Jump to content

Server time (UTC): 2021-08-01 05:25

PLIKT -- O-Squad Patrol -
TODAY | 2021-08-01 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 13 hours, 34 minutes | Nyheim City

Fast(er) travel


Aron73

Get some trains moving  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

  • VIP
Posted (edited)

I have been checking the railroad tracks, and it seems like it goes around the entire South Zagoria.
Based on my idea of a self-driving boat, I thought maybe we could have a train that moved around and stopped at pre-determined locations where stations are available.
So this is both a question and a suggestion. Let's start with the question.
Is it possible to have a train move along the tracks and stop at certain spots for a limited amount of time enough for people to get on and then transport the passengers to where ever they want to go and step off.
I don't think it should be a problem considering the answer I got from one of the community modders last time about the boat.

We could even have a ticket system like pay 20 rubles for a ticket before getting the option to step on the train.
When it comes to ic reason for this, well, look around, there are engines all over the place and from the looks of them, they seem to be in working order hell we could even go as far as to have an event about the community trying to get a train working, and maybe a group of people preventing it.
And even have an ongoing struggle like who is controlling the train maybe its the CLF, Russians or any other major group that could get some bonuses like the first one coming to mind if your group have control of the train may be free rides?
In the end, it is all up to us where this could end.
What do you all think?

Consept art

Land_Train_742_Blue.jpg.f6f7fb8997e2a02a2ee514fdea3e5d54.jpg

Edited by Aron73
Link to post
  • MVP

I think this is an amazing idea that would make travelling in Chernarus a whole lot better. Plus I love the consept art.

Link to post
  • Titanium

This is an awesome idea but I can imagine it being extremely difficult to mod. I would certainly love to see this in game.

+1 if possible

 

Link to post
  • Game Master

Good idea, begs the question of how you’re going to explain how they got these trains back up and running, though a series of events could sort that.

That being said, I’m much more in favour of a CLF speedboat or bus service :^)

Link to post
  • Diamond

A suggestion that provides both practicality in game and an event! I love it. Plus, it could create some RP even after the event where one group tries to control the train and charge people extra, etc.

+1

Link to post
  • MVP

Although this sounds like a good idea, the BBB was pretty much free if you didn't have rubles (except telling a corny joke xD) and they brought you wherever but this is meant to be an apocalyptic setting so imo it should be free to stowaways because I shouldn't have to consult with my financial advisor for rubles to ride on a train when the society is going apeshit around us.

I think this would be a lot to mod and I'm wondering if it would be worth the hassle. Also, I wonder how the server would perform. I mean the server shits itself with certain vehicles, I could only imagine what this would do with a train rolling around the server.

+1 if this could be done without affecting the server and causing it to crash. +1 if it's free because I'm cheap and I'd rather spend my roubles on whiskey and women 😉. Great suggestion though!

Link to post
  • Sapphire

Give me my boat back and ill ship you guys around.
 

+1

Link to post
  • Emerald
Posted (edited)

You tell me that you wanna make a train system for the map?

*Metro Exodus intensifies*

Take my money and do it! 

+1!

Jokes aside, great idea! But I thing a ride on such a train should cost rubbles and maybe someone with waay to much time  could even roleplay as a train driver

Edited by metalonmax
Link to post
  • VIP

I see alot of good suggestions here, and I love the positive feedback from you all.
To answer some of your questions like let's start with 

36 minutes ago, Queerios said:

Good idea, begs the question of how you’re going to explain how they got these trains back up and running, though a series of events could sort that.

That being said, I’m much more in favour of a CLF speedboat or bus service :^)

This one is easy, just look around the map, and you will see how many engines are around like Berezino got two alone, so collecting parts from one engine to get another to work would be possible.

 

25 minutes ago, EddieLR said:

Although this sounds like a good idea, the BBB was pretty much free if you didn't have rubles (except telling a corny joke xD) and they brought you wherever but this is meant to be an apocalyptic setting so imo it should be free to stowaways because I shouldn't have to consult with my financial advisor for rubles to ride on a train when the society is going apeshit around us.

I think this would be a lot to mod and I'm wondering if it would be worth the hassle. Also, I wonder how the server would perform. I mean the server shits itself with certain vehicles, I could only imagine what this would do with a train rolling around the server.

+1 if this could be done without affecting the server and causing it to crash. +1 if it's free because I'm cheap and I'd rather spend my roubles on whiskey and women 😉. Great suggestion though!

If possible, we could have passager wagons that cost to ride in and possibly some freight carts for freeloaders to hop on, and the drawback would be you really can't see where you are unless you open the door.
About the bus, we know it will crash the server if you run close to a player, but the train, first of all, don't need to be that fast, and it is also most of the time far away from any players close to roads at least while running at high-speed let us say 90?

Link to post
  • Head Admin

If only the buses in game would work. Return of BBB would be glorious.

If this is possible, sure why not.

Link to post
  • VIP
11 minutes ago, metalonmax said:

You tell me that you wanna make a train system for the map?

*Metro Exodus intensifies*

Take my money and do it! 

+1!

Jokes aside, great idea! But I thing a ride on such a train should cost rubbles and maybe someone with waay to much time  could even roleplay as a train driver

I like it, but I think maybe it would start crashing again if someone drives a train that's like ten times the size of a bus. Allso a person needs to sleep at some point

Link to post
  • Developer

Arkensor has worked on a train mod for like 4 years or something, even before modding tools came out. It's still not finished. Maybe 2022, year of the tiger?

Link to post
  • Sapphire

+1 Holy fuck It would be so fucking cool to have a train mod. I think travelling would be a lot better with it.

Link to post
  • VIP
Posted (edited)

uff holy crap! Yea that tells how little I know about modding in this game. I do have to say that looks awsome! +1 from me using that mod 😄

Edited by Aron73
Link to post
  • Sapphire

This seems pretty cool, I just imagine it would be hard to mod, but really cool idea nonetheless...

Link to post
  • VIP

I wonder how hard. I was looking at some of his other videos showing some additional features like working railroad crossings and other stuff, and I'm pretty sure that's a player-driven train, so how much easier would it be to skip all that and just have a train moving on its own and stoping at specific locations.
Again I don't know much about modding in DayZ, but in other games, that would involve placing markers and route tracking on the rails to make the train appear to follow the tracks.

Link to post
  • MVP
17 minutes ago, Aron73 said:

uff holy crap! Yea that tells how little I know about modding in this game. I do have to say that looks awsome! +1 from me using that mod 😄

The mod isnt done and never will be lol. Its been work in progress for the past 4 years.

Link to post
  • MVP

I do like the idea of a train and I believe I voted yes for it last time it was suggested iirc, although it was voted against by the majority. 

Link to post
  • Sapphire

What would be a cool idea is if a group had owned the train and then this group could be paid to transport people 

Link to post
  • Titanium

+1 but only if we can board said train and rob people, you know, to bring back those western American vibes. 

Link to post

+1 If is an issue of server crashing with a real train. We could have the server event and then implement "Fast Travel" from station to station for a fee. And once we get the "Real" train issue fixed add it to the server.

Link to post
  • Sapphire
59 minutes ago, SGCAlamor said:

+1 but only if we can board said train and rob people, you know, to bring back those western American vibes. 

 

Tbh that would be pretty cool jumping on the train sticking everyone up getting there guns and money

Link to post
  • Diamond

Lets improve server performance first.

Link to post

I feel like a Unpopular opinion right now but I just don't see a reason for any type of fast travel no matter what the circumstances are. If someone want's to get somewhere, there shouldn't be a cheesy way to do so in order to avoid any RP than if you were to travel there on foot or car.

I just don't see this being beneficial in the long run. -1

I still love you Aaron, nothing against you 😅

Link to post

I love this idea, +1 and think it could lead to so many cool RP situations. For example when the Train is refueling, someone could hold it up and rob everyone. I think this would be so cool but obviously is a very ambitious goal due to its nature so this is something for the future maybe when that mod comes out.

Link to post
  • Bryan locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...