SoWeMeetAgain

3d off on RP 1

should 3d be turned off on RP 1  

144 members have voted

1. 1. should 3d be turned off on RP 1

• Yes, turn off third person.
    • No, Leave third person on

Zoarial    0

I would suggest everyone understand that its ok to vote, but this has already been voted on and it was decided 3rd person would be left on. If you do not like it then. Fine but you do not have to play in that view. If you leave it on everyone can be happy. Its not cheating you have the same ability you just chose not to use it.

More than 2/3 of the server voted to leave it on this. IMO its rude and a bad vote to have it is only going to serve to lead to more drama and problems i am of the opnion that this vote should not exist; but people have the right to voice their opion, that said if the language and the comments in this thread get out of hand i will end this vote.

Also note that i edited the poll to be more clear.

Heresiarch    0

It perplexes me why people think that hard-mode in Amra is realistic. It is like walking with a cut-out box on your head (limited unnatural FoV with no peripheral vision), one-eyed with no depth perception (because the screen is ultimately just 2D), and with numb hands (no reticles on screen means you have only the faitest idea where your gun is pointed). Not to mention that effects like cold or pain are simulated with screen shaking, but nothing simulates faster reflexes due to adrenalin surges, for instance.

It is hard for sure, but it's nothing but artificial difficulty.

Zoarial    0

you didnt make it "clearer", you made it stupid :(

Smart isn't offending people who like to play in third person.

Shuey    0

I vote for leaving it on. I've tried playing in 1st person and it just makes me nauseous...no thanks.

@heresiarch: so you're saying 1st person is still not realistic, okay.

but is it more realistic than being a ghost looking at the back of your head and around corners or over fences?

Guest sreolla   
Guest sreolla

Id rather it kept on, Im a 3rd person in all games from MMOs and FPSs. I personaly just hate 1st person unless its duke nukem or quake (originals lol)

but is it more realistic than being a ghost looking at the back of your head and around corners or over fences?

Yeh i think so, third person is more realistic then first person, you are so limited ingame that third person offers you a range more like in real life. In real life you can combine many senses to look at situations, in game you have this third person view to get a better understanding. Also as person in real life you feel your body and where it is in relation to other things, in game you have only the screen as visual and the speaker as audio, nothing even close to real life.

greetz

double.V

Guest OmaOhneBH   
Guest OmaOhneBH

Yeh i think so, third person is more realistic then first person...

Stopped reading here.

Guest M.Wrenn   
Guest M.Wrenn

Running with third person on saves me getting motion sickness, sorry.

Heresiarch    0

You really should try to read the whole post and understand what I mean.

Once again, situational awareness is more realistic in 3rd person than in first person, because in real life your FoV isn't limited by a 16:9 screen in front of you.

It would be even more realistic with a crosshair to compensate for the lack of feeling of where the gun is pointed, because IRL your brain does that for you.

It would also be more realistic with rangefinder, because IRL you have stereoscopic vision and, hence, depth perception.

So the things you call "realistic" are actually artificial limitations, which do not exist in real life.

You really should try to read the whole post and understand what I mean.

Once again, situational awareness is more realistic in 3rd person than in first person, because in real life your FoV isn't limited by a 16:9 screen in front of you.

It would be even more realistic with a crosshair to compensate for the lack of feeling of where the gun is pointed, because IRL your brain does that for you.

It would also be more realistic with rangefinder, because IRL you have stereoscopic vision and, hence, depth perception.

So the things you call "realistic" are actually artificial limitations, which do not exist in real life.

1) you can widen your FoV to have the same viewfield left/right as with 3d person, but WITHOUT the ability to look over/around stuff. how? look my first post

2) no, it would not be more realistic with a crosshair. Play Insurgency. DO IT NOW OR SHUT UP ABOUT THIS POINT!

3) you know exactly how far away stuff is by judging its height. Other than IRL the people in this game all have the exact same height, all trees of a single kind have the exact same hight etc pp

The human eyes are BAD for depth perception after a few hundred meters because they're just too little apart, that is why early analogue rangefinders were about 50cm wide.

So really, you are wrong on every point

Heresiarch    0

1) you can widen your FoV to have the same viewfield left/right as with 3d person, but WITHOUT the ability to look over/around stuff. how? look my first post

Simply changing FoV won't let you see the immediate surrounding of your character, unless you go ultrawide on three screens. Same cardboard box, but with a bit wider cut out.

2) no, it would not be more realistic with a crosshair. Play Insurgency. DO IT NOW OR SHUT UP ABOUT THIS POINT!

You should change your attitude. I never asked you what to play and neither you have the right to shut me up. If someone disagrees with you, it's not a good reason to get hysterical.

3) you know exactly how far away stuff is by judging its height. Other than IRL the people in this game all have the exact same height, all trees of a single kind have the exact same hight etc pp

The human eyes are BAD for depth perception after a few hundred meters because they're just too little apart, that is why early analogue rangefinders were about 50cm wide.

Take a glass, close your eyes, put it on the table, open just one of them and try to grab the glass with one hand. Height won't help you much. And we aren't talking about more than a few hundred meter, because you need optics to see anything at that distance clearly anyway.

But this has nothing to do with crosshairs. In real life I can shoot a human sized target 10-15 metres away with a pistol and hit it 95% of the time with ever looking through the iron sights. Good luck doing that in Arma with no crosshair. There is no sense of weapon weight or direction it is pointing to. That's what the crosshair is for.

make a video or you can't do it.

And I told you to play Insurgency, didn't I? It is even harder there because your weapon doesn't always point to the middle of the screen, but you can do PERFECT point-shooting there.

In Arma it's even easier, the weapon always points to the middle of the screen. I regularly kill Zs without looking over the iron sights.

about the glass thing - you're talking about something that is within just a few meters from you - the distance where your TWO eyes are best for judging distance, hence why you rely on it, hence why you're not used to do stuff without it. Tape one of your eyes shut for two weeks and see how much better you can pick up stuff with only one eye open.

Heresiarch    0

There are plenty of techniques for shooting without sights for both handguns and longarms. You can search the web if you care to learn about them.

When the target is standing in the open 20 feet away and aiming at you, you point and shoot instead of trying to align your sights perfecly.

about the glass thing - you're talking about something that is within just a few meters from you - the distance where your TWO eyes are best for judging distance, hence why you rely on it, hence why you're not used to do stuff without it. Tape one of your eyes shut for two weeks and see how much better you can pick up stuff with only one eye open.

I play DayZ an hour or two every now and then. Are you saying that I should play Arma for two weeks straight just to get used to the lack of depth perception? If not, then your point is not valid.

There are plenty of techniques for shooting without sights for both handguns and longarms. You can search the web if you care to learn about them.

When the target is standing in the open 20 feet away and aiming at you, you point and shoot instead of trying to align your sights perfecly.

So first it was "I can" now its "some people can with training"? you can train it in arma, so what's the problem?

I play DayZ an hour or two every now and then. Are you saying that I should play Arma for two weeks straight just to get used to the lack of depth perception? If not, then your point is not valid.

I was merely pointing out why YOUR argument is not valid, the one with "pick up the glass one handed", which was IRL, not in arma. Also I was, as I wrote explicitly, talking about the depth perception on a very small scale (few m), which is not relevant to arma. And as I wrote earlier, on larger scales the human eyes suck at depth perception anyways and "judging by size"(which is very reasonable in arma since, as i said, things of certain kinds have the exact same size) becomes more relevant

A whole nother argument for getting rid of 3d - while in 3d you don't see "pain-shakes", which are annoying to 1st person players ALL the time, giving even more unfair advantage.

Yes I know that when you switch to 1st you have them too (spelling it out for you guys, you know why), but still you run around spotting things without the shakes if you're hurt... we 1st person players have the shakes.

Heresiarch    0

So first it was "I can" now its "some people can with training"? you can train it in arma, so what's the problem?

Well, if you put it this way, then I am "some people with training".

In Arma however hard you train, you won't be able to identify the exact centre of the screen without making a shot first. If you can, then I'd like a recording of such a feat, please.

first "95% hits on a man sized target 10-15m" and now "exact center of the screen"?

and this is all a big red herring anyways.

fact is: you can change your FoV 1st person to see as much to your left and right as you can in 3d person, but WITHOUT the abusability of the second.

Also the pain shaking thingy I mentioned above.

Heresiarch    0

first "95% hits on a man sized target 10-15m" and now "exact center of the screen"?

Well, show me that you can execute accurate bodyshots without ironsights at 10 meters in Arma then.

fact is: you can change your FoV 1st person to see as much to your left and right as you can in 3d person, but WITHOUT the abusability of the second.

You can see AS MUCH at the same time, but not the SAME picture. You won't be seeing you immediate surrounding to the left and right in first person, because FOV is still limited by the width of the screen. In third person you will see your immediate surroundings, because you are looking from behind your character. Get the difference yet?

"Pain shacking thingy" still effects your aim in third person whether you shoot with ironsights or without them. As for the effect itself it's just as stupid and unrealistic as headbobbing while running.

Mateus    0

Well, show me that you can execute accurate bodyshots without ironsights at 10 meters in Arma then.

You can see AS MUCH at the same time, but not the SAME picture. You won't be seeing you immediate surrounding to the left and right in first person, because FOV is still limited by the width of the screen. In third person you will see your immediate surroundings, because you are looking from behind your character. Get the difference yet?

"Pain shacking thingy" still effects your aim in third person whether you shoot with ironsights or without them. As for the effect itself it's just as stupid and unrealistic as headbobbing while running.

untitle.JPG

heresiarch if you want you can change your FOV to 180 degrees if you so wish, its not the same picture, but you can see well 180 degrees, isnt that what you want? but its not abusable like 3d person

yes the pain thingy is unrealistic but thats the way this game is, and btw I actually like a LITTLE headbobbing

about the accurate bodyshots, I might actually do that, but "the shooting range" has 25m as minimum, just checked :(

@mateus you just want to look around corners :P

Mateus    0

No, I'm a terrible spotter...I bought the clothes, and I want to see where my money is. That's all

Heresiarch    0

If you suggest setting FOV to 180 degrees, you must have no clue how FOV works. My solution is far more simple. Play in first person, isn't that what you want?