Server time (UTC): 2020-08-09, 16:47
Sign in to follow this  
Diamond

Bring back the Server Map

I’m full of good ideas today. I remember we used to have a map back in like 2015-16 maybe that highlighted what groups controlled certain areas, I think we should bring that back because it was really cool to see controlled territory. 

I'm not too sure what this was entirely as I've been a member for ages, however I was too young back then so only started playing this year, But I read and saw people would have checkpoints etc across the map, this would be pretty cool, although I play a survivor who goes anywhere, what you propose would be good for immersion, making it so each portion of the map has it's own bit of life, now the problem is it entices major groups having control of places which is kinda eh .. in some ways. There are obviously negatives and positives. 

But this like I say would ensure each portion has it's own feeling too it, different groups in different areas, different areas ran the way that suits that group. Would be cool to see as atm it's either running into people very rarely or just seeing people at hotspots. This system would nicely make it so you have a chance to see people no matter where you go really. 

Why was it removed in the first place?

I don't know about this, just because a map like this would be used by others to avoid those areas, therefore metagaming.

32 minutes ago, Alan Woods said:

Why was it removed in the first place?

I don't know about this, just because a map like this would be used by others to avoid those areas, therefore metagaming.

I don’t really remember why it was removed but it was cool to see. It showed player made landmarks too like Gary cash house and shit 

Edited by Diamond

yeah the map was pretty cool bring it back

bring back map i agree

I hate that it was removed, yes please.

There's already too much metagaming going on around the map, people intertwining information gathered from other characters or HostileRP encounters in which they died, returning to a place or using said knowledge to go to another place their character should not have been aware of if they had died.

-1 from me.

It would be kinda nice in theory, but turn into a guide for metagaming.

7 minutes ago, Camo said:

There's already too much metagaming going on around the map, people intertwining information gathered from other characters or HostileRP encounters in which they died, returning to a place or using said knowledge to go to another place their character should not have been aware of if they had died.

-1 from me.

It would be kinda nice in theory, but turn into a guide for metagaming.

Yeah I second this, would be an easy guide to people who just joined the server to find bases to offline raid.

What ever happened to "find it out through RP"? That really cuts the RP middle-man in order to find settlements etc.

I think we should modify the map boards textures in game to display these changes instead.

Edited by Finn

Too much potential for metagaming, and too much work for staff to update to make it useful at all. Not needed whatsoever.

- PLAYER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST -

I miss that, it was cool to see the areas that were next to each other, you could imagine what conflicts were caused near the border territory and it was a cool way to visualize how powerful groups were.

i don’t believe that it was a requirement for groups to show their location on the map so if people are really scared of meta gaming just opt out 

52 minutes ago, Shroud said:

i don’t believe that it was a requirement for groups to show their location on the map so if people are really scared of meta gaming just opt out 

I*

Yea bring back the map, it was cool.

Edited by Squillium

10 hours ago, Diamond said:

I’m full of good ideas today. I remember we used to have a map back in like 2015-16 maybe that highlighted what groups controlled certain areas, I think we should bring that back because it was really cool to see controlled territory. 

The thing with the map if I remember correctly is that Lord Rolando used to be the only one that could update it, and getting that man to update it took a lot. Also, its kinda like meta, you just randomly have access to a map that shows you where every group has control and what they own? I think it was a cool concept but in all honesty ive found like 3-4 locations to what groups control what just today, and all I did was talk to people. I say no map!

I see this and raise bringing back the player list that showed who was online (character & member) - That was a great way for finding people after an amazing rp session when you weren't able to catch their name in game... and I miss it a lot 😞 

It's "horrible" in the sense that it could lead to meta influenced behavior.

It's good or fancy in the sense that it could indirectly serve as "promotional" or informational material, at the risk of the aforementioned meta factor.

Dunno, kinda indifferent.

I liked that map, it helped visualize what parts where controlled by who and in what area these groups were active in.

To avoid the base raid scare the area's can just be huge again to avoid preciese locations.

Altough i would say groups won't have to show it if they dont want to if they are afraid of meta.

Edited by Knightblast

On 12/14/2019 at 1:32 PM, Diamond said:

I don’t really remember why it was removed but it was cool to see. It showed player made landmarks too like Gary cash house and shit 

respect

honestly I've been thinking a lot about reprising his character recently