Server time (UTC): 2020-09-26, 14:24
Sign in to follow this  
RiZ

CodeLocks Mod

Better Codelocks  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is something I previously suggested on the Discord, which was met with some good discussion around it. I have used this mod on several other servers, and the QoL improvements that these codelocks add really makes this mod great.

The mod is highly configurable, and adds a new pin type of codelock to the game. These codelocks are far more streamer friendly, as you can use your physical keyboard to type the password into the lock. They otherwise work exactly like standard codelocks, and can be removed with a hacksaw for raid purposes.

From a lore perspective, these can be battery operated which would be no different than radios, flashlights and NVGs. This also circumvents the issue of people standing on the other side of your gate and watching you open the lock, leading to the locks being changed several times a week.

The code can also be associated to a player, so the player doesn't have to input a code every time they want to open the gate. This is super convenient for everyone who accesses a base.

The servers that I've used this on perform very well, so I would hope there wouldn't be a negative performance impact on the DayZRP servers.

Mod name: Code Lock

Steam workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1646187754

Please consider adding this. I really think it would be a great addition to this community.

Please, this would make life so much easier. CodeLockRP is not fun

I prefer the vanilla ones. They are more fun to use and decode.

This will just make bases that much more overpowered.

if you don’t want your stream to see then you can put an overlay on like everyone else on planet earth.

Just now, tossVC said:

if you don’t want your stream to see then you can put an overlay on like everyone else on planet earth.

This was not just about streamers - this is a huge QoL improvement involving base building in general.

2 minutes ago, tossVC said:

I'm not sure how these would make bases more overpowered if they're able to be sawed off the same way regular code locks are, the only difference is you can't see someone put in the code.

I'm all for the change though, it does get quite tedious having to constantly put in the code to your base, this would allow quick and easy access to your base and would give people another item to look for for their base. You use the regular code locks until you're able to find a digital one and it helps you feel like your base is a little more secure even if the digital locks come off the same way as the normal ones.

Its the apocalypse why would there be any digital code locks, we don't even have fucking power. And why and how would digital code locks work on tents and wooden walls? 🤔

I'm all for making shit easier but its gotta make sense yafeel me

Edited by JorrdanVC

4 minutes ago, Eagles said:

I'm not sure how these would make bases more overpowered if they're able to be sawed off the same way regular code locks are, the only difference is you can't see someone put in the code.

I'm all for the change though, it does get quite tedious having to constantly put in the code to your base, this would allow quick and easy access to your base and would give people another item to look for for their base. You use the regular code locks until you're able to find a digital one and it helps you feel like your base is a little more secure even if the digital locks come off the same way as the normal ones.

Removes the ability to snoop over a shoulder, or memorize the clicks and out-Smart the defender.

I guess this will just have a cool keycard you can swipe and your door will open. which is made out of wood and metal wire.

Edited by tossVC

2 minutes ago, JorrdanVC said:

Its the apocalypse why would there be any digital code locks, we don't even have fucking power. And why and how would digital code locks work on tents and wooden walls? 🤔

As stated above, from a lore perspective these could be battery operated. In my home in the real world, I have a battery operated deadbolt. There is no reason these cannot be the same. These do not have to be configured to attach to tents as well. They could be for built gates only, the same as current codelocks. 

image.png.a237e20e301ffdcac6c3177d2da916c9.png

I like the idea of the easier use of code locks, maybe we could make the current ones able to be typed in instead of having to circle to each individual number, however I don't think there should be any type of digital code locks still working this far into the apocalypse, especially on wooden gates. It just doesn't make any sense on how a digital code lock would be able to unlock a wooden fence held together by some metal wire. 

+1

Please.

We need this.

QoL improvement plus it benefits streamers to not leak codes. 

I’m not for the whole, being able to just open and close type deal. I still think manual entry of the code is required each time. But should be good improvement if it were added.

@RiZ big brain.

I like this idea so +1. 

1 hour ago, tossVC said:

Doesn't stop people from metagaming the clicks through stream though 😮

I think a) we change to the digital ones and go along with what was suggested

or b) make it so that you have to input the code every time but make it the digital so its having to type each time. We can keep the same locks if need by if it ruins peoples immersions cause they can't get over a battery operated lock. 

These code locks can be hacksawed the same as the locks currently, so theres no OP way of protecting the base. I don't agree with the code locks being on tents, doesn't make sense but do believe that the code locks should be able to be used on cabinets/lockers.

We already have two seperate code-locks, and adding a digital one doesn't make much sense, especially since I believe the mod in question also allows you to place the codelock on containers.

As for the codelock remembering you and letting you open and close without entering again, that would be incredibly powerful for base defense, and throw off the already unbalanced scale of Attackers/Defenders, let's not add to that problem.

For those who stream, mute your stream and shove an overlay on for the 10-15 seconds it takes to access the lock.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

We already have two seperate code-locks, and adding a digital one doesn't make much sense, especially since I believe the mod in question also allows you to place the codelock on containers.

As for the codelock remembering you and letting you open and close without entering again, that would be incredibly powerful for base defense, and throw off the already unbalanced scale of Attackers/Defenders, let's not add to that problem.

For those who stream, mute your stream and shove an overlay on for the 10-15 seconds it takes to access the lock.

Both of these features can be disabled. You can configure the locks to only be on gates, and you can make the lock require input every time.

Completely unnecessary, does the same thing as a codelock but it's an extra item to add to the loot table. They're ugly too no bueno mi amigo -1 

Just now, RiZ said:

Both of these features can be disabled. You can configure the locks to only be on gates, and you can make the lock require input every time.

Then why not just use the overlay/mute solution I suggested?

It's a lot easier than adding an entire mod to the collection when you could solve the problem clientside.

+1 lets give us raiders more of a challenge coz atm its easy as hell to get into your base  

@RiZ also this:

money.PNG.2e117b465817a4856164d96b9daf7f6d.PNG

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Then why not just use the overlay/mute solution I suggested?

It's a lot easier than adding an entire mod to the collection when you could solve the problem clientside.

This is something we have already done - that doesn't mean that a quality of life improvement isn't something that could of should be made, regardless if the user streams or not.

Edit: In regards to monetization, this is used on other monetized servers and would need approval.

Edited by RiZ

If they were absurdly rare? Maybe. But as Ducky pointed out, its not able to be used on monetized servers. Personally I dont see any benefit from adding it to the server so its a -1 from me. I feel as tho it just makes the balance of attackers/defenders that much more complicated, as with a vanilla code lock you can crack the code at least.

Just want to clarify for everyone: this is able to be used on monetized servers with approval. I've been on several other servers that are monetized that contain this mod. It doesn't hurt to try to get approval.

-1 We have locks in the game already that take a little bit longer to input as it should, I play the game for it's survival aspects. If I wanted to watch people run in and out of bases constantly with ease I'd be playing Rust, at this rate it's what the server is turning into with these massive fortresses. People spend more time behind walls and shouting shit over them than actually being out and about RPing.

4 hours ago, RiZ said:

The mod is highly configurable, and adds a new pin type of codelock to the game. These codelocks are far more streamer friendly, as you can use your physical keyboard to type the password into the lock. They otherwise work exactly like standard codelocks, and can be removed with a hacksaw for raid purposes.

Also, while streams are appreciated from memory we don't cater to Streamers fully. A platform to play is provided, that's it. Rules and things added to make their lives 'easier' isn't a valid argument.

Also;

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

From someone that has also played on other servers with it on, the amount of times during fights someone has just sprinted to their door and been in within 2 seconds is ridiculous. This just adds a VERY annoying way for people to avoid hostilities and RP in general. Ways around your issue as a streamer have been presented above and in all honestly, comparing these codelocks to NVG's and Lights isn't valid either, seeing as they take other items to work. If these codelocks actually ran on batteries, I'd be all for it because then theres actual upkeep for people to do, but alas it's just a click and type and it's there for good.

+1 the codelocks in game right now are kinda trash. Especially with how frustrating it CAN be to put one on a gate that is on uneven ground. especially the ease of running up behind someone and checking the code as they enter it, which if you see how far your character model is actually standing from the thing is completely unrealistic. as well as the unrealistic long ass time it takes to actually enter in a single code. 

I like how difficult it is to set up/detach a combination lock on an a door. Setting up a codelock seems to easy to me.

if you want rust, play rust
codelocks just seem like a scapegoat to protecting your gear through OP means

Edited by groovy tander