Server time (UTC): 2021-08-01 04:11

PLIKT -- O-Squad Patrol -
TODAY | 2021-08-01 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 14 hours, 48 minutes | Nyheim City

Make zombies a danger

metalonmax

Make Zombies a Danger  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Emerald

Lets be real, zombies are not a danger. You just pull an Obi Wan at them and spray them down with your AK. What I always thought is missing from the game are like The Walking Dead zombie hordes or just in general zombies that are harder to kill. I don't know if thats only my opinion but I'd like to see Zombie Hordes and maybe even multiple types of zombies. 

• Game Master
14 minutes ago, metalonmax said:

Lets be real, zombies are not a danger. You just pull an Obi Wan at them and spray them down with your AK. What I always thought is missing from the game are like The Walking Dead zombie hordes or just in general zombies that are harder to kill. I don't know if thats only my opinion but I'd like to see Zombie Hordes and maybe even multiple types of zombies. 

Children Peoples GIF

Be quiet or Roland will hear you 😄 Last time people pushed for 'stronger zombies' the application was doubling/tripling/increasing their health and damage. I still remember needing three .22 rounds to the head to kill infected.

Changing zombies up by adding new ones isn't easy; there ARE other forms of zombies around (like tank zombies and sprinters) but you won't be able to do hordes for the simple fact that it'll break the game and crash people.

Staff with tools can spawn zombies in, and frequently when this happens people get dropped/kicked/lagged to single digit frames. I've personally experienced it on Namalsk at the school when another GM ran an event and suddenly my computer turned into a potato and it was like playing a PowerPoint Slideshow zombie shooter.

EDIT: When I say spawning them in breaks the game, I mean spawning them in in great number. Even a dozen+ is enough to cause issues, but making any sense of a 'horde' can be much worse.

• Emerald
Just now, Rover said:

Children Peoples GIF

Be quiet or Roland will hear you 😄 Last time people pushed for 'stronger zombies' the application was doubling/tripling/increasing their health and damage. I still remember needing three .22 rounds to the head to kill infected.

Changing zombies up by adding new ones isn't easy; there ARE other forms of zombies around (like tank zombies and sprinters) but you won't be able to do hordes for the simple fact that it'll break the game and crash people.

Staff with tools can spawn zombies in, and frequently when this happens people get dropped/kicked/lagged to single digit frames. I've personally experienced it on Namalsk at the school when another GM ran an event and suddenly my computer turned into a potato and it was like playing a PowerPoint Slideshow zombie shooter.

Was just an Idea 😄 Sadly I don't know what is and what isn't possible with DayZ. 

No and no. There was a thread a while back, saying that zombies should be weaker, it got accepted. And now there's a suggestion on making them strong again... I'm sorry but i don't want to shoot an infected 3 times in head so it could die. There's plenty of infected around the towns and if you shoot once, all of them will come running to you. Infected are as good as they are now.

Don't change them.

Thank you.

1.gif.a234b45e97862cdd4f096549543c5a89.gif

• Diamond

No no no. When the zeds were stronger, it was OP. It was just too much. They should not be changed.

• Emerald

Ah, yes, another zombie thread. 

I will echo what community member The Preacher just said - zombies used to be wayyyy too strong once upon a time. A year ago during winter chernarus, you'd have to wail on a zombie with a splitting axe over a dozen times to actually kill one. I promise that isn't an exaggeration.

Currently I think we've found the sweet spot for zombies. Depending on the caliber most of them still die from a gunshot to the head. Heavy melee attacks with the right weapons at the right time will also one-shot them. This isn't unrealistic and this has nothing to do with them not being a danger. If you are smart, stealthy, and methodical you can take out zombies one at a time and have a very easy go at it - but it is time consuming. If you are in a hurry, you'll find a horde of zombies is far more difficult to deal with if you elect to use a firearm.

As it stands right now the current strength of zombies rewards people stopping to think before they run through the middle of town alone, and weigh different options of how to deal with them. But it isn't outright impossible for a single person to navigate a city of zombies.

Keep it the way it is please.

• Game Master

Until they give the zombies FALs, they will be a nuisance at best. Gameplay wise, they're buggy and shit, buffing them only annoys people because it changes nothing about gameplay other than left clicking on them again.

• Sapphire
Posted (edited)

-1 fat negative. I remember when Zombies took atleast 4 bullets to kill, not only that I believe they had a damage increase. I can guarantee you that people who vote yes for this will soon complain to roland and make a suggestion to revert the changes, then someone will make another suggestion (give or take about a month) complaining zombies are weak. 

Edited by Trijim
  • Diamond

Its a no from me. I remember Deer Isle. Same spawn smaller map. Oh boy if you tried to shoot anywhere in populated area. Prepare yourself some spare magazines. I dont see them as a issue. They get spawned by GM´s for example and thats ok. But making them harder or bigger spawn? There is many possibilities to get DayZd even how it is now.  I dont se how this would even improve RP.  

• VIP

I'm sorry, but we tried this before, and it worked for about one week before people started to complain, so -1 from me.

• Administrator

Personally I like the idea of the infected being more dangerous. I like the idea of a group of infected coming through and forcing groups of people to disperse. So I will go with a doubly unpopular opinion here and say increase zombie health and spawns. Sure, it can be a bit annoying and immersion breaking to have to shoot an infected in the head more than once, but personally it's not such a big deal to me because having zombies in the first place is already otherworldly.

• Sapphire
Posted (edited)

I have a hard time as it is when I 1v1 them, as a person who doesn't carry AKs and Pistols or any type of firearm as it doesnt make sense for my character to do so, this would be unfair towards people who roleplay without using those types of weapons.

it's a nono from me. 😞

Edited by Popet

I was actually planning on suggesting something like this as well. Infected at the moment are too weak, and you don't just fix it by making them take an extra bullet since the player can still jump on literally anything and deal with them. 
I get that by increasing a number of infected in a small area would result in performance drop and other issues, but it could be optimized. Now, I don't know if it could be optimized with coding (I never modded for DayZ so..), but there are ways to trick this 'system' and go around whole performance drop issues.

• For example, what I was thinking of is adding different kinds of infected and/or even adding "mutants" (not like before when we had 'immortal' heavies). Taking inspiration from other games (Left4Dead2; S.T.A.L.K.E.R; Dying Light; etc.) and/or movies (Walking Dead; World War Z; Train to Busan; etc.). There are plenty of mods on the workshop to cover these and as for the ones - missing, it is possible to make them from scratch, using free resources on the web if needed
  • Infected path-finding and spawn rates/locations could be worked on.
    For example: Altering their path-finding would mean that they wouldn't roam off that easily and it would be harder for player to avoid their attention. This would make it harder for the player to just run around different areas and would produce the "horde-like" effect without even increasing the number of infected that spawn in the area therefore not impacting the performance.
    As for spawn rates/locations, adding a random infected spawn location on a highway, for example, and altering their path-finding so that unless their attention is caught by players/wildlife, small groups of infected would follow the road in a specific direction. This would also produce the "horde-like" effect like in The Walking Dead series, while it wouldn't impact the performance as long as it's well executed.

Why do something like this? The server is perfectly fine without these 'upgrades':

1. Immersion:
    A good portion of the world is breaking apart because of the infection, but if 'the infection' is same everywhere as in "in-game Chernarus", then It would've been, realistically, dealt with a long time ago...
  2. More in-game content:
    Lets set a scene for example, sometimes the ordinary RP gets a bit dull and slow-paced. Nothing is going on and you and your mates are just sitting around a campfire, all of you are running out of dialogue options since you already know everything about each other and running to the nearest RP hub is a no because at that moment the server population is low and nobody is around. If we had different variations of infected + hordes, it would allow for some good PvE content. Imagine you and your mates assembling a squad to go hunting for a specific kind of infected or going and clearing an area of an entire horde. Some people would get such experiences, that they would even PK if their character dies in an interesting way in scenarios that these small additions could produce.

What would be an excuse for different types of infected appearing suddenly out of nowhere in the game?
There are different options to deal with this sort of issue:

1. Adding another wave of the infection mutating, causing infected to grow in to different forms;
  2. Pulling a good ol' western classic "The evil Russians and their evil experiments in their evil labs for evil purposes in the name of their evilness";
  3. Acting as if they were always in game.

Pros and Cons of this idea:
Pros:

• Providing more in game content;
  • Possibility of PvE;
  • Increased Immersion;
  • Giving the old players something new to try out and attracting new players (having in mind that not many RP servers have this option with infected);
  • Allowing new types of stories and experiences to develop;
  • Many players sometimes act as If there is no apocalypse going on, implementing this idea would potentially change that as the players would have to become more aware of their surroundings. Since then, on top of hostilities that the player may have with other players/factions, he/she would have another concern to worry about.

Cons:

• If executed poorly, performance drop is guaranteed;
  • Would take a considerable amount of work to make this a reality;
  • Even if executed correctly, adding more different mods on top of each other would certainly result in some bugs/glitches here and there, especially when working with in-game AI path-finding.
  • Some players definitely share different opinions on this topic and would most likely rather not change anything.
Edited by N1RU
typo
  • Emerald

Hey Max, sorry to be ever the contrarian, You know I love you ❤️... however: +1 for keeping them the same*

There have been many times I've been killed by zombies (Most of my deaths are from zombies) and I think they should be somewhat of a threat as they are now.

I find they often "get in the way" of an RP moment. Lets say 2 people are having a heartfelt moment ( @Niveous @MoreNerd I'm looking at you) and a zombie comes screaming over, it just breaks up the situation and brings you out of the moment. 

*I do actually think that Hordes would be a good idea walking dead style. I don't know the technical aspects or whether the server would die under the weight but it would make them a threat and also become the RP moment, potentially making enemies work together for a short time just to survive.

~Feahlyx

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

The zombies are fine where they are. The only time I think zombies should be buffed is durning winter as they would be frozen, but as of now, don’t change zombies

1. Making “Walking Dead Hordes” is kinda a thing already that is given to us by Horde Events. So there is no need to make any more, plus dead bodies crash people if there is a huge about. When a loremaster or mod or whoever does horde events, they can regulate the amount of dead bodies to prevent people from crashing. 

2. Your not wrong about increasing zombie spawns. I think if zombie spawn and health increase could cause issues server and player issues.

3. As I said before, I think zombie health should be increased during winter to make a “Frozen Infected” which kinda makes sense

@N1RU Just saw your post when I posted

I agree with the mutants mod as it would add more varieties when it came to infected and I think it would be a great addition to some places. I could see if we had a toxic zone, and there would be mutants that occupy that zone

Edited by RocJag
  • Diamond
16 minutes ago, Popet said:

I have a hard time as it is when I 1v1 them, as a person who doesn't carry AKs and Pistols or any type of firearm as it doesnt make sense for my character to do so, this would be unfair towards people who roleplay without using those types of weapons.

it's a nono from me. 😞

I really don't think you need to carry a AK to deal with them. Knives stun lock them, splitting axes consistently one shot and stun lock, most decent weapons stun lock and if all else fails you can always block, but maybe I'm off base.

I think more zombies would be nice as long as they don't crash people.

• Legend

DayZ bad zombie game with poor mechanics.

Every time they were made harder it only became a nuisance, not a danger.

If there were proper mechanics in place, they responded to sound and other stimulus properly and there were numerous other ways to deal with infected than shooting them (when made much harder), then i'd say yes.

Until then, big no from me chief

• Sapphire
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JasonBR said:

I really don't think you need to carry a AK to deal with them. Knives stun lock them, splitting axes consistently one shot and stun lock, most decent weapons stun lock and if all else fails you can always block, but maybe I'm off base.

I think more zombies would be nice as long as they don't crash people.

With firearms its easier to kill 5-10 of them, someone with a melee weapon... Not so much, in a realistic world not everyone knows or can use a firearm, so they are left with a melee weapon to handle the infected, if we buff them or make is to there are more to be spawned in, majority of us will have a unfair disadvantage, think it would be fair to keep it as it is 🙂

Edited by Popet
  • Legend

Honestly they'd be fine if they could just climb obstacles. The get on top of a car or statue thing is always lame. 

Right now the only way an infected can kill you is if a glitch happens. They are extremely easy to deal with. I would love to see different types of infected. It would spice up the gameplay and it would also require more effort in killing them. If we don't want to add different types of infected then I think we should at least increase the spawns.

Edited by Thundergunmax
spelling

I think the best solution so far would be special zombies. One thing I miss about my switch from 7 days to die to Dayz if the lack of special infected. On a pvp server, there was never a bigger "oh shit" moment then stumbling into 3 radiated police zombies and having to make the snap decision of: "do I spray them down and give away my position to everyone nearby? Or do I try my best to melee them to death and pray they don't explode on me?" I know this is not an emphasized  kos/pvp server by any means, but using your firearm gives a lot of info to anyone rping as a bandit/hostile. If I was a bandit, and I heard someone using a .22 to take down zombies, I think I would be more than willing to sniff them out for some hostile rp.

On top of that, it might give the loremasters extra creative space to explain why these new special infected have come about. Similar to cutscenes in zombie games that showcase a few type of infected for you to say "oh shit!" to. Who knows, maybe at the next huge fight between rival factions we see that all their RPG spam attracts a few special infected from out of the woodworks. I know it might be hard to implement decent special zombies, and i'm not asking for a L4D2 port to Dayz- just that, if it is possible, we could add a cool special infected or two.

At the moment, I enjoy how easy it is to kill infected. While I can definitely agree that the concept is well-intentioned, at the moment the things you can adjust regarding infected simply aren't enough to provide a good danger without feeling overly tanky. I think the current way of handling things is best, as it takes 4-5 hits to the body to down an infected, but maybe only 1-2 if it's a headshot. I feel powerful, and I feel the weight better of my strikes with this system. 

• Diamond

I say we just turn them off and have a zombie-less server, I come here to RP, not to kill zombies, come on man.

• MVP

Why don't we look into some alternative zombie mods to add more types?