Server time (UTC): 2021-08-04 22:40

Every 4th Night Darkest Night

Every 4th Night Darkest Night  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now I think atm day and night cycles barely make a difference to Rp, and with how the DayZ game is built, I feel like we could really push for nights t have a ctual impact on RP. Now I understand if every night was default DayZ settings, it would hinder RP, but if we could somehow configure maybe every 4th (or another number) night to be very dark or pitch black, it could create really interesting scenarios and actually create fantastic settings. 

Let me know what you think and if its possible.

• MVP

we'd have to restart the server manually so it's not really feasible rn

• Emerald

+1

I actually quite like this idea, i dunno about it being as dark as possible, but i think darker than usual would be cool.

I like the idea of a dark night system. 

image.png.71663c8eba5364158931eac65be09639.png

• MVP

Your solution doesn't really work since the darkness is controlled by a single value that updates on restart.

It's either pitch black darkness, which I would prefer, or completely bright even at night.

1 hour ago, groovy ducky said:

Your solution doesn't really work since the darkness is controlled by a single value that updates on restart.

It's either pitch black darkness, which I would prefer, or completely bright even at night.

Thought this might be the case, was hoping for some coding wonderworks, but alas my dreams have been shattered. Admins feel free to close this thread if it isn't viable.

(was secretly just hoping for chaotic cultist attacks in pitch blackness.)

I voted yes, but only if there is a way for it to be automatic and not made manually every restart.

• MVP

I'd prefer all nights to be much darker

• Diamond

I believe the previous rationale for not having dark nights was that nobody wants to watch a stream that's just black. Buuut, last I checked we don't have too many streamers these days. Darker nights would be a big +1 from me. It makes the game so much scarier, you get this whole clinging together for safety thing. I'd love to snatch people and bring them out into the dark.

As many have previously stated there is no way for this due to it being a single value, That being said i would indeed enjoy darker nights 100% of the time. it would add a feeling of realism that i feel is currently missing.

I am 100% behind a decision to make nights darker. Currently, I understand why nights are lighter, however, this removes the danger of traveling in the dark, something that is really needed. 

+1 for PERMANENT darker nights, rather than a few. Let's make those flashlights/chemlights/flares/torches/NVG's actually have a tangible use for travelling when the sun goes down! 

• Emerald
9 hours ago, Whitename said:

we'd have to restart the server manually so it's not really feasible rn

Task scheduler/powershell scripts would solve the 'manual' aspect. I could be wrong, but I have worked in IT for a retail chain, and pretty much anything that anyone thought was manual can be automated. I do not have any dayz server experience though, so unless it is not running on any type of windows machine, virtual or not, I would think it is possible. However, I do expect to be wrong here as I have loosely followed your work, and you seem to definitely know your shit(not being sarcastic).

I am absolutely for the idea of darker nights permanently and not just occasionally.

It would definitely increase tension and give people an incentive to use their glowsticks, flashlights, flares and so on and give a sense of dread to those who do not want to be seen at night and have to sacrifice stealth for navigation.

It would also give a great incentive for people to ambush eachother in the dark of night and pull some fun cloak and daggers maneuvers which I definitely would love to see more of.

+1 from me for permanent darker nights.

• Diamond

Since it appears we can't make every other night dark, I would be on board for nights to be a tad bit darker overall. 

• Titanium

+1

• Owner

It's an interesting idea to have dark nights every now and then, perhaps on some kind of schedule. It can be easily automated server side. I will look into it.

• Titanium
On 2/20/2021 at 4:25 AM, Roland said:

It's an interesting idea to have dark nights every now and then, perhaps on some kind of schedule. It can be easily automated server side. I will look into it.

It would be very interesting, could even be added and used in lore to provide some more interesting Hostile RP for a new group. Such as, they only attack on the Darkest night or some shit, then come in like SEALs with nods and flippers.