Server time (UTC): 2021-08-03 10:25

Dynamic Events: "The Mutated.."
TODAY | 2021-08-03 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 8 hours, 34 minutes | Nyheim City

Adjusting Dayz Fistfights!?

TheBishop

Should we make changes to the Fist Fight Mechanic in Dayz?   

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

Hello all you lovely Boxers and Brawlers! 

I come bearing a suggestion I have had on my mind for some time. 
Reducing the stamina drain for punching and heavy punches!

Lemme quickly explain, the default system in Dayz allows for three heavy attacks in a row, followed by unlimited light attacks. 

Heavy attacks take approximately 30% of your stamina bar each swing, regardless of if it is an "Overhand" (Holding Shift for your first attack, leading to right hand heavy attack), Or if it is a "UpperCut" (Holding shift on the second attack, leading to a left handed uppercut!) 

However, due to the incredible stamina drain caused by these two attacks, Very few combos can be created before the fighter runs out of stamina and needs to back off to defend. 

It also prevents us from using the same combos as everyone else, such as a light attack and surprising with a heavy attack, or the famous heavy attack followed by light followed by heavy. These combos are forced to end while the attack is still happening, causing the fights to be Extremely short bursts of fighting, followed by people standing around regaining stamina 

This leads to simple one or two main swings during a volley, then the attacker backs off simply guarding until he can regain his stamina. THIS IS BORING!

I propose we reduce the Heavy attacks from approximately 30% to approximately 25% or 22%?? 

This will allow for more combos of heavy and light attacks aiming at keeping the attack and the defense. It allows for Defenders to Hold a pool of stamina to push back with a heavy attack when they are on the ropes! The goal is to keep the focus on maintain stamina, however it would allow for a Slightly bigger pool of stamina to use for different combos! 

This would also create a much more interesting mechanic for OOC practice and skill for fist fight characters, making your "King in the Ring Boxing Champion" Not just a name and a title that could be followed up with actual skill! 

Perhaps we could also reduce the damage done by fists? Or add in an Item like Boxing Gloves that would only do mostly shock damage? 

Edit: Perhaps also create the Boxing Gloves item to have reduced Shock damage as well? Due to the change in shot damage in 1.12 fistfights end far to quickly for it to be an event! 

How would the community feel about this change? I especially want to hear from the lovely @ImPurgeand the King in the Ring Group! 

If anyone has any other suggestions for the Fist Fight Mechanic in the game I would love to see it in the comments! 

Edited by TheBishop

i think this would be a good idea for this aspect.

• Game Master

Hello Bishop,
Can you please add an un-biased poll to your suggestion to be inline with the Suggestion Guidelines found here.

Thanks.

• Diamond
5 minutes ago, Cal said:

Hello Bishop,
Can you please add an un-biased poll to your suggestion to be inline with the Suggestion Guidelines found here.

Thanks.

Hows that? Ngl I got confused making the Poll! Lemme know ifs confusing...

• Game Master
1 minute ago, TheBishop said:

Hows that? Ngl I got confused making the Poll! Lemme know ifs confusing...

That should be fine.
If it's confusing for anyone else they will let you know.
Thank you Bishop.

• TheBishop changed the title to Adjusting Dayz Fistfights!?

See, I'm a simple man..I see Bishop, I beans. As for the fist fighting, I think fist fighting is mainly used for roleplay at this point anyway so I'm not entirely against lowering the damage of heavy attacks with their stamina so the fights last longer and get more exciting! Then you just have to shame light spammers and maybe set up a gym to train people, have a medic on hand etc..

• Sapphire

I think that the problem with fist fighting in its current state is the new changes to shock damage. You take shock damage so quickly so fights are over within seconds and it can kinda drain the fun out of what is meant to be a battle. As for what I would adjust currently, I think everything is fine aside from the damage you take from fighting consecutively. Its fun to be able to get in the ring and fight for long periods of time but after a few fights you're pretty much done for a short while. And as for the stamina, managing stamina is a big part of being good in fist fights so adjusting that takes some of the "skill" out of it...

I feel like the problem as is now is that the new 1.12 shock damage makes fights over so quick if the two people just go at each other. and that's also the only real way to win. If you punch each other 30 times and back up for 2 seconds then you're completely fine as if nothing just happened. I feel like the stamina for heavy punches is fine, if you have a full bar in a fight you can usually land 3 punches on a guy in a row. And seeing as it stun locks the person any more would just be who ever stuns the other person first wins. A change i would like to see is maybe something that makes it so if you get hit a bunch and you back up, you don't just regain all your shock dmg and just become fine. I feel like there should be penalties for if you get hit. Don't know how this would happen or would play out or if it can even be fixed, but I feel like making it so you can do more heavy hits is not the play,

• Diamond
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ImPurge said:

I think that the problem with fist fighting in its current state is the new changes to shock damage. You take shock damage so quickly so fights are over within seconds and it can kinda drain the fun out of what is meant to be a battle. As for what I would adjust currently, I think everything is fine aside from the damage you take from fighting consecutively. Its fun to be able to get in the ring and fight for long periods of time but after a few fights you're pretty much done for a short while. And as for the stamina, managing stamina is a big part of being good in fist fights so adjusting that takes some of the "skill" out of it...

I completely agree with the shock Damage issue, however my suggestion wouldn't remove the purpose of managing ones stamina, it would simply allow for one more Heavy attack, letting the stamina well to be used more effectively. If a fighter decides to simply only use heavy attacks then they will be beaten once they get tired and run out of juice! I dont want to change that aspect, because then anyone could win any fight by just spamming the Heavy attack. 

Edited the Suggestion to better convey my meaning, Thanks! 

Edited by TheBishop
  • Game Master

Light attacks are next to useless unless coupled with heavy attacks, giving a 4th heavy attack when it only takes 4-5 hits to the head to knock you unconscious would just mean that fights are heavy spam and whoever misses the first swing loses.

Unfortunately, just by the logic of DayZ fistfights, if you play defensively it is very hard to knock you unconscious so you have to beat somebody to flashing red or they have to be very inexperienced or unlucky to get a fast knockout on them. If there were a way to break somebody's guard, fistfights would be a lot more fun.

• Sapphire
41 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Light attacks are next to useless unless coupled with heavy attacks, giving a 4th heavy attack when it only takes 4-5 hits to the head to knock you unconscious would just mean that fights are heavy spam and whoever misses the first swing loses.

Unfortunately, just by the logic of DayZ fistfights, if you play defensively it is very hard to knock you unconscious so you have to beat somebody to flashing red or they have to be very inexperienced or unlucky to get a fast knockout on them. If there were a way to break somebody's guard, fistfights would be a lot more fun.

+1 to this

• Diamond

I think a change to the fist fighting would be cool, make it more fun and interesting. Back in the Cerna Liska days, we had a rule where you weren't allowed to stun lock people and continuously heavey attack. It made the fights more realistic and fun.

• Game Master
25 minutes ago, Craig said:

I think a change to the fist fighting would be cool, make it more fun and interesting. Back in the Cerna Liska days, we had a rule where you weren't allowed to stun lock people and continuously heavey attack. It made the fights more realistic and fun.

There's no need for that rule now as you have much fewer heavy attacks, also back then you couldn't block heavies without being guard broken and smacked into next month.

• Diamond
16 minutes ago, Elmo said:

There's no need for that rule now as you have much fewer heavy attacks, also back then you couldn't block heavies without being guard broken and smacked into next month.

From my understanding the amount of heavy attacks hasnt changed. its always been three possible heavy attacks, thats how you could tell someone was cheating. Im only proposing making the attacks cost less so that instead of only three you could do four. Making more combos possible! 

• Game Master
1 minute ago, TheBishop said:

From my understanding the amount of heavy attacks hasnt changed. its always been three possible heavy attacks, thats how you could tell someone was cheating. Im only proposing making the attacks cost less so that instead of only three you could do four. Making more combos possible! 

Pretty sure you could squeeze in like 5/6 in 2019. Now you can squeeze in 4 if you time the attacks and staggers right.

• Diamond
6 hours ago, Elmo said:

Yeah, I'm not saying it should be a rule on the server, it was just to give an idea to those who end up fighting that they could do something similar.

• Game Master
6 hours ago, Craig said:

Yeah, I'm not saying it should be a rule on the server, it was just to give an idea to those who end up fighting that they could do something similar.

Didn't think you were, its just not necessary now cause stun locking into a KO is virtually impossible now. Fistfighting bad