Server time (UTC): 2021-08-03 09:49

Dynamic Events: "The Mutated.."
TODAY | 2021-08-03 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 9 hours, 10 minutes | Nyheim City

Staff Team Duties and Structure

What exactly is the structure of the staff team? For as long as I have been here I'm not actually sure on what the internal order is and how it operates. What are the actual job descriptions of support, gamemaster, and loremaster? Does each staff "team" have their own individual administrator that oversees that stuff? Is there overlap between staff teams? Is there any stuff ONLY certain teams are able to handle (think loremasters for lore.)

I'd  like to know what each "department" of the team does, and if there is some sort of hierarchy or if it's more based on experience (would a longtime loremaster outrank a new support in terms of judgement? What about a gamemaster?)

Thanks!

• Game Master

15 minutes ago, TryaxReck said:

What exactly is the structure of the staff team? For as long as I have been here I'm not actually sure on what the internal order is and how it operates. What are the actual job descriptions of support, gamemaster, and loremaster? Does each staff "team" have their own individual administrator that oversees that stuff? Is there overlap between staff teams? Is there any stuff ONLY certain teams are able to handle (think loremasters for lore.)

I'd  like to know what each "department" of the team does, and if there is some sort of hierarchy or if it's more based on experience (would a longtime loremaster outrank a new support in terms of judgement? What about a gamemaster?)

Thanks!

Its kinda loose.

Short version is you have the "Rules" team:

Support -> Moderator -> Gamemaster -> Administrator-> Roland. Left to right is order of rank, everyone reports to admins, admins report to Roland.

Supports are starting out staff. This is where everyone starts the first time. They handle primarily character pages, help channel and helpdesk, and the questions section of the forum. This is the starter rank to learn the ropes, figure out how the systems work, and get tutored by the higher ups and exposed to things. Supports shouldn't be giving firm stances on rules, only deferring to suggestions.

Moderators are supports that get upgraded. They handle forum infractions, discord infractions, IP Checks, and work alongside Gamemasters for such things. As they can give warning points, they can be considered authorities on things they can issue points for.

Gamemasters are moderators that now can issue in-game bans, receive tools, and handle reports. They are considered authorities on all those things. And whitelists. They can also run in-game events, usually with the blessings or at least tacit understanding of the LM team on what they can do.

Administrators are the highest rank of not-Roland staff, and have judgement over basically everything except financial things, and major game changing issues such as rules changes, map changes, mod changes, etc. All of that stuff goes through Roland. Administrators handle support tickets and whitelists, and are basically the people that /everyone/ reports to. Currently we do a rotating schedule of an admin takes over one of the other ranks (support, moderator, gamemaster) per month.

Loremaster is their own thing. They report to admins, and typically are the authority on lore to all other staff.

Developers are their own thing. They report to Roland.

As for your question of whom out ranks whom, it depends on what they are talking about. A loremaster outranks a Gamemaster in terms of judgement around /lore/. A longstanding support should defer to the judgement of a Loremaster when it comes to things regarding character backgrounds being permissible or not. A support does not need to defer to a Loremaster if someone has an invalid character picture, lists their birth year as yesterday, or is 1" tall. Not that I think a Loremaster would ever try to say those are okay 😄

When it comes to rulebreaks or warning infractions though, those are solely the responsibility of Moderators, Gamemasters, and Administrators. The input of other staff might be considered, but that territory is strictly for those ranks.

• Administrator

A basic info section about this topic can be easily found in the newcomer guide support section. Each role's job is as followed....

Support - 1st line support, answering questions and solving user problems on forums and Discord.
Moderator - forum moderation and advanced Support tasks.
GameMaster - handling reports, ban appeals, ingame moderation.
Administrator - back end administration, staff recruitment and guidance, whitelist, Search & Destroy operations.

Developers - Make content for community and fix bugs
Loremasters - provide events, make lore, expand lore, other lore activities

The hierarchy is simple with admins on top of all the roles, and everyone is treated as an equal in staff no mattering who has more experience. The only real thing more experience does for a staff member is allow them to handle situations on their own more effectively than a newer member in that role. 
Everyone staff role reports to the admins, however when an admin isn't around the other staff members can help. So if a support member doesn't know something or is in need of help then a Moderator, Gamemaster, or even another support member can help solve the issue. The general idea goes that higher roles have the same knowledge as the lower one, but lower staff role doesn't have the same as the higher one. This is due to different tasks given to each staff section. A Gamemaster would be able to do the same job as a Support but a Support will not be able to get the job of a Gamemaster done. Loremasters and Developers are in their own little bubble that other staff members don't get involved or usually know what/how to do unless they've been in that role before.

I hope this gave you the insight you were looking for, if you have anymore questions you're free to send me a DM or wait for other staff members to reply here as well.