Server time (UTC): 2020-01-25, 21:39 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Cirtex

Hostile RP for the sake of Hostile RP

Alright so... as I've sat down and I've played this server something has become noticeably apparent. a lot of people who are here aren't here for RP. or anything even close to it. they are here for ez loots from the little guy. Now before I continue I will admit there are exceptions to this rule. there are some people who make morally grey character and Roleplay them stupidly well(A really good example is the character Eddie, role-played by @APositiveElmo). then you have the other side of the coin. you have people who are only here for the hostile RP.

Let me clarify: These are people who are abusing the rules and nitpicking every last thing they can in order to make what they do justified so that whoever they're attacking can't do jack shit and they can rob them blind. 

For example. these people will make totally jackass characters who are so morally grey they emanate FOG. Characters that are PERMITTED (Stressing that) to be toxic as hell and just absolutely immersion breaking and annoying, they are unrealistically evil with 0 redeeming qualities.

I have seen these kinds of people go out for a trip. and come back with mountains of gear from the people they rob, they constantly go OOC, be general dicks, and aren't exactly enjoyable in the slightest. they aren't writers, they aren't here for the role-play. they are here for easy prey. However. there is no way to ban them. because literally everything they do is within the rules. they'll always use excuses like "well i initiated on X because he said something that my character didn't like". they use terms from the rules instead of giving the roleplay reason, saying something like "Jeffery was getting annoyed by X's constant droning on so he got to the point by pointing a gun at him and telling him to empty his pockets." that's the key difference between players who are here for RP,  and the ones who are here for Hostile RP. (they are also easy to identify if they just start shouting and getting unnecessarily aggressive leading up into something, trying to create tension to give reason to "initiate" on a player. then they just raise their gun as they had planned to from the start and shout "PUT YOUR FUCKING HANDS UP")

Please discuss. 

Not quite sure who you are talking about, I haven't met someone like who you are describing since the beginning of standalone.

Met people like that myself and at this point all you can do is go along with it, you can report it and then be hunted down in game for something that happened OOC. It's a toxic community and it is rather easy to see now. A lot of people who come here are not here for the RP. I can easily say a lot of the hostile RP'ers actually bring in good RP whenever a hostage situation takes hand, or something alike that. When I first joined Anarchy ruled with an Iron fist alongside the Trade Union, they were glorified bad guys and I dearly miss them, but all this Jackals, 503. And I believe the Mob has created a lot of PVP'ers that will find any reason to initiate on you, be it a good one or bad one, it doesn't matter. I've seen some that bring good RP and I've seen some that don't. End of the day all you can do is put your hands up and follow their demand unless you wanna start over and die. 

You see a lot of these players in general not value their life, seeing all these montages of people that suddenly pulls out their gun in a hostage situation and yet nothing is done to them so yeah. Not much we can do my guy. I follow and agree your points wholly but this is a PVP game at the end of the day. It is a toxic community and all you can do is RP with those who are here for RP and just follow the demands of the PVP'er whenever it's there.

Ah yes I missed these posts...

The thing you have to respect is that people enjoy different types of roleplay and although this isn't your style it is others. This has been a problem since my prime, and I promise will always be around. The rules have been warped a lot, especially my time in staff. I remember when I first started the rules were so vague and so much different then they are now. They became a lot stricter, and then when people didnt like how strict they were they changed to how they are now. 

This has been a style of roleplay for a long time, and in all honesty it brings spice in our lives. Yes it sucks to have all your stuff taken but some of my best Roleplay interactions and overall experiences have been created by them. The groups I have created wouldnt have gotten so interesting without them, and I wouldnt have had such an amazing experience here without them. Its something you have to work around, and if you feel like a rule has been broken feel free to submit a report. 

HostileRP has and will always be the main driving factor in this apocalyptic survival game. The sooner people realize that’s it’s not the frequency that’s the problem the better off we’ll all be.

That being said, hostileRP is shit and has been shit from a majority of bigger groups. You can tell when someone is trying to just piss you off OOC and when they’re giving you genuinely thought out RP that they actually take interest in. No need to say which one is more common right now. Larger groups need to just straight up find a better purpose and reason for why they’re acting the way they are, because instead of being an intimidating force they just seem more like annoying dickheads.

4 hours ago, Cirtex said:

hey constantly go OOC, be general dicks, and aren't exactly enjoyable in the slightest

If they are breaking rules talk with them or report them. These forum posts do nothing.

Edited by AndreyQ

Just like in real life, there are people who will fuck you over if you are weaker than them. I dont know what is so "immersion breaking" about it. Are you saying that there arent cunts in real life?

As has been said, if someone goes OOC as you claim these people constantly do, that definitely is against the rules and is a bannable offense.

I also dont know what you are trying to say with this:

5 hours ago, Cirtex said:

they aren't writers

I can see that youre a great writer with classic lines such as: "characters who are so morally grey they emanate FOG" but being a writer has nothing to do with the quality of roleplay people can provide. This isnt a textRP community and thats just a silly insult to throw at someone.

I started typing out a reply about hostile Rp etc and then I realised this isn’t what the complaint is about.

Its about those players that come here as they see RP’rs as easy targets to pick on. Its about the players that don’t RP with any seriousness and often have a vague ‘we need your gear’ storyline to ruleplay around robbing someone. Its not about the many FANTASTIC hostile rp’rs we have on the server who provide a fear and edge to the server.

Its about the shitbags that are only here for gearRP and not story RP as they are too shit at actual PVP to survive on the KOS public servers

The good news is, once they have all their gear they generally get bored and leave, or get banned as they usually cross the line too many times.

Ive not allowed myself to be robbed by these type of players but it shouldn’t let it deter you from the server. There are so many amazing RP’rs on here that will make you feel engaged and challenged. Stick with it

Some *experienced hostile rp'ers*  need to evolve their Ruleplaying into Roleplaying. I never care about what i wear or what i carry. Loot is not important for me, but i've seen and experienced more than several times these *mighty, experienced boys* are just using RP'ers for gearing up.

Yeah, I have to agree.

Hostile RP is a must have for these type of apocalyptic servers. However it seems that people are just robbing for robbings sake these days compared to when I used to play here a few years ago.

Dont get me wrong Ive had some good hostile encounters, some guys weren’t sure if I was infected because I was coughing and wheezing and they forced me to submit to medical evaluation. It was some quality RP and really enjoyable to be a part of so kudos to them guys.

On the other hand some guy rolled on me yesterday and left me to freeze with no gear because and I quote “I smelled funny”. That was the only explanation I got which was pretty aids tbh. Ive reinstalled my shadow play so ill try and clip stuff like that if it happens again, but people shouldn’t be trying to come up with good reasons to rob people of gear.

Hostile RP should happen dynamically like with the guys who thought I was infected. My coughing gave them a valid reason to suspect me of being infected and thus any action they took where valid. They took that from a dynamic situation.

But yeah some people need to either think a bit harder in terms of holding people up.

Edited by Darren

I don't want to be the one to break it to ya'll but the fact of the matter is; if you have gear and someone else doesn't, then you're likely going to get robbed. Why? Because survival is priority number one and, using my character as an example, he is always going to value his survival and the survival of his friends/family over some random person he's found sat around a well or a campfire. We're in a post apocalyptic setting, realistically most of the people you meet are going to be marauders, backstabbers, and thieves. If you feel like the RP you received was low-tier then there's always feedback pages to express your concerns/grievances. I don't think a thread calling out Hostile RPers is necessary at all, it doesn't actually achieve anything constructive and only provides people an opportunity to make digs at each other. 

There are already simple solutions in place to resolve issues brought up so far in this thread. If you feel someone is only robbing you for your gear when they're already carting around an AK, an SVD, etc etc then report them for GearRP. If someone is constantly going OOC, tell them in text chat to stop, and if they don't then report them. If you feel like someone is trying to bait you into an initiation, then again report them for it. On an IC level, if you're sick of getting held up, there's always strength in numbers. Little groups are, unfortunately, always going to get bullied by larger groups because that's just how life is in a survival setting. Band together, make a base, or join a larger group that already exists. Do what you can to help to make your chances of survival greater.

Last thing I'll say is, always remember that there are worse things than losing your gun or plate carrier when you get held up. Yes, its annoying having to spend time re-gearing, however its far better than losing your life. 

P.S - Next time you get held up, remember the DayZRP Motto: "die die never comply" :^)

Edited by Queerios

6 minutes ago, Queerios said:

I don't want to be the one to break it to ya'll but the fact of the matter is; if you have gear and someone else doesn't, then you're likely going to get robbed. Why? Because survival is priority number one and, using my character as an example, he is always going to value his survival and the survival of his friends/family over some random person he's found sat around a well or a campfire. We're in a post apocalyptic setting, realistically most of the people you meet are going to be marauders, backstabbers, and thieves. If you feel like the RP you received was low-tier then there's always feedback pages to express your concerns/grievances. I don't think a thread calling out Hostile RPers is necessary at all, it doesn't actually achieve anything constructive and only provides people an opportunity to make digs at each other. 

There are already simple solutions in place to resolve issues brought up so far in this thread. If you feel someone is only robbing you for your gear when they're already carting around an AK, an SVD, etc etc then report them for GearRP. If someone is constantly going OOC, tell them in text chat to stop, and if they don't then report them. If you feel like someone is trying to bait you into an initiation, then again report them for it. On an IC level, if you're sick of getting held up, there's always strength in numbers. Little groups are, unfortunately, always going to get bullied by larger groups because that's just how life is in a survival setting. Band together, make a base, or join a larger group that already exists. Do what you can to help to make your chances of survival greater.

Last thing I'll say is, always remember that there are worse things than losing your gun or plate carrier when you get held up. Yes, its annoying having to spend time re-gearing, however its far better than losing your life. 

P.S - Next time you get held up, remember the DayZRP Motto: "die die never comply" :^)

If you read the OP’s post he doesn’t claim to be against hostile RP and even points out a player who has provided them with some excellent and engaging hostile RP.

They are upset with those players that carry out hostile RP without any sort of RP behind it, appearing soley interested in acquiring as much gear as possible. This is usually accompanied with weak RP reasons to justify the robbery rather than actually wanting to engage in actual RP with some engagement for both parties.

I think it’s a perfectly reasonable post to make.

Also the last point…. Given recent report verdicts, if you decide to do that suggestion when you are outnumbered, you are likely to be hit with NVFL if they report you

Edited by andysuter

14 minutes ago, andysuter said:

-SNIP-

Nor did I make the claim that they were against hostile RP, however they do make a point to call out those only here for Hostile RP. Hostile RP isn't the issue, BadRP is, and there's already appropriate sections on the forums for that. Either the Group pages, so you can leave feedback, or the Reports section. Making a thread where people can just come and complain about Bad RP experiences they've had isn't going to achieve anything, reporting people on the other hand will. 

EDIT: As for the last point, if it wasn't clear, I was joking. Don't NVFL.

Edited by Queerios

It is true there are some people who provide excellent Hostile RP because their focus isn't to big dick and swing their weight around. It's to create a storyline with people that will be long lasting and impactful. You can usually suss out these players because they will actively participate in RP with you, actively provide opportunities where they will "lose" per se and allow many avenues for you as a RPer to explore with them.

I have had a wonderful time with people like Elmo you tagged, or @APositivePara, @KordrugaRP, @JimRP, @StagsviewRBetc. People who put aside the desire to show off how much of a macho manly man they are by robbing and shooting people but instead work toward creating a experience both parties can enjoy specially because they know they have room to work. Sure, their characters may not have any redeemable qualities or their characters may be big dick'ers but they themselves know how to balance this with the RP they provide. The goal is to not get salty when the RP starts out. Let them wind up, and let them show you how they RP. 

Sadly not everyone is here for the same experience and you have to take the loses where they come. Some people are only interested in being memers, or cringe lords who scream a single initiation before some accidental OOC nonsense then rifle through your inventory silently whilst also telling you to "shut up" leaving you with no option to RP. But, those people you can report for BadRP/PM them directly and hopefully they can learn from their mistakes or move on. The worse offenders IMO are people who skirt the line of the Rules in order to dab/dunk/yeet on people so they can compile roblox levels of cringe limpwristed RP to try and pass off as actual RP. When they, themselves, know their efforts are not the best, won't even try and simply don't care. They are the people who aren't interested in building a story with you, and instead just want a chance to feel superior in a video game. They're in all communities. But, they out themselves easily enough and you can simply avoid them OOC and take them as they come IC. Typically they lose interest in the game/situation and move on to something else.

No one says you HAVE to take each encounter and allow it to affect your RP. Once, I was kidnapped by two (obviously) new players on my younger char. who proceeded to tell me to strip, then decided against it when I protested (only to which they silently looked through my pockets) and discussed how they were going to sell me to the highest sensual bidder before I mentioned my chars. age. To which they promptly told me to lay in the road, count to ten and bolted off into the fields.  The entire encounter was about 10 mins, talk about awkward. I simply retconned that experience and acted as if it never happened since it did not benefit my char. nor story and they didn't even stick around to conclude what weird RP they started to provide anyways. So I had no names or anything to build off of. There was no benefit to me, and the same can be said about your experiences. If you have a subpar RP experience you can allow your char. to shrug it off and forget it or minimize it. Some dude can run up all, "I totes robbed you and stuff" to which you can simply be "Oh I don't recall, you must of not been worth remembering." Perhaps this will prompt them to make their next encounter with you more memorable. 

I do hostile Rp for the sake of doing hostile rp.

Why?

Because without hostile RP none of your characters actually develop. Every protagonist needs an antagonist. The emphasis should be on the quality of the hostile RP. not how much of it you get. I don't look for a fight with every situation but I certainly don't look for a "reason" for my character to be hostile. I just go with what I want to do that makes sense. Occasionally, a very unique and interesting story develops like I had with @Brayces's character.

Edited by APositivePara

Damn another thread bashing hostile rp, as if there weren't enough of these alraedy.

Anyways I feel like most of these robberies you seem to be talking about are done by people who are new to the server. As 5.0.3 we don't even PVP that much, but our characters are thieves and torturers. We do not need a reason to hurt and rob you, however if you feel like the roleplay was sub-par than you have every right to report it or approach the people about it and give them feedback about how they could do better next time. 

Also i would like to add that some people offer very little roleplay as hostages but still complain. They will talk ooc in voip, show 0 signs of fear even after torture(or some even laugh while being tortured) and give the tortures no permissions to do anything. It's a two way street and when hostages refuse to follow any instructions and just generally seem to avoid roleplay because they are pissed about lost gear than it is hard for the hostage takers to make it a memorable experience.

10 hours ago, Cirtex said:

I have seen these kinds of people go out for a trip. and come back with mountains of gear from the people they rob, they constantly go OOC, be general dicks, and aren't exactly enjoyable in the slightest.

If they do this, just report them.

10 hours ago, RoverBeast said:

Met people like that myself and at this point all you can do is go along with it, you can report it and then be hunted down in game for something that happened OOC. It's a toxic community and it is rather easy to see now. A lot of people who come here are not here for the RP. I can easily say a lot of the hostile RP'ers actually bring in good RP whenever a hostage situation takes hand, or something alike that. When I first joined Anarchy ruled with an Iron fist alongside the Trade Union, they were glorified bad guys and I dearly miss them, but all this Jackals, 503. And I believe the Mob has created a lot of PVP'ers that will find any reason to initiate on you, be it a good one or bad one, it doesn't matter. I've seen some that bring good RP and I've seen some that don't. End of the day all you can do is put your hands up and follow their demand unless you wanna start over and die. 

You see a lot of these players in general not value their life, seeing all these montages of people that suddenly pulls out their gun in a hostage situation and yet nothing is done to them so yeah. Not much we can do my guy. I follow and agree your points wholly but this is a PVP game at the end of the day. It is a toxic community and all you can do is RP with those who are here for RP and just follow the demands of the PVP'er whenever it's there.

I don't know why you feel the need to call out specific groups. Especially when I don't remember the 503 having any interactions with you or the corporation for that matter. Now if you had any experiences with us that you thought were bad, then let us know through dm's or post on our group thread. It feels a bit nasty to just chuck out names on the forums like these with no substance behind it. Also if you talk about PVP'ers, idk why you think the 503 are PVP'ers. We don't make them montages because honestly, we wouldn't have the footage to fill it up. We have a pretty small group who has been hostile with pretty much every other group for quite a while now. Ofcourse we might be slightly better at PVP than the common person, because that is the only way a group like this would survive, but we don't go out with the intentions to gun people down.

11 hours ago, Cirtex said:

Please discuss whine/ vent.

Fixed for you.

I like to quote myself from here.

I think what people need to keep in mind is:  over the fun of big dicking towards other individuals you meet, over the blood thirst of beating someone up / torturing someone / killing someone, over the cool kids pvp challenge - as a hostile group your main goal is to entertain the person you are oocly/icly forcing to stay in a situation. If done well reputation is gained and people have fun - the ice is fucking thin though - if done poorly with a wrong focus it will leave a bitter taste to people involved.

The same counts for hostages/victims. You are required to follow a lead oocly/icly in a situation in which a victim role is forced upon you. It is a challenge as well because many factors ( How does your individual character react to violence brought towards her/him? How do you role play certain emotions? What is the best way to express certain feelings while acting within the rules?) need to be kept in mind.

People need to stop being close-minded, thinking in "team-hostile" & "team-campfire" and start to put the focus on how they can actively give impulses/ input into a situation to create an enjoyable situation for both sides which then can be processed into story lines.

my 2 Černoruský Rubl.

It is the same as any other rp style we have ig - if done wrong once people will remember and cry on the forums. I am pretty fucking tired of these threads, they don't do shit but encourage people to "describe situations X - oh yeah I've been robbed too". If you don't understand what I mean show some effort and read this and that 

Spoiler

@JimRP summarizes in it one sentence for me...."The problem isn't hostile roleplay, the problem is getting good hostile roleplay"

Just now, andysuter said:

@JimRP summarizes in it one sentence for me...."The problem isn't hostile roleplay, the problem is getting good hostile roleplay"

Stole that from a wise person that told me that, it's just something that we need to remember when RPing with others.

Exactly. It makes perfect sense and equally as @Husky.. says, it works both ways. If you get held up, dont wait for the RP from the aggressor and complain that it doesnt arrive, Give some RP back. Start to RP how your character would if they were held up. You never know, it may inspire the aggressor to put more thought into the robbery and their RP

Ive seen clips of @APositiveJade getting held up with little RP coming from the agressors yet that doesnt stop her from RP'ing.

(just occuring to me that these @positive people are bloody good RP'rs and set a great benchmark....)

Edited by andysuter

13 minutes ago, JimRP said:

-snip-

Beautifully said and good insight from someone that has been pushing what I consider some of the best Hostile-RP on the Server. Although Anarchy had some rocky points near the start, I feel it was a great show of how hostile RP should be done. The fact that people that had never met them were scared and already trying to limit their guns and follow the rules for when they ran into Anarchy was pretty telling. I had nothing but good experiences with them myself.

4 minutes ago, Ron said:

-snip-

I agree. I'm tired of seeing the same old threads coming up, in various forms of well thought arguments or rants. However as a typically non-hostile player, I can say 100% without a doubt that these threads do not all come from a place of salt or without reason. There are some pretty bad individuals/groups that have roamed around providing pretty poor experiences. My personal issue is that the bar of what is considered 'acceptable' was lowered again and again until people found that low point, that point where they talk just enough or just long enough to make it essentially a prolonged 5-sec-drop-weap robbery that is within the rules. They are not the majority, and they do not represent the entirety of hostile experience on the server, but they are certainly numerous enough to put a bad taste in peoples mouths.

If there is enough smoke that it keeps being brought up by people again and again, there is probably a fire. 

The issue becomes people don't report because they either don't have faith in the report system, know they don't have evidence (or only evidence that incriminates themself) or fear being bullied/harassed as a result of raising a report.

I agree with you Rover, not everything comes from salt - that is why i addressed my post to both aggressor & victims because it will always be about both.

8 minutes ago, Rover said:

a prolonged 5-sec-drop-weap robbery that is within the rules. 

Even if there is a small dialog between the people involved in a situation - You are in a team which has massive impact on , if a situation is seen within or outside of the rules. So next to the community members themselves,  the verdicts given out by staff are taking part in setting and changing the rp standard partially in my opinion 👍.

Edited by Ron

Been trying to think of what to say for a my POV here and here’s the best way I can explain it - 

As someone who predominately plays hostile characters - I’m experienced in what you talk about. I however understand that I have not been in your shoes. I am rarely if ever the victim of hostile rp so I do understand that I cannot really speak from you pov, but I will do my best to explain it from my side. As someone who has lead and been a member of many hostile groups, I think the most important thing that you HAVE to try to distinguish is whether the people are doing the roleplay for them for you. The best way I can explain this is the common misconception of gear rp. Robberies and theft have always been the height of hostile roleplay on dayzrp, and is often the most controversial subject of hostile rp. There have always been people who steal gear for the sake of making themselves geared, for whatever reason, and enjoy just having a lot of stuff for personal reasons.  This would be the category of hostile roleplay who do it for themselves. It often is not as enjoyable, but it can in some cases be acceptable (not that it’s good). But what you really have to look for is people who are doing the roleplay for YOU. 

You really have to keep this in mind. Groups Like Anarchy, or my own group Dalton’s Gang, we’re doing the hostile roleplay for YOU. Not only did the members enjoy hostile roleplay themselves, so we all had fun, but the goals and intentions of the groups were to provide something in the server to encourage roleplay and have “something” be out there to fear. Through daltons gang, we predominately stole gear, but it wasn’t about the gear - it was about providing a rag tag hostile group of bandits (which I felt you would realistically see in the apocalypse) to give people someone to fear, someone to hunt, and most importantly someone to ROLEPLAY WITH. 

99.9% of the people who you meet roleplaying a hostile character or a hostile group is not doing it to ruin your day. They aren’t doing it to steal your gear, they’re doing it to provide you roleplay. 

🙂

8 minutes ago, AidanVC said:

You really have to keep this in mind. Groups Like Anarchy, or my own group Dalton’s Gang, we’re doing the hostile roleplay for YOU. Not only did the members enjoy hostile roleplay themselves, so we all had fun, but the goals and intentions of the groups were to provide something in the server to encourage roleplay and have “something” be out there to fear. Through daltons gang, we predominately stole gear, but it wasn’t about the gear - it was about providing a rag tag hostile group of bandits (which I felt you would realistically see in the apocalypse) to give people someone to fear, someone to hunt, and most importantly someone to ROLEPLAY WITH. 
🙂

Dalton's Gang I only interacted with once, and was robbed on sight quite quickly, dragged off to a room, stripped of my gear (and my friend of his pants) and our inventory rifled through like we were grocery stores around Christmas time.

BUT

It was super hilarious and enjoyable, because while this is happening we are allowed to talk, we are bantering, we are being roleplayed with. We were 'interrogated', one of us was roughed up, I got mistaken for a Russian Spy because my doctor-character mentioned being brought in for an 'operation' of a different sort. It was good fun, and despite being left disheveled like I got mugged in an alley I came away from that experience laughing because of the roleplay provided. That was, IMO, how I'd like to be robbed 😄