Server time (UTC): 2020-01-27, 17:05 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
VikingHunter

Cold is way too intense?

Me and my buddies have been on for over 2 hours, fully clothed.

We have had to make 5 fires in this time as all of a sudden our temperatures will drop and begin to blink. Our health drops at an alarming rate even while running. Then when we make a fire our temperature takes a good 3 minutes to register as going back up, causing one of my buddies to die.

The rate the cold effects you at is way to fast and way too intense in my opinion, especially when you're fully clothed and on the move.

Would love to here some peoples views on this.

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Clothing#Comparison_Tables

Filter by Insulation, wear clothes that is well insulated to keep warm, and stay out of the rain, it is four times more lethal than summer season.

I have personally played a bit now and I have had no issues at all with keeping warm.

Be sure to cloth yourself well and take a baked steak with ya in your pocket.
The current cold is hard to survive without using a "heatpack" item.
It definetly needs some tweaking.

(don't pack more then 2 steaks tho)

Screenshot_2.jpg

I feel like as long as the winter Chernarus map is live the temperature should stay the same. Like the zombies, cold adds more of a challenge in the beginning. I have managed with the cold just fine. I have noticed that the temperature drops randomly even with good clothing that should keep you warm and not really sure what causes that, but yea still i feel like the temperature should stay the same.

That's the point, We were fully clothed, I had full winter army gear (all worn) and still lost terrible amounts of heat and had to eat every 5 minutes to keep that high enough. 

5 minutes ago, noudbouwmans said:

That's the point, We were fully clothed, I had full winter army gear (all worn) and still lost terrible amounts of heat and had to eat every 5 minutes to keep that high enough. 

It's likely that the rain is invisible when the snow map is active, I think this was something we ran into last year as well, however the solution is to stay dry and to wear the warmest clothes you can, use the link provided to figure out which items are the most insulated.

I haven't had much trouble staying warm so far.  If civillian clothes fails you, try using (military) the M65, TTsKO, or BDU clothing sets.

Another tip is to use a heatpack, or a warm object such as a cooking pot filled with hot water, or recently cooked meat.

• For those arguing it's an exploit; I see it as more of a feature than a bug. My argument, if you can use frozen meat as an icepack on a bruise, than you can use hot meat in your clothing to stay warm also. I will say, that I agree with the fact that it shouldn't stay hot as long as it does. I think it's infinite?
Edited by Camo

29 minutes ago, Ducky said:

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Clothing#Comparison_Tables

Filter by Insulation, wear clothes that is well insulated to keep warm, and stay out of the rain, it is four times more lethal than summer season.

I have personally played a bit now and I have had no issues at all with keeping warm.

27 minutes ago, Knightblast said:

Be sure to cloth yourself well and take a baked steak with ya in your pocket.
The current cold is hard to survive without using a "heatpack" item.
It definetly needs some tweaking.

(don't pack more then 2 steaks tho)

Screenshot_2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Camo said:

I haven't had much trouble staying warm so far.  If civillian clothes fails you, try using (military) the M65, TTsKO, or BDU clothing sets.

Another tip is to use a heatpack, or a warm object such as a cooking pot filled with hot water, or recently cooked meat.

• For those arguing it's an exploit; I see it as more of a feature than a bug. My argument, if you can use frozen meat as an icepack on a bruise, than you can use hot meat in your clothing to stay warm also. I will say, that I agree with the fact that it shouldn't stay hot as long as it does. I think it's infinite?

I feel there's an issue with getting clothed anyway, when my buddy respawned he was almost dead within 15 minutes from freezing as a freshspawn. Giving him minimal time to get anywhere that has decent clothing spawns.

It definitely needs tweaking, we went on a supply run for axes etc, used 3 until they were ruined to make fires last long enough to get us warm.

Fires took forever to warm us up, only to become freezing again in 10 minutes.

Heatpacks dont work and the difference between clothing is so minimal it barely matters what you're wearing. I even sat by a fire earlier and it didn't help me heat up at all 😢

Kill a chicken cook it and shove the meat down your pants. All you need to do this is a knife and it stops you from dying. Dont get wet. I dont think it's to intense. 

51 minutes ago, VikingHunter said:

---I feel there's an issue with getting clothed anyway, when my buddy respawned he was almost dead within 15 minutes from freezing as a freshspawn. Giving him minimal time to get anywhere that has decent clothing spawns.---

Yeah, I can see this becoming an issue, but I have only seen very few cases of people complaining of the hypothermia issues, and yet none of these individuals have backed up their claims with any form of details of what it is they are doing to prevent it. I see that you mention using a fire, but I must ask some questions:

1.  Are you standing out in the snowy weather for long durations (likely getting wet)?
  2.  Is the fire located outside in the weather or inside a building? 
  3. Are you remaining near the fire until all your clothes is no longer in a "damp/wet/drenched" condition?
  4. Is the temperature bar stable?
    • It should appear as a mid-range White color; not appearing Blue, Yellow, Red, or Blinking Yellow/Red
    • If the character's meter is Blue, they should remain in a enclosed building near the fireplace.
    • If the character's meter is Yellow, they should reduce their distance from the heat source, and possibly drink water.
    • If the character's meter is Red, they should immediately leave the heat source, drink water to stay hydrated (as this will kill you quickly from overheating)
    • If the character's meter is Blinking, you're liking standing on the fire taking Health damage.
  5. Is the health meter stable? It should be fully White, no arrows going down.
  6. Is there external factors occurring besides the Hypothermia?
    • Did the character recently drink contaminated water? This will dehydrate you quickly and cause death.
    • Did the player lose blood or get infected from other sources, such as a Infected attack?
    • Is the player wearing warm clothes?
    • Is the character trying their best to prevent any form of disease or death?
  7.  After all these attempts to prevent death, how long was it before you died of Hypothermia? Provide details of what you did from the moment your spawned until death occured.

That's the kind of questions the DayZRP devs will need to know to get a better idea of how to accurately tweak it.

Now, I'm not trying to point fingers here, but most of the players I see complaining on the forums about the survival mechanics are generally the ones that don't understand them to begin with; likely due to the fact they're newer to the game or never tried to learn them.

Edited by Camo

There's 2 methods to keep warm on the go:

> Wear high insulation, low absorbency value clothing
> Cook meat and store it in your articles of clothing. It is important to store it in the clothing otherwise you will not get the warmth value from it. 2 pieces of any cooked meat ought to suffice.

If you're prepared, the environment is no threat.

If I'm not mistaken a Radar Cap, FREE on the Item Shop, keeps you warm very well. 

1 hour ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

If I'm not mistaken a Radar Cap, FREE on the Item Shop, keeps you warm very well. 

Yeah but there's a ton of people who come into the community unaware of the item shop. Plus you ability to survive shouldn't depend upon you spawning something in, you should realistically be capable of surviving just off the things you do in game. Like Fae said above, the heat packs don't work in game so perhaps the starting package needs to be altered slightly to just include the radar cap then.

Maybe you should spawn in with a cooked steak instead of a fruit. That could help out with the fresh spawns and the temperature. 

16 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Maybe you should spawn in with a cooked steak instead of a fruit. That could help out with the fresh spawns and the temperature. 

Yeah, let's stop making it easier for players, otherwise they'll never learn the survival mechanics.
I hate it when communities cater to everyone's needs. 

Edited by Camo

11 minutes ago, Camo said:

Yeah, let's stop making it easier for players, otherwise they'll never learn the survival mechanics.
I hate it when communities cater to everyone's needs. 

Then throw out whatever you deem fit to be overpowered whenever you respawn. If you want a more hardcore survival experience you would have the option to do so, and those that don't wish to die and respawn several times attempting to figure out the cold system would have their option as well. The irony is that It works both ways, by making things harder for new players the community is catering to your needs which is the thing you hate.

11 minutes ago, Malthis said:

Then throw out whatever you deem fit to be overpowered whenever you respawn. If you want a more hardcore survival experience you would have the option to do so, and those that don't wish to die and respawn several times attempting to figure out the cold system would have their option as well. The irony is that It works both ways, by making things harder for new players the community is catering to your needs which is the thing you hate.

I'm not sure how wanting to keep a base-game mechanic and difficulty is considered catering to my own needs? 

Also, in what logic would I want to "throw out" advantageous supplies given to me by the server setup? That's just silly. The only benefit I get from that is bragging rights.

Edited by Camo

I don't think I've had any issues about being too cold - apart from when I had to respawn, my temperature bar has stayed neutral for most if not all my time on my character. I'm not wearing military or high insulation clothing either. Just thrown a piece of steak in my sweater and I've been good to go for ages! I wouldn't be able to tell you why, but just what's worked for me. 

Edited by Drbeans

Have not had one issue with being cold at all. Changed my characters clothes and look to suit the new cold conditions. 

17 hours ago, Camo said:

Yeah, I can see this becoming an issue, but I have only seen very few cases of people complaining of the hypothermia issues, and yet none of these individuals have backed up their claims with any form of details of what it is they are doing to prevent it. I see that you mention using a fire, but I must ask some questions:

1.  Are you standing out in the snowy weather for long durations (likely getting wet)?
  2.  Is the fire located outside in the weather or inside a building? 
  3. Are you remaining near the fire until all your clothes is no longer in a "damp/wet/drenched" condition?
  4. Is the temperature bar stable?
    • It should appear as a mid-range White color; not appearing Blue, Yellow, Red, or Blinking Yellow/Red
    • If the character's meter is Blue, they should remain in a enclosed building near the fireplace.
    • If the character's meter is Yellow, they should reduce their distance from the heat source, and possibly drink water.
    • If the character's meter is Red, they should immediately leave the heat source, drink water to stay hydrated (as this will kill you quickly from overheating)
    • If the character's meter is Blinking, you're liking standing on the fire taking Health damage.
  5. Is the health meter stable? It should be fully White, no arrows going down.
  6. Is there external factors occurring besides the Hypothermia?
    • Did the character recently drink contaminated water? This will dehydrate you quickly and cause death.
    • Did the player lose blood or get infected from other sources, such as a Infected attack?
    • Is the player wearing warm clothes?
    • Is the character trying their best to prevent any form of disease or death?
  7.  After all these attempts to prevent death, how long was it before you died of Hypothermia? Provide details of what you did from the moment your spawned until death occured.

That's the kind of questions the DayZRP devs will need to know to get a better idea of how to accurately tweak it.

Now, I'm not trying to point fingers here, but most of the players I see complaining on the forums about the survival mechanics are generally the ones that don't understand them to begin with; likely due to the fact they're newer to the game or never tried to learn them.

I'll answer these one by one...

1. We were travelling, so on the move.

2. We had fires inside and outside, all with the exact same effect

3. None of our clothing was showing as wet in our inventory, as we theorised that perhaps clothing being 'damaged' could make us colder, but none of my clothing was damaged.

4. Temperature bar went down at an alarming rate, and went up at a very slow rate. When standing by a fire the temp bar still went down until about 3 minutes of standing next to the fire.

5. The health meter changed after the temperature meter came out of blinking, but it took too long to register as becoming warm for my buddy.

6. None of us were sick, we weren't injured except from the cold, we were all fully clothed, I'm in full Field Gear with a balaclava etc and my buddies were also wearing similar. We weren't taking any vitamins if that's what you mean as none of us were sick/had been sick.

7. After using a fire until we were normal temp and health again, we must have been running for around 10 minutes before my buddy had blinking temp and a decreasing health again.

Also yes, I see where you're coming from. I can assure I understand DayZ's mechanics, I have more than enough hours 😛

For the love of god, remember to repair your clothes, damaged clothes will stop you from getting warmth and thus you begin freezing, I know this as I've experienced it in more than one time. So if you can't repair your clothes, then find new ones, just make sure they are worn or pristine.

After playing on Livonia a bit, maybe few hours, I can't complain that much. The cold is definitely something you will have to mind but I did no feel it was so bad it was "ruining gameplay" or "too hard". Obviously, since it was my first dip into Livonia, I did not come fully geared and starter clothes.

I'd just get atleast three or four cooked steaks of any kind, stuff them in your pocket, you'll be completely invincible to the rain. It'll never be a problem again even if you're drenched and outside, you'll always be warm because that's what I do in IRL.

Yeah, but then again I do think it does rain a bit too much, but that's just me. I haven't seen sunshine that much.

Edited by Annoying Rooster
Rain