Server time (UTC): 2021-08-03 10:39

Dynamic Events: "The Mutated.."
TODAY | 2021-08-03 19:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 8 hours, 20 minutes | Nyheim City

Might not make it home

Terra

The characters in this are brilliantly written. I forget I'm reading, because I'm seeing  the story and the people. I love the tenderness in the relationship between Yakov and Iva. A lot of really specific details made this read really sincere and authentic. It's sweet  and sad and also familiar somehow. Kinda seems pro quality to be honest. Gave me chills. I hope you post more ❤️

• Legend
14 hours ago, Oryx said:

The characters in this are brilliantly written. I forget I'm reading, because I'm seeing  the story and the people. I love the tenderness in the relationship between Yakov and Iva. A lot of really specific details made this read really sincere and authentic. It's sweet  and sad and also familiar somehow. Kinda seems pro quality to be honest. Gave me chills. I hope you post more ❤️

Thank you so much for your nice words, it made my day. I will write more, I promise ❤️

• Administrator

I fucking love this. You are amazing @Terra ❤️

• Legend

Thank you @Bryan ❤

• MVP

Hello, this looks & reads very good. That Yakov must be a great character.

winking wink GIF by Jim Gaffigan

• Legend
20 hours ago, Ron said:

Hello, this looks & reads very good. That Yakov must be a great character.

winking wink GIF by Jim Gaffigan

Thank you for the inspiration and your help with the graphics ❤😘

• MVP

My body hits the wall. A numb pain in my face. I open my eyes and things start to get dizzy. I see Oliver. The look on his face is pure fear. I take a deep breath and stand up straight again. My eyes scan the room, I hear voices from all around me. My ears are ringing. There are peoples shapes in the hallway and the sound of steps down the staircase. I look into this guy's face. He is standing in front of me. For a second he seems surprised that his punch did not put me off my feet. He glances to his side and raises the gun in his hand. The tip of the barrel comes to stop at Iva’s temple.

Her skin looks shiny from the tears running down her cheeks. I look up and down on her. Her body seems tense and to be shaking at the same time. She holds this old knife in her hand. He speaks to her with a grin on his face while his eyes look at me. She shakes her head to his words. I push myself away from the wall and stumble towards them. It feels like I am moving in slow motion while I hear Oliver begging for this guy to stop. His voice slightly cracks.

I take the gun out of his hand. He easily lets go of the handguard and steps back. I hear Iva sobbing. My hand strokes away some tears of her cheek. I feel good. The cold disappears and the smell of wet concrete and the rotten apartment around us, along with it. Before I speak, I look through the open doors towards the staircase. The noise of all those steps change into a clumsy shamble. I cant really say what it is but the sound seems familiar. I look back at her. The words I speak to her appear to be in my mother tongue. She doesn’t tell me to be quiet. She doesn’t tell me to hide where I come from. She looks at me while I tell her it will be fine. I raise the gun in my hand, place it under my chin and pull the trigger.

mNvT6xZ.gif

____

Kurwa, the dream repeats since it happened. I wake up to the noise of this gun being fired. Like a shock going through my body. I don't know if she notices this. She seems to be in a deep sleep but it doesn’t seem to be relaxing either. The stitches sting. I don’t know how to place myself in a comfortable position, so I get up. The painkillers Eva gave me seem to do somewhat of a job, the rest is done by the left over vodka. I feel like walking around is the only thing that really helps at the moment. I feel like I spent the night with hookers and cocaine - like a truck hit me. I see the people around me. They stand together but seem to walk around on their own when it comes to their thoughts. Some minds get sore and overwhelmed with a situation like this. I don't exclude myself. I used to be good in calming things down. Every time I hear someone whisper I need to hold myself back to not lash out and scream at them.

Edited by Ron
  • Legend
4 minutes ago, Ron said:

I raise the gun in my hand, place it under my chin and pull the trigger.

mNvT6xZ.gif

You got me there!

I really want to read more! ❤️

• Legend

"Im here, no matter what"

I did think about his words a lot while we drove back. I heard his words over and over in my head. And he was right.

We are there for each other, no matter what. Not only the good and pretty parts but for all what would come, what we would have to face.

If I had only known that we drove right into something that was proving his words to be true...

We made one last stop before we drove across the border. Driving through all those empty and destroyed towns was depressing. 

It was the last town before the border when we drove into a large number of those sick people.  

Once they heard the engine of the car, they started to walk and to run towards us. I stopped the vehicle right in front of what looked like a supermarket. I cannot tell you what I thought at this moment, but I remember that I was unable to move till Yakov spoke to me in a firm but calm way.

I don't know how many sick ones were one the street but it was clear that we could not pass. 

It was Yakov who pointed out a group of people next to the supermarket, maybe three or four. They saw us and one of them started to scream. They begged us for help while they ran towards the entrance of the store, trying to block the door. That one guy's voice is stuck in my head... I can still hear the pain and fear in his voice.

Once the guy started to scream the sick ones turned away from us, towards the people in the building. I don't know exactly anymore what Yakov has said, but I remember that he was counting down from 3 to 1 and that I started to drive full speed around the group of moving sick ones, leaving these poor people behind.

We both did not say anything for a while till I was able to stop the car on the side of a road.

I opened my door and threw up onto the ground, straight away. Multiple times.

We did leave these poor people behind and we knew that they were about to die. We have blood on our hands. We did not help. Maybe, if we helped them... maybe they would have made it out to a safe place...maybe,  if we stopped, they would have had a chance... maybe.

Thinking and writing about it makes me feel sick again. It's hard for me to accept that I was able to be so cruel.

Yakov took over the car and we drove for a while again, quietly.

It was him again who told me the right thing at the right time.

"We cannot care for everyone around us anymore. If it is us or them… it will always be us first"

Us first. It will always be us first.

As harsh as it sounds, he is right. See what this world has turned us and everyone else into?

See how this world changed us? Everyone wants to survive and we do unbelievable things to achieve that.

It was just a day later that would prove this fact once more.

After another sleepless night in the car, we made our final way into Chernarus.

It was a long straight road leading up to a bridge. The end of the bridge was blocked. Two cars to the left and the right. People behind the cars with raised guns. Their intention was clear as day.

Us or them?

Us first.

So Yakov pushed me down the passenger seat and told me to stay there. He hit the gas pedal and drove straight towards them, through a little gap between those two cars, right towards the people. Bullets flying left and right and a bloody body flew across the windscreen after Yakov had hit him. 

He drove fast and did not stop. The windscreen was cracked but we were still able to drive away and we did not get hurt.

We checked multiple times if someone was following but no one was to see. We drove for another hour till we found a place to get some rest. Yakov looked at the car and it was clear that we were not able to use it for long anymore. We agreed to just take the things we needed and went on by foot. It was also much more safe like this, he said.

Us first. They or us. Always us.

While I still felt bad about the people that we left to die at the store, I did feel some sort of satisfaction about the people on the road. We got at least one of them who wanted to harm us. Hopefully that was a lesson for them.

That night it was me who could not find any sleep.

The next few days we walked through the woods, along roads, from town to town, trying to find supplies and maybe a place to stay for a while. Sometimes we saw people but we did not approach.

From time to time I tried to get in contact with Lance but it was difficult to reach him. Yakov knew how sad I was about not having Lance around. We talked daily about him and the people from the school, if they did alright, if all of them were okay and alive.

It was weeks later that I realised myself that it was me trying to stay in contact with Lance. And me only. 

Not once did Lance try to get in contact with me, us. And when I told Yakov about that, he said that he did not want to upset me, that he wanted me to realise that myself. 

He said that he was sure Lance was thinking about me but that his job would always come first... before everyone else. 

Every patient would be more important to him than his actual friends. I don't believe that this is the truth, but it also makes sense.

Why else would he not try to get in contact with me more? 

There is only one other reason I could think of and that is something I cannot accept as it would break my heart. 

I refuse to live in fear. I choose faith instead.

I am sure he is still alive.

Edited by Terra
  • Legend

I absolutely LOVE this! It’s nice to see Iva’s opinion and a bit of backstory on her. Also seeing what’s going on in Yakov’s head is...interesting! I love it all! ❤️