Server time (UTC): 2021-08-01 04:27

PLIKT -- O-Squad Patrol -
TODAY | 2021-08-01 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 14 hours, 32 minutes | Nyheim City

Request to turn off God mode on Vehicles

Woody

• Emerald

Is it at all possible to put vehicles back to the way they were?

Currently Vehicles receive non critical damage and are next to impossible to destroy.  Radiators are god mode and there is Zero risk taking a car out at the moment.

No new vehicles are spawning in the world, since people aren't losing them to crashes / breakdowns. 

I echo this. I've had numerous crashes yesterday and over the past couple of days, some of which were straight into trees at a solid 110km/h which, under normal circumstances, would've killed me.

Yet not only did they not, I also notice that I and many other people crash so many more times because we drive so carelessly and cocky now, because crashes don't mean anything anymore other than a simple loss in time.

Edited by VolraSlava
Imagine being able to spell things properly
  • Diamond

Nah I like the way it is. It's more fun and its a safety feature in my eyes with how unstable the server can be at times.

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

Nah I like the way it is. It's more fun and its a safety feature in my eyes with how unstable the server can be at times.

In what way is it a safety feature when I can ram into a tree at 110km/h and still have a Pristine Spark Plug, Battery and Radiator, even after repeatedly doing so too?

Cars have godmode at the moment. If parts do take damage during crashes, then the damage is so miniscule that you might only notice that your parts get to worn after several of those Crashes, and I've yet to see it.

• MVP

I think it is only BMWs that do that. Plus this is something that can happen:

giphy.gif

So I'd take the godmode cars any day over that.

• Game Master

Is it possible to reduce the protection vehicles have from bullets, as opposed to physics?

No idea how that particular damage calculation works.

4 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

-snip-

Here is the thing. You're part of the Transporters.

The area that you desynced at (The red diamond) was approaching your base (The red rectangle). And it is common knowledge for just about every DayZ player that approaching an area with lots of user-created structures will lead to desync.
Many people know the exact spots that cause Desync, such as the ones around the Belic Pub or El Familia's Warehouse in Solnichniy, and will usually always take precautions or risk desyncing into their death.

So why is it that didn't slow your car down further before getting close. You know that your base will cause desync yet you did not take any precautions as you were going a solid 70km/h with a little bit of slowdown just a few frames before your desync kicked in.

eDRZxx2.png.8a81f764566afb595ec5598300386e7f.png

• Diamond
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, VolraSlava said:

In what way is it a safety feature when I can ram into a tree at 110km/h and still have a Pristine Spark Plug, Battery and Radiator, even after repeatedly doing so too?

Cars have godmode at the moment. If parts do take damage during crashes, then the damage is so miniscule that you might only notice that your parts get to worn after several of those Crashes, and I've yet to see it.

Did you even read my post?

30 minutes ago, Craig said:

If you're deliberately ramming into a tree then I ain't gonna question it, you do you or if you're deliberately driving recklessly cause you know you cant die then thats a you problem. When I am out and about on the roads I drive how you would be expected to. However driving down the road at a high speed knowing that if the game/server lags out I won't be dieing, now thats a safety feature with an extra explanation, not everyone here wants ultra realism. So if you can't look past the fact that a vehicle can survive a crash then I don't know what to tell you. The fact that some people have all these issues with cars and guns and then don't have an issue with some idiot wearing a floatie is beyond me.

Edited by Craig
  • Emerald

Pretty sure BMWs are the only cars with buffed protection. Even then, it makes sense as they're the only well made car on the server, manufacturer wise that is. Every other car still breaks the same way, BMWs just take a bit more effort. Not sure why you'd want to make cars even less usable than before 

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

If you're deliberately ramming into a tree then I ain't gonna question it, you do you or if you're deliberately driving recklessly cause you know you cant die then thats a you problem.

I don't deliberately ram my car into a tree because I value the life of my character. But I will not deny that since Cars have been more forgiving, I have driven a lot more recklessly and more cocky knowing that nothing can actually happen to me.
And that is my point here:

- I don't need to carry any spare parts in my Car anymore because I know that a Crash will not damage my Parts anymore, or not sufficiently enough to warrant carrying them.

- I drive more recklessly now because I know that my Character is no longer at risk of dying or sustaining any forms of Injury unless I RP them out to people after a Crash.

The only thing that a Crash causes at this current moment is a simple Loss of Time and is seen as little more than an inconvenience by not just me, but the people that I play with, they are looked over and crashing your Car isn't feared anymore. Likewise, I know people who used to look for Cars but no longer find any at their Spawn Points because Nobody's Car breaks anymore, they do not require maintenance now.

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

not everyone here wants ultra realism. So if you can't look past the fact that a vehicle can survive a crash then I don't know what to tell you.

I never said that I want Ultra Realism. But I simply want a Car to be something that people have to work for and maintain, and then make sure that they do not break it.

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

The fact that some people have all these issues with cars and guns and then don't have an issue with some idiot wearing a floatie is beyond

I have my own issues with people using Floaties and Kiddie Pools for Borderline BadRP purposes, but this is not part of this discussion and I do not know why it is brought up.

• Game Master

I'd prefer if the amount of cars were lowered in the server tbh, that'd justify keeping them strong. There's too much of all the good things in the game and any idiot can get them with enough time 😩

• MVP
24 minutes ago, VolraSlava said:

Here is the thing. You're part of the Transporters.

The area that you desynced at (The red diamond) was approaching your base (The red rectangle). And it is common knowledge for just about every DayZ player that approaching an area with lots of user-created structures will lead to desync.
Many people know the exact spots that cause Desync, such as the ones around the Belic Pub or El Familia's Warehouse in Solnichniy, and will usually always take precautions or risk desyncing into their death.

So why is it that didn't slow your car down further before getting close. You know that your base will cause desync yet you did not take any precautions as you were going a solid 70km/h with a little bit of slowdown just a few frames before your desync kicked in.

eDRZxx2.png.8a81f764566afb595ec5598300386e7f.png

Yes I am aware that the lag was caused by the bases in Novaya, which is why I slowed down from 200km/h to only 60, but my point still stands that the game is quite a buggy mess. I have seen plenty of videos of people just driving on the road and crashing into the thin air in front of them. Don't think having the BMWs be really resistant is that big of an issue.

• Diamond
1 minute ago, VolraSlava said:

I have my own issues with people using Floaties and Kiddie Pools for Borderline BadRP purposes, but this is not part of this discussion and I do not know why it is brought up.

It's brought up because cars surviving a crash isn't an issue and floaties are an issue.

3 minutes ago, VolraSlava said:

I don't deliberately ram my car into a tree because I value the life of my character.

Good.

4 minutes ago, VolraSlava said:

But I will not deny that since Cars have been more forgiving, I have driven a lot more recklessly and more cocky knowing that nothing can actually happen to me.

Drive less recklessly and less cocky.

5 minutes ago, VolraSlava said:

The only thing that a Crash causes at this current moment is a simple Loss of Time and is seen as little more than an inconvenience by not just me, but the people that I play with, they are looked over and crashing your Car isn't feared anymore. Likewise, I know people who used to look for Cars but no longer find any at their Spawn Points because Nobody's Car breaks anymore, they do not require maintenance now.

And this is a good thing. Dayz is a shit unstable game that I would have stopped playing years ago if it wasn't for the friends I made here in this community, and I know that to be true for some others as well. And even though DayZ is a shit game and the vehicles are also very shit, vehicles are also very fun. They're a fun shit feature to this shitty game on our very unstable server at times, and the fact that you don't have to worry about vehicle damage, whether it comes from desync driving into or near a base, desync in general anywhere, the server kicking you out, bad design from the DayZ devs or the server just acting goofy in general, is great thing IMO. Its like a little added on feature of fun for this shitty game and now you want it gone cause you don't like it, why not just overlook it? Because you can't find any vehicles and have lost some fear of crashing? Seems like a lame excuse, no offense.

• Sapphire

Where is the poll so i can give this a -1 ?

No , id rather not see the cars return into the clunky, broken mess they were before.

Oh you hit a small branch at 14 km/h ? well better get ready to find a new radiator, its an absolute joke.

not to speak about the small server stutters that happend on the reg.

Please buff all cars to be like the BMW. Just remove thier loot space, so we can use them what they are intended for, and not as loot hoarder mobile tents.

3 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

Don't think having the BMWs be really resistant is that big of an issue.

My issues isn't with the fact that the BMWs specifically are that resistant.

My issue is that every car is that resistant. I've driven Sarkas, Olgas and Gunters since the recent Patch and all 3 of those vehicles have just about the same resilience to Crash Damage as a BMW has.

I am all fine for having Cars with varying levels of Resilience to Crashing, but as it stands, EVERY car on the Server has god mode, and that needs to be fixed.

and the fact that you don't have to worry about vehicle damage, whether it comes from desync driving into or near a base, desync in general anywhere, the server kicking you out, bad design from the DayZ devs or the server just acting goofy in general, is great thing IMO. Its like a little added on feature of fun for this shitty game

I know that bugs can heavily dampen the experience of DayZ, but I have learned that it is important to take the good with the bad.

Any videogame has bugs, especially Multiplayer games like this, and sure, it is an absolute bitch to die to something that is entirely out of your control, but DayZ in its current state has so many ways to recover from crashing your car or losing your Character to a bug or a Gunfight, because everybody on the Server has a Base with loads of Gear inside of it that they can simply pick up and then go back to doing what they wanted.
And if they don't have a Base, they might have friends who do, or they might have an ATM full of Roubles that they can use to re-gear themselves again.

and now you want it gone cause you don't like it

No. I want it gone because this is an unintended side effect of changes made to the game/mods and is therefore considered a bug in my book.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

why not just overlook it? Because you can't find any vehicles and have lost some fear of crashing? Seems like a lame excuse, no offense.

If I want a vehicle, I know that I do not have to look for one, I know that I can come to the Transporters any day of the week and have you guys sell me a Car, provided that I am on good terms with you guys (Which I am, hopefully). you have already sold me a Red Sarka several days prior on my second Character, Darko.
My issue is that Cars can now be monopolized easily because crashing them no longer leads to the probability of having to abandon the car, or the car completely bricking and being reinserted into the vehicle economy as a freshly spawned vehicle again.

• Emerald

Vehicles are fine, i'd rather what they are right now than have a car slightly nudge a wooden pole and break the car and the radiator. IMO I agree with @Elmo, currently is TOO MANY cars around.

• Diamond
2 minutes ago, VolraSlava said:

I know that bugs can heavily dampen the experience of DayZ

And this one point IMO beats all others regardless.

Sorry if it seems like I am having a go at you, its not my intention. I've been here for 6 years. That's 6 years of complaining and dieing because vehicles and dayz is so shit and now finally we don't have to worry about dieing in them from all the shitty bugs and server issues, it kinda feels like a big win and a huge relief. And like I said before, hell of a lot more fun.

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Sorry if it seems like I am having a go at you, its not my intention. I've been here for 6 years. That's 6 years of complaining and dieing because vehicles

Don't feel the need to apologize. It is clear that you are very passionate about this issue and it shows me that you've had a ton of experience with this type of ordeal.
I don't take any personal offense, at the end of the day, discussions like this are supposed to have differing point of views arguing their points so that the people in the discussion, or on-lookers can make up their own mind.
My opinion of you stays the same regardless.

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

it kinda feels like a big win and a huge relief. And like I said before, hell of a lot more fun.

Even if we disagree I will say, Driving has been less of a stressfull experience since these changes were made and I don't actually dread having an entire Discord Voice Channel grow frustrated after one of us crashes a Car with 4 People in it. A lot of that weight is gone.

Even if I disagree with your points and still want cars to take more damage than what they currently have, I will still agree that the old damage model was unnecessarily harsh for even the tiniest of crashes.

• Diamond

I’d be for them receiving damage on big crashes, but they’re not even doing that atm.  80 down a highway and I desync into a pole on the side of the road and I don’t even get knocked out anymore.  

although I am enjoying being able to go faster again without the threat of lag killing me or the car... it is still annoying that cars are basically not in the loot cycle atm.

and it’s not just the BMWs, I hit a pole in a sarka the other night.  It’s all the cars atm. ❤️  I haven’t driven a BMW since they were re-added since the bar doesn’t have one xP

• Legend

Nah, vehicles are fun and should remain that way. DayZ has enough dumb broken mechanics and make the game a snooze. I like being able to drive vehicles above 100 with less risk of instantly losing my vehicle due to a bit of packet loss or desync. Live and let live i say

Too many times I had passed out driving a car, only to realize after the fact that it had teleported to a remotely relevant obstacle, which obviously usually ends with a wrecked car. In other cases, a dead player as well.
Same goes for random game crashes, you might be rather safe as the driver, but your passengers are usually doomed without the recent implementation.

-1 for me.

• Emerald

I hear everyone's comments but I think some of you are reaching a little bit:

1. Cars are not respawning because #1 they do not die ever they just exchange hands right now.

2. There now is no risk driving a car poorly - regardless of lag spikes or desynch. A Professional driver already knows about these.

3. Not wanting to deal with a cracked radiator because the game is bugging or unforgiving is not really justifiable to keep them as god mode.

4. Lag walls / Common Headache areas are something professional drivers can prepare for w/o issue. They are always in the same location.

Right now cars are way toooo  indestructible.  It needs to be dialed back.

• Administrator

I'd personally keep em the way they are now, DayZ is a good buggy broken game where you can die in 3 seconds of driving. Especially if you start lagging cause your PC ain't that good.

• Sapphire

Nah, I like it how it is.

I have a good PC, but eventually, in my hours of play, I get around 3-6 seconds of Client Freezes, anyone that plays with me can attest to that. I was lucky to escape certain death with cars by slamming the break the second it started freezing, when I heard of this with Olgas and now, I feel slightly safer driving now.

Let's be real, with all the server has on and clients freezing, I say it's a good for a while until situation no longer needs it.

Can also allow more deep dive into engine work RP, come on, now that you don't have the car die, take it as an IC damage and either work it on it yourself or with friends.

• Legend
15 minutes ago, Woody said:

I hear everyone's comments but I think some of you are reaching a little bit:

1. Cars are not respawning because #1 they do not die ever they just exchange hands right now.

2. There now is no risk driving a car poorly - regardless of lag spikes or desynch. A Professional driver already knows about these.

3. Not wanting to deal with a cracked radiator because the game is bugging or unforgiving is not really justifiable to keep them as god mode.

4. Lag walls / Common Headache areas are something professional drivers can prepare for w/o issue. They are always in the same location.

Right now cars are way toooo  indestructible.  It needs to be dialed back.

1. Isn't this a good thing? The fact vehicles are being exchanged drives RP. Our whole group concept is around being mechanics and running a mech shop. That for us drives RP forwards and allows us to actually keep ahold of the vehicles more regularly. People have more of a chance to patch theirs up or, failing that, come to us for RP. This drives far more RP currently than just "hey i found another car".

2. What do you mean no risk? Vehicles smash and players still take hefty damage if they go to fast and crash. The leniency of the game actually helps to provide more fun for players involved with them because they aren't risking a lethal blow, nor the frustration of their car breaking down, if they suddenly impact into something in desync. That leniency is a nice QoL thing.

3. Yes it is to many other people who enjoy the luxury of cars. That is just your opinion vs theirs.

4. They really can't prepare that well. We are fortunate that we know the location is laggy but even at 40-50km/h i was still feeling its effects. This could happen to literally anyone anywhere on the map when it's not a common lag spot, like a new unknown base propping up. 

Tl;dr: people have made solid counter-arguments against all of your listed points.

• Bryan locked this topic