Server time (UTC): 2020-08-08, 22:50
Sign in to follow this  
JasonBR

OOC in IC

Why is this coming up so much more often now? Over a year ago I hardly ever saw this happen, now I see it alot. Here's two I caught on clip

https://plays.tv/video/5dddd2828c7867ca8b/servers-about-to-restart-rp-server-btw-?from=user

And heres the other

https://plays.tv/video/5ded5c029a17d25758/ooc-in-ic-part-2-mishinko-boogaloo

If you're a new whitelist and don't know; Don't do shit like this. It's in the rules. Keep OOC chatter out of IC please.

Then report them, it's very simple. 

1f914.png

Just now, Challenger said:

Then report them, it's very simple. 

1f914.png

It's something so minor it's not worth making a report over but something so annoying that something should be said

I think you meant to post this here: https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/forum/54-reports/

It's annoying to see something like this. I would've personally approached them in private messages, tell them their mistakes and make them understand this is not how RP works. 

Also there is this :

Propose them to join this and improve upon themselves. 

@AndreyQ @Challenger you guys need to get new material.

I've seen this occur in game many times, its just a reminder that the whitelist needs to be more difficult.

Just now, JasonBR said:

It's something so minor it's not worth making a report over but something so annoying that something should be said

Appreciate the concern over the standards of roleplay in the community.

Lately I've had a number of players coming to me to try and help them by getting position logs so they can reach out and coach and mentor the members to improve, not report them.

If you encounter this personally in game, I'd highly recommend typing //stamp after the situation finishes, then coming to HD and asking us to pull logs for who was around you. Not everyone may do this, but its a good way to avoid a report while also helping someone new get a bit better at roleplay.

However for very egregious mistakes where people just don't seem to care, I'd encourage to post a report. If its minor though, you are welcome to do that still, or what I advised above to get in touch with them.

4 minutes ago, APositiveElmo said:

@AndreyQ @Challenger you guys need to get new material.

Facts.

Regardless, I see no point here. You see people doing this, go to helpdesk and talk with them. If they can't be asked report it. Simple and effective.

Just now, AndreyQ said:

Regardless, I see no point here. You see people doing this, go to helpdesk and talk with them. If they can't be asked report it. Simple and effective.

Given that we've both run into this mistake in-game time and time again, perhaps a PSA isn't a bad shout for our newer community members. Every little helps with this current whitelist 🙂 

To counter this is to simply fix the poor excuse of a whitelist we have and punish those that seem to act as if this is acceptable by reporting if not then contact them to make them aware, a thread is kinda over the top similar to me going dam I see allot of KOS reports going on what gives..

Edited by Eagle

Here's my input of ideas that may help fix the issues we have with the new flow of whitelisted players and those whitelisted in the past year:

• Create a white-list process that was as difficult as the one in 2017 (or older). Something that would require a critical-thinking mature adult to answer the damn questions. Preferably something you're likely to fail on the first time. It should be at least one hour of reading/study material. Right now players just skim right through looking for a pass-phrase, and will briefly touch up on the lore as they're taking the test.

• Force ALL players to create character pages that takes at least one hour of effort to create (instead of generic copy-pastas I see all the damn time) more content for their character to provide appropriate immersion and character-building. That means at least 1200 characters of Background Story, and a significant amount of character Features listed. So people will become attached to their character, instead of having a "DayZ" mentality.

• Reintroduce a reliable Mentor Program and allow the staff team to redirect further punishment parameters to be added to verdicts, requiring players to revisit the rules and have to schedule a 10 minute session with a Mentor before they can be re-whitelisted to play again. 

• Provide further assistance for Newcomers with roleplay guides, most of the ones I know of are old...  Mentors could assist on updating them or creating their own for Official Use. I also feel that Mentors should be officially sanctioned by the DayZRP Staff Team and given titles to be accepted as a role. Not staff, but noticeably important.
    Spoiler

• Create a detailed version of the Rules page (or create a scenarios page) for those who want to practice law on reports. This is not a joke. Players will make claims something was not listed in the rules, when in reality it's just common sense. There are few cases where common sense is not applied, and the verdict is dealt with, on how the Game Masters at the time "feel" about it. Causing the history of verdicts to continuously be in-accurate when scenarios are similar.

• Drill into new players heads that this is a Strictly Serious Roleplay Server; and any form of OOC or misbehavior will likely lead to a permanent ban if they have recently been whitelisted in the past month and/or have less than 50 play hours on the server.

• Once a report has been up for 72 hours, do not allow it to be closed for any reason except to finalize a verdict. I am tired of seeing rule-violators not receiving a punishment because the reporting party decides to "drop the charges" after a discussion. I see Staff step in on the occasion not allowing reports to close, but I think this process should become more strict. If someone broke the rules, they should be punished no matter the circumstances; I am not saying to be given points and a reason, but perhaps to be discussed with a staff member (or mentor) further outside of the report, to allow individuals to improve upon their behavior.
  •  
  • Don't allow players pay for Amnesty. If they've been permanently banned, it's 99.99% of the time, with valid reason, and it should stay that way...
Edited by Camo

Threads like this have absolutely no value IMO.

If you witness someone break a rule, create a report.

If you don't want to report them for whatever reason, at least come to the helpdesk and get staff to bring them in so you can have a chat and teach them the wrongs of their ways.

Creating a thread on the forums that I would quite happily bet money on the fact they will never see achieves nothing.

I've seen this way too much, a message needs to be added to the white list. Big red text, "NO OOC IN VOIP." Also add it to the splash screen while we load into the server. Either way I'm not spending 10 minutes to type out a report every time a dude is saying "wTf dUdE, DOnT INitiAte oN mE thE serVeR is RestArtiNg, i hAve to lOg OuT my DINner iS ReaDy." It happens way too much.

Just let us KOS people when they talk OOC, I think that will get the message across.

6 minutes ago, dawsonpark said:

---Just let us KOS people when they talk OOC, I think that will get the message across.---

I hope that was a joke.

I occasionally want to KOS those who don't wear Gas Masks in Kamensk Military Base as then I have to awkwardly RP it out, while they just sit there, not giving a shit. Then my immersion is ruined and then I have to file a report because their dumbass didn't read the lore.

54 minutes ago, JasonBR said:

And if it's not reported it won't stop because they'll continue doing it, spreading it to other newly whitelisted members...

4 minutes ago, Hofer said:

And if it's not reported it won't stop because they'll continue doing it, spreading it to other newly whitelisted members...

Literally stole the words out of my fingers. Report it. Don't silence it if you personally have an issue with it.

However, I'd like to point to the rule of "don't be a sore loser / etc" don't take your personal angers out on someone else. 

Sometimes talking it out with the accused can save all parties a world of annoyance. The op, the accused, and and most importantly the admins.

Talking solves a lot of problems for sure 🙂. Gl out there.

Edited by JoahVC

^^^

I was about the say the same thing. I don't enjoy when a thread is made about stuff like this, when no effort is taken to change it.

Report it, and it gets better. If you don't you help them continue their OOC in voip.

So either report it, or simply talk to them after words like everyone else has mentioned. But if you don't try something, it will continue.

59 minutes ago, JasonBR said:

Maybe you should start with something should be done. 

It is not a minor thing. It is immersion breaking and annoying af and seen as BadRP which can cause a 5 day ban. So no not minor at all. Stop venting and contact the people.

Explain instead of Complain.

I am becoming rather frustrated by the one-liner responses I see here, especially from the DayZRP Staff Team, stating "well just report"... As if that fixes any of the issues I addressed in my earlier post above... That is just a temporary Band-Aid to patch the larger issues. There needs to be further discussion on this topic...

Edited by Camo

8 minutes ago, Camo said:

I am becoming rather frustrated by the one-liner responses I see here, especially from the DayZRP Staff Team, stating "well just report"... As if that fixes any of the issues I addressed in my earlier post above... That is just a temporary Band-Aid to patch the larger issues. There needs to be further discussion on this topic...

What is there to be discussed though?

If you're not willing to report the rulebreak or at least speak to those responsible, nothing will be done about it and the people will never learn... if you want to get the attention of those accused of OOC VOIP, a discussion thread is not the place for it. The place for it is the report section of the forums. The place where rulebreaks are handled.

If the attitude towards rulebreaks is to not report and instead just make a rant thread on the forums, this is less useless than "a temporary Band-Aid".

Why is the frequency of people going OOC in VOIP higher in recent times? I don't know. Probably because of the state of the whitelist but for that we already have numerous threads regarding the whitelist and discussing why/how it needs to be changed. We don't need another.

3 minutes ago, Conor said:

What is there to be discussed though?

If you're not willing to report the rulebreak or at least speak to those responsible, nothing will be done about it and the people will never learn... if you want to get the attention of those accused of OOC VOIP, a discussion thread is not the place for it. The place for it is the report section of the forums. The place where rulebreaks are handled.

If the attitude towards rulebreaks is to not report and instead just make a rant thread on the forums, this is less useless than "a temporary Band-Aid".

Why is the frequency of people going OOC in VOIP higher in recent times? I don't know. Probably because of the state of the whitelist but for that we already have numerous threads regarding the whitelist and discussing why/how it needs to be changed. We don't need another.

You just answered your own question from the beginning, at the end of your reply. ...And perhaps you're right now not needing to create more threads regarding whitelist, but people will continue to create "Rant" discussion threads, until there's actually a significant and noticeable change.

5 minutes ago, Camo said:

You just answered your own question from the beginning, at the end of your reply. ...And perhaps you're right now not needing to create more threads regarding whitelist, but people will continue to create "Rant" discussion threads, until there's actually a significant and noticeable change.

People will always rant or like you do: drag threads into diff topics. This is an online community. It will always happen. Back on topic: I think for noticeable change, also community members need to show effort in teaching new people, not only whitelist and staff to blame here. 

Edited by Ron

The problem is that the responsibility falls on whoever witnesses the OOC IG to report it, but it happens so often that if we did report each time it happens, we'd spend more time reporting than playing. At this point, it becomes an issue that needs to be fixed BEFORE those players make it in game, not after. Either make the whitelist more difficult or my take would be to have some of the rules in your face on a splash screen while it's loading.

Example

A0AsR4u.png

Edited by OldSchool

3 minutes ago, Camo said:

Go and discuss the issue at hand in the relevant threads then. Help bring about noticeable change.

A lot of new players are new to roleplay and dont understand the severity of switching to OOC in voip. Reporting them, or at asking the staff to figure out who it was so you may speak to them about it is possibly the best way to deal with it. I dont know what else there would be to do, yes the whitelist could be harder but thats not going to stop people from slipping up, a ban or a serious talking to about the fact that they broke the rules is more likely to stick.