Server time (UTC): 2021-08-06 03:34

Dynamic Events - Contracts / Mutants
TODAY | 2021-08-06 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 15 hours, 25 minutes | Nyheim City

Animal Migration

Animal Migration  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey all,

My thought was that with the gas now spreading across the North many of the animals that either lived there or would hunt those regions are no longer able. Because of that it seems plausible to me that they would begin to move further South until eventually they hit the coast lines. This both makes sense but it could also create a really fun dynamic for the coastal RP communities who otherwise would rarely see that much wildlife. I imagine a pack of wolves chasing a survivor down the streets of Cherno before he can take shelter in an abandoned apartment building or store front. If possible I think a single wolf and/or bear spawn in the region of the larger cities would do the trick, anything more than that could cause server issues with the already struggling to proper render cities. Plus it's more for the lore anyways. Pretty soon stories will spread about how, while fishing along the coast, a bear suddenly appears out of nowhere and you're forced to swim for your life or try to defend your cooler full of Mackerels. Anyway, that's my ted talk, take it easy. 

Edited by Ender Cain
  • Administrator

Hello @Ender Cain,

In order for community members to vote on your suggestion, you need to add a poll to this. A simple 'yes' or 'no' poll will do just fine.

I'm going to say yes, but only for non aggressive animals. It will be a massive inconvenience for you to spawn in, and instantly get initiated on by wolves. (This is a problem with some spawns further west to begin with.)

Add in the general lack of items in coastal villages, it could prove to be a massive pain in the arse. However, more animals for hunting would be beneficial, as even low tier weapons would have an use to just kill these animals, ready to set you up for further traveling. 

• Emerald

Most definitely, +1 
With players making the move South, you'd expect animals to do the same. 

• Sapphire

Honestly I didnt even think about this but now that I am it makes total sense that the animals would migrate due to the gas invading their original places.

+1 from me cheif

I honestly really like the idea, but my only concern would be whether or not freshspawns or lesser-geared people would fall victim to these animals if they are moved.

It is my only concern really, but otherwise I am very much for the idea as it would make it a bit more interesting and see help people the effects of the story unfolding in the world.

A shaky and hesitant +1

• Diamond

Well IC´ly it makes sense. Never had problems to find most of the animals like everywhere. For the wolves and bears well that would make sense as well. Not sure if it's not going to be too harsh for freshspawn.  Many stuff does not make sense based on logic but makes balance for the game. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PaulB said:

Well IC´ly it makes sense. Never had problems to find most of the animals like everywhere. For the wolves and bears well that would make sense as well. Not sure if it's not going to be too harsh for freshspawn.  Many stuff does not make sense based on logic but makes balance for the game. 

Hey Paulb,      

So I'm using your comment as a catchall response to the general concern about fresh spawns getting torn to shreds by hungry predators. I myself don't believe in being a fresh spawn, but I've heard from others that the current system will drop you in anywhere from Zelenogorsk to Zolotar, all well within the spawn radius of wolves. From inexperienced players to Dayz super soldiers, we all have to deal with the threats of living in the wild and untamed wilderness of Chernarus the same.
      All jokes aside, I understand the fear and frustration of spawning in and being immediately aggro'd by wildlife but for most of us the threat just really isn't there. When was the last time you actually had a bear or wolf encounter that didn't end with you handedly beating them into submission? Seems a good portion of us are able to, on the rare occasions when we have to deal with wildlife, panic mag dump some .308 or go the more subtle route of simply leveling the entire forest with our PKP's. Honestly, I'm not proposing changing that, but I do think it would help add a level of much needed immersion to living along the coast this season. 
      We sacrifice "realism" for a better gaming experience all the time and if the community decides that this is one of this instances I'm more than happy to agree. This isn't about food spawns on the coast being too high or too low either, it's simply adding a small element to the game that would blend with the lore of the season. As a member of Lost Highway I would absolutely love to have people coming to our events and sharing stories of their encounters with wildlife within the cities. God forbid a bear try to crash a boxing tournament, driven mad by starvation and exposure to the toxic gases. We'd probably just trap it in the ring with the Bald Bandit, Chernogorsk's most famous pugilist, and take bets on who would win. I usually root for the underdog but honestly I doubt the bear has got what it takes. 

This message was sponsored by Folgers Coffee and Cinnamon Toast Crunch 

Edited by Ender Cain
  • Emerald

I like this idea from an RP perspective it works very well the predators avoiding the gas and coming down more south and east to hunt