Server time (UTC): 2021-08-03 12:18

Dynamic Events: "The Mutated.."
TODAY | 2021-08-03 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 6 hours, 41 minutes | Nyheim City

Do you judge a character based on what they wear in character?

Pepsi

• Sapphire

Hey Everyone,

"Never judge a book by it's cover", right? But that also begs the question, how do you approach when you see another unknown player/character based on what they wear?

Would you feel more comfortable when you see a civilian dressed person? Or a fully decked out soldier looking person? Now this thread does not question anyone's ability to loot or wearing what they feel like, everyone can dress up how they want.

The question is how do YOU see the one before you dressed, what is your first thought?

Back in the Old Lore, when 5.0.3 were at large, I had a distinct reaction to black and white t-shirts and caps, knowing very well those could be some bad men, while @AndreyQ's bandit hunters looked like your good ol' "Hero" character look and gave me a sense of calm.  What's on your mind about this? Figured a new topic could get to see what others feel.

• Diamond

No backpack gang I simply know a fight is around the corner, sneakers and backwards caps same thing lol In character I try not to let it effect my RP but subconsciously certain things tell me when bad men are about

• Emerald

Ah yes! I was waiting for a thread like this!

You find someone wearing the following:

• Poncho
  • Skull Mask | Gas Mask
  • Turtle Backpack
  • Smersh Vest + Buttpack for Max Slots
  • Optionally wearing faction clothing without knowing what they wear
  • no fashion-sense what so ever

If you check all these requirements you are the easiest prey around SZ, the common Whitename. You are also about to get robbed.✌️

For some Unfathomable reason whenever I see anyone dressed ALL in black, it's usually followed by them carrying a Battalion's worth of guns/ammo with them. But hey, it's their perogative I suppose. 

I usually don't mind anyone wearing whatever in game. Obviously I roll my eyes at people shivering while trying to wear fashion stuff (but again, their choice.) However, I do cringe at people wearing faction clothing while knowing nothing of their significance, almost as if they don't know the lore... 

Oh! One last thing - the 100 slot medic bags. Yeah, doctor RP'ers with them, no problem. But 99.9% of others just carry them for the fat loot while trying to stay 'civilian'. Also ponchos. Nothing screams 'pizza cutter' more than ponchos - with bonus points for a mask to go with. 

I must stop now, as I feel I have ranted enough. 

• MVP

I like to pick my outfits to express my deeply emotional feelings to other people I bump into IG.

XukzECw.png

This nicely picked up fit explains my sincere desire to raid when people snore and do hood rat shit with my fellow wagwag gangbanger @Elmo.

Also I love bumping into people wearing the big ALICE backpacks with either full camo clothing or full black clothing. When I see someone wearing that I know there is a lot of fun roleplay to be had, even though I am not sure why they all confuse me with a technician and ask if their microphone is working.

• Game Master

If I see a backwards baseball cap or converse, I instantly dislike you.

• VIP

I would go as far to say that anyone that says, "I don't judge anyone based on their clothing or weaponry." is a liar.
I have tried all kinds of different clothing on this server, from entirely military to civ, covered/not covered face, and various guns.
With results from people coming to me and talking to people actively avoiding me and people even holding me up, believing I'm a bad guy.
So yes, clothing/weapons do matter.
If I'm out running solo, I will avoid a person carrying his gun in his/her hands depending on weapon and clothing, someone that looks like a gangster is often a gangster. Still, if I see someone in hunter's clothing sporting a bolt action rifle or semi-auto rifle, I would most lightly walk up to him/her and even feel comfy if him/her put away his rifle as I approach.
Most of the time, when I get held up by one or two people, they do get surprised if I engage them, and I have killed people that way because they simply do not expect it, and that's also why some times I even engaged up to 3 people if conditions are right.
So, in the end, clothing and weapons do matter.

• Emerald

Yes.

Simply put, alot of people wear similar clothing when they are in groups.

Backwards Cap with a T-Shirt and Platey? Most likely a Hostile RPer.

Anything Chernarussian Camo? Most likely a Nationalist

Anything Russian Camo? Most likely either FSB, a Whitename or Hardcore RPer.

Anything else? Anything in between.

• Sapphire

I'd have to agree with alot of people here. So, yes, yes i do. You can instantly see who is the "CampfireRP" type and then the "HostileRP" type. Based on the clothing you know exactly if you need to stay away from them or walk up to them and talk

• VIP
2 minutes ago, Niller said:

Yes.

Simply put, alot of people wear similar clothing when they are in groups.

Backwards Cap with a T-Shirt and Platey? Most likely a Hostile RPer.

Anything Chernarussian Camo? Most likely a Nationalist

Anything Russian Camo? Most likely either FSB, a Whitename or Hardcore RPer.

Anything else? Anything in between.

I do wanna say that wearing BDU seems to have a calming effect on most people even though my char is clearly a soldier or, in his case, a merc.

• Emerald
1 minute ago, Aron73 said:

I do wanna say that wearing BDU seems to have a calming effect on most people even though my char is clearly a soldier or, in his case, a merc.

Not really, you're just too wholesome and sweet to rob both ICly and OOCly.

When i see people wearing BDU i normally think "Probably Irish or something" since it's the look that both [REDACTED] and @Ryan Shepherdused back in Livonia.

• Emerald

backwards cap, half shamagh, maybe some aviators, short sleeve shirt or hoodie or whatnot.. massive cliche.

Clothing can have an impact, but equipment more so. If someone is carrying only a single semi automatic rifle slot weapon, I tend to relax a little. Even carrying just a single automatic, like I do, tends to not make me too nervous. After all, you can't be picky about weapons in SZ. Two back slot ranged weapons tends to put me on edge just a little, particularly if one is an automatic. Similarly, if someone is bristling in high end kit I always think they had to rob a lot of people to get it, and might I be next. 

If they are in all military camo (not hunter gear) I tend to assume they are part of some group or have a military connection, plus have higher than average aggression. High end kit but no, or very small, back pack means something is going down soon. All black is another warning sign as is anything too obviously garish. Backward baseball caps or "urban boonies" rather than country colours or camouflage boonies, are also a warning sign. Particularly when paired with anything that looks like a tracksuit. 

• VIP
7 minutes ago, Niller said:

Not really, you're just too wholesome and sweet to rob both ICly and OOCly.

When i see people wearing BDU i normally think "Probably Irish or something" since it's the look that both [REDACTED] and @Ryan Shepherdused back in Livonia.

I tend to agree with you, but even in the beginning when no one did know who Chameleon was and even when I changed clothing to be less recognizable they still came up to me, at least if I did not hold a gun

It depends on individual approach/vision player has about post-apocalypse. For me seeing players wear unpractical, fancy clothing like t-shirt, shorts, backwards baseball cap etc in combination with high tier weapons and plate carrier, is like big sign saying that they are most likely these people that balance on the edge of TrollRP and HostileRP what makes me try to spend less time around them.

tbh thats a good topic and coming from someone like me , i can tell you 90% of my encouters were people freaking out cuz of what im wearing (full military) yet end up with me giving them free food and sometimes ammo , from my experince atleast i can tell ya if a person has a plate carrier he or she is ready for a fight doesnt mean he or she is gonna rob you... hopefully atleast , a person wearing any other vest than that are mostly wearing it for the slots since the best of them can only tank like 2 shots at most  , no vests tho tbh dont think i found any hostile non vest people at all , clothing wise i dont tend to think about them alot cuz to me hunter gear can be as dangrous as military cuz believe me hunter gear can be as effective as gillies sometimes depending on the place youre in.

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

Catch me with no vest no backpack rollin' into Bere huntin' down bitches.

Nah but for real, I adore people who take the time to put effort into how they look. There are certain characters on the server who have their own iconic styles, military and civilian alike, that you can spot from a mile away and then there are the dudes running around with plate carriers and military mountain bags wearing different camos that don't look good with each other. 

I usually find myself less invested in roleplay with people dressed like clowns.

Edited by Novi
  • Emerald

I used to wear a poncho until I got abused for it... Now I abuse people for wearing the poncho... and now I'm pretty sure the people I abused now abuse others for wearing the poncho's too. Gotta love the cycle.

I also once ran into the power ranger of poncho's amazing seeing them dart back into the woods like the deer they hunt.

• Emerald

If you wear a balaclava you a straight up killer.

Trademarked btw

• MVP

Yes. If you have a massive backpack and/or multiple pouches then I'm immediately going to assume that you are a loot-goblin and rob you.

• Lore Master

Mhmm. My heart drops in a panic anytime I run into anyone with their face fully covered, or otherwise decked out in "pvp" gear. And on the flip side, anyone dressed casually, I'm much more inclined to relax around. Its a bias for sure, and I try not to let it influence my RP, but its certainly present.

• Sapphire

I mean, seeing as one of my own group members thought I was an enemy when I was walking through Zeleno, I would say yes, your outfit does influence RP

• Sapphire

I don't discriminate at any look.

But if i see a poncho it seems that i always get the same weird awkward silence RP.

i really don't like ponchos.

please anything but ponchos.

• Emerald

Yes. Anything with a big backpack, military uniform, gas masks , two weapons and ponchos can easily label a whitename which is a good target to bully and criticize their very realistic outfit for their american spetsnaz outfit.

If I end up seeing some person with no backpack, a plate/6b5 and a helmet that is enough to say they are PVP orientated and the most expected outcome will end up being hostilities

And obviously, if you find some person in good fashion wearing clothes that are considered normal clothes for a human being to wear all day long maybe with a vest on top and some big gun on their backs that they usually won't use its easy to tell its the very fasionable roleplayer.

• Diamond

Yes because it's a human behavior. But I don't act on them.