (If I'm not mistaken) The current Trader Mod is clearly not working as intended and has stagnated the economy. At least the old Trader Mod worked. 

Edited by Crimson
  • Emerald
43 minutes ago, cjackson821 said:

Should just remove the traders. The mod is clearly having its issues and its an outside mod anyways. 
Plus the amount of people that are just like drones is annoying. Flying around looking for loot to sell and then standing in front of the machine not talking to anyone.

Get rid of the machines! 

Couldn't agree more, whilst I see why having a currency adds to RP, the cons of trader mods out way the pros. We were doing find prior to them being added and we will do find without them once again. 

These are very interesting opinions to see! Personally I like the traders as a source of income, but many of you are correct in your observation that accumulating money is meaningless since there is little of interest to buy.

Personally I think we should remove a lot of the traders, and relocate the bank to PLIKT-Nyheim.

Another idea - many wish to do away with traders altogether while understanding the lore value of money. Perhaps one of PLIKTs functions could be distributing money in exchange for turning in loot - such as and including automatics. And perhaps PLIKT can sell special and unique items. A big critique isn't toward trading in general, but the lack of RP involved in trade. Perhaps trade can be a function of PLIKT? Hell id be fine with PLIKT safe guarding the only vending machine, and tightly regulating access. I dunno. Theres a lot of perspectives on this, and your collective criticisms have made me realize money is worthless in the grand scheme of things - there is nothing worth buying, and no one ever carries cash.

There are always gonna be loot drones that jump out of their skin when you attempt to talk to them. No matter if vendors exist or not.

I prefer the vendor system we had before. Atleast then I can get what I needed and get on with my rp. Instead of running out to an already cleared of any of the good stuff areas.

• MVP

Definitely the last three options. I liked when you could trade certain clothing items and other items, even if they were only 1 krone. I felt like an actual scavenger to some degree, just trying to get enough krones to get a single can of food.

Expand the trader items, allow unsold items to vanish after set time, and completely wipe traders after a week imo. Keep the loot cycle moving instead of just set at the traders.

• Diamond

Get rid of them, gun vending machines 50 years into the apocalypse isn’t exactly immersive.