Server time (UTC): 2021-07-31 06:06

Lore Event - "The Scientists"
TODAY | 2021-07-31 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 12 hours, 53 minutes | Nyheim City

Ruined Clothing

Stradic

Wear ruined clothes  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Diamond

Hey everyone, with the setting of the new lore I thought it would be nice if we had the ability to wear ruined clothing. Thoughts?

Please note I am only talking about clothes not vests/backpacks. 

Devs, is this even doable? 

• MVP

I too would love this feature, would make for some proper wastelander looks.

• Diamond

Let's make it happen

• Sapphire

The dream is that almost everyone looks like they've just crawled out of a racoon's ass, so yes. yes pls

• Diamond

Sure, so long as we can repair ruined clothes. 

• Lore Master

If its possible, it would be really nice to see added in. Would give off a more survivalist appearance, compared to pristine clothing.

• Administrator

Wear them? Yes. Repair them? No. If something is ruined it is generally beyond repair. If I had a shirt that was ruined, while theoretically I could still wear the shirt, it would be next to impossible to repair it. 

• Lore Master

Give me my ruined clothes!!!!!

• Game Master

+1 

This would be really interesting to see. Being able to wear ruined clothing can add a lot to the wasteland feeling. Though it should not be repairable. Like others have said in this thread, if something is ruined, it is beyond being repairable.

+1

You should be able to wear ruined clothing. You might not reap the benefits like insulation or protection, and it will be damaged beyond all repair, but wearing it doesn't seem like it should be an impossible feat.

There would be next to 0 good condition clothing in 2071 if you are going to allow clothes to spawn in good condition allow us to also equip and unequip ruined clothes. Shouldn't be hard to wanna fit the lore and setting.

• Emerald

Nice and simple ideas like this will help get people used to the idea of the 50 year time jump. +1

A brilliant idea, and as such should be included! The only issue I can see is that insulation levels are tied directly to item condition, but I'm sure people will take form over function everytime...

• MVP
Posted (edited)

This is a great suggestion! Maybe there's a mod that would put apocalyptic clothing in the loot table 🤔. Also I miss the improvised scrap armor because with this map I think it would fit right in!

Maybe we can get in some scrap armor like they have on 7dtd or other games. It would look cool af and give you those apocalyptic vibes for sure!

ScrapChestArmor.png.57d9697f95ca7cbe6339af3a82dd06cd.png

Edited by EddieLR
  • MVP
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rickets said:

There would be next to 0 good condition clothing in 2071 if you are going to allow clothes to spawn in good condition allow us to also equip and unequip ruined clothes. Shouldn't be hard to wanna fit the lore and setting.

I wouldn't necessarily say that, basic skills such as sewing and traditional clothes making could be passed down. I'd say there'd be 0 pristine condition clothing but to say there'd be no good condition clothing is a bit of a stretch especially if you're living within the city walls.

I'm all for the idea of allowing people to wear ruined clothing, especially with the group ideas popping up.

Edited by OwOgleSimp
2 minutes ago, OwOgleSimp said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that, basic skills such as sewing and traditional clothes making could be passed down. I'd say there'd be 0 pristine condition clothing but to say there'd be no good condition clothing is a bit of a stretch especially if you're living within the city walls.

I'm all for the idea of allowing people to wear ruined clothing, especially with the group ideas popping up.

I guess that's more of a matter of opinion what I mean by good condition seems to be different to yours. My understanding of good condition is more around clothes in well, good condition... I wouldn't class patchy jeans or pants or resewn jackets as good condition personally but at the core I think we are along the same lines. Only issue is in DayZ Worn+ = good condition because models etc which makes sense but at this point I'm just waffling so...

• Game Master

100% I am down to implement this, if it’s doable from the devs side of things. Everyone walking around in pristine clothing would break immersion, and not fit well with the setting.

• Diamond
12 minutes ago, Cal said:

100% I am down to implement this, if it’s doable from the devs side of things. Everyone walking around in pristine clothing would break immersion, and not fit well with the setting.

I'm failing to see the aspect where people who work on actively preserving things to their fullest through repair and maintenance, in a world where new clothes are not possible to acquire, would be 'immersion breaking.' Anyone can learn to sew, whenever taught or self-learned. But sure, if people really wanna lean too heavily into the theme and go straight into HoboRP, be my guest. Decent idea, just hope people don't freeze to death as a result due to lost insulation.

• MVP

I'd rather see some new textures for clothing in general that make them look more worn and patched up or dirty. I just don't really like how the damaged states in dayz look so adding some clothes with patches, holes, etc would be something I'd rather like to see. I know its work so if no ones got time I might just use my week off to look into textures and stuff myself. 

37 minutes ago, vivallion said:

I'm failing to see the aspect where people who work on actively preserving things to their fullest through repair and maintenance, in a world where new clothes are not possible to acquire, would be 'immersion breaking.' Anyone can learn to sew, whenever taught or self-learned. But sure, if people really wanna lean too heavily into the theme and go straight into HoboRP, be my guest. Decent idea, just hope people don't freeze to death as a result due to lost insulation.

I think you're focusing WAY too much on technicalities. If you wish to repair a piece of clothing after a few years its going to be covered in patches. Not going to look brand new. That is his point. No one in this thread has ever said anything about people not being able to repair and maintain clothes. All people are concerned about is the appearance of these clothes since they will all look brand new. 

• MVP
7 minutes ago, Franny said:

I'd rather see some new textures for clothing in general that make them look more worn and patched up or dirty. I just don't really like how the damaged states in dayz look so adding some clothes with patches, holes, etc would be something I'd rather like to see. I know its work so if no ones got time I might just use my week off to look into textures and stuff myself. 

This is probably the better option, the damaged states of clothes in DayZ look down right atrocious honestly because Damaged = Ruined and Worn = Pristine. There’s nothing in between for the clothing textures damage state. Plus I’d prefer to see more clothing diversity within the server. So if legitimately older looking clothing textures are possible I’m all for it. 

While I will agree that yes, given the year the lore will now take place in clothing would look nothing like it did 50 years ago, this is still a game and we’re limited by what DayZ gives to us

• MVP
10 hours ago, Stradic said:

Yes. Maybe? I dunno. Let me see

• MVP
10 hours ago, Stradic said:

7 minutes ago, Whitename said:

Yes. Maybe? I dunno. Let me see

Yes