Server time (UTC): 2020-08-05, 16:38
Sign in to follow this  
andysuter

Livonia Appeal

You know I agree with everything that has been said here. I'm actually scared that someone will start complaining about how Livonia is "too hard, we're dying to often, the weather is stupid and unpredictable blah blabh blah" and they will change it. I say, lets keep it the way it is, with weather, loot spawns and all the difficulty. Maybe just overhaul where some items spawn for it to make more sense but don't change the rate of loot spawn or something like that.

It'd be just Chernarus 2.0. I've played Livonia mostly during open beta and I like everything about it because the fact that its heavily focused on survival aspect is what the best about that map. It's not just a different map. It FEELS like a completely different and unique place.

1 minute ago, Tewudin said:

You know I agree with everything that has been said here. I'm actually scared that someone will start complaining about how Livonia is "too hard, we're dying to often, the weather is stupid and unpredictable blah blabh blah" and they will change it. I say, lets keep it the way it is, with weather, loot spawns and all the difficulty. Maybe just overhaul where some items spawn for it to make more sense but don't change the rate of loot spawn or something like that.

It'd be just Chernarus 2.0. I've played Livonia mostly during open beta and I like everything about it because the fact that its heavily focused on survival aspect is what the best about that map. It's not just a different map. It FEELS like a completely different and unique place.

If someone wants to cry about how difficult Livonia is, they can go back to playing on Chernarus. DayZ is meant to be a difficult, survival game. So far, it has been well worth the 15 dollars.

42 minutes ago, Drizzy said:

If someone wants to cry about how difficult Livonia is, they can go back to playing on Chernarus. DayZ is meant to be a difficult, survival game. So far, it has been well worth the 15 dollars.

Exactly this ^ Chernarus is by far an easier experience. If not for the fact that I absolutely love RPing my current character who is tied to Chernarus because of all the amazing RP I've gotten myself into these past month, I'd move on to Livonia without second thought. Mostly for scenery and it's promise of hardcore survival elements.

The only difficultly I've really received from Livonia sk far has to do with the amount of rains and the amount of Zs.

The food spawns fairly regularly, you just have to have some knowledge about vanilla DayZ spawns (which houses to loot, etc.) and be decent at using iZurvive, although I've mostly just been running town to town using signs.

This updates great, once the normal bugs get worked out it will be even better. The amount of damage done to items DEFINITELY needs tweaked though. 

I make a point of not wearing a raincoat because I like that Livonia forces me to find shelter and make a fire every few hours. I feel like it makes the game more slow paced and you have to plan everything ahead. Livonia really feels much more like a survival experience to me having to manage your resources and listen to the environment for wolves or bears, it's so much better.

^ exactly that and the same reasons I love it too. Its what makes the map better. We had to decide if to go out in the rain and night and suffer the cold and risk of walking into half dozen infected or stay indoors and slowly starve. I like that kind of pressure.

Like above, I hope it gets left as vanilla (but adjusted to make sense re spawn locations) and the difficulty remains as it is now. Its not rock hard or hardcore but if you don’t plan ahead, you die. (and I haven’t even headed south yet!)

I spawned in alone and played solo, and honestly didn't run into any issues.

The only time I nearly died was when I got ganked and cut three times by infected, but I managed to patch up, heal up, and move on.

Chickens are fairly plentiful, and I've found canned food easily enough as well!

You might have just gotten a rough start 😄

Rain is sort of a pain. I've had to hold up in a hunting stand overnight once, because the rain came and I didn't know where the next shelter was.

Yes it really does seem that you have to deal with the roll of the dice when you spawn. Get near a decent town and find some food items and decent clothing quickly and you can survive. I didn’t and saw plenty of chickens but nothing to kill them with. I even found a can of beans but again nothing to open it with. I love that frustration. Like having mags for nearly every gun apart from the gun I found. Its like the game is giving you a middle finger. Its brilliant.

I certainly don’t want it easier.

The first time I actually played I ALMOST starved on some military airfield. I almost gave up hope, was literally starving and knew I'd likely not make it running to the next town. So I decided cutting up zombies in a last man standing hoping for a rare can of food and lo and behold I was saved. That alone was the first plus in terms of challenge and near-death experiences on Livonia that I hardly know from Chernarus or SZ, to be specific. The weather can also be tough, but if you take shelter and occasionally dry up, it's managable and nowhere near game breaking. It does indeed change the pace and reduce it, as someone else said. Sometimes you are simply sitting in some ruins or a house, anywhere with a roof above your head, waiting for the rain to pass or at least until you are dry enough to move on for a while.

The terrain being largely unknown and lethality of it all plus the ruined places and new assets (this feels a lot more European to me compared to SZ due to new or changed assets) and new character or story, all that make it a nice gem. I just fear it might end up dying the "Deer Island death" where it was initially very hyped (for an unfinished map) but later saw degrading numbers. While we didn't have to remove it because of lack of activity but monetization issues it's not like many players were really there in the last weeks and days.

I can only encourage people to try Livonia. I did after ages of Chernarus/SZ map and even the same character on there and it's a new interesting change of scenery, scenario and challenge. I don't know how much higher my personal pain threshold can go but I also wouldn't want it any easier than right now 🙂

Edited by Combine

Went South, tried taking on a bear with an SKS, got mauled in seconds. 

10/10 would play again on Livonia! 

It's a good map that offers a good experience when alone and makes encounters with other people more memorable, since they are also most likely struggling with surviving. 

Boy spawns in. Boy finds gun. Boy hears bear. Bear finds boy. Bear kills boy. Boy is dead. Welcome to LIVONIA

The environmental threats are what I have missed since leaving [REDACTED] and coming here. I feel they have returned again and now we can feel like our lives are no longer in our own hands. Plus the map looks so much better! I love the winter mod and I miss it but being in Livonia feels like I'm playing a better more up to date map. Livonia is such an upgrade too. I still feel the need to wear winter clothing just because of the weather. 

I love this map and the zombies present a challenge BUT I would like the zombies to be reverted back to their original status with more of them. Like on Deer Isle. 

The double barrel and Kar 98k is where it's at, no need for magazines. Ammo is common as fuck and both will instantly kill an infected.

I remember my very first steps into Livonia and being faced with actual challenge and the desperation to survive. It's something that I just haven't experienced in Chernarus for a good while.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chernarus. It's created a metric ton of fond memories. But at this point I know the map (well enough) and know where to look and go to find what I need to easily survive. Livonia dropped me into a completely new environment. I put some rules on myself (no using a 3rd party map etc) to make sure to maximize the unknown and honestly, it was the most fresh feeling fun I've had in a while. I put a short clip in the spoiler below to short how close I got to dying because of the scarcity and newness of the map (even though I was fortunate enough to find a old bunker with a magless AK and a knife);

Spoiler

You have to get yourself out of the comfort zone that surrounds Chernarus and just dive into it. I understand that not everyone wants a increase in difficulty or to have to relearn a map/the rules of the environment, but I still heartily recommend people trying it out for themselves. It's been a solid blast for the past days its been online and I (together with some others) will definitely continue to support the longevity of the map for as long as possible.

I agree with @andysuter, I died a couple times when I started on the map solo, getting a hang of the new survival techniques. It is definitely more of a real survival game, things are harder and it's a good thing. The only trouble I have had is a virus that got us and killed me. I will say it is harder to find building materials, we are constantly out on the hunt for more, it's helped us run into good RP though.

I played for quite a few hours when it first hit the test servers. I'm pretty sure I died at least 5 times before making it halfway south. The infected are much more of a real problem than they are on Chernarus, the weather is a hard-hitter also if you aren't prepared. The food and weapons seemed much more scarce which only made me love the map even more. I like that it is much harder to survive and it seems to add more value-for-life. 

I, personally, am loving Livonia and will continue to play it as much as possible. I hope to see more people join in soon so we can establish some good story lines and rp!

I agree. 

A lot of strategies to survive in Chernarus, don't work in Livonia anymore. But I honestly don't think, that's a bad thing. I got the feeling, that you really need to think about what your next steps are on Livonia. You constantly need to check the weather and learn how you can see if a storm is coming or not, cause one single storm can end your life without shelter. As well you have to prepare yourself for longer hikings, especially down to the south, because of food supplies and of course the wildlife, which is really not to be underestimated. 

I just like the more "survival feeling"of the map, where a wrong decision or unpreparedness can really cost you your life.

So far I really had fun on the map and I honestly really like how the landscape looks. 

Well i lost my survival buddy due to unforseen circumstances, so im now forced to travel alone. He logged out with my MP7 and not able to log back in again 😞