Server time (UTC): 2021-07-31 06:22

Lore Event - "The Scientists"
TODAY | 2021-07-31 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 12 hours, 37 minutes | Nyheim City

Introduce a "recovery period" after a PVP death.

Add a recovery period or a rule that forces people to roleplay out injuries for a set period of time after death.  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

THE PUNISHMENT FOR DYING IN PVP IS TOO LOW.

When two opposing parties fight each other, the only thing they lose is their gear and perhaps two hours of their lives to regain whatever food/ammo/other perishable or desirable stuff that was lost. (Especially since most people have vast amounts of money to spend at traders) After which they are free to roam the world again, moving their lead-filled body as if they didn't just eat an AK mag two hours ago.

They are never incentivized to roleplay being injured or being in any way impacted by the shootout that just ensued. Now I am not here to suggest a draconian rule that forces the hand of roleplay. That is, in my experience, the worst thing that can be done to a community. Roleplay should flow freely, and be molded, manipulated and contorted into whatever the mind of the roleplayer desires, and we should always respect that.

Thus, I offer a solution.

Upon dying in a firefight, a player should gradually recover from the "Ruined" state to "Healthy" over the span of 12-24 hours. (This is of course subject to change).In my mind, this will incentivize roleplay, while not forcing the hand of the roleplayer. You can ignore your limping body and your characters groaning and puffing, but the people around you will take notice. A doctor may offer help, a drug dealer may offer pain medication. Your comrades may offer to carry you.

The benefits this system might bring may also include strategy that spans over days. Instead of zerg-rushing your enemies camp. You may instead send a strike force, that attacks from a distance, sniping and taking out as many as possible. You may not have had the manpower to take on that camp, but turn half of them into limping, groaning messes? You may just turn the tide completely. Lastly, this will place more at risk for people who choose to PVP. You will not only lose your gear, you will also make you and your comrades vulnerable for the next day. You may think twice about raiding that camp when there's more on the line.

Note that the risk of dying on DayZRP is almost always a choice, thus only people who are willing to risk going through this process will accept that risk and engage PVP, dying from natural causes should not at least in my mind, have the same effect.

My suggestion in clear terms: If killed by another player, the killed party will undergo a recovery period of 12-24 hours in which they will gradually heal from "Ruined" to "Healthy" (IG health and blood will top back up as normal during respawns).

All of this is of course subject to debate and change!

Thanks for reading! 😃

Edited by VodkaWolf
Small addendums and clarifications
  • Diamond
Posted (edited)

Okay me personally I would not see this as a bad thing, but the majority of the players that do pvp on this server have some sort of comprehension of roleplay and a lot of players I feel already do this, maybe not to the extent of 24 hours but most people understand how awkward it is for some to get fragged then go back to the hub like nothing ever happened and hour ago. Maybe some people do it but I feel it’s not a large issue.  But forcing someone to slow walk from their spawn kinda toxic 

Edited by SHIESTY Dongle
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SHIESTY Dongle said:

Okay me personally I would not see this as a bad thing, but the majority of the players that do pvp on this server have some sort of comprehension of roleplay and a lot of players I feel already do this, maybe not to the extent of 24 hours but most people understand how awkward it is for some to get fragged then go back to the hub like nothing ever happened and hour ago. Maybe some people do it but I feel it’s not a large issue.  

I'm on the same page, kinda!

I see a lot of good roleplayers that do roleplay out their injuries accordingly, but I feel this would not only add a new layer of strategy to RP, but to PVP too! So in a certain way, it benefits everyone! 🙂

Oh and yeah, perhaps the ruined state is a bit over the top, maybe "damaged" or "worn" would be better?

Edited by VodkaWolf
  • Developer

Since this is a PvP server after all, I don't think this is a welcome change to the majority of the community, which you probably know already.

I would however love a forced damaged state or even having your character be more vulnerable after death. That is to say you don't just have your in game health, but some sort of global health that gets depleted each time you die and is reflected in your in game health resulting in limping and vulnerability. This global health would then regenerate at a slower pace than your in game health, thus offering some 12-24 hours of being more vulnerable. There would obviously have to be some limit of how low your global health can render your in game health so that it doesn't instantly kill you after you have died several times in a row within a very short time, and with this limit it would mean that you are just vulnerable for a longer time, which would be proportional to the amount of your deaths. Idk if that made sense at all but it seemed like a good idea in my head. I think it would make people think twice about getting killed, but I also know that even the idea of this will make most gamers blood boil.

8 minutes ago, VodkaWolf said:

THE PUNISHMENT FOR DYING IN PVP IS TOO LOW.

When two opposing parties fight each other, the only thing they lose is their gear and perhaps two hours of their lives to regain whatever food/ammo/other perishable or desirable stuff that was lost. (Especially since most people have vast amounts of money to spend at traders) After which they are free to roam the world again, moving their lead-filled body as if they didn't just eat an AK mag two hours ago.

The punishment for dying in PvP is exactly what you said. Getting your gear back isn't as easy as you think as believe it or not, most groups don't have a ready supply of items at hand.

10 minutes ago, VodkaWolf said:

They are never incentivized to roleplay being injured or being in any way impacted by the shootout that just ensued. Now I am not here to suggest a draconian rule that forces the hand of roleplay. That is, in my experience, the worst thing that can be done to a community. Roleplay should flow freely, and be molded, manipulated and contorted into whatever the mind of the roleplayer desires, and we should always respect that.

It is up to the individual player if they want to RP out any injuries. Some do, most don't. If they were captured and injured that way it is different but as you say, you need to respect the players option no matter what, even if you disagree with it.

13 minutes ago, VodkaWolf said:

Thus, I offer a solution.

Upon dying in a firefight, a player should gradually recover from the "Ruined" state to "Healthy" over the span of 12-24 hours. (This is of course subject to change).In my mind, this will incentivize roleplay, while not forcing the hand of the roleplayer. You can ignore your limping body and your characters groaning and puffing, but the people around you will take notice. A doctor may offer help, a drug dealer may offer pain medication. Your comrades may offer to carry you.

This would be a good solution - but unfortunately the different injury "states" come with different speeds at which you can move, making survival as a freshspawn more dangerous than what it is worth. Also, why should groups that take part in PvP be solely affected by this? IMHO any death should have this, after all, it's only fair. This will add more flavour for sure, but it will end up becoming just an annoyance more than anything else.

20 minutes ago, VodkaWolf said:

The benefits this system might bring may also include strategy that spans over days. Instead of zerg-rushing your enemies camp. You may instead send a strike force, that attacks from a distance, sniping and taking out as many as possible. You may not have had the manpower to take on that camp, but turn half of them into limping, groaning messes? You may just turn the tide completely. Lastly, this will place more at risk for people who choose to PVP. You will not only lose your gear, you will also make you and your comrades vulnerable for the next day. You may think twice about raiding that camp when there's more on the line.

Note that the risk of dying on DayZRP is almost always a choice, thus only people who are willing to risk going through this process will accept that risk and engage PVP, dying from natural causes should not at least in my mind, have the same effect.

My suggestion in clear terms: If killed by another player, the killed party will undergo a recovery period of 12-24 hours in which they will gradually heal from "Ruined" to "Healthy" (IG health and blood will top back up as normal during respawns).

Thanks for reading! 😃

Yeah, I can see what you are getting at, but in all honesty you are forgetting some pretty core rules in the last part of your suggestion.

"Zerg Rushing" is simply using numbers to your advantage. Why should this be punished? Ally up so the numbers are even. Also, sending a strike force to snipe at a distance? Unless you are in an approved group that won't work as the rules tend to punish that kind of stuff. Also, turning half of them into "Limping, groaning messes" to then dunk on them again? No thank you - I may be old school here, but I prefer my gunfights to not be decided by some arbitrary "Roleplay Rule" that does nothing but punish large rosters.

The idea has some merit, but at the end of the day people should not get pissy at anyone who likes to gunfight. It is a core part of the server. Making some "after fact" punishment system is a good way to turn players away. And I say this from a player who doesn't want to gunfight 24/7 but would be hyper annoyed at this system in place. Also, what about people who die often from infected/wolves/bears? After all, making this effect only people who die from other players when the previous 3 probably make up the vast majority of deaths is a bit meh.  

• Emerald
1 minute ago, Kerkkoh said:

I would however love a forced damaged state or even having your character be more vulnerable after death.

If at all possible, i would definently +1 this.

But seeing as how DayZ is, well DayZ i would think this could take a long time (?)

• Game Master

Always a tricky one automation is - we saw how badly received the automated NLR breach tracker was and that had significant human intervention. When it gets it right, so much time is saved but when we get it wrong, it can really ruin someone's play time on the server.

Also, if this were a change that would occur, would it be 12-24 played hours or 12-24 real life hours, as the former is very oppressive and may require multiple days to shake off a death, whereas the secondary is easily avoided by not playing for a day.

5 minutes ago, Taffinator said:

snip

I'm not gonna nitpick as you are entitled to your own opinion and my suggestion is in no way perfect.

The idea has some merit, but at the end of the day people should not get pissy at anyone who likes to gunfight. It is a core part of the server. Making some "after fact" punishment system is a good way to turn players away. And I say this from a player who doesn't want to gunfight 24/7 but would be hyper annoyed at this system in place. Also, what about people who die often from infected/wolves/bears? After all, making this effect only people who die from other players when the previous 3 probably make up the vast majority of deaths is a bit meh.  

The reason why I specified PVP is because PVP is personal, dying from a bear is not. If I see the guy I just domed with an SVD walk around the current hub as if nothing happened a few hours after I domed him, I will be mad.

But if a player gets eaten by a bear and no one is around to see it, has it really happened?

3 minutes ago, Elmo Cringe said:

Also, if this were a change that would occur, would it be 12-24 played hours or 12-24 real life hours, as the former is very oppressive and may require multiple days to shake off a death, whereas the secondary is easily avoided by not playing for a day.

I should clarify IRL hours, so you can opt to just skip your injured state by not playing. But then you won't be around to defend your base, or help your comrades.

• MVP

Weirdly enough after taking a break from PVPing 24/7 and seeing a similar rule like this on a RedM server I am actually down for a rule that says you need to RP out your injuries after dying IG. However I do not want this to be anything automatic or enforced on the actual character model. A simple rule that says:

"After dying you are required to roleplay out your injuries accordingly to the situation that led to your death. Disregarding this rule and rejoining fights as if your character is fully healed may result in a BadRP ban."

This should allow staff to judge every situation accordingly without making the rule too strict and unenjoyable.

• MVP

This is a cool idea but as others have stated alot of us rp out injuries, not to the extent that you've stated above but enough to make roleplay interesting. I don't think a 12-24 hr period is needed because it should be up to the person roleplaying out the injury how long they want to play in that injured state imo.

I do like this suggestion though because it will make the player second guess how they will go about a situation and the consequences of their actions. It would make it more realistic seeing someone roleplaying out being injured knowing that they have to heal up before monkeying around again.

season 8 episode 23 GIF

I do like this idea. Adds more layors to PVP than just the "planning" and actual fighting. I have seen a lot of people RP out injuries sustained after they die in PVP in order to spend that 60 mins of NLR doing some quality RP and providing entertainment so those who are doctors and/or campfire RPers who don't involve themselves in PVP shenanigans.

However it is really down to choice. Some people just want to continue the PVP and looting cycle each time they die as it is what is fun for them but a trial of this or something similiar to this if it is possible to be done would be interesting. After all, this is a RP server and anything that provides more fun RP should be looked at. 

You can't make everyone happy so somebody would be upset with this change if it hinders their ideal play style.

ME personally: +1

• Administrator

I don't know how feasible it is to script something like this. 

But honestly I think this is a bad idea. How do you define what is a PVP situation? Being killed by another player, surely? Well, sometimes people die to their friends and or accidents because they are being silly. Why should they be penalized for such? Accidents happen, and if the death to their friends was a result of messing around they're already possibly liable for a punishment. If you want to enable a script for this it would have to be for all player-on-player kills, I'm not a scripter but it would be next to impossible to create an exemption for everyone on the server.

Secondly it's just plain annoying. The limping animations are already a huge hindrance whenever you are geared, let alone as a freshspawn. Whereas it would take an hour to properly loot up without limping, with it it would take double or triple that time. People won't find that fun. This game is already a running simulator. Why should we make that worse by making it an occasional limping simulator?

As others have stated, I'm fine with a rule that requires you to roleplay out such injuries.

If people wish to roleplay out injuries after a fight, that is their right. But we can't force people to partake through an automated limping script.

Also, @VodkaWolf, you need to add a poll to this thread as per the Suggestion guidelines;

• Game Master
20 minutes ago, VodkaWolf said:

I should clarify IRL hours, so you can opt to just skip your injured state by not playing. But then you won't be around to defend your base, or help your comrades.

I could just swap to an alt if I'm in an approved group and rejoin the fight, no issue really.

• Diamond

+1

If this can be implemented, I'd get behind this. Medical groups might LOVE THIS! 

• Game Master
Posted (edited)

I like the idea, aside from a few aspects.
I don't think there should be a timer, like @EddieLR said, let people RP their own injuries for as long as they want to, and realistically as well.
Could also have some factors that play in as well, when you "wake up" from PVP.
Headwounds = Concussions or Headaches, Body wounds or Leg Wounds = Limping + possible internal damage.
Would make for some good medical RP.

The only thing I would make this a must for, is if its a direct hostile situation - but still lets the player have a fun experience. Surely, actions have consequences, but we can't expect everyone who dies on the server, to RP being injured.
It would be ridiculous to have people walking around limping, or injured if they were accidentally killed by a friend.

All in all, I am supporting this, after a few minor tweaks are made.
+1

Edited by Cal
  • Diamond
Posted (edited)

With the current playstyle that heavily leans into PVP? I don't particularily feel that this is the 'solution' we need. If anything, this might actually kill the playercount by creating a wider divide between roleplayers and those looking to do PVP. -1

P.S: Where's the poll?

Edited by vivallion
  • Game Master
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, vivallion said:

With the current playstyle that heavily leans into PVP? I don't particularily feel that this is the 'solution' we need. If anything, this might actually kill the playercount by creating a wider divide between roleplayers and those looking to do PVP. -1

Let's be real, if players are here strictly for PVP, they are in the wrong community.
Role Play should be the primary focus, and RPing out your injuries from a choice you made to PVP, should be implemented.

Edited by Cal
  • Diamond
Just now, Cal said:

Let's be real, if players are here for PVP, they are in the wrong community.
Role Play should be the primary focus, and RPing out your injuries from a choice you made to PVP, should be implemented.

While i agree that one should RP out their injuries, you shouldn't be FORCED to do it just because somebody else suggested it. That's just going to turn people off having to constantly cycle into the notion every time a big bad group shows up to bully them.

• Diamond

I'll be honest and say that I never RP out injuries unless the model is actually injured, I could get gunned down and then after respawn I just run around fine. However I would be down for something like this being introduced, I doubt there is a mod that can be made to do this but if you respawned injured and it lasted a while that could be awesome, and I also think that if this was introduced then the rule where you can't remember the events leading to your death should be scrapped also because technically you're not dead. Even though people RP out their injuries they're still running around a few hours later or the next day, a lot of the injuries people get (Mainly Firefights) would take months to recover from and basically being bed ridden in an ICU.

However there are some cons to this, gearing up as a solo player is difficult on this server, before I joined Transporters and I was playing solo, gearing up was time consuming, annoying and not fun. I died 3 to 4 times before I ended up finding enough food or reaching a hot spot where food was handed out. Add on the injuries it would be extremely difficult to gear up and survive as a solo player and I would probably just not play after dieing giving the difficulties and the time it takes to heal and then gear up at the same time to survive. Being in a group is easier, you die and your group members pick you up and you instantly have everything you need.

If their was a mod that could track and force you to go through the damaged states from Ruined back to Normal that would be cool and a +1 even though it would be difficult. However I don't think there should be a rule where if you don't RP injuries out you should get hit with BadRP that was suggested by my friend, fellow community member, Lore Master and fellow Transporter AndreyQ. As I said above, realistically it would take you months to recover from a lot of the injuries people get and most wouldn't recover like the RPG incident at the Old Cordis Camp. So if we introduced a BadRP rule for this, how far would you take it and who defines BadRP in this context, if you get shot with an AKM and then the guy double taps you, you would be dead, however each player has the right to PK or not and most don't and RP out injured, whats the perfect amount of time to RP ot injured to not get hit with BadRP, and who has the time to enforce it and how will they enforce it? Is 1 day long enough? 1 week? IMO anything less than 3 months would be BadRP, but ain't noone gonna RP that out so yeah.

TL;DR Leave it as is or make a mod/script.

• Diamond
2 minutes ago, Craig said:

-Snip-

While mod would be a good idea, my question is how it would aeffect the playerbase. What is the point where you could have a chance of "survival" instead of being instantly mike-tysoned by a zombie just because you happened to spawn with low health/blood?
Making the entry back into roleplay shouldn't be set into a challenge. Some people are already having trouble getting back on their feet after each death as is.

Posted (edited)

I don't want to be forced to do medical RP I don't enjoy it and I don't see why I should be forced to do these things.

"Oh but you can be forced to be a hostage"
"Oh you can be forced into a hostile situation" 

The two above statements are completely valid however, I enjoy HOSTILE roleplay and the encounters that come with them so this is what I do. I also know I can act in a manner to reduce the amount of damage taken in these encounters. If I NVFL then I get PKed. I don't want, like or plan on medical RPing because its just sitting writing emotes for 40 minutes which I don't PERSONALLY enjoy. Leave it as is and allow people to CHOSE to roleplay these things out. I've seen plenty people doing it and more recently @Dr Brandon and @Jackfish have done it. Why waste time writing up a script when we have much greater issues to address such as crashes or lack of content?

Now in no way shape or form am I bashing people who wish to do this, ultimately this is a ROLEPLAY server and people are more than welcome to RP as they wish WITHIN the rules which is also one of the many reasons why this place is good. 

Just don't forget, this is a game after all.

Edited by Rickets

To me, this seems very unnecessary. As a lot of people rp out their injuries. Leave it up to them...

• Emerald
Posted (edited)

I like the idea however respawning into a forest injured is gonna be far to difficult for people and are bound to keep dying (could lose a lot of players this way)... if this was to be implemented I would recommend a change in where players spawn and have a hospital ( No PVP zone ) so people could respawn in peace get medical attention from a medical group which would stay in this location and provide people great recovery RP.

Edited by Nudey
  • Diamond
20 minutes ago, vivallion said:

Making the entry back into roleplay shouldn't be set into a challenge. Some people are already having trouble getting back on their feet after each death as is.

I did mention that as a con, and suggested leaving it as is.