Server time (UTC): 2021-08-03 10:55

Dynamic Events: "The Mutated.."
TODAY | 2021-08-03 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 8 hours, 4 minutes | Nyheim City

Base raiding/Kill rights poll (looking for community opinions)

Is it fair that defenders have to make themselves known to gain kill rights during a raid on their own base?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the event of a raid on someone's base, from your own opinion do you think it is fair that the defender has to let the raiders know he is present to gain kill rights?

Looking for community opinions to see how people feel about this, depending on the answers I might make a suggestion of either specifying base raiding rules/changing the rule.

Please answer as unbiased as possible! Thank you! Feel free to comment to add more to your opinions!

Edit: Another concern of mine was inexperienced roleplayers might also be confused by current rulings and end up shooting a guy that gets through his door without making himself known. So heres another poll question.

Edited by Sirarxfatalis9

Yes, it is entirely fair to have to make yourselves known if you log in within your base. Otherwise what is stopping you from just JFKing a solo raider with zero interaction and simply just to defend your shit? 

Nah, hard pass on any change. Just because you have a base doesn't give you the right to KoS anyone to keep it safe. 

3 hours ago, Taffinator said:

Yes, it is entirely fair to have to make yourselves known if you log in within your base. Otherwise what is stopping you from just JFKing a solo raider with zero interaction and simply just to defend your shit? 

Nah, hard pass on any change. Just because you have a base doesn't give you the right to KoS anyone to keep it safe. 

It figures a Bandit would weigh in with literally anything that makes their job easier. It didn't take long for an overly massive bandit group run by mods to start snuffing out small groups (AGAIN), and for them to just pummel any suggestion that goes against their scorched earth play-style. I think if you are raiding someone base there is 0 reason you should be warned before being shot. Any attack on a person's property should be an initiation on them and they should be able to respond in any way they deem fit. Currently, the rules give attackers an advantage so when bandits roll 7 deep into a place there's nothing anyone can do, they just have to hide and watch or log out because...why even stay?

• Sapphire
Posted (edited)

This , plus how do you know the guy in your base is the first guy to raid it ? maybe your walls blown out by a different geezer and this poor soul just wanders in to scrap the scraps, you kos him but he hasnt touched a thing, making sure you net yourself a good few points.

Discussion only focused on
"but muh loot!" and not Roleplay 

Edited by Knight
  • MVP
8 minutes ago, Gallowglass said:

Currently, the rules give attackers an advantage so when bandits roll 7 deep into a place there's nothing anyone can do, they just have to hide and watch or log out because...why even stay?

All you have to do is let them know it is your place. Legit if you say "This is my place." and they begin/continue raiding you get rights on them. It's that simple.

The rule is there so that people don't log in randomly and start shooting at people raiding. If people can't just say a simple sentence to people raiding them then I really don't know what else to ask for in an RP server.

14 minutes ago, Gallowglass said:

It didn't take long for an overly massive bandit group run by mods to start snuffing out small groups (AGAIN), and for them to just pummel any suggestion that goes against their scorched earth play-style.

Not really sure why go for "overly massive bandit group run by mods" just say you are referring to the Scrap Rats, saves us the hassle. Plus I am unsure why this is mentioned here seeing as when we raid bases that have people there we initiate anyway so everyone gets rights.

• Diamond

High Risk, High Reward. I agree with shoot on site if you're being raided. Makes the reward all the better when you get away with something. The risk is a chance to get killed while doing so. So watch your back or have someone watch it for you. 

In the end, I don't care either way. 

I always announce my presence when I raid a base, I say I’m looking to trade 🙂 .

As a base owner, declaring that it’s your base and you’re in it and they shouldn’t be, could amount to some really good RolePlay. Imagine if it’s one thief and three of you come back to see him hopping over your wall. Dudes gonna have a real hard time. 

JFK ing someone in your base ends all RolePlay. Spice it up and have some fun. 

with that being said, big -1. 

• Support
Posted (edited)

Group aside (Personal opinion) , id rather roleplay someone out while raiding then blast down the doors and then blast whoever is on the other side and I think most people can agree. I also agree people who own bases and they are getting raided should have the right to defend them with killrights. What I dont want to encourage in any matter is people just logging in saying nothing and blasting cunts because "Killrights", aslong as atleast one person defending is roleplaying with one person attacking its makes for more roleplay, ransoms, hostages and whatever else you want to do to create storylines.

Person A is raiding person B

Person A asks is anyone home and hears no reply, Person B waits at the door and then blasts the person the second it is opened with 0 interaction even if person A had nothing out but a hatchet.

Did this create roleplay storyline or reassemble a public server interaction?

Now I get people dont want to put themselves at a disadvantage "BuT IF I TeLl HiM Im HoMe I CaNt BlAsT HiM" yea cool, but WHY NOT CREATE ROLEPLAY. Sure people end up shooting each other anyway after roleplay has occurred and it has escalated. You'll know voices, maybe names and can act on that information in the future. Its better than nothing BUT I understand where people are coming from and frustration.

TL:DR Defend your home how you wish, but if you avoid roleplay completely to get the jump on people then you're part of the problem. "BuT ThErE WaS 11 Of ThEm AnD OnE Of ME" then dont NVFL and roleplay a way out of it.

Edited by Gaylaxy
  • Game Master
32 minutes ago, Gallowglass said:

-snip-

Hey man, maybe if you're more focused on killing people for being in your base than roleplaying the situation out, maybe its your attitude that's the problem and not the raiders.

Having been in a group that spent the last 3 months of Chernarus lore dealing with nightly raids on our base, we just fought people until they fucked off and then made some friends. Would it be nicer for the defending party to be able to shoot on sight the second you cross the threshold of their base? Maybe for them, but for raiders or people expecting RP out of a raid, it shuts that angle down before it can even fully be explored.

36 minutes ago, Gallowglass said:

It figures a Bandit would weigh in with literally anything that makes their job easier. It didn't take long for an overly massive bandit group run by mods to start snuffing out small groups (AGAIN), and for them to just pummel any suggestion that goes against their scorched earth play-style. I think if you are raiding someone base there is 0 reason you should be warned before being shot. Any attack on a person's property should be an initiation on them and they should be able to respond in any way they deem fit. Currently, the rules give attackers an advantage so when bandits roll 7 deep into a place there's nothing anyone can do, they just have to hide and watch or log out because...why even stay?

All you need to do is announce "Hey, this is my base, what are you doing? Leave!" and if they carry on doing naughty business? Then go ahead and Saving Private Ryan D-Day opening their arse. 

Also, your salt is palpable. Have you tried the nomadic lifestyle? Works wonders to avoid a baseraid or so I've been told... 

• MVP
On 6/26/2021 at 11:34 AM, Gallowglass said:

-snip-

I’ve got no issues with how the rule set currently is, I’ve never supported an outright KOS rule even back when I helped run an RP hub that was hit constantly by raiders. This is the risk you take by having a base, whether there’s an abundance of gear in it or not. Just because you have a base doesn’t mean you should be exempt from some sort of RP before you start blasting. 

If even yelling a single sentence to people raiding your base is that much of a hassle then don’t have a base to begin with my man. 

• Emerald

This is a roleplayer server, why would I vote for a change that means no RP would take place if someone was caught raiding.

You make yourself known, if there’s someone at the base you want to raid and they respond, it adds RP to the equation of a raid. 
If no one is there, you start raiding and someone logs in and immediately blasts you, where is the RP in that situation? 

It can be frustrating and a long time ago I was slapped with a ban for just blasting someone when I logged in on them raiding me but looking back it was comparable to a dayz public server action rather than an RP server action. 

Taking the current lore into account and the map, raiding would be a completely justifiable and realistic scenario and so would killing the raiders on sight without interaction.

However, at the end of the day, this is an RP server and RP must come first.

-1 on the rule change

+1 on the explanation so we don’t get more threads like this anymore

• VIP

For me, and this is completely my opinion, breaking into someone's home whether you think they're there or not IS a hostile act. In my opinion, you're initiating on those who live there by busting down their walls or breaking through the door of their base. You're breaking into their HOME and "safe space". If I catch someone doing it, I should be able to instantly defend it. That should be the risk that someone is taking when they're breaking into another's HOME. If someone is hostile to you in other ways, you're allowed to defend yourself. Why should this be different? 

Now if you log into your base in the middle of it going down then yeah, should probably announce yourself. Out of courtesy. 

• Administrator

I'd rather not give people the power to KOS at will just because someone is inside their base. It doesn't promote RP, and is just a recipe for disaster. It takes less than five seconds to announce yourself and ask someone to stop. If they don't stop then feel free to use your rights.

• Emerald

-snip-

Hey man
If you have feedback on the lore and map, reach out the the map creator and the lore team. It seems silly to expect 'things to be different' when you play in a group that just collects things and trades. Not that I have any issues with that but when you want something different, don't also be the norm. 

If you have feedback for PLIKT, they have a thread! Go leave some feedback there instead of letting it get you down 😞

If you have feedback for the bandit group 'goofing around and running people out of the server', they have a thread! Go leave some feedback there instead of letting it get you down 😞

In my own experience with your 'not pvp-grey man gear lords' group, I was denied RP because of non-compliance. When threatening to execute a member of you group, I was still met with non-compliance. What was found at this base? Huge amounts of hoarded (collected) gear (RP)! That's ok though, I won't complain about it on a random thread because I'll leave feedback!

• Emerald

here we go again.

this is a roleplay server, not a loot and base building server.. or PVE.

Don't like the fact you've been raided? find out who it was and do it back to them. Its an RP servers and actions have consequences.. so instead of making a pointless thread maybe act on these consequences?

-USER WAS WARNED FOR A PORTION OF THIS POST-

• Diamond

i think if there is a change to be made, it should be that if you log on in the middle of your walls being blown up/knocked down, you get rights--but not if your walls and shit are already down

and if it's not already, it should be mentioned somewhere in a guide or the rules that this is how we do it

its stupid to make yourself known if someone is there breaking into your base, you wouldnt accounce yourself if someone broke into your house. "Oh hey im over here" Honestly also there should be a little more rules on the base side of things, since its a smaller map, and honestly not alot of hiding places lol. i cant go 20 minutes without running into people.

Edited by PrimalKing92

The way I see it, if you aren't required to give me a warning that you are going to break into my base, I shouldn't be required to give you warning that I am defending it. I should be able to perch atop a building 3 blocks away and zero in on your skull if I want to. You are the criminal trying to steal what I worked to acquire. Why should I be required to put myself at any more risk than is absolutely necessary to defend it?

And I will also say kicking down the doors of people offline and taking their stuff, or running around in groups and robbing solo players, all *just to do it* rather than to push anything, all with your enjoyment in mind, all without considering the person on the other end, isn't good roleplay." And here is why: Only one side is enjoying themselves. 

Last saturday around the same time there was a 40 person queue. As I type this, it is just after 5pm EST on a Saturday. And there are 74 people on. Next saturday there will be even fewer. Why? Because there is a long established faction within this community that thinks good RP is essentially griefing people. Either for simple kicks (when they do it to larger groups), or because they think that griefing people (solo and duo types) will force the folks being griefed to play "the right way." Meaning they will run out and join some large faction "as things are intended." 

Unfortunately for the server and the community, it just chases people away. The numbers don't lie. People came back in droves and were quickly reminded why they were on that long vacation from the DayZRPserver in the first place. Because they can't play their way. Because you have people that insist "this isn't an X server. And this isn't a Y server. It's an AB server and you can either get on board or leave." And... they leave.

There aren't any rule that can fix the issue. It isn't a rule issue. It's a people issue. The only thing that can fix it is people understanding that, on an RP server, everyone has a responsibility to each other to try and not ruin the other persons good time. That not everyone wants to play the same way you do, and that should be okay. If they aren't messing with your good time, don't mess up theirs. It's a mutual respect thing. It's a common courtesy thing. It is what is supposed to separate us from the teabaggers and spawn campers on the pvp servers.

And none of that is to say the server should be any more carebear than it already is. (Because, make no mistake, this IS a carebear server. It's just about as cuddly as it gets. Being some pvp master on this server is a lot like being the grown man at the park dunking on kids on the six foot baskets.) It just means "have a reason to do what you are doing and make sure you aren't ruining someone elses good time just to do it." If you are chasing people off the server with your style of "roleplay," you are wrong. Period.

That's my 2 cents on the matter. And it ain't even worth that. But there is it.

• Diamond

Base building should be 100% discouraged given the server impact on performance the the loss of loot spawns, therefore those who own a base should have no advantages.

• MVP

-snip-

You are wrong.

The only thing that isn't new here is people having misconceptions about others and putting them into boxes they don't even belong to just so that their inaccurate point comes across better.

So let me clear the air for you so that you can see the irony in your post. Two months ago, this guy Taff, this strong masculine stereotype that you have fought for hundreds of years in the fields of battle and the depth of hell, he was part of a trading group. Actually 90% of the Scrap Rats roster were all part of the same trading group. We would loot, sell cars, buy cars, go to the NPC traders and make money. Sound familiar to you at all?

Not only did we have a trading group but it was a really successful one based on people's feedback and guess what. We did it all with the same rules as of now. But instead of calling everyone that disagreed with us bandits and goofing gear lords we hoped IG and dealt with our problems there. When we got raided we fought back. When we were offline and our stuff went missing we went looking for it and didn't stop until we found it and made the people that stole it pay. We made deals and RPed with other people in order to maintain our neutrality and build relations.

The people you call bandits are the same people who literally played the exact same thing you are doing now just 1 month ago. So instead of categorized everyone into bandits just because they don't share your opinion maybe hear what people have to say without any prejudice.

People need to understand that maintaining a base is really hard but it can offer some really good RP. The rules we have are there to promote interactions instead of making the server into a Rust knock off. It is not hard for the owner of the base to just say a simple hello and tell people it's his place. That is all it takes. From there it's all roleplay and you never know whay will happen. You can strike a deal with the raider, maybe he will run away or maybe he will continue and which point you can choose to shoot him if you want.

When i made this thread I didnt want people shitting on each other. I just wanted opinions on base raiding and rule broadening. But it devolved into that by people making assumptions and dogging on eachother, from now on can we keep it on topic and unbiased? Thanks.

And for those who think this thread is pointless, if it was pointless there wouldnt be people who care about the issue and the rules in play.

• Game Master
11 hours ago, Sirarxfatalis9 said:

In the event of a raid on someone's base, from your own opinion do you think it is fair that the defender has to let the raiders know he is present to gain kill rights?

Looking for community opinions to see how people feel about this, depending on the answers I might make a suggestion of either specifying base raiding rules/changing the rule.

Please answer as unbiased as possible! Thank you! Feel free to comment to add more to your opinions!

Edit: Another concern of mine was inexperienced roleplayers might also be confused by current rulings and end up shooting a guy that gets through his door without making himself known. So heres another poll question.

The reason defenders have to make themselves known is because of the myriad of situations that could arise.

For example.:

Player A makes a base. Player A logs out.

Player B blows into the base, and robs it. Player B leaves the area.

Player C finds the base, already open, with no way of knowing its an 'active' base, as it looks like its a raided base, an old base, a decayed base, etc. Either way, Player C takes no hostile actions to 'break in.'

Player A logs in. Finds Player C lurking around his base, going through storage. Player A shoots player C assuming the player 'broke in'.

Example 2:

I'm an asshole, and I make a base. I then spend my day lurking in the woods 200 meters in a ghillie suit, and wait for someone to start trying to break in before shooting them. Rinse repeat.

• Woodzie locked this topic