Server time (UTC): 2021-08-01 05:10

PLIKT -- O-Squad Patrol -
TODAY | 2021-08-01 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 13 hours, 49 minutes | Nyheim City

Permadeaths... Lets talk about it!

Hi Everyone, you can call me Chai 👋 Let me start by saying I am incredibly new to DayZRP and I have had a lot of fun on the server thus far. For about half the people i have met has provided outstanding RP. Huge shoutout to them!! Also, considering how fresh I am here, I apologize if this topic has been brought up prior. Given the amount of time the server has been standing i am sure it has at least once or twice nonetheless. I want to suggest and discuss permadeaths. Opinions on the topic, why it isn't a rule here in context or whatever thought you have! From what I understand per rules and discussing amongst a few others in clarifications, If you die you don't necessarily HAVE to to perma your character unless you die too many times. You can come back so on quote injured saying you were attacked by a bear, or even in hostile situations you can come back....alive. Now i get it... in some circumstances. However id like to share my opinion on this as its something I feel strongly about in RP.

I'm a huge fan of RP, and have enough experience in several servers to say that i feel NOT permadeathing ones character in SPECIFIC situations is a terrible idea for several reasons! Personally, i have no issue with say your character dies in a PVE situation (ie... bear, fall off cliff, wolves, gas whatever) and you come back roleplaying it out in relation to your "death". However, permadeathing your character in specific hostile situations id like to encourage everyone to consider it. Say you go to war, or are being executed, your character is making that conscious decision to risk their own life, as well as friends and others. Whether it be the simple fact that war=deaths, or all the choices your character made to lead to an execution are all going to kill your character. Especially when there are witnesses, several people see your character laying on the ground dead as a doorknob and low and behold, "Joe" shows back up alive the following day...makes no sense realistically. Lets be honest.

Now say there is someone robbing you, just you and another person, or you are the one robbing that other person... keep in mind that YOU again are making the conscious decision to risk your life, and the defender, valuing their life might fight back, thus resulting in a fight that might lead to death of one or both the characters! Everyone's life is at risk here. This will ultimately create the best RP experience in hopes all intentions from players have the desire of creating goodRP, whether that be bad choices or good. Perhaps in situations where witnesses aren't present or robberies or other things besides "big" (war,executions) situations give them life amounts (example: 3 deaths than you have to perma). 

Some of the best RP I've ever had is is on Permadeath servers. It creates a much better RP experience all around. People naturally are more inclined and able to have value for life. Their own and othersas well. People get emotionally invested which allows the RP to be an truly intense experience! Not to mention, you get a big bandit group going around robbing people and killing them your going to have people who hate you and everything in considered and thought out more thoroughly as opposed to this servers current ways of RP. Not to say the RP isn't good, but you know. Say "Jane" hasn't showed back up, you know her patterns, she would have contacted you.. somethings wrong right. You start investigating and find the man, his death is much more satisfying knowing he is dead dead. Your not going to run into him down the line alive. Not to mention, it weeds out the constant PVP RP. In that i mean where everyone is killing one another in RP, but it is done loosely without too much regards knowing technically, "joe" is just gonna wake up on shore. So much amazing RP is missed in these situations because even though we are suppose to have value for life, and it is practiced  even when permadeathing doesn't have to happen, don't get me wrong... I can promise you that value for life isn't reaching its full potential.. the RP isn't experienced in its entirety. There's nothing like the intense adrenaline you feel getting ready to secure a man you've been searching for to execute him, one that everyone that hates knowing it could all go south in an instant. Or crying IRL because your comrade  , one you have been RPing with for months died by your side in war. 

In my short time in this server, i have ran into two people where it was evident value of life was not considered and i quickly saw the all too common lack of value of life where PVP RP was experienced over Good RP. And i know why, it is something i see in every non permadeath server, because me, fresh as a daisy spawn just woke up and they know im probably not going to perma my character, so I'm looting for food and they want the loot and they shoot warning shots what id would hope would be in my direction but instead so close to my damn head my ears wouldve of been scuffed and ringing realistically. You could've killed me if i had moved just one inch to the left as you shot your gun. C'mon guys. Not everyone i had met thus far is like that in respect for good RP, i appreciate you guys! I came here after two weeks of searching for the best RP server and i really like this server! I do! i respect everything about it and all it potential aside from the whole permadeath thing, i deeply it should be reconsidered. I really can assure you the RP would change, but for the better!

I want to RP PVE and PVP at its fullest potential, but I'm not a fan of the PVP RP where good RP is loosely practiced amongst Rpers (not all of them, but enough) because they can just come back to life. Im not a fan of this, i cant be the only one. I want to understand where everyone else comes from. Your opinions on Permadeath, i want to understand why this server isnt a permadeath server knowing its long standing status or any thoughts on you have on Permadeath and if we can consider bringing it to this server.

Posted (edited)

You want to permadeath your character, go ahead

maybe some will follow

. Our community has the option to PK their character when or whenever they want to. 

character resets are also used when breaking NVFL.

there’s also this little thing called a PK application, used in circumstances where I killed all of Joes family and he captured me numerous times and then he killed me off with admin approval through this PK application. 

ive seen a lot of PK’s the last month. 

people not Pking in firefights doesn’t hinder my RP experience. 

Edited by tz
  • Game Master

-Moved to Community Discussions-

• Titanium
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, tz said:

people not Pking in firefights doesn’t hinder my RP experience. 

I agree with all his points here. 

PKing your character is entirely up to you. You wanna PK yours after a gunfight? You are 100% allowed to do it and, most of the time, people involved in said firefight will find it very nice! Here's an example. 

Just a few weeks ago, someone I know PKed his character he was playing for a very long time after he got "sniped" by an enemy group because, in the hour before, he initiated on and killed one member of said enemy group. He could have very well just RP as injured but he chose to PK which brought a lot of interesting RP because of the history between his group and the enemy group. This is why this server says that it's up to the player when he PKs his character 99% of the time.

As for TZ's point about Not PKing in a firefight doesn't hinder his RP experience, this is what everyone thinks of. No one will hold it against anyone if they don't PK in a fight. And it's not a rule that should be implemented because, in real life, people can get shot and survive if provided with first aid quickly enough. 

This discussion has been brought up many times both in the forums and in Voice Chats. The answer always stays the same. Only the player can decided when to PK unless he NVFLs or in very very specific scenarios that almost never happens and it's up to the Admins to decided at that point.

Your point about other servers doing it is not valid here I'm afraid. If it works for them, good for them! If you want this rule, go play in their server (not trying to sound like a dick. Sorry.) This server will most likely never see this change and I'm sure most of the players are okay with this. It's like going to Burger King and being like "Yeah but your burger sauce isn't really great, look at McDonald and their Big Mac sauce! It's way better why aren't you doing that too?" You see what I mean? It's good to make the suggestion, but on this point, its not gonna be implemented. 

Edited by AlwaysGamer
  • Lore Master

Here We Go Again GIF

I would love to see more PK's in this community, unfortunately alot of people in this community get way too attached to their character and never PK, even if it makes sense. 

I see the argument "My character, my decision" alot and it makes me sad. Alot of those people think they are the main character in DayZRP.com and don't really care about other storylines then their own. I understand it's hard to let go of your beloved character, but stories just get boring if someone never dies.

Let me just give some examples when you should PK in my opinion:

- You are at war with another group --> get captured twice = PK

- You talk massive shit on the radio about a group --> get captured and told to stop but you continue? = PK

- You PKed someone from another group and gets captured by that group. = PK

- NVFL = PK

My group has PKed alot this month and i'm happy we did. We accept the consequences of our actions ingame which makes stories alot more interesting then playing a god.

I 1000000% agree with her here. I mean it literally ruins RP if there's nooo way someone is walking away from something and then you see them the next day like WHAT? I know its your choice to PK but it can essentially ruin someone elses RP. I have a lot of experience with RP so I'm not just coming out of nowhere with this opinion,ive seen both sides and trust me it CAN work and makes value of life increased tenfold.

• Game Master

I'm yet to hear of anybody using this new PK rule that we had instated, which was designed to alleviate the issues you have - paired with some rules about hostages actually having to fess up to their bullshit, I could see this being a very interesting change in the meta of DayZRP.

• Diamond

I agree, quite annoying when you execute someone many times and they just dont die 🙂 

33 minutes ago, AlwaysGamer said:

I agree with all his points here. 

PKing your character is entirely up to you. You wanna PK yours after a gunfight? You are 100% allowed to do it and, most of the time, people involved in said firefight will find it very nice! Here's an example. 

Just a few weeks ago, someone I know PKed his character he was playing for a very long time after he got "sniped" by an enemy group because, in the hour before, he initiated on and killed one member of said enemy group. He could have very well just RP as injured but he chose to PK which brought a lot of interesting RP because of the history between his group and the enemy group. This is why this server says that it's up to the player when he PKs his character 99% of the time.

As for TZ's point about Not PKing in a firefight doesn't hinder his RP experience, this is what everyone thinks of. No one will hold it against anyone if they don't PK in a fight. And it's not a rule that should be implemented because, in real life, people can get shot and survive if provided with first aid quickly enough. 

This discussion has been brought up many times both in the forums and in Voice Chats. The answer always stays the same. Only the player can decided when to PK unless he NVFLs or in very very specific scenarios that almost never happens and it's up to the Admins to decided at that point.

Your point about other servers doing it is not valid here I'm afraid. If it works for them, good for them! If you want this rule, go play in their server (not trying to sound like a dick. Sorry.) This server will most likely never see this change and I'm sure most of the players are okay with this. It's like going to Burger King and being like "Yeah but your burger sauce isn't really great, look at McDonald and their Big Mac sauce! It's way better why aren't you doing that too?" You see what I mean? It's good to make the suggestion, but on this point, its not gonna be implemented. 

Firstly, In no way am i trying to say ones sauce is better than another's. I tried to make sure that wasn't the impression i might give off  by simply stating that the experience of RP was much more fulfilling in the entire experiences ive had RPing over the years on other servers where PK was a thing in specific situations. Unfortunately i cant return to the two servers i loved so much. Moreover, after weeks of searching this is the best one ive found thus far! So id like to stay here.

Im trying to understand it better, the option of PKing ones character by choice because it simply does not make sense to me. I personally find it a bit unfair if say i kill someone perhaps in an execution and all those efforts for them to come back around in the future.

And as far as "And it's not a rule that should be implemented because, in real life, people can get shot and survive if provided with first aid quickly enough". That's a great point!! i never though about it that way. say someone's dead and a doctor shows up reviving the person. But what if there's no doctor or no one around that revives you in the game? In real life yes you can get shot and survive, you can also get shot and die. Just like in the game, in the game someone can shoots you and you can bandage and treat your wounds accordingly, but what if you die, no one gets to you in time but several people saw your character dead, but no one got to you in a timely matter, considering all things realistic. You should technically be dead dead

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, yeinzy said:

I allways pk my character, even if hes starving to death or whatever the reason is he dies for.

The true hero we all need ✊😖

one of these days I will learn to pk

"Why isn't permadeath a rule here?"

1) Because some players put significant lore & writing effort into their characters and...

2) Players don't enjoy having their detailed characters getting "DayZ'd" and dying to bugs... I know this doesn't happen as often, but this rule has existed since earlier states of the game where one could simply falling to death walkint down stairs.

On 6/4/2021 at 1:46 PM, ChaiTea said:

makes no sense realistically. Lets be honest.

I understand your sentiment, and the point you're trying to make, as I just explained, many people don't enjoy losing their characters so readily. Conversely, some people might argue that a permadeath rule makes characters less meaningful and valuable as opposed to more meaningful and valuable. Sure, death has a serious permanent consequence, but sometimes players die to circumstances beyond the norms of the game. Why would anyone put extensive effort into making a character meaningful/valuable if they were ultimately just as dispensable as the player model they use IC? Not to mention it can be a head ache to create character after character after character...and so forth.

Personally, I don't feel the need to grant my character canonical immortality. I permadeath my characters every time. Like I can appreciate the incredible in-depth lore that people put into their characters - don't get me wrong - but should extensive character design effort really justify canonical immortality? No. Not even the most interesting character with the greatest background of all time should be immune to death. I guess what I am getting around to saying here is that I am indifferent toward permadeath rules, but I understand the sentiment against permadeath, despite actually being an advocate for permadeath.

Edited by Stellaboy
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Diamond

I have yet to PK a character but I'm hoping on Nyheim I can eventually PK a character.