Server time (UTC): 2021-08-01 04:41

PLIKT -- O-Squad Patrol -
TODAY | 2021-08-01 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 14 hours, 18 minutes | Nyheim City

Is First Person Lock A Good Thing?

First Person  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ill make it quick, I feel like the overall roleplay and immersion would be a lot better if first person was locked.

People wouldn't be able to third person peak in combat, they'd have a realistic perspective for the entirety of the time. Third person is unfair to the players who want to play this way and be immersed since they are, at times, forced to third person to have an equal chance in combat/scouting (looking over walls, through windows, etc).

Just a personal note but I understand the reasoning behind it for combat orientated servers to give people advantages but for a roleplay server I just thought first person lock would've been the default of the servers perspective.

• MVP

No. It has been brought up and shot down many, many times before over the years.

• Emerald

The voting options seem a bit biased imo...

I'm neither for or against it, but i'd prefer if it stayed the way it is.

• Emerald
1 minute ago, SUMatt said:

Well I mean, are you saying that first person lock wouldn't make it more immersive? I dont think its biased, just honest.

I'm saying that's up to personal interpretation of what "Immersive" is.

So yes, the voting options seem biased instead of it being a simple "Yes" or "No"

• Diamond

If you mean first person lock when drawing a weapon, I agree.
I think it could work with this server and serve a good purpose. I've seen the first person lock upon drawing a weapon on other roleplay servers and believe it could be beneficial to this server. 

I however think that since this server has never had such a thing, that the change in removing 3rd person from PVP experiences will probably not go over well with the majority.

9 minutes ago, Phoenyxx said:

If you mean first person lock when drawing a weapon, I agree.
I think it could work with this server and serve a good purpose. I've seen the first person lock upon drawing a weapon on other roleplay servers and believe it could be beneficial to this server. 

I however think that since this server has never had such a thing, that the change in removing 3rd person from PVP experiences will probably not go over well with the majority.

That would be a good idea actually, maybe when a bullet is fired around you/at you it locks you to first person. or when you have a gun out it locks you for a period of time as well

• Diamond

Stop suggesting this, its not gonna happen. 

• Emerald

Everyone is jumping down this guys throat for merely asking if we like first person... yikes

Personally i play a mixture of both, alternating when i feel like it. I enjoy being able to switch through both.

• Emerald

I agree with @Banksyyi also just alternate depending on the scenario

i think leaving it as is gives people that choice on how they want to play, rather than forcing them into a certain perspective 

also, like @Drbeans, first person can sometimes fuck with my vertigo. Isn’t a major issue but just something that I’m glad I can avoid 

I really dislike this idea for many reasons:

Motion Sickness / Similiar Conditions:
While I get your point, forced First Person would actually get me motion sick to the point where I couldn`t play the game anymore. And I`d honestly be pretty mad about not being able to play on my favourite roleplay server anymore, just because the PvP got "enhanced" by forcing the majority of the community, who is not even actively participating in firefights, to be locked in First Person.

Character Customization / Animations:
I enjoy seeing my character in the scene while I play. Customizing my outfit to portrait my character`s personality/occupation is a major part in this for me and if locked in First Person, I`d never really get to see it, unless I enter my inventory. Also, many animations the character does look whacky at best in First Person. I find the Third Person animations often way more appealing and realistic, creating a more immersive atmosphere.

Screenshots:
Third person is great for taking screenshots and the only option for solo players to take a picture of their character in an environment. As mentioned above, I am highly against limiting the enire community`s creativity and tools just for the sake of PvP.

PvP:
If you look at the firefight montages of different groups, many people actually use First Person in combat. I think the assumption that a First Person lock would definitely improve PvP is a bit wild. People have different preferences and should always have the liberty of choice to personally decide on how they want to play the game. There is plenty of First Person PvP servers, there is only one DayZRP server.

In conclusion:
We are on a roleplay server, meaning the first questions on any implementation should always be:

"Will the RP on the server benefit from this? Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?"

And in this case, it`s just a big no from me. I don`t see how implementing this would be healthy.

• Sapphire
Posted (edited)

I enjoy both and want to be able to switch whenever, not to be forced to have one playstyle. Huge -1 from me

Also man I suggest playing before suggesting something that would change alot image.png.8de73179219af3d6e4b873c5c0fb91b2.png

Edited by SynO
33 minutes ago, SynO said:

I enjoy both and want to be able to switch whenever, not to be forced to have one playstyle. Huge -1 from me

Also man I suggest playing before suggesting something that would change alot image.png.8de73179219af3d6e4b873c5c0fb91b2.png

i was playing yesterday

• Game Master
15 hours ago, SUMatt said:

Ill make it quick, I feel like the overall roleplay and immersion would be a lot better if first person was locked.

People wouldn't be able to third person peak in combat, they'd have a realistic perspective for the entirety of the time. Third person is unfair to the players who want to play this way and be immersed since they are, at times, forced to third person to have an equal chance in combat/scouting (looking over walls, through windows, etc).

Just a personal note but I understand the reasoning behind it for combat orientated servers to give people advantages but for a roleplay server I just thought first person lock would've been the default of the servers perspective.

Search function first.

This is an old dead horse. I don't want first person lock cause I don't like how it looks.

• Diamond

Nerds!! You can’t handle the HardCore First Person RP!! 

It’s a tough decision. On one hand I want to get rid of the third person peaking that happens during fights.

On the other hand I love looking at my character! Perhaps a mixture where taking out your gun forces FPP? Like that’s ever gonna happen! 

Just a thought, It’s easy to switch between em so nothing needs to change…

• Diamond

Just no there are other servers out there that are RP centric and force FPP I never much cared for them call me a PVP ape all you want I think 3PP is best for roleplay server and FPP for PVP servers I think you inadvertently run people off if you take away the choices from players forced FPP is not great because at the end of the day if you want to play only in First person no one is stopping you. 

• MVP

First Person works well on roleplay communities. 

• Diamond

Sadly for me first person makes me feel a little 🤢 or headachey sometimes so it'd have to be a no from me ^^

• MVP
19 minutes ago, SUMatt said:

Im not gonna lie i never knew people get get sick from first person perspective, it made me chuckle with how many people suffer from that issues here in that regards

Because it's mostly an excuse, I believe some people here may genuinely get motion sick from first person perspective, but I don't believe in the amount of people who claim to suffer from it.

A good amount of you are veteran gamers who have played video games for years from all sorts of genres, so it makes little sense that this many people suffer from motion sickness despite having played First Person games in the past, especially when you factor in the ability to turn off involuntary camera movements like Headbobbing and focus related settings like Depth of Field and motion blur.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

A good amount of you are veteran gamers who have played video games for years from all sorts of genres, so it makes little sense that this many people suffer from motion sickness despite having played First Person games in the past, especially when you factor in the ability to turn off involuntary camera movements like Headbobbing and focus related settings like Depth of Field and motion blur.

Exactly, i dont know how these people are even playing video games if first person mode makes them feel sick 😄

• MVP

To add onto this, for those who have only or mostly played 3PP, it takes time getting adjustet to a new environment, I remember my first few sessions in VR using my Valve Index, it gave me vertigo and made me very sick, but after taking a couple of sessions to adjust to it, it barely affects me anymore.