Server time (UTC): 2020-01-27, 17:07 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Trotsky

Lawful Evil and Roleplay

Bit of a random thread, but I wanted to address this as it's something I want to figure out for myself, so I want the input of others. 

I want to have a character who is Lawful Evil, as I find that alignment to be the most appealing and interesting to play, although it is often considered to be one of the hardest to try and enact. I know many people don't really consider alignments when making their characters, but it helps me structure my RP. What would be your advice as to how I could do a better job at playing a L.E. character? My real personality seeps into my OC a lot, making my characters quite goofy at times. I can see a potential in making a humorous L.E., but no actual way of doing it. 

Any advice, anyone?

A manipulating character where people cannot see it would be the best way. I think the easiest way of doing this is psychological mindplay. Other than that I would not know. Reverse psychology and all. 

From my experience as someone who roleplays a Lawful Evil character, think of it like this; what laws are they abiding by? Their own personal ones? Societal? Moreover, how does that affect the evil with which they get into? What makes them evil? Is it the things they do, or the things they have others do? How do they justify it, if they bother to? Be careful, as in my experience, those who try too hard to veer into Lawful Evil end up being (Stupid)Chaotic Evil by way of 'muh planz'.

28 minutes ago, Lady Tottington said:

Bit of a random thread, but I wanted to address this as it's something I want to figure out for myself, so I want the input of others. 

I want to have a character who is Lawful Evil, as I find that alignment to be the most appealing and interesting to play, although it is often considered to be one of the hardest to try and enact. I know many people don't really consider alignments when making their characters, but it helps me structure my RP. What would be your advice as to how I could do a better job at playing a L.E. character? My real personality seeps into my OC a lot, making my characters quite goofy at times. I can see a potential in making a humorous L.E., but no actual way of doing it. 

Any advice, anyone?

Depends how you are trying to define your alignment.

Is your alignment your characters perception of themself? How you, the controller, view their actions in light of the rules of the world? Or as the outside world will perceive him?

The phrase 'What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.' is something to consider. 🙂

What laws are your character following? Internal honor codes that only they know? If thats the case portraying them as lawful evil is irrelevant as only you know the laws, so other people may perceive you as just plain evil.

If you are following RL laws to the letter, I'm not sure how to bend those towards being evil in an apocalypse 😄

Mostly, this is going to boil down to you deciding how to play the character internally, and letting everyone else interpret how that comes across. 

This is what I play! I play a character named Brady, his 2016 time is the best time to explain this. Some friends and I played as crazy scientists who were trying to find the cure for the infected, and the only way would be to capture people and test them to see what was in their body that makes them turn into zombies. 

We would do crazy things like cutting peoples fingers off or feet and tried giving the best roleplay we could, that also came back to the fact that we were trying to help(in our eyes).  I dont believe this type of RP has been done in a while, but now that im playing again ill be trying to get it going again. If youre worried about being goofy, dont worry about it you can still be goofy and still play a character like this. If you go on my page you can see videos of what im talking about:), and I have had a lot of groups/characters like this so if your looking for ideas just send me a private message!

Edited by Brady

Play a Sociopath, at least that's a possible huge personality trait you could emphasize. 

Making sure that every 'friendship' is beneficial is important, but if someone doesn't benefit you anymore dump then off like they are nothing. Always make sure you're benefitting yourself, not others. That's some keys to a lawful evil character. 

I've yet to play one on DayZRP, I look forward to hearing this RP though.

doing bad things,to do the right thing

Are you playing with 2 screens?
I like to open my characters page at the times I play. Also for that one, it is a support for me to list Interests and Dislikes or something like that to help me figure how my character would react in certain situations.

My definition of a character that is Lawfully Evil is more along the lines of a politician that uses the system to make their own gains. I think of a character that is Lawfully Evil as someone that is not willing to break their own code/creed/laws to obtain what they desire. This person isn't someone who is derived of humor or kindness but is more along the lines of selfish and arrogant. Basically, a good "James Bond" villain, is a great example.