Server time (UTC): 2020-08-08, 23:42
Sign in to follow this  
Cowmoo

Am I the only one boycotting Livonia?

Well, am I? Am I the only one boycotting Livonia?

I am refusing to pay top dollar for any DLCs that Bohemia Interactive produces until they actually finish the game as promised. It seems the modding community is more reliable than what the skeleton crew Bohemia Interactive produces. Why should I pay them more for lack of effort they've done in the last six years since the release?

I really just wanted to strike a discussion for why players are playing Livonia right now. Is it simply to play in a new environment? Such as those (me) who went over to Deer Isle before it died off? I expect this to end up the same as that.

Edited by Camo

I wouldn't exactly call 15 dollars "top dollar" but I can see why you would avoid it.

As it stands, DayZ is in a fairly okay condition. There are for sure numerous bugs, but It's in a pretty good state, especially with modding.

State is good enough I feel okay giving 15 dollars to the game.

I'm not boycotting. I bought it and I like playing on it. It's different and I'm excited for the new uniforms that the Dev Team made to come out. They are amazing! Plus it's only $15. That's not asking for a lot. 

8 minutes ago, Camo said:

Well, am I? Am I the only one boycotting Livonia?

Nah, I'm not purchasing it either. I have fun on Chernarus and paid DLC on a game that isn't even finished doesn't sit well with me.

2 minutes ago, JasonBR said:

I wouldn't exactly call 15 dollars "top dollar" but I can see why you would avoid it.

As it stands, DayZ is in a fairly okay condition. There are for sure numerous bugs, but It's in a pretty good state, especially with modding.

State is good enough I feel okay giving 15 dollars to the game.

$10-15 dollars for a single DLC is considered Top Dollar in my opinion, especially in comparison to AAA games out there. DayZ is in fairly okay condition, with a lot of content and game mechanics that are still missing, or have been replaced by modders' efforts. (Thankfully).

I'm still here waiting for fishing, leatherworking, cross-bow hunting (rabbits, small-game)... along with other diseases, and assets that have yet to be re-added.

7 minutes ago, Camo said:

$10-15 dollars for a single DLC is considered Top Dollar in my opinion, especially in comparison to AAA games out there. DayZ is in fairly okay condition, with a lot of content and game mechanics that are still missing, or have been replaced by modders' efforts. (Thankfully).

I'm still here waiting for fishing, leatherworking, cross-bow hunting (rabbits, small-game)... along with other diseases, and assets that have yet to be re-added.

I can respect that choice. I'm waiting for a revolver to be added. 

I look at it this way, despite all the memes and ranting over the years and unhappiness with how they handled things in at least the past. I stayed with this game like to a wife in marriage in good and bad times, heh. It feels, what's the word, "intuitive" in terms of controls and aims for a more tactical / realistic approach to gunplay, opposed to the other almost arcade-like games I played.

I can see why others would avoid or 'boycott' it, then again I hope they put all the money they got through this, including mine, to good use and get more and better shit done in the future. I'm still awaiting the framework for helicopters and boats and other types of vehicles (bikes, bicycles?) - preferably before modders have to save the day again. I think they already did, but DayZRP being special you sadly can't just slap on all mods due to monetization. So ideally those things we can't use through mods, we get through the base game. Maybe even some type of NPC framework (humanoid, I mean) to simulate factions and add at least a mild PVE component. Or humanoid PVE component.

So far I like Livonia, but that might stem from the mostly new vibe like a kid in the candy store. It'll get stale eventually I reckon, just like the kid in the candy store becomes bored after it has spent enough time exploring all corners and tasting all sweets. It's a new land and with our RP community we can utilize it even beyond the pure map itself thanks to a bigger story framework, but personally I found Deer Island to be somewhat more diverse terrain-wise in a weird fashion. Here it's basically two themes: Open plains and deep forests. Going by those simply archetypes I think even South Zagoria is more diverse even though some of us can't see that map anymore 😄

Edited by Combine

Map is a solid craft, I am a little disappointed in the lack of effort when it came to moving the map from Arma 3 to DayZ though, I shouldn't have had to create livonian themed uniforms, they should have been done by Bohemia, that and the zombies should have been refitted as well. 

With that out of the way, I still bought the DLC, half because dev work, and half because I still support Bohemia despite the lack of content. 

It's like Star Wars for me, I absolutely hate Ray/Rei or however its spelled, I think she is a terrible character and the last jedi was garbage. 

But I still watched it, I still paid for it. 

Hate it or love it, its a franchise and an idea I support, I'm gonna complain tae fuck about it but I'll still support its development. 

I don't mind paying for it, it's a much more modern looking map contrary to how bad Chernarus has aged. Feel like it's 2012 playing that map it feels very grey to me.

Like I said on another thread here are some good points.

Military areas are spread throughout the map from south east to north west. So everyone isn't always running into the same military base, which really spreads the roleplay out and gives you a better chance at finding stuff.

Regardless of the type of building inside a military area it can spawn military items.

Dense forests you can get lost in if you aren't careful and a fear of the Bears and wolves that live in them.

Realistic farmland.

No needing to swim over water to get to certain key points on the map.

A much more modern / newer looking map, Chernarus hasn't aged well.

Realistic military training area.

24 minutes ago, APositiveElmo said:

Nah, I'm not purchasing it either. I have fun on Chernarus and paid DLC on a game that isn't even finished doesn't sit well with me.

I will buy it for you.

Edited by Finn

I don't enjoy giving money to companies that fuck over or under-appreciate their playerbase. I think the DLC should have been free, or cheaper, as a sort of thank you for sticking with the game through all the low moments in DayZ history. 

Bohemia, and other companies, need to properly appreciate their customers if they want to be respected. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to get people to rally behind something if they don't really care or feel wronged.

I don't wanna pay for it because I feel like it will die in a month's time.

I think if you've played a game for over 200 hours you've gotten your money's worth out of it. 

I have 3000+ hours and even if it was a buggy mess and had new bugs and fixes with every patch I still feel like I got my money's worth.

It's not like Mafia 3 where it was complete garbage for a story that was only 20 or so hours.

I've never enjoyed giving money to Bohemia other then the base game that I wanted, if this had been Namalsk or another NEW map that wasn't already used on ARMA 3 I wouldn't have minded shelling out a little cash to buy it. Landscape looks nice, more colorful in my opinion then Chernarus is during the summer but obviously everyones opinion will differ in that matter. With certain features that were present in .62 still missing I'm not comfortable giving more money to them until they've added in more of the basic features we are still lacking for a game that is no longer in beta.

2 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

I don't wanna pay for it because I feel like it will die in a month's time.

If I had to pick a reason for not buying it, it would be that one. I received it as a gift from a friend, but yeah. What AndreyQ said.

Fucka Livonia tbh

58 minutes ago, Camo said:

Don't want to get off-topic here but they did added fishing in the latest update. Just a simple FYI since it seems you might be unaware and its not a good sport to spread misinformation. Even if done unintentionally.

1 hour ago, Tewudin said:

Don't want to get off-topic here but they did added fishing in the latest update. Just a simple FYI since it seems you might be unaware and its not a good sport to spread misinformation. Even if done unintentionally.

I actually forgot about that. But it doesn't defeat the point of how long it took the DayZ developers to re-add a simple game mechanic that's been sitting in the game-files for a while. Long enough for Zeroy to create their modded version. I am curious how well it works now. Hopefully it isn't bugged or imbalanced.

I'll give it a month or two tops, then it will shut down or die a painful death. That's not worth $15, not at least right now.

Not boycotting it, just can’t be bothered to pay cash for a map simply. 
When all the items are free and will be added to chernarus and no doubt it the steam sale it’ll go half price or cheaper. 
End of the day your right they shouldn’t be charging for a map when they have a broken game but it’s a business they need to make cash

love the map this far. 
its different, more hardcore survival.
some like that others dont. im lovin it.
dont think its gonna die in a few months.

Honestly to me it's pretty cheap, an it gives me The Last of Us vibes pretty hard. I forgot how fun it was to get lost, added with the new weather and deadly zombies. It feels like a fresh Dayz experience.

I'm having a good time so far.

Edited by Billy

Paid DLC on a game that's had the worst development history ever and isn't even finished?

Hell nah, fuck that.

I am just waiting for it to get cheaper on steam. Simply can't afford games/DLCs atm.

DayZ might not be finished as a game and its bugs are starting to become a meme at this point, but it's come a long way and paying 14 euros for a visually stunning map that adds a new challenge to the game isn't that bad imo. Having played on Chernarus for 6+ years at this point I believe it's time for a change, even if it's a temporary one.

Rather player classic then pay for a  dlc on a "finished" game.

Edited by Eagle