Server time (UTC): 2020-01-28, 02:32 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
OnionRingOfDoom

Current Zombie Power Levels Above 9000

Zombie Power Level  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dearest @Roland,

Firstly; I would like to mention that I was indeed in Denmark on a business trip last month. I met a Swedish guy. We had beers together. But he didn't know you? What gives?

Secondly; As my favourite Owner currently listed on the staff page, I wanted to ask yourself to reconsider the latest update to zombie health and damage multipliers. In addition to also getting the communities feedback.

I would like to raise awareness to just exactly how god-damn-mother-fucking tough these pissing-bitch-ass-anger-inducing zombies are in the current state. If you get surrounded by 3 and you're on your own, even with a relatively powerful .556 rifle, you are pretty buggered. I would honestly rather fight a pack of wolves with my only weapon being the herpes virus.

Whilst I have no true issue with the damage the zombies deal in their current state, they are somewhat inconsistent currently. I believe that military do 4x damage when compared to female civ models currently? I know this was by design, but however I would like to suggest a different solution following shortly.

Zombies should be fairly easy to kill, as long as you get a head shot. Is there a way to alter the values for head-shot multipliers on zombies? Making all (if not most) weapons result in instant kill on zombies when shot/stabbed in the head? With this, it means that no longer will we need a full mag in an AK-101 to take out 5 or 6 zombies with head-shots landing every time. I think accuracy should be rewarded, but body shots should be punished (as we all know you can only kill a zombie with a head shot hurr durr).

Additionally, back to my previous point. Military zombies should be tougher, but not in damage output. I believe that military zombies should have a higher tolerance to damage instead. Meaning that the body-armour and helmets protect them from a lot of damage they can receive from players - relative to the weapon used.

Please consider my plea Mr DayZRP 😢 

Kind regards and much love
Jakkyboy

P.S: If the community doesn't agree, please disregard this and ban me forever.

P.S.S: That was a joke. Please don't ban me.

P.S.S.S: Sorry for cursing.

Edited by OnionRP

I honestly stopped killing infected. I just run around and lock them in buildings.

Edited by AndreyQ

But it's a survival game with zombies and zombies should be challenging, according to the lore they wiped the entire world so they shouldn't be pushovers that you just drop with a Makarov.

Obviously, with them being stronger now your old tactics you've used up until now to handle the infected will not work anymore. Adapt and overcome.

I think it makes the experience and role play more immersive, where appearance of zombies results in a reaction similar to "OH SHIT", not a "SIGH".

I also agree, I feel like the zombies are too strong. right now they're all wearing camo (Covered in Snow) so you can be walking down a road looking for some food or chickens to cook up. next thing you know there is like 5 zombies all looking at you... lets just hope you have a big building to lock them in. 🙂 

Just the other day I was walking through StarySobor and wanted to look in a barn.. I was talking to my friends and opened the barn holy damn there was 9 zombies looking at me like a fat kid looking at pie I was died in moments. leason learnt that day barns are not safe if you even hear one zombie inside. 

I like these new infected. Normally I would just never shoot because it was easier and more quiet to kill infected with a knife. But since knifes break whilst using and ammo is not that hard to find I like to shoot.

I too like it. It's also hard as hell to stealth past them. It's a nice change and there is a lot too.

I'm siding with Roland on this one... 

I am a survival game enthusiast, and I find the new zombie conditions to be quite challenging in a positive manner. I am returning to using old Arma 2: DayZ Mod tactics, of sneaking around, making sounds by throwing smoke grenades/objects, locking them in building, or finding it best to just challenge them 1v1 by letting them into a entry way 1 by 1.

I will honestly say, I think it's a bit nuts that it takes about 2-3 headshots with an AR to kill an average zed, but I am willing to accept the challenge!

Why you may ask? I am not a fan of players treating this as a Loot, PvP, Die, Repeat type of game. It seems to me the more games that come out like PUBG, Fortnite, et cetera; players are more interested in the idea of just running around aimlessly trying to fuck with everything they run into now. By that I mean, like mess around, harass/troll, shoot, or rob, or banter that leads to regurgitated pointless roleplay that doesn't engage the characters in a way that progresses any form of storyline. It's like watching kids run around in a VR sandbox fucking about at the playground, repeatedly playing the same activity; it's insanity!

I think the more difficult the survival is in a game like this, the more players that I would like to meet in-game will chose to stick around, and frankly would generally be more so interesting to play with, because they actually try to enjoy the little things this game has to offer by using their brain and creativity, instead of the usual bullshit I witness on a daily basis.

TL;DR - Try a change of tactics and you'll find the challenges possible to overcome.

Edited by Camo

Two words;

Spoiler

image.png.4c04772915a8e0fa0c4b05319faa4d6c.png

On a real though, I'm fine with the damage multipliers, zombies need to actually pose a threat and up until now its hard to argue that they've been more than a mild inconvenience. I'd like to see the health multipliers dropped a tad, there's no reason a zombie should be taking 2-3 heatshots from an AK. That being said the realist in me is saying that they are undead, they don't feel pain so they'll keep coming at you, hence the health buff...

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I think it makes the experience and role play more immersive, where appearance of zombies results in a reaction similar to "OH SHIT", not a "SIGH".

Making the already annoying zombies more annoying will not make people go "OH SHIT", it will make people go "sigh, fuck this shit is annoying" because their RP interactions are hindered by the annoyance. I know the intentions behind this were pure, but it's not going to work in game like that. Just some food for thought. ❤️ 

1 minute ago, Kerkkoh said:

Making the already annoying zombies more annoying will not make people go "OH SHIT", it will make people go "sigh, fuck this shit is annoying" because their RP interactions are hindered by the annoyance. I know the intentions behind this were pure, but it's not going to work in game like that. Just some food for thought. ❤️ 

That's odd, I find my RP interactions to be more intense because I have to team up with random strangers to fight off the new challenging infected. The zombies are meant to be an obstacle in the day-to-day life of this SURVIVAL GAME.

Just now, Camo said:

That's odd, I find my RP interactions to be more intense because I have to team up with random strangers to fight off the new challenging infected. The zombies are meant to be an obstacle in the day-to-day life of this SURVIVAL GAME.

I wish my experience was like that. Instead it is usually everyone starting to run around like headless chicken and trying their best to get those vital 20 axe hits in to kill one zombie, until someone shoots one and then there are 20 and the RP ceases completely.

I'm not saying that this is something that everyone doesn't like, but I certainly don't enjoy that.

I like the zombies but when your peppering think in the face with .308 at point blank range and there swinging at you still it’s a bit meh, would it be pos to fiddle with the hit boxes or is this not a thing @Duckyto make them one shot head shots 

I agree with you all that it should be a challenge. Hell yes. And I like it...

But shit son, if you can keep your nerve and calmly shoot 8 zombies in the head that are rushing you, I think you deserve to live! @Ducky anyway to make headshot's more.... headshotty?

Love xxx

1 hour ago, neom said:

I like the zombies but when your peppering think in the face with .308 at point blank range and there swinging at you still it’s a bit meh, would it be pos to fiddle with the hit boxes or is this not a thing @Duckyto make them one shot head shots 

even with meele weapons like axe , etc... i agree with neom about make them one hit kill if you able to hit them on Head.

Just make the headshot multiplier high and keep the same base hp/damage

2 hours ago, neom said:

1 hour ago, OnionRP said:

I agree with you all that it should be a challenge. Hell yes. And I like it...

But shit son, if you can keep your nerve and calmly shoot 8 zombies in the head that are rushing you, I think you deserve to live! @Ducky anyway to make headshot's more.... headshotty?

Love xxx

Projectile damage is based on two things.

1. The caliber of the actual projectile

2. The damage modifier on the target hit.

As far as I am concerned, there is probably not a way for us to only increase headshot damage, but then again I also haven't really looked into it, I suppose the hitboxes and their modifiers are probably defined somewhere in the core game, I'd have to do some digging.

But lets just assume that we can find it, we'd set the damage based on a modifier, much like your dearest platecarrier doesn't take away a flat amount of damage, rather it applies a modifier to the bullet that hits.

Lets say someone gets shot in the chest with a .380, they will take full damage, 100% of the projectile damage for that specific projectile, maybe a little less if it is over distance, for the sake of simplicity lets say full damage for the .380 is 40 health damage.

Now let's take that very same bullet, and shoot someone in the plate carrier.

The plate carrier has a projectile damage modifier, when the bullet hits the plate carrier it is applied to the bullet.

That modifier is 0.5, this means we take the flat 40 damage, and times it by 0.5

Obviously, that makes 20 damage, instead of the 40 damage, so effectively the platecarrier halves all damage received to the chest.

I imagine zombies and player models have something similar like that, most body parts having a certain modifier with the most vital (Head, Torso) having a slightly higher modifier, but again this is all speculation.

Like said, I will have to do some digging, it will likely happen after I am finished making some of the basic things for Livonia, like their police and ranger uniforms.

I agree that they should be a threat, and think they were TOO easy before. Now I think they're a little TOO much. Their current ability to destroy shit with a single scratch is REALLY a mess - lol. I might like to see their strength pulled back a bit, but their numbers increase a little. 

Either way, I'm sure we'll all get good enough to handle them sooner than later. 

I understand that the Survival aspect of the game should definitely be turned up a notch when it comes to the zombies, for that I agree but i'm not a fan of them taking so many hits to the head to drop, as this does drop the immersion for me in-game.

For example if i've got a baseball bat, and i go to take on 1 zombie, i don't expect it to die from one hit to the head, or even 3 or 4, but when i'm hitting them in the head several times and they still haven't dropped (will make exceptions for potential misses to the head here), it certainly takes the immersion out of the game for me here as it feels like the zombies are taking way too much damage before their head should be theoretically caved in.

And from what i've read above is anything to tell, then not dropping from a few AR bullets to the head would definitely drop the immersion level further for me. (only recently gotten back into the game)

Perhaps there is other ways to increase the survival aspect without having their head being so resilient, such as making them move a bit faster when you are spotted, or more numbers so sneaking is more of a requirement if you come across a 'horde' in or even out of town and no reasonable weapon to take them on with.

Edited by J.P

I was in a building surrounded by zombies the other day and shooting at them from a window with an AK74 from about a foot away. Took two shots to the head each time. I do enjoy the increased difficulty they now present as before they were more of an annoyance than an actual threat. But I do think one shot from a decently sized caliber to the head should put them down.

10 hours ago, Roland said:

But it's a survival game with zombies and zombies should be challenging, according to the lore they wiped the entire world so they shouldn't be pushovers that you just drop with a Makarov.

Obviously, with them being stronger now your old tactics you've used up until now to handle the infected will not work anymore. Adapt and overcome.

Gotta be real, I've shot zombies in the skull with rifles and they've not died. I love that they're actually a decent threat now if you get swarmed but the player should also be rewarded in some way for aiming for the head instead of the chest. 

I love how people for years complain: " Remove zombies they are boring... "

*buffs zombies* - " Too hard... I cannot shoot them all anymore... reeeeeeee "

Never a good balance I guess.

As long as I can sneak past them like I have done for years, buff them as much as needed, so people actually take zombie threat seriously.

I quite like the new zombies! Actually a challenge, actually promoting... small time medical rp ..? maybe... or just giving me the ability to curse and mutter at them under my breath because they won't go down! I think if it was possible to modify the different sections of them, then increase head shot damage, but for now I concur to leave them as is. I'd even opt to have them a little more beefy during the spring/summer/fall as well, not just during the winter. Fear rp at it's finest 🙂 

10 hours ago, Roland said:

-snip-

I def don't mind seeing some form of buff to the infected, it does force you to pick and choose your moments on when you should shoot to kill an infected and just try to hand to hand them.

What I would prefer to see instead of a damage/health buff would be a general increase in the amount of infected that spawn, maybe not Deer Isle levels (Because fuck me you do one thing wrong and you had 30 on you) but enough of an increase that you could get the same effect as buffing their damage and health outright. I will say the one effective weapon we've found that drop the new infected quickly is shotguns with slug rounds loaded in them. Obviously I would understand if the server can't handle more infected spawning, it is just a thought though.

I am fine with everything about how tough they are except for the heads that are bullet sponges. I'd like them to go down in one headshot from most weapons. I wasn't surprised to see that a .22 was two shots, but rifles surprised me.

I like how the zombies are right now. Like everyone has said it adds more of a challenge and its good in the roleplay aspect too. In my experience it made me work with random people that i interacted with more to work together and get rid of the zombies.