Server time (UTC): 2021-07-31 05:37

Lore Event - "The Scientists"
TODAY | 2021-07-31 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 13 hours, 22 minutes | Nyheim City

Number of characters per player limit.

Craig

Character Limit  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Diamond

Sup fellow community members and roleplaying nerds.

So I have an idea that I think is a good one, even though there is some cons I have come across by counter arguing my own idea. I would like to hear/read some of my fellow community members thoughts. The idea is simple, you are only allowed to play one character at a time, if you want to make a new character you have to end your current characters story. I think this will definitely add something more to character creation and also hopefully remove some main character syndrome that goes around at times, and people making alts for some stupid actions and to not face consequences. The only people who can create more than one character are the LM's and volunteers that help them for the obvious reason, I think this idea definitely adds more than it takes away. There is a few more pro's that this idea brings however I'm more interested in hearing/reading other peoples thoughts on this as it doesn't really matter about the pro to con ratio, but if its a well supported idea.

It would be cool if you could post at least 1 pro and 1 con you think this idea has and explain why you don't support or do support this idea.

Posted (edited)

For avoiding consequences to their actions people could just as well suicide as well as leaving the country. Neither would give the wanted RP to the pursuers. As stupid as it sounds, for some characters leaving the country after certain things they did to only come back when its safe makes sense for their life even when its not fair in RP to do so. The group can hardly pursue you outside. 

People often have different characters for different groups they play in. They switch up in how much they are able to play, so they choose a more independent character for that time and switch to another, when they can be around a lot.

Limiting the number doesn't seem fair. Even normal players might decide to use multiple characters to try help further stories for others, just like the LM's and there are already plenty of differences to the normal players, since the admin tools came out. It would just further that difference and alienate more unless you got a title.

The only pro to having one character I feel like is, you never get confused what this character knows. Switching between multiple can end up confusing as to which character has learned what in IC. (unless you are good at note taking)

Edited by GreenySmiley
  • Sapphire
Posted (edited)

I doubt anyone will want this. Nonetheless people always avoid IG consequences by OOC means, one character per person won't really make a difference in that sense.

Besides, some people are still moaning from the latest rules change up, they will probably burst into tears if this is brought in to effect.

Plus @Challengerand his 52 characters won't be happy.

Edited by Ryan Shepherd

I see where you are coming from but -1 cause like, I feel like people would get hella bored cause they can't try something new after a while and be stuck with the choice of just not playing or pk'ing their favorite character. If they picked the first option it would result in a decreased player count. This would not be a good thing if people believe the server is in a bad spot right now population wise. I would be open to have my mind changed on this though.

• Developer

-1 You say this will alleviate main character syndrom... They'll stick to the character like friggin glue.

I say it's the exact opposite. If I have to stick to the same character all the time, I'm going to lose my mind and I'd rather not have to straight up delete a character just because I want to take a break from them for awhile. Hard -1

I think limiting people to one character is going to create a much bigger emotional attachment to that character, and that's gonna fuel OOC issues for some people.

• Emerald

I think rather than limiting characters a player can have, adding a time limit before a person can switch to another character? Say a person has to wait 48 hours before switching to a different character? (Exceptions can be made for events and etc.)

• Support
Posted (edited)

This only gonna bring more main char syndrom since they gonna be with only one character, and it's gonna force people to stick with only one wich is not right for my POV, the community increase alot cuz people got tired of a character, they archive it and play with another one, and then when they feel the hype again they unnarchive that story.
And also sometimes they just want to roleplay with another idea and then come back to their main character

EDIT:

Just now, CornInMyPoop said:

I think rather than limiting characters a player can have, adding a time limit before a person can switch to another character? Say a person has to wait 48 hours before switching to a different character? (Exceptions can be made for events and etc.)

This idea of making an exaust to change characters is more better IMO, for this idea is a huuuuuge +1

Edited by Snow_
  • Legend

Nah, arbitrary rule that affects far more people negatively than those it would prevent abusing the system.

• Diamond

I’d rather not have any restrictions on characters.  If I’m restricted to one character... Nah, I would lose my interest in roleplaying.  It’s happened to me before.  I have to have the option open so I can take a break from each character and each storyline.  And I’d rather not kill a character prematurely just so I can play a different character archetype.  I’ll immediately regret it.  Because I’ve gone through a few different types of characters this lore that I’ve only played maybe once and the play style wasn’t for me.  So if I’d had to kill Eliot just to find out I don’t like the new character?  Seems a waste.  -1

I don't this is a great idea because some people make a second character so they could do some things their other character wouldn't do or when u get bored of a character and want to bring him back later on then its nice not to have to kill that character. A great example is if you have a really friendly character that wouldn't hurt anybody and always helps people then u might get bored of that after a while so u make a second character that gives u the chance of doing bad stuff instead of being forced to make your good character bad or to kill/delete him and make a new one.

The only way I see this to be added is having maybe a max of 2 or 3 and not just 1. Or we could bring back the timer between IG character changes so it forces you to play one character for a while until u can hope on the other again.

I see why this poll was made but there is a solution. If you have proof and reason to believe that someone is jumping between characters to avoid trouble you can throw up a report for avoiding rp and possible failrp.

Personally I dont like the idea of limiting people to one character. If you get an idea and want to do it, it sucks if you have to kill your character for that reason. 

• Emerald

Yes, maybe people would value their characters a bit more rather than having a new one every 4 weeks when generic bandit/gang group 4 comes along but archives shortly after and rinse and repeat.

as well as that people have been switching characters and ditching their old ones which they've put alot of time into because of certain people to avoid consequences that they are responsible for lol

+1 for me.. if implemented correctly it could be pretty cool

• VIP

No, this is a bad idea.
I'm playing three different chars right now that are vastly different from each other.
I don't wanna PK my current char just because I'm not allowed to make another one when I'm bored at the first one for playing him for 500+h.
Thank you for suggesting this, but you will receive a -1 from me.

• Emerald
Posted (edited)

I like @Craig's idea but with modification.  I think having as many characters as you want makes sense, however switching between them has a cool down.  The more you switch the longer the cooldown becomes (hrs into Days), the longer you go without switching the shorter the cool down gets gradually. Not requiring a termination of a character.

Similar to respecs in classic wow. The more you respec the higher the price was until it hit cap, the longer you go without respeccing the price would gradually diminish.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

+0.5 

Edited by Woody
  • Support
2 minutes ago, Woody said:

-snip-

Actually if this idea can be applied is a huge +1 for me, seens pretty fair and doesnt limit no one, only bring more to the community, thanks for thinking about it i loved it