Server time (UTC): 2020-01-20, 13:29 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
OnionRingOfDoom

Hostage Shield

This is for one of the admins, GM's and @Roland

Disclaimer; this is in no way an admission of guilt, and should be assumed purely hypothetical for that reason. I just want to ensure my understanding of the rules are clear for future reference.

Me & @JackZRP take @BandsRP hostage.

We force BandsRP to open the door to his base under threat of death. He complies.

JackZRP & I begin looting.

I take a shot from outside the base and am hit.

JackZRP is killed by being too warm even though he is naked in the snow (weird glitch after putting on Jugg suit).

I order BandsRP at gunpoint to slowly walk towards the front door of his base with his hands up.

I am using BandsRP as a human shield with hopes that his pals won't attempt to shoot me in fear of killing their friend accidentally.

However they do take some shots at me when leaving the base.

Now I am forced to make a split decision, continue using BandsRP as a meat shield (possibly breaking the rule of putting a hostages life in danger), or run.

As I am on final warning, I don't want to take any risks, so I peg it hoping for the best. But die minutes later.

My question is... if BandsRP was accidentally shot and killed by his friends whilst I was forcing him to be my meat shield... who's fault is that? And is that a rule break from myself, or his friends, if anyone?

Edited by OnionRP

The way I look at it is that if they open fire on you it means they are his friends. At that point using him as a meat shield makes total sense. If people are there to help Bands and they see someone using him as a meat shield they should either stop firing and negotiate or get good at aiming and not hit Bands.

Also in most cases the rescuers would be an approved group at which point if you are taking shots you could simply execute the hostage, so using him as a meat shield instead shouldn't really be breaking any rules as you could just shoot him in the head.

Edited by AndreyQ

1 minute ago, AndreyQ said:

The way I look at it is that if they open fire on you it means they are his friends. At that point using him as a meat shield makes total sense. If people are there to help Bands and they see someone using him as a meat shield they should either stop firing and negotiate or get good at aiming and not hit Bands. Also in most cases the rescuers would be an approved group at which point if you are taking shots you could simply execute the hostage, so using him as a meat shield instead shouldn't really be breaking any rules as you could just shoot him in the head.

I didn't want to shoot him, he was a good hostage and had great fun RP up til this point.

Maybe I'm too soft but he didn't deserve death 😞

Edited by OnionRP

In my own opinion (and remember that I don't handle reports 😄 ) it's technically a rule break from the people who shot their own friend just like any other invalid kill done without kill rights, but it would almost guaranteed not be reported and we would be skeptical to treat it as invalid kill considering the circumstances. So yeah, we can pretty much discard that.

As for you, it's not a rule break to hide behind someone. You have to protect hostages from dying from exposure, thirst, hunger or zombies - things that you have control over. There's nothing you can do to stop someone else shooting the hostage, that's out of your control. If you shoot from behind hostage however, now you're doing something that puts the hostage in front of you at risk, that's a big no-no IMO.

1 minute ago, Roland said:

In my own opinion (and remember that I don't handle reports 😄 ) it's technically a rule break from the people who shot their own friend just like any other invalid kill done without kill rights, but it would almost guaranteed not be reported and we would be skeptical to treat it as invalid kill considering the circumstances. So yeah, we can pretty much discard that.

As for you, it's not a rule break to hide behind someone. You have to protect hostages from dying from exposure, thirst, hunger or zombies - things that you have control over. There's nothing you can do to stop someone else shooting the hostage, that's out of your control. If you shoot from behind hostage however, now you're doing something that puts the hostage in front of you at risk, that's a big no-no IMO.

Thanks for the response rolle.

I absolutely agree shooting from behind the hostage is risky business, however if his group with defender rights are shooting at me, doesn't that mean that technically I do have execution rights? (Even though I'd rather not kill the hostage as I think it's bad practice without at least first attempting negotiations and exploring other alternative outs). Meaning that even if I did accidentally shoot the hostage from behind, I wouldn't be punished for it, as I already had execution rights anyway?

Just now, OnionRP said:

Thanks for the response rolle.

I absolutely agree shooting from behind the hostage is risky business, however if his group with defender rights are shooting at me, doesn't that mean that technically I do have execution rights? (Even though I'd rather not kill the hostage as I think it's bad practice without at least first attempting negotiations and exploring other alternative outs). Meaning that even if I did accidentally shoot the hostage from behind, I wouldn't be punished for it, as I already had execution rights anyway?

That's two different rules that do not have effect on each other. Regardless if you have defender rights or not, shooting from behind the hostage is putting him at risk of dying.

1 minute ago, Roland said:

That's two different rules that do not have effect on each other. Regardless if you have defender rights or not, shooting from behind the hostage is putting him at risk of dying.

Thank you, understood xxx