Server time (UTC): 2021-07-31 04:50

Lore Event - "The Scientists"
TODAY | 2021-07-31 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 14 hours, 9 minutes | Nyheim City

Addition to the 1.5 rule

Addition to the 1.5 rule  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Sapphire

OPTION A: I believe their needs to be an addition to the 1.5 rule. Simply adding, "All post to threads must be in complete sentences in order to be deemed constructive to the post." Now the reason I think some kind of addition like this needs to be added is because yesterday I received points replying to a thread simply answering the question. The post I made was on topic, not a meme, and technically constructive. But since the 1.5 rule is too vague in this area, I received points as well as all the other people who replied with something similar after me. 

OPTION B: Another option I have is simply not giving points to people when they reply to threads answering it's question, no matter the length of the reply. As long as the post is on topic, is not a meme, and is constructive (replying with one word answers would be considered constructive, if it answered the OP thread's question)

OPTION C : Do nothing

• MVP

Exactly, I feel like I'm back in highschool and my english teacher is criticizing me for the length of my essay.

Not every answer on a thread has to be an essay, especially not on a simple mood thread like "What is your favorite weapon."

On actual discussions? Makes sense, but in this case? The name of your favorite gun completely answers the question, and yet its UP because of technicalities, stop policing things that aren't harmful.

• Emerald

I was actually torn about participating in a short answer question out of fear of getting points for a concise answer and being too lazy to make a fake long answer.

• Emerald
Posted (edited)

sometimes a thread needs a size 72 no, +1 for option b.

Edited by Banksyy
  • MVP

I think instead of changing the rules there just needs to be a general relaxation when a post directly answers the topic at hand. A post can have 1000 words and still be unnecessary compared to a one or two word post that directly answers the question posed. 

• Game Master

This is no different then the people that complained about suggestions said that were basically.:
"Should we add this mod?"
And people replied yes/no. 

1.5 Do not reply to old threads with no new relevant information (also known as "necro"). The general rule is that all threads with last reply older than 3 months should not be replied to unless one responds with new, relevant information. Forum posts must keep a high standard and add a constructive and meaningful opinion that contributes to the thread at hand. Examples of non-constructive and non-contributing replies are simple and meaningless expressions like "lol", jokes, memes, banter or replies containing only pictures, gifs or other unrelated media. Off topic forums and status updates are the only areas on the website exempt from this rule.

A constructive and meaningful opinion.

"What is your favorite gun?"
"<gun name>"

That is neither constructive, nor meaningful. Its on subject to the point at hand. It is an opinion.

If your argument is "Its constructive cause it answers the thread" then every single thing ever posted on the forum is 'constructive' cause it adds to the thread. Including meme gifs.

Seriously. It is not hard to just go "<gun name> because <reason>." 

When the bar is already at the height of your big toe, it takes a minuscule amount of effort to lift your foot and step over it.

• Sapphire
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Rover said:

If your argument is "Its constructive cause it answers the thread" then every single thing ever posted on the forum is 'constructive' cause it adds to the thread. Including meme gifs.

I don't agree. I honestly believe replying to a thread and answering it is constructive, no matter the length. There is definitely a difference between answering the question of the thread and replying with a random meme. 

"<gun name>"

How is this not constructive? It literally answers the guys question. He simply wanted to know what gun you like. If someone made a thread and asked, "How many kills have you got in a PVP server?" and you reply with the amount. Is that not enough for the post? Do you have to explain every kill in detail? Should simple question threads like that not be allowed because they bait UP with short replies?

Edited by Colt
  • Diamond
13 minutes ago, Rover said:

This is no different then the people that complained about suggestions said that were basically.:
"Should we add this mod?"
And people replied yes/no. 

"<gun name>"

That is neither constructive, nor meaningful. Its on subject to the point at hand. It is an opinion.

Seriously. It is not hard to just go "<gun name> because <reason>." 

When the bar is already at the height of your big toe, it takes a minuscule amount of effort to lift your foot and step over it.

I back this, isn’t any point in getting your forum posts up just by posting one word answers. 
And like @Rover said it doesn’t take any longer just explaining your reason for saying x or y is better then or worse then. 
If it’s not broken it doesn’t need fixing 

• Head Admin

This poll is very one sided, just saying. Even option C belittles those who want the rule to stay as it is.

I believe it should. We're not Reddit or 4chan where you can get 1000 replies with one word answers. We want more quality and effort in our posts. It's simple as that.

• MVP

To me this sort of shit never made sense. If someone makes a question "Are there any KOS zones?" and I simply reply with "No." then I get points because it's a one word reply even though it clearly answers the question. Same goes if someone asks what is your favorite gun. If you reply with your favorite gun you get points. Makes no sense.

I vote 🅱️🅱️ is the best option.

• MVP
25 minutes ago, Rover said:

If your argument is "Its constructive cause it answers the thread" then every single thing ever posted on the forum is 'constructive' cause it adds to the thread. Including meme gifs

No it isn’t. When there’s a poll, adding “yes” or “+1” when you could achieve the same result my pressing a button is unnecessary. But when an open ended question with no poll is asked I don’t see how a one word answer isn’t satisfactory. Now is it hard to add an explanation? No, of course not. But when a post directly answers a question and is of the same vein as hours old posts I fail to see why a warning is necessary.

“What’s your favourite gun?”

“The revolver!” 

“Not enough. Slap on the wrist for you.”

• Game Master
1 minute ago, Whitename said:

No it isn’t. When there’s a poll, adding “yes” or “+1” when you could achieve the same result my pressing a button is unnecessary. But when an open ended question with no poll is asked I don’t see how a one word answer isn’t satisfactory. Now is it hard to add an explanation? No, of course not. But when a post directly answers a question and is of the same vein as hours old posts I fail to see why a warning is necessary.

“What’s your favourite gun?”

“The revolver!” 

“Not enough. Slap on the wrist for you.”

32 minutes ago, Rover said:

"<gun name>"

Because it is not constructive nor is it a meaningful opinion, as explained above.

You are welcome to disagree of course.

• MVP

Let me add on to this. If I go into “Whose roleplay did you enjoy to today” and post:

”Good RP from Whitename Joe and David today!”

How is that not pointed? Is it because it’s a complete sentence? Would “My favorite gun is the revolver!” get pointed?

• Emerald

This is the first thread I've ever seen created because of 3 points 😂 

That being said, it's kinda nit picky and new people might get a slap on the wrists because they weren't aware that an extra sentence is needed to skrrrt the rule

Sorry staff, I'm contributing to you losing free activity points 

🅱️

• MVP
2 minutes ago, Rover said:

Because it is not constructive nor is it a meaningful opinion, as explained above.

How is an answer to a question not meaningful or constructive? People are more than welcome to expand, agree with, disagree with, etc. a one word reply when it answers a question. 

The entire thread looks like an activity farm. i’m not saying that’s what it is, I’ve been in the community long enough to know better. But at first glance pointing a whole bunch of people for answering the question — especially with two accepted appeals on the table before they got overturned — looks horrible. 

• Emerald
Posted (edited)

1.5 Do not reply to old threads with no new relevant information (also known as "necro"). The general rule is that all threads with last reply older than 3 months should not be replied to unless one responds with new, relevant information. Forum posts must keep a high standard and add a constructive and meaningful opinion that contributes to the thread at hand. Examples of non-constructive and non-contributing replies are simple and meaningless expressions like "lol", jokes, memes, banter or replies containing only pictures, gifs or other unrelated media. Off topic forums and status updates are the only areas on the website exempt from this rule.

Here is my question if there is a topic lets say "whats your favorite color?" you reply with " blue"  by these recent appeals that is breaking 1.5 rule?
Buts you are by all mean following this part of the rule "Forum posts must keep a high standard and add a constructive and meaningful opinion that contributes to the thread at hand"
Well the thread at hand is favorite color, so you replying with your favorite color is well a meaningful post to the thread at hand. If a thread is not meaningful and only requires a short awnser people should not be held up to the 1.5  standard of the longer awnsers.  Another thing I feel was missed is " Examples of non-constructive and non-contributing replies are simple and meaningless expressions like "lol", jokes, memes, banter or replies containing only pictures, gifs or other unrelated media."  So me saying blue then posting a gif of something blue would be related and not a break of 1.5 . I feel like when staff made there choices they where comparing them to the standard of the dayzrp fourm not the standard of the thread. 

My awnser is C I think staff need to take into account the thread at hand and what replies it needs to have a meaningful reply. 

Edited by lunathecat
  • Emerald
25 minutes ago, Kordruga said:

I'm contributing to you losing free activity points 

^^^^^^^

Answering a question = answering a question

If the question is simple and easy to answer, why write an essay in order to back up your argument?

We ain't law students we are roleplayers and considering this poll is in direct relation to the gun thread, i am yet to see an answer to that thread which does not answer the question of the thread or relate to discussion between community members about the thread.

I am 100% behind option B

• Game Master
1 hour ago, Whitename said:

How is an answer to a question not meaningful or constructive? People are more than welcome to expand, agree with, disagree with, etc. a one word reply when it answers a question.

Because it is not constructive, and it is not a meaningful opinion. It is an answer.

This isn't the first time people have griped over catching points.

Put the extra effort in to explain yourself.

Contribute to improving the standard of forum posts.

53 minutes ago, Elrod said:

Answering a question = answering a question

If it was a report where a Gamemaster asked them a simple yes/no question? Then yes.

+1 to B  

I fail to see how people can get warned for one worded, sentence when it is on topic I understand if it was off topic like a shit meme or something.

"What is your favourite weapon"  

"FAL"

GETS POINTED.

Edited by Blakeh08
  • Diamond
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hofer said:

This poll is very one sided, just saying. Even option C belittles those who want the rule to stay as it is.

I believe it should. We're not Reddit or 4chan where you can get 1000 replies with one word answers. We want more quality and effort in our posts. It's simple as that.

It’s an online community not a book club, I literally can’t fathom why anyone would actually give a shit if someone had a simple “yes/no” answer to a thread unless that’s a completely off base response to the original topic. It’s policing for the sake of it instead of a meaningful reason and makes the community look petty and over-moderated.

Edited by Squillium
  • Game Master

Staff discretion is usually a better answer, I don't see how your post can be unnecessary when directly answering the question. Kinda wild.

• Sapphire

Idk, they asked what was my favorite weapon. Anything could be a weapon, and the best weapon I've seen so far was fear. People are scared to lose things, scared to PK characters, lose gear, etc. It creates a great atmosphere in game. Without fear RP is meaningless. Maybe I should've explained it better gave it more wording. But a weapon is a weapon, it doesnt have to be a firearm and the thread was not restricted to firearms.

• Emerald

Instead of pointing those who replied to a simple question of "What is your favorite weapon", the thread itself should've gotten moved to Offtopic.

Besides that, i voted for C. Short yes/no replies add nothing to a serious thread.

• Diamond
Posted (edited)

The "What is you favorite gun?" thread never asked for why we liked the gun so people just said what they liked. I NEVER would've through I would get points for voicing my opinion about my favorite gun. If the thread were to say "What is your favorite gun and WHY?" then the answers would've been more full instead of a word. If I were to ask someone what their favorite VR headset was, Id get multiple answers and MOST LIKELY get one word answers. 

I VOTE FOR B

Edited by RocJag
  • Emerald
2 hours ago, Colt said:

I don't agree. I honestly believe replying to a thread and answering it is constructive, no matter the length.(snip)

"<gun name>"

How is this not constructive? It literally answers the guys question. (snip)

Its not constructive because anyone else reading the thread will get no information other than: "Oh, I now know X's favourite weapon". Its literally pointless information.

Adding a reason means that people reading the thread can get some useful information, e.g.: "I like the SKS because it allows for a PU scope". This is useful because it allows people to understand why others like certain weapons and gives them a better understanding of the game in general (Someone may not know the PU scope fits on an SKS for example).

Adding more to the rules will just make them bloated and harder to read, and 3 warning points is just that, a warning. Changing the wording to make it easier to understand though, I can agree that could be a decent move.

~Feahlyx