Server time (UTC): 2021-08-04 22:14

Dynamic Events - PLIKT / Contracts
ONGOING | 2021-08-04 21:30:00 (server time) | Ends in 15 minutes | Nyheim City

Do you like Apocalyptic Radio?

I'm looking to improve my radio station on 102.5, I'm not someone who does this sort of thing professionally and would love feedback you might not be able to give IC. Software choice, volume levels, and whatnot. There are certain things that can't be helped and I try my best to rectify such as: Audio bugs where I have to restart DayZ in the middle of a broadcast (my *least* favorite), broadcast timing (I have my time to do this so I'll do it at that time), and random chit chat of others over the broadcast either innocent or trying to get a rise out of me. <- these cannot entirely be helped. But other things can improve for when we have those good moments and songs that hit the heart. Thank you for your help, those that so choose.

• Legend

I listen to it and really enjoy it. It makes a change to listening to spotify all the time when travelling around. Only think I can suggest is maybe report more on things that are happening in game, as I have only heard a few things about them. Maybe get some guests on show? Also I don't know how many times I have to drop emotes for you to play ABBA. But overall I really like to listen to ya! Keep it up!

• Legend
2 hours ago, ContheTank said:

I have played ABBA, gotta listen more chief! And noted on the news.

Indeed. Heard it today and sang along. Nice! But yeah, @Basko is a good shout to ask for advice in things like this. He ran Redwood Radio last lore and did a bunch of radios and posters to promote things, it was really cool! 

5 minutes ago, DrMax said:

Indeed. Heard it today and sang along. Nice! But yeah, @Basko is a good shout to ask for advice in things like this. He ran Redwood Radio last lore and did a bunch of radios and posters to promote things, it was really cool! 

I'll reach out to him, thanks for the tip!

• Diamond

I really enjoy listening to the radio show whenever its on and grooving to the tunes as I run about the map! 😄

This has probably already been said but i'd say having a wider variety of things on the radio other than just music like having a talk show type vibe, invite different guests on to talk about either things on their mind, leaders of groups to promote their groups and even have interactive games maybe? Like give a clue to find something over the radio and then wait to see who turns up first to find it. Quizes could also be a thought? ^^

• Emerald
20 hours ago, DrMax said:

Only think I can suggest is maybe report more on things that are happening in game, as I have only heard a few things about them. 

This 100%. The way the show is run and the character managing it is great, I think you should definitely keep it up! 

With what Max said, you could definitely improve the authenticity of it and make it an actual staple part of the day for everyone on the server. With a news segment every couple of songs, even if it's repeated information, would really tie in a lot of people to the current situation IC. Plus, your character really reminded me of Three Dog from GNR in Fallout 3, gave me good vibes 😊✌️

30 minutes ago, Kordruga said:

This 100%. The way the show is run and the character managing it is great, I think you should definitely keep it up! 

With what Max said, you could definitely improve the authenticity of it and make it an actual staple part of the day for everyone on the server. With a news segment every couple of songs, even if it's repeated information, would really tie in a lot of people to the current situation IC. Plus, your character really reminded me of Three Dog from GNR in Fallout 3, gave me good vibes 😊✌️

Its a long ways away but I do want to give the opportunity for more radio hosts involved, unique niches, and keeping up with the news is something I'm gonna work on during my shows! Thank you much!

1 hour ago, DrLettuce said:

I really enjoy listening to the radio show whenever its on and grooving to the tunes as I run about the map! 😄

This has probably already been said but i'd say having a wider variety of things on the radio other than just music like having a talk show type vibe, invite different guests on to talk about either things on their mind, leaders of groups to promote their groups and even have interactive games maybe? Like give a clue to find something over the radio and then wait to see who turns up first to find it. Quizes could also be a thought? ^^

WIP and I do have stuff like that lined up and have done it in the past. I'm thinking of planning out segments rather than just winging it.

• Titanium

I really like the concept of it. I listen to it from time to time but, like you said, hearing everyone talking on the frequency is the biggest downside along with the fact that everyone hears you if you try to talk in game... If there could be a mod to make it a one way thing, I would definitely listen to it more often! 

Also, like someone else said, make more "Information segment" about IC news! Even if you have to repeat some news, it's alright. That's how real radio works! Maybe get guests like group leaders and whatnot to talk about who they are, what are their goals, deny some misconceptions about their group, etc. 

• Sapphire

personally i love the radio i think you should do a suggestions thread for what songs people want as that would make a good variation but other than that its amazing mate

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

I love the radio show dude. It’s great to listen to ya in game and get to hear some of the news the goes around (whether it’s true or not) it’s still enjoyable. Only thing I can add is take song requests even if you have to play Surfing Bird 15 times.

Something that be worth suggesting is a possible one way radio (if that’s even possible) to keep people from talking over the music

Edited by RocJag
  • Sapphire

I know you don't want to hear from me, but I listen quietly almost everyday I can catch the radio show on. it does get frustrating when people won't be quiet and let those of us who listen, listen in peace. Keep up the awesome job and look forward to hearing the different genres of music you come up with to play over the radio!

• Owner

I haven't listened to it since I don't play DayZ, but if it's well produced it's a very cool addition.

Tips from the coach: Have a schedule so people can get notified and know when to get in game to listen. It could actually be an incentive for some to get in game and it would boost our numbers. If you make it a regular thing I could add a small notification on the website that the radio show is live.

• VIP

I only listened to it once, but yea, I do like it, and I think it has great potential. I'm a former web radio DJ for Radio Dreamland, so if you want some tips and tricks, just ask away.

• Sapphire

I met 2 of your lads yesterday and they gave me a ride to where I needed to go it’s safe to say not only is it an amazing radio you also have some good people too! 

• Diamond

Love apocalyptic radio, tuned in while building our base and asked for pink floyd.
I was not disappointed. Keep going with the radio stuff my dude.
good luck

I tuned in one time. Just one. I didn’t stay because I couldn’t hear a thing due to so many people tuning in and wanting to be dicks and yelled into the radio.

• Titanium
Posted (edited)

Personally I enjoy listening to the radio, but I'll be honest... I wish there was an easy way to do the shows out of the game. Example would be using virtual audio cables on an embedded player here on the site, but it's somewhat complicated and you have to pay for a (don't know the right term) host system to transmit the audio. Doing that would allow everyone to listen without always have a battery in their radio or running around with it on... and more importantly wouldn't let people jump in to talk over you. 

As for the content, it's great... but like @DrMax said, I prefer to hear the reports on the current events (news) in the game. I was apart of that group that came up to you with the gas masks requesting you give a global announcement on wearing proper PPE and maintain distance protocols, etc. I think that more of that kind of stuff coming through your broadcasts would be epic, and you could even get the people you live with to go out and collect news from the groups. Hell, I know @Kase's new character is a reporter/vlogger of some sorts, maybe you could pay him for IC info lol. 

Edited by SGCAlamor
13 hours ago, Roland said:

I haven't listened to it since I don't play DayZ, but if it's well produced it's a very cool addition.

Tips from the coach: Have a schedule so people can get notified and know when to get in game to listen. It could actually be an incentive for some to get in game and it would boost our numbers. If you make it a regular thing I could add a small notification on the website that the radio show is live.

I will look into a schedule and get back to everyone. Thank you for the tips and tricks big chief.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SGCAlamor said:

Personally I enjoy listening to the radio, but I'll be honest... I wish there was an easy way to do the shows out of the game. Example would be using virtual audio cables on an embedded player here on the site, but it's somewhat complicated and you have to pay for a (don't know the right term) host system to transmit the audio. Doing that would allow everyone to listen without always have a battery in their radio or running around with it on... and more importantly wouldn't let people jump in to talk over you. 

As for the content, it's great... but like @DrMax said, I prefer to hear the reports on the current events (news) in the game. I was apart of that group that came up to you with the gas masks requesting you give a global announcement on wearing proper PPE and maintain distance protocols, etc. I think that kind of stuff coming through your broadcasts would be epic, and you could even get the people you live with to go out and collect news from the groups. Hell, I know @Kase's new character is a reporter/vlogger of some sorts. 

The news is a hard mistress, I don't know when I've said too much, I don't have a script when I do the radio show. I do have my pre-written news stories but to read them aloud every other song would grow tiresome. In all honestly there is a lot I want to develop with the character as a "radio host" if you read my character's backstory, he does not have any natural talent. There is a lot I have planned for Sam and the Apocalyptic Radio Station, so I will leave it at that! Thank you though, I will keep it in mind. As for the website and embedded audio, I leave that up to the staff, I am here to serve in that regard.

Edited by ContheTank
Grammar
  • Titanium
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ContheTank said:

The news is a hard mistress, I don't know when I've said too much, I don't have a script when I do the radio show. I do have my pre-written news stories but to read them allowed every other song would grow tiresome. In all honestly there is a lot I want to develop with the character as a "radio host" if you read my character's backstory, he does not have any natural talent. There is a lot I have planned for Sam and the Apocalyptic Radio Station, so I will leave it at that! Thank you though, I will keep it in mind. As for the website and embedded audio, I leave that up to the staff, I am here to serve in that regard.

Yeah I get that 100%, plus if you get some news that offends the parties involved and you air it... it might lead to trouble or at least unwanted interactions for your character. My advice, would be to conduct the news like normal DJs for radio stations IRL. They usually have a 5-10 minute news section early, in the middle, or at the end of their segment. Now they talk about gossip in-between songs or shoot the shit, but the actual confirmed news is usually kept to a specific section. NGL if you did that, I'd probably tune in daily to keep up to date on IC stories, on my character of course. 

In the end, it's up to you and what you want for your character. You're doing great imo!

Edited by SGCAlamor
1 minute ago, SGCAlamor said:

Yeah I get that 100%, plus if you get some news that offends the parties involved and you air it... it might lead to trouble or at least unwanted interactions for your character. My advice, would be to conduct the news like normal DJs for radio stations IRL. They usually have a 5-10 minute news section early, in the middle, or at the end of their segment. Now they talk about gossip during songs or shoot the shit, but the actual confirmed news is usually kept to a specific section. NGL if you did that, I'd probably tune in daily to keep up to date on IC stories, on my character of course. 

I will tell you that I am always going to be doing one or two news segments from now on, it has worked out the last couple broadcasts, of about 1-2 minutes with 2-3 reports either new or old of some significance to the present. I'm also thinking about having the moments people really enjoyed from my character which was my storytelling. If there is no news reports Sam will do what he always does, get high, get stoic. I'm looking forward to trying it out.