Server time (UTC): 2020-01-17, 14:39 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Mellstrom

Is this abuse of game mechanics?

I understand that walking on barbed wire is something that is possible to do both irl and ingame. It is however very difficult to do and requires a fine balancing act. Fine, maybe your character has a great sense of balance or has been a circus performer in the past but running on barbed wire on the other hand is a totally different thing since it would be very hard not to fall over and you could seriously hurt yourself in the process. 

Watch the clip and see for yourself, is this something that should be allowed on the server? why? why not?

I would be pleased if people gave their opinions on this.

Edited by Mellstrom

its a game mechanic so yeah it should be allowed

Just now, JewRP said:

its a game mechanic so yeah it should be allowed

It's a RP server as you are aware of, the barbed wire that is attached to fences like that should be treated as barbed wire the players put up even if it does not hurt you.
It should be treated IC like it gets treated IRL.

Otherwise there wouldn't need to be a AOGM rule.

I do apologize is it sounds sassy, that is not the intent.

*Puts carpet over barb wire*

There you go, now it's all good.

Honestly I wouldn't call that AOGM.

ok, so you need to sleep everytime nighttime drops, you cant walk around in the snow for too much since you will eventually freeze, you cant be running from 1 side of the map to the other because thats just physically impossible, you need to take a shit after a meal, you need to take a piss after drinking, you cant wear the same cloths all the time because they are dirty as hell, you need to take a shower, you want me to continue? 

also barbed wire isnt an invincible trap that just blocks people, ive seen people walk on barbed wire with my own eyes in Gaza, from 10 year olds to 40+ year olds and even 1 legless person. 

cant be pullin that IC = IRL argument. if its a game mechanic use it. 

6 minutes ago, Brokenkaliber said:

It's a RP server as you are aware of, the barbed wire that is attached to fences like that should be treated as barbed wire the players put up even if it does not hurt you.

Just now, AndreyQ said:

Yeah, i think i said that in the vid.

its fine with people boosting up on it since they can literally just rp that they put some cloth or something there. The problem is that when people are running on it it feels like im playing on an epoch server. It just doesnt make sense for people to be running like usain bolt on top of a barbed wire fence.

Are people going to rp that they would put something like 40+ carpets on it so that people can run on top of it, of course not.

2 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

I would agree with you to a certain extend, we see this happen in real life, but the situation is not about crossing the barbed wire without injuring yourself, it's about balancing ontop of it, and then proceeding to do anything but be careful. In game mechanics shouldn't represent the roleplay setting we play in (being able to sprint over barbed wire.) And I feel that as a roleplayer you should respect the lacking damage tick from that barbed wire.

In the game you're wearing tons of heavy items on you, now imagine walking onto a thin wire and let alone running with the lingering thought of: "If I fall, things could get pretty ugly." 

3 minutes ago, JewRP said:

ok, so you need to sleep everytime nighttime drops, you cant walk around in the snow for too much since you will eventually freeze, you cant be running from 1 side of the map to the other because thats just physically impossible, you need to take a shit after a meal, you need to take a piss after drinking, you cant wear the same cloths all the time because they are dirty as hell, you need to take a shower, you want me to continue? 

Yea, so with that logic, I feel that we shouldn't roleplay injuries, being shot at or roleplay at all, roleplaying your cold. Why not just Loot and GearRP everyone, that's the logic you're using right now. I know these are extreme ends of both parts. But considering the material of the barbed wire, ignoring it is bad roleplay. No matter how you twist it. 

27 minutes ago, Marik said:

Yea, so with that logic, I feel that we shouldn't roleplay injuries, being shot at or roleplay at all, roleplaying your cold. Why not just Loot and GearRP everyone, that's the logic you're using right now. I know these are extreme ends of both parts. But considering the material of the barbed wire, ignoring it is bad roleplay. No matter how you twist it. 

-USER HAS BEEN WARNED FOR THIS POST-

27 minutes ago, JewRP said:

You're being sarcastic on a discussion thread about AOGM, posting the exact opposite of what the OP is trying to explain as if it was a joke, sounds a little bit like you're just posting stuff to troll other forum users. 

If we start punishing for every little none realistic thing then people could probably find a huge list of shit to get one another banned..

22 minutes ago, Marik said:

You're being sarcastic on a discussion thread about AOGM, posting the exact opposite of what the OP is trying to explain as if it was a joke, sounds a little bit like you're just posting stuff to troll other forum users. 

Personally I see this as a Bohemia oversight, since they likely didn't expect anyone to actually jump over that fence, they didn't add any damage to touching the barbed wire.

However, that being said, there isn't much that can really be done to police this, chances of you catching someone in the act are close to null and in terms of AOGM? I don't think so, maybe BadRP, but not really AOGM.

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

If we start punishing for every little none realistic thing then people could probably find a huge list of shit to get one another banned..

I wouldn't go that far, but there are a few things that could be looked at. In this case, the barbed wire on fences and around military complexes.

22 minutes ago, JewRP said:

That's flaming. I hope you're aware you're representing a group with a tag under your name like this? If you can't keep things civil why post at all?

Just now, Brokenkaliber said:

I wouldn't go that far, but there are a few things that could be looked at. In this case, the barbed wire on fences and around military complexes.

Either you apply it to everything or nothing. 

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

However, that being said, there isn't much that can really be done to police this, chances of you catching someone in the act are close to null and in terms of AOGM? I don't think so, maybe BadRP, but not really AOGM.

I feel this couldn't be more true, I wouldn't call it AOGM, but more so BadRP if anything. Which, is still frowned upon to be fair. Especially if it's to gain an advantage in the game over others. 

Yes, that's AoGM. Just like driving cars underwater, hiding behind indestructible barrels, glitching your body into a solid object so you can't be shot, peeking through walls by glitching your head inside the ceiling.

Just because game allows you to do that doesn't mean it's ok. That's why it is called abuse of (existing) game mechanics and not cheating - something that the game would normally not allow you to do.

22 minutes ago, JewRP said:

20 minutes ago, Marik said:

That's flaming. I hope you're aware you're representing a group with a tag under your name like this? If you can't keep things civil why post at all?

I didnt mean this thread to turn in to a contest of how many insults people could get away with in a forum post. Whatever you two have going on between you guys has nothign to do with this thread, either post something constructive or dont post at all.

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

Either you apply it to everything or nothing. 

I don't really agree with you there. It feels really "black and white" with no grey zone. I know for a fact that a lot of the boys in Potius have to go to the toilet while they are IC they just walk of to the side and say in character that they have to go for a piss. Some things are easy as that.

Friendly reminder to both @Marik and @JewRP that pissing contests are hilarious but not conducive to productive discussion. Take it to DMs if neither of you can handle civil discussion. Same applies to anybody else wanting to act like a child.

7 minutes ago, Brokenkaliber said:

I don't really agree with you there. It feels really "black and white" with no grey zone. I know for a fact that a lot of the boys in Potius have to go to the toilet while they are IC they just walk of to the side and say in character that they have to go for a piss. Some things are easy as that.

Going to the toilet and Abog have nothing to do with one another with realism being needed to do said thing.

10 minutes ago, Roland said:

Yes, that's AoGM. Just like driving cars underwater, hiding behind indestructible barrels, glitching your body into a solid object so you can't be shot, peeking through walls by glitching your head inside the ceiling.

Just because game allows you to do that doesn't mean it's ok. That's why it is called abuse of (existing) game mechanics and not cheating - something that the game would normally not allow you to do.

Why because he jumped a wall and should think of an invisible dmg dealer? You should then ban everyone that grows food during winter with no heating..

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Personally I see this as a Bohemia oversight, since they likely didn't expect anyone to actually jump over that fence, they didn't add any damage to touching the barbed wire.

2.2 Exploiting or abuse of game mechanics (AOGM) is gaining an unfair advantage by using game bugs or mechanics in a way that the developer did not intend them to work.

I would say that AOGM fits in this case since running on the barbed wire is a mechanic that the developers did not intend to work, and you can surely use it to an unfair advantage.

You are right that not much can be done about policing it though but on the off chance that this happens again ingame it would be good to know that this counts as AOGM due to this thread and it might deter people from doing similar actions ingame.

We used to walk across it to get to our stash when we based on the island, it doesn't really make sense to be able to run but honestly I don't see how it can be a rulebreak unless it was preformed I  a really shitty manner, as always I suppose it's down to interpretation.

12 minutes ago, Mellstrom said:

2.2 Exploiting or abuse of game mechanics (AOGM) is gaining an unfair advantage by using game bugs or mechanics in a way that the developer did not intend them to work.

I would say that AOGM fits in this case since running on the barbed wire is a mechanic that the developers did not intend to work, and you can surely use it to an unfair advantage.

You are right that not much can be done about policing it though but on the off chance that this happens again ingame it would be good to know that this counts as AOGM due to this thread and it might deter people from doing similar actions ingame.

Everyone that builds wooden walls that survive cars ramming into them along with grenades and are bullet proof unless they fixed that would also be Abog then no? 

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Everyone that builds wooden walls that survive cars ramming into them along with grenades and are bullet proof unless they fixed that would also be Abog then no? 

The devs made those walls indestructable with intent though, they made them like that so that the only way you could destroy them was with tools ingame such as hatchets, saws, crowbars and sledgehammers. it wouldnt count as AOGM since its a feature of the game that the developers intended. 

It is true that the walls not being penetretable by bullets is a silly thing, maybe we can make a thread about that, im sure there is a mod somewhere that can add that in 🙂