Server time (UTC): 2021-07-31 05:12

Lore Event - "The Scientists"
TODAY | 2021-07-31 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 13 hours, 47 minutes | Nyheim City

The Volunteers [WIP PLIKT Loyalists]

Hello all!

So after a few debacles, I ended up posting a group to group ideas a little too soon. I plan to create this group if sufficient interest in membership is expressed. I am now reposting the archived thread details here, to gauge interest. If sufficient interest is expressed in this group concept, then I will request that mods unarchive my original post in group ideas. 

Foreword - I just made one forum blunder (posting a WIP in group ideas) and I hope that reposting/sharing an archived thread is not another blunder - if it is, please lock this thread, I did not intend to violate any rules regarding reposting archived threads.

Here's a screenshot of the thread information in question - please let me know whether you think such a group should exist, and if you would be interested in participating. Thank you.

2131392190_Volunteers(2).PNG.4042a576c48baa2458cfeaa84e9c355c.PNG

Edited by Stellaboy
Posted (edited)

An Afterthought

Many people would say that PLIKT is "the worst" with respect to lore on oppressive regulations & human rights.

This group, the volunteers, we are "the worst of the worst." We either got kicked out of or rejected from PLIKT, but we still want to help them.

We also want to help ourselves too. We will solicit bribes, tolls, and taxes. We won't be outwardly hostile, however we may physically block a path and refuse to move until a tax is paid or a gun is raised. We will usually stand down - as a citizen militia we aren't optimized at combat. We wont initiate on players who refuse to pay taxes, tolls, or bribes, and we will generally back down and comply when initiated on.

We aren't all bad, and our RP will be geared more toward acting as vigilantes who solicit "donations." We will initiate on players to intervene on behalf of victims of violent crime or robberies. Outside of this we won't attempt to investigate or punish other crimes, such as contraband possession, vandalism, rioting, group assembly, petty theft, or political demonstration/criticism/opposition

Edited by Stellaboy

Cool concept tbh. Historically speaking, every authoritarian regime has had its fair share of fervent supporters outside the regime itself. On top of that, something lots of people forget is that Nyheim is, despite its problematic authoritarian leadership, a beacon of civilization in a very dead world. 

• Diamond
4 minutes ago, Iceinfly said:

something lots of people forget is that Nyheim is, despite its problematic authoritarian leadership, a beacon of civilization in a very dead world. 

This exactly! The reason people came here was mainly due to the radio beacons telling everyone how great the plaace was, and we were invited. All we needed to do was follow the rules. Its a shame we dont have as many people "Keeping there heads down" but enjoying the live provided in the walls. 

• Diamond

I would actually go deeper - as a PLIKT volunteer.

The other thread indicates a few things which I don't want to re-roll.

uJVDZeq.png

According to this graphic, I'd go "all in" without touching the PLIKT base or staff faction, but by adding a player group that can manage to cover the gaps when "classic PLIKT" isn't online as it's once-in-awhile (every other day, with breaks of course) event based deployment under staff supervision.

The alternative I see opposed to mere "unaffiliated loyalists" or a "militia lite" can be seen on the right side of the graphic. A quasi-official or very closely tied organization that can fill a niché and with a tweaked (or softer) jurisdiction. Said faction would cooperate with PLIKT / staff faction closely, maybe be occasionally be outfitted by them at least for base things like uniform parts, the rest they could manage to obtain. It would be like a normal player group with slight twists or tweaks. The name can be tweaked of course, but imagine "PLIKT lite" or a less formal part in the overall government structure, like a 'militia' of sorts.

They key aspect here is to fill the general government faction with "life", to simulate city RP, at least remotely like I've seen it like in HL2RP. This isn't supposed to become a carbon copy but we can take and 'copy' ("combine", heh) many things from there in how to make the city more of a unique hub. If PLIKT can't /won't change their deployment rules etc, have a closely affiliated player group that yes, even goes as far to take over some tasks PLIKT would do. In this case, the group could be 'cursed' to try to handle the outer city perimeter, so it doesn't turn into a PLIKT (classic) competition, but an addition, a prolonged arm, with different vibes. Staff / "PLIKT classic" can still be deeply involved. Members misbehave? Judge/punish them IC.

I see little room for problems by "outsourcing" a sub-branch of the govt (as "militia" or whatever) - but lots of room for potential. If need be, vet people and / or add custom rulesets for the (player) faction to guarantee certain standards or things.

----

As for a potential civilian (government) branch, I feel that would be up to staff to decide - unless this can be outsourced to (vetted?) players as well. But for now I see room for a "PLIKT lite" faction.

What do you think? I honestly see little downsides by adding a sort of "PLIKT militia" under PLIKT (and staff) command but that can play more freely and sorta simulate a "rough PLIKT presence" throughout the day.

Posted (edited)

You guys get it! @TheBishop@Iceinfly   ... something like corrupt populists... you know those wannabe cops that drive cop cars that say "Security" instead of "Police"? Security:Police, Volunteers:PLIKT
The mall-cop sympathizers of Nyheim, and who will proudly threaten to call PLIKT on you for selling drugs on their turf!

Here's some things I can anticipate the Volunteers saying:

"That's an interesting looking rifle on your back, PLIKT wouldn't approve, maybe they won't care as much if you pay a tax... just 10 Kroner..."

"I see that you are vending without a permit. If you pay a permit fee of 5 Kroner then this won't be an issue with PLIKT."

"Oh you're passing through here? Sure, i'll let you pass, but first, I would like to ask for a donation. Usually we ask for 3 Kroner, but we will accept whatever you are willing to donate. No a donation is not technically necessary, but I won't let you pass unless you pull out 4 kroner or a gun."

"Did you just buy something from that person? Did they charge you for sales tax? No? I am sorry but I need you to pay 1 Kroner and sale tax. We don't take pleasure in this, now we have to go fine the seller 20 Kroner for failing to collect tax!"

Edited by Stellaboy
  • MVP

I appreciate the effort and initiative the put this up. I for one will support such group as PLIKT does need some people to be on their side to make things interesting. You will need quite a few members to pull it off though. Maybe some will see this and be down for it.

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

TL;DR: I suggest not just being (wannabe) "mall cops" but an actual defense militia or sub-unit of PLIKT that handles, for example the outer perimeter and softly enforces laws as required, without taking over every job classic PLIKT does. E.g. maybe that "militia" (whatever its name might be) doesn't get to hand out IDs, but they could confiscate illegal firearms or equipment on their own accord. And they keep to the outer city by and large or only cover inner city at "odd times" / occasionally, so PLIKT can be PLIKT and this sub branch can be whatever.

Outcome: City RP gets a boost and general "Nyheim government" is still simulated. Win/win for all.

In turn, that "militia" would largely supply itself, meaning outside interaction (possibly) as well. The only thing they might get by staff/classic PLIKT is perhaps unique uniform pieces. Maybe a "Once in a blue-moon base equipment resupply" of basic things. But those questions are details. I would happily join a 'staff approved' closely tied PLIKT player faction that has its own tasks and that can deploy any time. A "player group +" sorta, on more even grounds.

Edited by Combine
Posted (edited)

Tell you what, I think starting a group is tough, and I need numbers. My plan for structure/organization is for the group to be extremely decentralized with three basic ranks - A, B, and C.

A's are just subgroup leaders, who have their own B's who have their own C's . . . etc . . .

I would appreciate if some subgroup leaders had different opinions, actions, etc than others. For example, you can take your job extremely seriously at the border, and I can be corrupt as fuck as the heart of the city. If we ever rotate, then I would probably charge false admission fees and let people walk in with contraband for the right price. It would be good if the group was internally inconsistent in this regard, it adds additional "flair" and really increases the importance of IC relationships and knowing the goals and motivations of different characters. Like you could be a more strict subgroup of Volunteers who people generally avoid, and when unsavory people see my subgroup they feel a bit more relaxed knowing I won't hassle them too much for the right price.

Edited by Stellaboy
  • Emerald
Posted (edited)

I would actually suggest the exact opposite of @Combine(no offence of course).

Instead of trying to basically be PLIKT, but unofficial. I would suggest trying to be exactly what the name suggests. Loyal citizens of Nyheim. People who PLIKT didnt accept or just people who believe that PLIKT is doing the right thing. Almost like a neighborhood watch style of vibe.

All in all though, this sounds like a great group idea. Being on side of PLIKT is a breath of fresh air as well.

Edited by Lucky Luke
  • Diamond
1 minute ago, Lucky Luke said:

Instead of trying to basically be PLIKT, but unofficial. I would suggest trying to be exactly what the name suggests. Loyal citizens of Nyheim. People who PLIKT didnt accept or just people who believe that PLIKT is doing the right thing. Almost like a neighborhood watch style of vibe.

Sure, that can be done as well. Or none of any aforementioned.

I personally just feel it would be not utilizing a certain potential as well (or fully). I can't see "loyal citizens" patrol the external walls or perimeter - they'd behave and do their thing in the inner city block.

The idea of a 'sanctioned militia' or sub-unit/branch is that they get a certain leeway and assist PLIKT actively (including having some different weapon laws apply to them, e.g. fully automatics permitted). Under certain conditions and being forced to be "lawful" or being put under command of PLIKT.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Lucky Luke said:

Yea, I very much agree with this sentiment. I want my group to be unique. At a lore level I would like to be PLIKT-wannabes. At a meta level we are our own group with our own goals. I would not want to be part of a group which is just a copy + paste of PLIKT. Additionally, I am interested in corruption, bribery, informal taxes tolls and fines, extortion etc.

Overall this group CANNOT be an imitation of PLIKT in meta, only lore. Fundamentally at a meta level this group simply isn't the staff faction PLIKT, this is a different separate faction, and it should have it's own meta, which it does, the meta being that "The Volunteers" are the rejects of "PLIKT".

Also, this group would not be remotely involved in clerical or administrative work. We are already rejects - we probably aren't gonna be very helpful as social workers and front line workers, unless of course, someone with talents decided to Volunteer and join us.

Edited by Stellaboy
  • Diamond

Well, to me personally, unaffiliated rejects/wannabes doesn't sound as enticing as a quasi sub-branch or sanctioned militia that does some outsourced tasks while being under loose or close oversight of (classic) PLIKT. To give an example, PLIKT (classic) could be the US Military, Police, FBI, whatever - and the ideal group I imagine would be the Border Guard Agency - not a few vigilante hicks with guns unfit to serve anywhere else.

I'm not saying what you look for as group is wrong or bad - but it would be a pass for me, might as well play classic PLIKT once in a while instead of random supporters.

3 minutes ago, Combine said:

The idea of a 'sanctioned militia' or sub-unit/branch is that they get a certain leeway and assist PLIKT actively

I need to distance myself from this comment - this proposed group of PLIKT rejects does not seek PLIKT's approval, and does not seek special privileges. We are not interested in receiving PLIKT's permission to provide assistance to them. And what we define as assistance is rather broad. We assist PLIKT by collecting all of these taxes, fees, etc - money that will be spent to ensure The Volunteers can keep civilians safe. The point is - this group is separate and distinct from PLIKT, and currently does not actively cooperate or work with PLIKT.

There is 0% entitlement in this group idea. If PLIKT wanted to harass and search the Volunteers we would comply, and wouldn't be frustrated that they didn't grant us special exceptions because of perceivably warm relations. The whole idea is this group does not need PLIKT to exist, conversely, this group believes that PLIKT needs The Volunteers to exist. "We don't need them, they definitely need us - oh also and we love them btw that's why we're helping!"

And let's break down the end of that quote "oh also and we love them btw that's why we're helping!" - our motivations as Volunteers is outwardly to "Help" PLIKT, however our methods do not need to be sanctioned by PLIKT, nor does "Helping PLIKT" need to be our sole motivation. We aren't just stupid mindless soldiers - we are people trying to survive. On top of that we are rejects. So corruption, poor morals, abuses of power, and failure to perform duties should be common place among The Volunteers.

I can't say this enough - PLIKT and The Volunteers are two totally different groups with different goals, motivations, and skills. The PLIKT are militaristic and disciplined. The Volunteers are casual and lazy. If you want to join as a highly enthusiast volunteer, then be my best, as aforementioned I would welcome "The Volunteers" being varied, with different sub-groups having totally different behaviors and goals. Maybe your group wants to enforce the law more than mine? The bottom line is that this group will not have a uniform standard of conduct, outside of overwhelming support for PLIKT.

• Diamond

Thanks for clarifying - as stated though that does not seem to be my cup of tea as I favor a somewhat more attached or formal branch or quasi-sanctioned unit/militia that gets to deal with messy outer perimeter or other unwanted tasks, for example scavenging outside to get in needed goods, etc.

Good luck with the group (idea), either way!

3 minutes ago, Combine said:

quasi sub-branch or sanctioned militia that does some outsourced tasks while being under loose or close oversight of (classic) PLIKT.

Yea, I already had a whole poll, thread, and discussion. it is very clear that no one wants to muddy the waters and blur the lines between Staff Group & Non-Staff Group. I sincerely doubt that PLIKT will grant us any sort of recognition or privileges, and frankly it is a bit overly entitled to expect this as well. My approach to creating this group isn't going to be begging staff to legitimize non-staff acting under the authority of PLIKT. I already beat this topic to death and it is clear that these are lines that no one wants to cross. The players understand the intricacies of a staff group. The staff understand the intricacies of a staff group. I have absolutely no interest in trying to further oblige/modify the staff group. It's just not going to happen, and these sort of goals will not contribute positively toward getting this group approved. Do you understand? We really can't blur lines here. A staff group sanctioning a non-staff group to fulfill functions of a staff group? I think a consensus against this has already been reached.

Things are clear atm and people want them to remain clear. Tell you what, let's make the group first, get on as The Volunteers while PLIKT is online, and actually interact with them and see what happens. They might straight up arrest us or expel us. Or they might accept some of our help. Either way, the foundation of this group will not be constructed in relation to anything "PLIKT Official", and will instead be constructed from our own perspective as "PLIKT Helpers". 

7 minutes ago, Combine said:

Good luck with the group (idea), either way!

Thanks! Good luck getting sanctioned by staff! Hopefully we get to play side by side as PLIKT soon. Or perhaps later you might be interested in The Volunteers 😉

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

(Just to add my views, not to argue or anything)

It's just not going to happen, [...]

Which is a huge disappointment in my book. Then again, for me it's rather simple. I come from HL2RP where I've been in lore groups. The notion I feel on the forums is that hell and chaos would unleash once you put any sort of active lore role onto the "normal player", when prior lore iterations have shown that it is very much possible to freely act without chaos ensuing, and so have other RP games or game mods shown. I could literally flag up as Combine (after I applied and was vetted) and be issued a spawn kit and play whenever I wanted in for example the inner city, without needing "deployment events" or staff (upper command) holding my hand all the time. I knew my role and (IC) jurisdiction and could act within freely any time or most of the time.

Of course I respect the current rules if they want to distinctively keep classic PLIKT as staff faction with occasional or what I call 'event based deployment' - I understand some things are needed due to how they structured it. But that's where my suggestion of an "affiliated player group" comes in to yes: Blur the lines a bit without making PLIKT redundant, while at the same time empowering it and city RP a bit.

But in the end it is what it is. I can invest my time and heart into suggestions, how they are taken or even considered is up to others however. If nothing changes, perhaps your specific group idea may help, even though I already stated what I would prefer over it.

But alas, time will tell.

Edited by Combine
Posted (edited)

Yea, I wish it was logistically simple for the server to host these functions. Unfortunately no mods exist presently for flagging. It's a nice idea, but I share your disappointment @Combine. Everyone has spoke: No staff = No PLIKT Play

I think I have 2 members presently - myself and a friend - I think you should consider making it 3. Trust me, you want to join early on so you can lead new recruits. I might be a rude corrupt slob, but you could be upstanding and take your work very seriously. Hell for all you know PLIKT might end up working with you. Well think about putting your name down to at least help get the ball rolling on the 5-member requirement.

Edited by Stellaboy
  • Diamond
1 minute ago, Stellaboy said:

Yea, I wish it was logistically simple for the server to host these functions. Unfortunately no mods exist presently for flagging.

A spin-off DayZ RP server that briefly existed, hosted by former and active members of this community literally had faction flags. Once you applied to a faction and joined it, your character got a faction flag (through admins/staff) and would spawn at a set base with base equipment (uniform / clothes, misc objects like food). The faction trader would sell you the rest like protective gear or weapons/ammo. Faction stock / payment could dictate how much you could buy from the trader - the rest you'd have to loot or earn/buy yourself.

It's thus possible to code - and apply here, if wanted. The only question is if staff wants this approach or if it's feasible due to how they set up various factions. But technically, it's possible.

• Diamond

This looks like it could be a cool idea, hopefully you find people to help you with this. I for one hope its successful.

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

This looks like it could be a cool idea, hopefully you find people to help you with this. I for one hope its successful.

Thanks for the good vibes! Hopefully this works out! Also if you run into us have a little bit of mercy - we just want 1-2 Kroners, not your whole wallet

Bumping this topic to discuss SMART Goals. From the Group Rules Page:

Group goals must follow the SMART goals and objectives principle. We use our own, slightly modified version:

Specific – goals must target a specific area for improvement or accomplishment.

Measurable – goals must be able to be quantified or at least suggest some kind of an indicator of progress on the goal.

Attainable – the group must be able to realistically achieve the goals and mark them as complete within a realistic time frame.

Relevant – goals must be relevant to the nature of the group and fit well with their back story.

Time-bound – specify when the goals can be achieved, must be within realistic time frame. It's a good idea to use days since the infection outbreak as an in game time measure.

GOALS

• Raise Revenue - Accumulate 500 Kroner for our general fund within 5 weeks via fees, tolls, taxation, donations, licensing, and sales
  • Protect Civilians -  Intervene to save civilians from violent threats such as zombies or robbers, with the objective of saving at least 5 people in 5 weeks
  • Illegitimate Regulation - Insist that civilians pay checkpoint tolls, sales taxes & licenses, automatic weapon permits, "Fining" or "Taxing" at least 5 people in 5 weeks
  • Establish Presence - At "Volunteer's Junction" on the south east side of Nyheim within PLIKT Jurisidction within 5 weeks
  • Maintain Checkpoints - At "Volunteer's Junction" where a total of 3 checkpoints will be maintained for 5 weeks
  • Insist on Donations - Will harass and insist at least 1 civilian donates per week, potentially initiating on them otherwise
  • Pill Sales - Sell a total of 20 medical pill items to civilians over the course of 5 weeks - objective is to sell at any price, even $1
  • Make Connections Meet a total of 20 other characters and record their visitation over the course of 5 weeks
  • Support PLIKT from afar - We will have a positive opinion of PLIKT for a minimum of 5 weeks, or until IC events sour relations
  • Recruit Volunteers! - Recruit a total of 5 new members within 5 weeks
  • Radio Broadcasting - Broadcast IG and on forums IC advertising "The Volunteers" at least once per week for 5 weeks to solicit donations & visitations

To anyone following this thread, can I get some feedback and suggestions on these SMART Goals? Do you think they are valid for approval? Side note, anyone interested in joining? The prospective roster is only 3 deep - we need 2 more people!
  • MVP
22 hours ago, Stellaboy said:

Our primary objective is helping PLIKT protect Nyheim's civilians, not participating in political conflict or group war

13 minutes ago, Stellaboy said:
  • Insist on Donations - Will harass and insist at least 1 civilian donates per week, potentially initiating on them otherwise
  • Pill Sales - Sell a total of 20 medical pill items to civilians over the course of 5 weeks - objective is to sell at any price, even $1

These two goals seem a bit off compared to the others. If you want to protect civilians - why rob/strong arm them for donations? Doesn't make sense to me, maybe explain?
If you want to protect Civilians, why not offer medical support? Maybe hire a doctor - could be a goal? Pill Sales as a goal appears like a little drug business on the side of the group  - if so, doesn't that cause trouble with PLIKT?

Instead of setting smart goals to a "over the course of X weeks" , I suggest you put the day until which you want to reach this goal. You can easily check on the time frame with the Main Page Day Counter:
c906832032.png

Example:

• Raise Revenue - Accumulate 500 Kroner for our general fund within 5 weeks via fees, tolls, taxation, donations, licensing, and sales [Day 50]

All in all I think the idea is good. Just a little fine tuning here and there.
If you work this group out to be a close PLIKT alliance, make sure to have their okay first. Don't powergame groups into friendship 😉
Also if you will work together with PLIKT who seem to have some enemies ig, then you might not be able to "not participate in a group war".

It's awesome that you put in the effort to work this idea out along with the help of the community.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Ron said:

These two goals seem a bit off compared to the others. If you want to protect civilians - why rob/strong arm them for donations? Doesn't make sense to me, maybe explain?
If you want to protect Civilians, why not offer medical support? Maybe hire a doctor - could be a goal? Pill Sales as a goal appears like a little drug business on the side of the group  - if so, doesn't that cause trouble with PLIKT?

In the OP I posted supporting details which justify this approach. The Volunteers are intended to be PLIKT rejects. Early I said "If PLIKT are considered 'the worst', then The Volunteers are 'the worst of the worst'."

We primarily support PLIKT, but under a simple premise - "They need us, and we are volunteering to help them despite prior rejections". We have feelings of entitlement as PLIKT wannabes which brings us into a moral gray area. If someone refuses to donate we may initiate on them. We have no interest in hiring a doctor as this will deplete revenues. Finally, we are selling drugs, carrying automatic weapons because we feel "entitled" to. Because our outward goal is helping PLIKT, we believe we are exempted from the regular rules applied to civilians. Whether or not PLIKT agrees will surely be a very interesting IC development.

34 minutes ago, Ron said:

If you work this group out to be a close PLIKT alliance, make sure to have their okay first. Don't powergame groups into friendship

Again, check out the OP. We are "helping" PLIKT as we see fit regardless of whether they accept or endorse us. We are not seeking an alliance or approval. We are humble Volunteers who use our Volunteerism to assert for moral superiority and exemption from laws. We are specifically PLIKT rejects who wish they were part of PLIKT. We are the worst of the worst, ineligible for their ranks due to corruption, drug habits, racketeering, and more. 

Here's a disclaimer I wrote in discord which I think reflects our position well:

**__DISCLAIMER - THIS GROUP IS NOT A SECOND PLIKT, A COPY OF PLIKT, OR NON-STAFF PLIKT, THIS IS A DIFFERENT GROUP ENTIRELY WHICH IS "PLIKT INSPIRED"__**

So to be clear, we aren't PLIKT, nor do we act like PLIKT. We are PLIKT supporters/loyalists who are a bit too undesirable/unsavory to be welcomed into PLIKT, or perhaps were previous members who got kicked out or failed out of training.

Whereas PLIKT is a formal disciplined military unit, The Volunteers are a self-motivated civilian militia. Even if PLIKT denounces us we will continue to provide our unwanted help through aggressively soliciting donations to further our "cause."

In another post I equated PLIKT to Police, and The Volunteers to wannabe mall-cops or security.

Sorry to write so much, I hope this cleared some things up for you.

Edited by Stellaboy