Server time (UTC): 2020-02-21, 11:51 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
MrsSunshine

Refusing to RP with characters

If it is in character then try to RP your way out it. Dont state in OOC that you dont like the character. This will ruin the other part that is trying to roleplay. The RP is endless and so much can happen. If you make the best out of the bad situations you will eventually enjoy all sorts of RP. Not everything is your type but still. So many ways to go. But always answer in RP, even if there is a rulebreak in the RP. This can be fixed later OOC with an admin.

But if you get mad, sad or hold a grudge IRL for something someone did in character then RP is not really your type of playing. We are all here playing characters and making our own story. You might not like someone else's story, but thats not up to you to judge. But if they are going towards you personally thru RP or BadRP happend multiple times, then I would consider reporting it. But give everyone a chance, not judge the book by its cover! With that being said, make the best out of everything!

Edited by Blakstad

I wonder, what would be the case if the person in question would've been harrased in game for a longer period of time to the point it no longer gives them the same joy the game used to, would it then still be dissallowed. Or should you fe: report? 

11 minutes ago, Marik said:

I wonder, what would be the case if the person in question would've been harrased in game for a longer period of time to the point it no longer gives them the same joy the game used to, would it then still be dissallowed. Or should you fe: report? 

https://www.dayzrp.com/rules/rule2.3

9 minutes ago, Marik said:

There is no case where you can just outright refuse to roleplay with someone at all. You can not treat them as invisible; Or I should say, if you DO treat them as invisible that is treated as if you are ICly doing it, so they will likely respond with hostilities that you can't ignore, or risk death.

However, if someones actions are impacting your ability to enjoy the game but their actions in and of themselves are not necessarily a rulebreak, that is something to approach the staff team about so we can advise you. There are 2.3 reports if someone is repeatedly subjecting you to hostile actions unilaterally without you doing anything really worth the amount of hostilities you are receiving. These are handled by the administration team through support tickets. Typically the only time someone is so harassed by a character they lose enjoyment of the game is around the subject of hostilities. 

2.3 reports should only be used after all good faith IC efforts have been made and failed, and an OOC dialogue was attempted and turned out to be either rebuffed or fruitless. 

23 minutes ago, Burak said:

i totally agree with you, some people have some prejudices(prejudgment) and it blocks them to  understand what beneath the thema.Sad to see this.

Has nothing to do with prejudgment since the OP literally stated it was the player that she had the problem with.

2 hours ago, MrsSunshine said:

there are just people I want to avoid roleplaying with.

OP revised the statement later to say something else.

2 hours ago, MrsSunshine said:

Oh, apologies. Let me reword it for you. I would like to know if I can avoid IC RP with certain characters or if I am required to continue all IC RP even if I dislike the character. NOT THE PERSON OOC.

It is not absurd to not read the entire thread before commenting and to miss that the meaning of the original post as it was written was changed in a comment later. Therefore, your judgements towards those that interpreted it as such are illogical.

Edited by Oryx

If you don't want to RP with someone, make an excuse to leave the area. If not, then you don't really have a choice. It's an RP server, so you RP. This isn't a safe space.

Think of it in this way to help your mentality out: 

Roleplay out your character like it was real life. You don't like someone, find a reason to walk away. 

But other than that, this is a roleplay server. You can't just avoid them because you don't like them OOCly or because you're salty of what they have done ICly.

IC is IC.

OOC is OOC.

You can't just avoid roleplay. Some people go to the extreme where they just log off which is a rulebreak. Others just pretend they cannot hear you which is also a rulebreak unless of course your character is deaf and makes actual sense to not acknowledging people. 

Can I refuse to RP with characters in game by typing //ooc or am I forced to RP with anyone who wants to RP?

// is for emergency purposes or progressing. You cannot go //I don't want to roleplay with you. As it seems childish.

I never said I didn't want to Roleplay, there are just people I want to avoid roleplaying with.

Hide on the map? Go to another country? Make a new character? 

I would like to know if I can avoid IC RP with certain characters or if I am required to continue all IC RP even if I dislike the character. NOT THE PERSON OOC.

You can avoid people still by giving roleplay. It's a case by case scenario. You can freely whisper and walk away. But if they attempt to roleplay with you, you simply cannot ignore it and just log or whatever. If you're a hostage and you don't respond via VOIP or emotes and they demand you to talk, can be classed as BadRP / NVFL. Again, it's a case by case basis. 

If none of these solutions help, perhaps this isn't the server for you.

41 minutes ago, Marik said:

If somebody or a group of individuals is attacking you so relentlessly you can't really find enjoyment at all, AND cannot actually follow any RP Goals (this goes for groups and individuals), you can try to report for 2.3 or provide feedback onto group pages. Admins will look into it accordingly. It is best you take several recordings to show proof that certain individuals are unnecessarily targeting you. @Rover put it best. This shouldn't be your first action taken. 

Taking action before that, all you have to keep in mind is that you're not forced to have lengthy RP with somebody you dislike. Acknowledgement of them is one thing, but as long as it makes sense IC you'll be fine. As others have said, try to leave the area and give as much communication as is needed. 

My character left a group she cared deeply for due to her disagreements with one other member's actions and attitudes. OOCly no bad blood, but I will say that the other party's IC decisions did begin to wear on me OOC, so I understand where you're coming from, as it was truly beginning to ruin my experience in that situation, because, on my end, even OOC I couldn't really make sense of why they acted the way that they did. 

So, I got out by finding a reason to push my character to the edge of her wits. The other party made it very easy for me, as his character did things that my character simply wouldn't be able to excuse or forget. I used the tension in game as a building tool until the IC relationship naturally devolved and snapped. It was unpleasant to role play out that level of confrontation, not to mention exhausting, but I will say, now that I am on the other end of it, it gave my character even more depth. It's been fun to try to figure out where to go from here. Unexpected results are the best part of role play.

I hope you find a way to work it out and make it a part of your story! 

Yeah i was wondering the same because there are people like @AndreyQ and @Kordruga that ruin my immersion because their roleplay is too good. 

But yes how is this even a discussion and why would you take who someone is OOC to avoid IC. This isn't a safe space where you pick and chose who you talk to and meet.

Staff /close this please the OP had his/her/their question answered

Edited by EndeavourRP

1 hour ago, Oryx said:

Has nothing to do with prejudgment since the OP literally stated it was the player that she had the problem with.

I did not say I had a problem with the player, I had to change the statement to make it more clear as to my intentions. 

Edited by MrsSunshine

26 minutes ago, EndeavourRP said:

Yeah i was wondering the same because there are people like @AndreyQ and @Kordruga that ruin my immersion because their roleplay is too good. 

But yes how is this even a discussion and why would you take who someone is OOC to avoid IC. This isn't a safe space where you pick and chose who you talk to and meet.

Staff /close this please the OP had his/her/their question answered

I've seen plenty of screenshots of people saying they'll refuse to RP with me. Good way around it is try to take them hostage and apply a simple formula or two.

Formula 1: Initiate hostilities + non-compliance = Free stuff
Formula 2: Initiate hostilities + compliance + obvious OOC salt = Free stuff + ability to laugh about them being salty
Formula 3 (my personal favourite): Initiate hostilities + compliance + obvious OOC salt to the point that they do not comply with my demands and get executed = Free stuff + ability to laugh about them being salty + report for the whole community to laugh at them

Refusal of RP doesn't just make you look bad but it makes big baddies like @AndreyQ want to shoot you 

This thread is Hella wild so as a contributive member of the forums, I put my own two cents. 

No. Don't deny rping with anyone. 

As someone mentioned, why are you even in an RP server if you wish to avoid someone engaging. 

I felt uncomfortable role-playing with people that were seconds from shooting my skull but I kept going, even people who act so awkward and refuse to talk to me, I roleplay it out like "Not talkative, it's oke, you can listen."

I hate the guy? Two choices, walk away or make sure he stays away. 

OOC? With reason. I use // in case I have to leave or I don't have enough time on my hands to continue. But you shouldn't deny anyone's RP. it defeats the purpose of the community. 

Live it out. Like it or not. Friend, Enemy, mercy or kill. But don't walk away because X is bad at rp I don't want to rp with. 

This is a RP server where there's a rule specifically against avoiding RP, so no, you can't refuse to RP with someone.

Through RP sure OOC no.

Just do what we all do and combat log.

just walk away lol

Unpopular and honest opinion:

There are people I dont like OOC (there can be many different reasons) and therefore I dont want to RP with them IC. Fact! So far, I cannot recall a situation the other way around (dont like the character ingame and therefore I dont want to roleplay with the character).

If I meet them ingame, I of course wont deny them roleplay but if I can, I just move away. And yes, that can end in an "Hi and bye".

And that is not against any rule.

Edited by Terra

Im the opposite to terras situation. I didnt really gel with a forum user ooc and by chance met them in game recently without realising. We had such a blast. Was really good fun. When i found out who they were ooc it totally changed my opinion and i truely respect them ooc now. 

Sometimes preconceptions are bad things and mean you miss out on some great fun

33 minutes ago, andysuter said:

Im the opposite to terras situation. I didnt really gel with a forum user ooc and by chance met them in game recently without realising. We had such a blast. Was really good fun. When i found out who they were ooc it totally changed my opinion and i truely respect them ooc now. 

Sometimes preconceptions are bad things and mean you miss out on some great fun

Oh yes, I had that too.

The people I dont really like to RP with are the ones I have on my ignore list on the Forum and/or had previous roleplay with which I did not enjoy and therefore refuse to waste my time on when ingame.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Terra

7 minutes ago, Terra said:

Oh yes, I had that too.

The people I dont really like to RP with are the ones I have on my ignore list on the Forum and/or had previous roleplay with which I did not enjoy and therefore refuse to waste my time on when ingame.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please don’t take this the wrong way coz you know I think highly of you not only as ex staff but someone who I *think* is a friend, but don’t you think people may improve there rp or may change and could bring something good to your story or others rather then writing them off all together from a few bad experiences? 

1 minute ago, neom said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way coz you know I think highly of you not only as ex staff but someone who I *think* is a friend, but don’t you think people may improve there rp or may change and could bring something good to your story or others rather then writing them off all together from a few bad experiences? 

I dont take this the wrong way Neom ❤️

That could very well be and yet I dont want to spend my time "hoping" that the Rp might have improved to my liking. And just because I did not like their RP, does not mean the RP was bad or others wont enjoy it. It is obviously my problem and not their's, you know what I mean? It is solely my choice who I want to roleplay with ingame and as I wrote, I wont deny them roleplay but most likely will just leave (if I can that is 😉). Maybe I miss out on good RP, maybe I dont but the choice is mine aswell as deciding on how I want to spend my time ingame.

18 hours ago, Ryan Shepherd said:

You need to learn the difference between OOC and IC.

Allowing your OOC feelings towards someone to influence you IC is actually a rulebreak.

Let's be honest lad, back in the day when we were hardcore RPers we avoided some people too.

Now that we are Pv.. hostile RPers we are the ones people avoid. 

james franco wink GIF

10 minutes ago, Terra said:

I dont take this the wrong way Neom ❤️

That could very well be and yet I dont want to spend my time "hoping" that the Rp might have improved to my liking. And just because I did not like their RP, does not mean the RP was bad or others wont enjoy it. It is obviously my problem and not their's, you know what I mean? It is solely my choice who I want to roleplay with ingame and as I wrote, I wont deny them roleplay but most likely will just leave (if I can that is 😉). Maybe I miss out on good RP, maybe I dont but the choice is mine aswell as deciding on how I want to spend my time ingame.

Nah I get what you mean, very much the same mindset 🙂 thank you 

I give everyone a chance to RP with me. Even if I know who they are from OOC information. The only time I ran from a potential RP was when I saw a group holding people up. I looked at my clock and saw I had 30 min until I had to get ready for work, so I made sure they didnt see me, snuck away and waited about 5 min to make sure they didnt see me. Then logged out. I understand where people are coming from, especially if its someone you know will give you drama OOC but personally, I RP with people I dont like because I wouldnt want them to avoid me. Treat people you want to be treated. But thats me. And if the RP was fun and memorable, I like to reach out to them and give them props. Even if i dont like them. Give credit where credit is due.