Server time (UTC): 2023-06-05 13:23

Character map locking.

Bear

Should characters be force locked to a map?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Sapphire

Hello community,

This is my first time writing something like this, So please bare with me and if i've done anything wrong i'll try my best to fix it!

So basically what i am asking, And the point i am raising is that i do not believe this new lore / ruling that has been introduced lately should be enforced, and should be removed.

Currently the world is in a bit of a mess (Hopefully getting better) And a lot of us, Myself included have been forced to spend more time at home, And try to keep ourselves busy.

That is where Dayzrp comes into it, For me i've been playing heavily whilst i've been forced off work, And to be honest it's been great fun.

What ISNT fun is when your group, and others (shout out to kings ridge, section 20, and the rangers) are desperately trying to keep a server alive (Livonia) but in general the server is dead.

This game, the community is all about having fun. We at the cartel, and some others wanted to move over to Chernarus as our storylines and rp had come to a standstill on Livonia and we wanted to try start our 'expansion' over in Chernarus.

There was a conversation with the admins, we put in all the effort required of us, updated everything we needed to and were planning on creating a pre-fab and had storylines already on the go, so to be forced back into Livonia, Which most of us just aren't going to play now just seems.. harsh, with respect.

Blocking people moving is not encouraging rp, It's the opposite, You are stopping people being able to enjoy the game in a time of crisis, you are stopping people who have put hours into their characters being able to enjoy and advance their rp, In a time that's genuinely messy.

In my opinion it would be best to either just bring the cool down back, Or remove the rule completely.

Sorry if i have formulated this badly, I am not the best at this kind of thing, And i find the situation very frustrating. 

• Emerald

I think it should be more focused towards people enjoying their time and playing where they want, instead of realism. I just heard my character is being yeeted back to Livonia. Which means i can only play on a basically dead server unless i decide to make a new character. I think roland mentioned this was a temporary measure until they have figured out a solution. Maybe just keep it open until that solution is here, instead of introducing this half assed fix.

• Sapphire

Hi there, 

I wanna start saying that this subforum is the incorrect one to post suggestions, any suggestions with poll based answers must be redirected to the Suggestions forums. 

As well as to follow the correct suggestions guidelines. 

• Sapphire

Is there any way for a thread to be moved from community discussion to the suggestions thread?

I apologise for the inconvenience. 

• Diamond

One, I don't think the IRL "Crisis" we are all experiencing right now is really worth putting into this topic. This topic is something that affects the entire community regardless of what's going on IRL. I just see that the crisis is often being put in to defend something when I often don't really see why to be completely honest.

However on the topic itself, I support the idea of having an cooldown on character transfers between the maps, I don't mind if it's a 7 day cooldown or a 1 month cooldown. However I do think a cooldown would be best. If I recall right, (correct me if I'm wrong) Roland did say that they were planning on introducing an cooldown system in the future.
Why they then added the restriction before implementing the cooldown is something I don't get. If you're planning on introducing an cooldown system, wait until implementing the restriction before the cooldown system is in place. Instead of having all characters temporarily stuck somewhere. 

Agree with what @HuskyBB said. (Shocking, right) 

10 minutes ago, HuskyBB said:

I think roland mentioned this was a temporary measure until they have figured out a solution. Maybe just keep it open until that solution is here, instead of introducing this half assed fix.

• Sapphire
1 minute ago, KorhaBB said:

One, I don't think the IRL "Crisis" we are all experiencing right now is really worth putting into this topic. This topic is something that affects the entire community regardless of what's going on IRL. I just see that the crisis is often being put in to defend something when I often don't really see why to be completely honest.

However on the topic itself, I support the idea of having an cooldown on character transfers between the maps, I don't mind if it's a 7 day cooldown or a 1 month cooldown. However I do think a cooldown would be best. If I recall right, (correct me if I'm wrong) Roland did say that they were planning on introducing an cooldown system in the future.
Why they then added the restriction before implementing the cooldown is something I don't get. If you're planning on introducing an cooldown system, wait until implementing the restriction before the cooldown system is in place. Instead of having all characters temporarily stuck somewhere. 

Agree with what @HuskyBB said. (Shocking, right) 

I respect your opinion, But i disagree with it, The crisis is something that clearly affects a lot of people, People who have not a lot to do because of it, I think it absolutely should be taken into account whilst it's on-going. 

But i appreciate your view point none the less!

• Sapphire

Myself here I have been away for 2 months or longer and for my character's story it is always been Chernarus and the short time I played in Livonia on my main and then switched to another for a group that would of made sense.

I agree with everything Fae is saying your punishing the community by this lock and now we all have to stop whatever stories that are on going and play on a very boring map that no one enjoys. It is really going to effect how everyone wants to play and personally myself I have just lost the motivation because what's the point in playing a server when there is sod all to do and no stories. It doesn't make sense for character's that have been on Chernarus since that started to get put back somewhere they don't belong as there story didn't start there it started somewhere else.

I would like the cooldown period or just remove it. Save the hassle honestly.  

Edit: Also what is the point in putting people on a server that is dead the map no one wants to play on so in my eyes and everyone else's your sending them there just to be forgotten and to die off cuss no one will play there. Let Livonia die and let the community enjoy what they are doing now. 

Edited by G_DateLR
  • Legend

/Moved to Suggestions.

One thing to note on this is that there is nothing wrong with making a new character for Chernarus if that is truly the map you want to play on. Just because the character is new doesn't mean it has to be a throwaway, there is more fun with creating new story lines and having a change of pace IC with a fresh start. I do understand the frustration with having to get moved back, and not being able to continue a current character story line but if anything the silver lining is that with all the people getting moved back to Livonia the server will have more people there to RP with. 

• Legend
2 minutes ago, Jade said:

/Moved to Suggestions.

One thing to note on this is that there is nothing wrong with making a new character for Chernarus if that is truly the map you want to play on. Just because the character is new doesn't mean it has to be a throwaway, there is more fun with creating new story lines and having a change of pace IC with a fresh start. I do understand the frustration with having to get moved back, and not being able to continue a current character story line but if anything the silver lining is that with all the people getting moved back to Livonia the server will have more people there to RP with. 

People aren't going to play on Livonia, they're going to make new characters for Chernarus, and you're basically forcing them to start again? Cutting all ties, all friends, all stories, for what?

• Sapphire

The thing is that I don't think many staff are understanding this there will be no point in playing another character. They are putting hours into the character's they are using now and they get moved back somewhere where still in the end of the day no one will play. Livonia was fun at the start because it was new but now people have played it and got use to it its now boring and stale and want to carry on with there main story lines in Chernarus.

There is a lot to be annoyed about if im honest because what's the point in not carrying on with the character your playing and is your main can no longer carry on his or her story line in say Chernarus because this will be a massive impact on a lot of character's  

Edited by G_DateLR
  • Sapphire
4 minutes ago, Jade said:

/Moved to Suggestions.

Okay so for me personally.. i have absolutely zero interest in creating another character, I have two characters i play, one of which i have nearly 500 hours worth of storylines and character interactions with... If i made a Chernarus character it would be at best a throwaway, and i think others would be the same. That does not promote rp, it actually makes rp for the server worse.

People won't play Livonia if they're forced, they will stop playing completely.

• Diamond

The character lock doesn't bring any value to the server in my opinion, especially without the cooldown. We had roleplay reason to travel between servers, and others did as well. We've formed a group of people reunited in Chernarus, bringing enemies together as friends. If this doesn't kill the entire roleplay we've been having, I don't know what will.

• Diamond

I have spent a lot of hours creating the entire soundboard for my character, developed a story, goals, friendships and enemies. 
I personally don't have an issue with creating new characters, however here's the deal. If I get executed or similar through RP, having the character done stuff that lead to their death then that would be a fitting way to end the character and make a new one.

What I am not agreeing with, is ending an entire character story and everything they have done because of some out of game, forum nonsense. 

If the character didn't do anything wrong, (at least nothing too serious that would lead to their permanent death) then let them go on. If Livonia is dead because people wanna play Chernarus, let them. But don't make them stop using, or kill their character because -insert new forum rule/system here-

The server lock felt a bit rushed in my opinion - without a decent system making it possible for character to actually travel between maps with some cooldown or risk. It's shame that people that want to play Chernarus need to create a new character to do so. Sure, we had an option to pick the server but it was "right on the spot". If a week/two weeks after implementation of this system people would like to move maps, they still should be able to do so - call it settling down with new rules.

People like their characters and they would like to continue their stories on more active server - I understand and respect that, because at least for me it takes time and effort to create a character that's just "right". If the solution for this is creating a new one, that will just be a copy the of the old one with shortcuts like "Let's assume we just now eachother with our new chars to avoid all the hi/hellos", it's a "swing and a miss" solution to begin with.

That being said I'm a dedicated Livonia player, so the change/chaos doesn't affect me that much - I guess it's an unbiased opinion.

Edited by DerrickStorm
  • Legend

I believe a travel cooldown is intended in the future,

However I am against people being able to travel between the maps personally until then. I am of the opinion once you choose a map, that's where your character stays. That being said, people should be given a window of about a week to choose what region they wish to move towards, given time to acknowledge the warning of the locking happen and be able to choose. Once you've chosen that choice is on you. 

IMO it's a good middle ground for immersion and fairness.

• El Presidente

It was the community itself that requested the server lock to be implemented, because characters and groups switched between the maps seemingly instantly (helicopters?). Now some other people are against this change. As you can see, it's incredibly difficult to satisfy everyone.

The no cooldown thing is intentional, it was supposed to create stories and new RP because of the split between and isolation of the two countries. People from both sides were supposed to work towards solving the transport and communication between the countries, at which point the option to switch with cooldown would open.

As you can see, this was a quite elaborate IC solution to an OOC reported problem of server jumping. I obviously didn't know that Chernarus population would grow so rapidly in the way it did, which I agree is unfortunate for those in Livonian groups. However I'm pretty sure they knew and accepted the fact that playing in a Livonian group, with Livonian characters and goals all related to Livonia wouldn't be able to just get up and move to Chernarus at moments notice because server pop happens to be higher there now. Just as I wouldn't expect for example S-GRU or Kawaiici to move to Livonia and pretend like they had some random things to do there if the opposite happened.

Community was also given a 2 month headsup in the announcement section and nobody seemed to mind. Therefore I don't think it's not reasonable to switch Livonian native groups or characters for the simple reason of "more people play there" as it makes no IC sense in most cases.

I'd like to jump on the bandwagon opposing map locking and add an RP argument to the mix.

I completely understand completely understand the sentiment that groups should not be able to fully operate on both servers which I thought was addressed with the cool down period, but I don't understand how locking characters to a specific region makes any sense from a community standpoint. Scrolling through the character index, most characters people have created are not native to Chenarus or Livonia and people craft extremely intricate stories for how their individual character has struggled to survive and eventually travel to Livonia/Chenarus. With such backstories detailing travels, personal resilience, and adaptability, don't understand why the rules of the server would then limit the progress of these story lines to living and dying in a final region. If a character can travel halfway across the world to seek refuge, then he/she can certainly travel across a relatively small region to find themselves in either server.

In discord discussions, I have always supported the sentiment that I want to play on the server with the highest population, with my character who has established amazing relationships with other characters. These numbers fluctuate and knowing that I cannot freely move this character from one of those servers and requiring me to make a new character removes interest for playing. Worse, I would argue it encourages ruleplay as players will create new characters with their groups as a  formality and resume their relationships as if they were on the same character. 

The current region locking is just going to drive long term stories and players off the server more than it will build them, and with populations already so low, this is a time to listen to the community before making these decisions rather than administering them and gauging reaction.

• Legend
1 minute ago, Roland said:

It was the community itself that requested the server lock to be implemented, because characters and groups switched between the maps seemingly instantly (helicopters?). Now some other people are against this change. As you can see, it's incredibly difficult to satisfy everyone.

The no cooldown thing is intentional, it was supposed to create stories and new RP because of the split between and isolation of the two countries. People from both sides were supposed to work towards solving the transport and communication between the countries, at which point the option to switch with cooldown would open.

As you can see, this was a quite elaborate IC solution to an OOC reported problem of server jumping. I obviously didn't know that Chernarus population would grow so rapidly in the way it did, which I agree is unfortunate for those in Livonian groups. However I'm pretty sure they knew and accepted the fact that playing in a Livonian group, with Livonian characters and goals all related to Livonia wouldn't be able to just get up and move to Chernarus at moments notice because server pop happens to be higher there now. Just as I wouldn't expect for example S-GRU or Kawaiici to move to Livonia and pretend like they had some random things to do there if the opposite happened.

Community was also given a 2 month headsup in the announcement section and nobody seemed to mind. Therefore I don't think it's not reasonable to switch Livonian native groups or characters for the simple reason of "more people play there" as it makes no IC sense in most cases.

Whilst you did give a warning, your warning was "It may get locked at some point in the future, but can be freely changed for now." This is not ample warning and leaves people in a very distasteful position. A few days, a weeks warning of "this will be implemented in x amount of time" is much more fair to the players, after all we are here to enjoy ourselves and being locked away from where the "fun" is doesn't feel good.

I agree with the region locking, like i said above, I just think people should be given a time window to make their choice. It's a good compromise for both, especially being as you used to allow people to freely travel.

• MVP

I think it was ill-advised to just lock it without warning (by this I mean an actual time it would happen and advance notice of that time), but also having characters travel 1200km back and forth between Livonia and Chernarus also doesn't make a lot of sense. I think a one-way, never ever going back transfer should be put in place in order to allow those caught off-guard by the lock to play their character where they want to play it. But for newly created characters they should just exist on the region they choose. It's a little too unrealistic in my opinion to allow travel between the two regions at will. 

Edited by Whitename
  • Sapphire
2 minutes ago, Roland said:

So why can't we give people a final choice? Like.. our group, and kings ridge and Section 20 tried to keep the server alive, we really did.. but it just wasn't working, all we want is to rp and create things.

We spoke to the admins and they agreed to let us move.. so we did, And we started doing what we intended which was creating rp, We did this for days.. and then to be forced back after already setting it up feels like such a waste of time, we lost everything we set up on Livonia, and now on Chernarus too.

I understand how incredibly hard it is to balance this out, But it just feels completely wrong that this is how it's being handled.

I think the cool down is honestly the best option, Or even if a group has to have good IC reasons for moving, and it has to be approved by a staff team.

But to have something approved and then taken away, not instantly but days later feels incredibly unfair.

• Legend
12 minutes ago, Fae said:

-snip-

What's wrong with taking a break from your main character and playing as a new one who is more than capable of creating new stories and making new friends with old ones? People do it all the time anyways so they can play with their friends again?  

10 minutes ago, ScouseViking said:

-snip-

Which is understandable, and why it's ok to be upset with the changes. I left my own character in Liv and have started playing an old one because it makes no sense for my main to come back over, I've put many hours and story lines into that character and it's sad to leave her behind when the pop dies on Livonia. In my own experience making an alt character isn't the end of the world though, you get to bring a fresh view to RP and quite possibly have a better time, don't know until you try. Patience and understanding is needed in this situation.

• Sapphire

I could be wrong, but was anyone actively complaining about having a timer? That seemed the most realistic option as it was.. Even if that timer was a week.

Now my problem with making an alt to play on the map I want to play on DOES NOT apply. Personally I have never played DayZ on Chernarus outside of the hours I have now and a few on another server which was used as a prep for this server. The RP is gone on Livonia.. An incredible amount of RP was now possible with a full server new locations and new groups.... Or old groups forming into new groups to Yeet people back isn't going to change anything at this point. 

Like Riz said we all came here with an RP reason as were the terms. Spent some time updating a group page even under the risk of being archived while it wasn't updated. Which was absolutely fair.

1 hour ago, Fae said:

Its going to ruin storylines for my group, who are a mixture of various characters from different groups that have known each other a long time. All this will do is force people to make throwaway Chernarus characters, which is honestly some bullshit and makes absolutely no sense. Just let people play wherever they want and let Livonia die, please.

Okay this too, We have had interactions with said group some hostile already when we are all the people on Livonia that might be strange to act out. Or have I lost memory for a week or more? Massive RP killer on a serious RP server. SO many developing things are being tossed somewhere and no one knows where to chase them.. Storylines not involving dropping a backpack on the ground or avoiding people.  

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

There are certainly groups who started in Chernarus moved to Livonia and it should make sense for them to be able to go back. ie possible old settlements, stashes, cook labs, hidden meeting spots. Based on most the responses across the board most people are against it and didn't actually know 2 months at least before the end date.. Our personal goal was to stay and really try to make it work. 

We tried to save the map, and when 2 groups making up 95% of the server pop being forced to move within 1200m of each other so they could chat it up doesn't work what will? Not this sadly. 
Motivation has been ripped from people who were getting really very excited to play again, or play more and that is disheartening.

The only thing this promotes at this point is most the same people are going to create baseless alts, to stay involved in the stuff they helped create on the opposite server. Which I understand that position and would probably do the same if it was possible for my character to do that. 

Edited by IvarTheNarrator
added to bottom
  • Emerald

I like it and i dislike it.

I like the fact travelling is shut down cause it completely negates piss takers, to which there are a plenty. I like that it forces you to make a real choice with consequences which adds a permanent mark. Permanent being a pretty non existent concept in this community. I like that it will promote people to make new characters which has the potential to form new narratives, not that this is needed imo. But potential is always good.

I dont like that it came outta nowhere, i dont like that I went from knowing there is a 12h cooldown to "boom" I'm land locked to Livonia now with no hope of ever leaving. I would of liked a notification that this change was going to occur ahead of time. Maybe there was one that i missed? Regardless i didn't know about it until it had already been implemented.

A simple solution to this, that would in turn promote narratives and story lines would be to allow Loremasters to narratively move characters from map to map via IG roleplaying. Instead of making it some OOC tickbox on a chara page, make it so people have to put in some actual effort. Having to track down a LM character and present the case to them, which the LM could then decide what hoops they want them to jump through first before giving them the plane ticket. The most important thing this would achieve for me is somewhat forcing people to RP outside of their friend circle in order to track down such elusive characters.

Edited by Wulf
  • Emerald
1 minute ago, Jade said:

What's wrong with taking a break from your main character and playing as a new one who is more than capable of creating new stories and making new friends with old ones? People do it all the time anyways so they can play with their friends again?  

Which is understandable, and why it's ok to be upset with the changes. I left my own character in Liv and have started playing an old one because it makes no sense for my main to come back over, I've put many hours and story lines into that character and it's sad to leave her behind when the pop dies on Livonia. In my own experience making an alt character isn't the end of the world though, you get to bring a fresh view to RP and quite possibly have a better time, don't know until you try. Patience and understanding is needed in this situation.

Making a new character could be fun and refreshing ofcourse, but basically being forced to do it is something that I think makes a lot of people upset and takes away their motivation to even log on to begin with.