Server time (UTC): 2020-01-22, 03:37 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Realize

Mentor Program

I don’t see the issue with bringing it back. If it’s not ran by staff, Rolle shouldn’t hate it! Try to get mentors that do different types of roleplay though. Not just people who are hostile and campfire roleplayers. I looks like a good idea, hopefully you get the mentors and students to sign up! 

Just now, DrMax said:

I don’t see the issue with bringing it back. If it’s not ran by staff, Rolle shouldn’t hate it! Try to get mentors that do different types of roleplay though. Not just people who are hostile and campfire roleplayers. I looks like a good idea, hopefully you get the mentors and students to sign up! 

Exactly this is what I am thinking have like 5 experienced hostile roleplayers and 5 non-hostile mentors, so when people get into situations they are not confused on how to act.

It is not going to make you the best roleplayers on the planet don't get me wrong, but it will give people the basics on how to act in situations and from there they can go on and develop their selves.

I think the main issue with this would be the communities attitude towards this program, some people have ego's that they pride over anything logical. Far too many of the current community think they are super role-players and that is why newer players struggle to adapt and learn. I was fortunate and got in with two good groups of folks straight from he start of joining DayzRP but not everyone has this opportunity. 

I think its 100% worth a shot and it makes zero sense why Roland wouldn't want his staff doing something like this, he does run a role-play server... If people can't role-play its just TDM with rules.

I support it as I was basically mentored by community members in a similar way and I like to think it worked a treat.

Hello @Realize i have ur back 👍

In the past few months I have seen the level of current roleplay decline in such an extreme manner, now this might be because I cant find people but the people i have been running into fall into a category of bland/grey characters who really don't have much of a personality. I wont say its hostile rp or normal rp its generally the roleplay standard has gone down with groups not getting into conflicts but ending up with firefights which lead to no story progression. 

The fact that the standard has gone down has rubbed off onto me, I personally don't put in as much as I used to because I dont get back the same effort, roleplay is a two way street.

I support the mentor program and don't understand why rolle is against bringing it back

Honestly, I would love this just to meet some experienced RPers who the community holds up as a standard. Don't get me wrong, I have been lucky enough to run into a couple awesome groups IC who do excellent RP, but more often than not I wander Chernarus alone and only run into other players who aren't very experienced, or they're even newer to it than I am (veteran RPer, but back in "my day" it was mostly forum style, not really any voice acting). It's hard to improve at RP when you're solo 90% of the time. I still love every encounter, but it's always nice to catch a glimpse of how more experienced people do it. 😄

Sounds great - a new member being taught by an experienced member. Quality of RP should increase, new members understand what to do and what not to do in certain situations.

Question is - how many new members would actually sign up to do this willingly? Perhaps it should be a requirement with the white-list, where let's say you get white-listed with all the questions and what not, and then you need to do certain amount of hours with the mentor.

It's hard for me to see that this will work without staff's help in the long-term.

Would love to see this return, was apart of it myself close to a year ago, picked up a lot of tips from the mentor I had, definitely something people should have a chance to experience.

+1 let me be a mentor, i want to teach the whitenames how to properly roleplay,

Best of luck @Realize on this. If you need anything from me, I'll try to help when I can! Looking forward to the results. 

Good luck man, would love to see this comeback again. If you need any help with something Im good at, hit me up 😉

I will start to look for people now to assist me in the mentor program, I have had a few people pm if you want to become a mentor pm me.

Never hurts to try and help the newcomers how to give good RP. If done right this can definitely increase the quality of the RP given

@Realize I gladly help new RP'rs I do have allot of rp experience I'm willing to chare

Edited by Aron73

Has the ERP mentor position been filled @Realize?

34 minutes ago, APositiveElmo said:

Has the ERP mentor position been filled @Realize?

Yes. I am taking that spot.

2 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

Not from me 😎

I think this would be a good thing, i don't see an issue with bringing it back, it would  help people learn the basics with whatever roleplay they want to try out for exapmple people who always campfire rp or are heros may want to try out hostilerp the mentor program would give those people a chance to try that out with the help of someone else

1 hour ago, AndreyQ said:

Can't wait to learn how to ERP with you.

2 hours ago, AndreyQ said:

Show me how to ERP goat daddy. This is a welcomed addition, Ill message you on discord.

This is something that has been needed for a while in my personal opinion. I'd love to see this back, maybe message Buddy to see if he's willing to part with the mentor programme thread to save having to re-do everything

I think this would be a great idea, especially off the tails of a massive influx of new whitelists this past couple of months.

Good luck with this @Realize!

@Realize @Roland (tagging you in as ultimately it will be your decision)

As one of the former official mentors, I think that bringing this back is a great idea.  Having said that, you haven't posted much and I hope you have a plan beyond "give me your names and I will let you know".

As a quick list, if history is anything to go from in terms of such this program, the mentors are going to have to be mature, approachable and patient community members who are able to potentially deal with, but not limited to:

• People who are IRL socially awkward/lack self confidence;
  • people who don't know how to play the game (I once spent about 1 1/2 hours trying to get to a person IG cause they had just got the game and kept dying after spawning);
  • People who are  a bit, um "wierd"
  • people who have a hard time admitting that they really don't understand the rules
  • young comunity members (especially with the no age restriction thing now)
  • people of different race/ethnicity/gender/sexual preference etc etc.

There will NEED to be some kind of staff oversight on this, even if it just  a nominated liason like the old program had as some people in this community just shouldn't be let into this program no matter how badly they want to help.  Just some things to think about before putting this together:

• There are some real creepy fucks in this community that shouldn't be let near females or kids (if you think there aren't or haven't been pedo's in this community or those with such tendancies you are delusional, and grooming over the internet is a real thing). 
  • Some females may feel more comfortable having a female mentor at times.
  • There are what I would define as "toxic" people in this sommunity whose toxicity may only "infect" newer members and/or put them off the community.
  • Maybe have a range of people to cover different types/styles of RP as theree was last time.
  • Seek assistance from official groups who are willing to let you run into them IG with your mentor and agreeable to letting some potential minor rule breaks slide (again not every group will be suitable no matter how bad they want to help).
  • you will need a range of timezones, don't forget about those in or with similar timezones as NZ and Autralia.

There was a document or two lying around from the last mentor program about procedure and basics to cover I think, I can see if I can find it if you would like, perhaps it may assist you, let me know. 

Sadly I don't have the time to volunteer again right now, but I am willing to help you get this setup properly and let you know what did and didn't work with the last official program and what else you might need to plan for for you to incorporate into or at least take into consideration whether you want to implement any of it, just message me.

I fully support this mentor program. I tried starting up a group a while back that catered to new players and would have allowed for some of us more experienced role players to help and coach newer members not only with role play but with the rules as well. Inevitably it did not work out, though I wish it would have. While I am not quite as experienced as some others on the server, I would be more than willing to assist in this endeavor. My wife and I are pretty experienced role players and I believe it was add to the overall quality of the server and the role play itself. I would love to be able to be more involved with the community to ensure that it improves, I think this program would be better for some of our newer role players who enjoy hostilities, getting kind of sick of lackluster robbery RP to be honest.

I would like to submit my name also, if anyone is new and would like help with RP or the rules aspect of the game. I can be contacted on Discord or here on the forums and will gladly help out anyone.