Server time (UTC): 2021-08-06 04:30

Dynamic Events - Contracts / Mutants
TODAY | 2021-08-06 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 14 hours, 29 minutes | Nyheim City

DayzRP mobile app?

DayzRP Mobile App?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should the DayzRP community have a mobile app to look at the forums, characters, item store and all the other amazing aspects of the website on the go with ease?

I think it should be a thing and I would honestly use it more than the website personally.

What do you guys think?

Edited by FallenAngel
  • MVP

We... we have a mobile version of the website... you can view characters and do all the things you said by just visiting the website on your phone

2 minutes ago, Whitename said:

We... we have a mobile version of the website... you can view characters and do all the things you said by just visiting the website on your phone

Mobile app not website. I just think it’d be neat but hey that’s why there’s a poll.

• Diamond

I don't think something like that is really needed to put effort into. Mobile  version of the website is friendly enough. So i voted no.

• MVP
3 minutes ago, FallenAngel said:

Mobile app not website. I just think it’d be neat but hey that’s why there’s a poll.

What could you do in this “mobile app” that you can’t currently do on the mobile site? I don’t understand

2 minutes ago, Whitename said:

What could you do in this “mobile app” and you can’t currently do on the mobile site? I don’t understand

Me personally, I don’t like tabs so I close em cause I use my stuff for work and school and I feel like it’d be easier for me to have a mobile app. I think it’s a good idea but I could care less if it becomes a thing.

• MVP

Either way, there’s no use case for a mobile app when you can already use the mobile website so I don’t think spending a few months of work on a mobile app is worth it

• Sapphire

I think that'd be more of a hassle not only for us regular community members, but also for the staff. Since you can just go on www.dayzrp.com on your phone via Chrome, because if you use any other web-browser you're weird.

39 minutes ago, SynO said:

I think that'd be more of a hassle not only for us regular community members, but also for the staff. Since you can just go on www.dayzrp.com on your phone via Chrome, because if you use any other web-browser you're weird.

I use safari due to owning an iPhone but chrome on my computers😂😂

• Game Master

As has been stated many a time, it already technically exists. Just use your browser 😄

There are EXTREMELY few features that would be at all useful to have on an 'app'. The only ones that apply to actual in-game things, which is kinda what the point of a tied-in-App would be, would be the radio broadcasts and the item shop, both of which work on the mobile version as far as I'm aware.

So this is a not-needed thing for me, way too much hassle for what it would be worth.

• Titanium

TBH I hate using internet browser on phones, whether it's Chrome or Safari. However, I know mobile app development is a pain (if done right) and can be costly. Would I prefer to use an app? absolutely, but because of all the previous reasons and those of others I voted -1.

• Emerald

I mean like obviously an app would be cool and nice, but it's definitely not worth the time/cost to hire a developer to make one.

• Sapphire

it would be good to have a proper app as it would be soo much easier to use than safari on my iphone

• Sapphire

nah we good , chrome is slick af.

• Community Manager

I think the website mobile version works well enough. An app would cost too much.

This forum has a much better mobile version that what used to be in the past. No need to have an app when your browser is all you need. 

• Diamond

I'd rather the money I spend go towards improving the server. Not making a phone app. It's a NO from me. 

• Emerald

giphy.gif

No app needed. Website works fine.

• Emerald

App development, is the single worst idea any small company can take on IMO.

The development cost is okayish from a business perspective, the issue is the maintainability.

Most App's require a continous development team to put in serious hours to keep it up-to-date for older phones and newer phones.
And then im not even bringing up the issues between iPhone and Android development.

I also highly doubt that Invision powerboard (the forum code that DayzRP currently runs on) Is very friendly for transforming it in to an app...
So that would mean alot would have to be developed to even mirror it...

Too bad you are on an iphone, because android users can pin a website to the homedash and remove the URL from sight, giving it a almost flawless App feel.

If IPB does allow for it there could be a possibility to see if it could be developed further in to a PWA (Progressive Web App).

Which would cost next to nothing to maintain except the original development cost. But PWA's are still not a standard type of app you are thinking of..

Rather a strange blend between a app and a website that is still accessed by using a browser, but it maintains offline usability for every page you previously have loaded.

• Lore Master
On 3/10/2021 at 1:04 PM, FallenAngel said:

Should the DayzRP community have a mobile app to look at the forums, characters, item store and all the other amazing aspects of the website on the go with ease?

I think it should be a thing and I would honestly use it more than the website personally.

What do you guys think?

I use the mobile version of the site all the time on an iphone while I'm afk. Sure, its different to learn to navigate, but only slightly. I don't see much room for where an app would change the already easy to use mobile version.

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

App development, is the single worst idea any small company can take on IMO.

The development cost is okayish from a business perspective, the issue is the maintainability.

Most App's require a continous development team to put in serious hours to keep it up-to-date for older phones and newer phones.
And then im not even bringing up the issues between iPhone and Android development.

I also highly doubt that Invision powerboard (the forum code that DayzRP currently runs on) Is very friendly for transforming it in to an app...
So that would mean alot would have to be developed to even mirror it...

Too bad you are on an iphone, because android users can pin a website to the homedash and remove the URL from sight, giving it a almost flawless App feel.

If IPB does allow for it there could be a possibility to see if it could be developed further in to a PWA (Progressive Web App).

Which would cost next to nothing to maintain except the original development cost. But PWA's are still not a standard type of app you are thinking of..

Rather a strange blend between a app and a website that is still accessed by using a browser, but it maintains offline usability for every page you previously have loaded.

I understood about half of that but thank you😂

• Emerald

I have used the website on my phone and its really user friendly. This seems like way to much hassle for the Devs when they have a fully working Mobile website.

• Sapphire

the website already works well with mobile phones so I dont think an app would be of any use

A key aspect of proper UX (User Experience) is relatability, I'm currently a UX/UI designer for mobile apps and when you decide to make an application like this you need to ask yourself a couple important questions, the most important being this:

Will this application provide a better user experience for the user than the mobile website?

My answer to this question at least in terms of DayzRP is no, while I actually started playing with some different concepts in Figma and found out through prototyping that honestly, honestly, because DayzRP is multi featured as a website/forums already, there is no real use for a mobile app, typically speaking mobile applications that are based off of forum websites perform quite poorly and usually end up being dumped.