Server time (UTC): 2020-01-29, 12:50 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
GreenySmiley

What kind of RP does the community prefer? Long term , medium or short term story building? Your personal preference?

Most liked type of RP (Long, Medium or Short build RP sessions)  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like all three kinds of RP, each has their perks of course 😄 just wondering what the rest of the community thinks currently, like what kind of Rpers do we have? Are we currently a more short, long or medium story building community? I believe all 3 are great however my personal order is: Long Term is the one I love the most, then Medium and last short term Rp. 

Long term story building:

I prefer to have small things happen during encounters, take my time to build things up over many weeks or month.

Example: for many month it was a thing between Alkis and Penny to randomly once a month run into each other. Each time they would just see a little more of the others character, slowly notice changes. Be someone that knew them before things happened and changed and this way become also a special constant to each other by still being around. It creates a special kind of bond that only grows over a long period of time. 

Medium story building: 

I prefer to deal with my Rp as I come across it in the next few days or weeks. Trying to push to get somewhere and get progress to build my character and change it.

Example: Often done through groups, example I was with WolfPack and got to experience relationships change between each other and the other groups and with them becoming more powerful them also changing and becoming more hostile, they used to be a good group but nothing is just pure good or evil. With them experiencing more hostility and more power they also started to rob people themselves and overpowered smaller groups. Then changing back, trying to keep the moral compass and redeem themselves in some way returning to their roots and back. Like a constant struggle to find their place in this new apocalyptic world. Its like every set back is a gift, fights lost changes the way they approach things and changes them. They stay and rise and fall in a place and move to the next. Sometimes within a few days others in weeks.

Short term story building: 

I prefer to wrap up my RP quickly within the same day or RP session. Putting effort into meeting whoever I need to get things settled quickly. Action is my life, not playing running simulator all day.

Example: I ran into someone and get robbed. Who likes a loose end? Time to go and hunt them down. Lets see what tortures things come across my mind, before I wrap this up and kill them at the end of the session. Today is the day I want to have fun and who cares about tomorrow? The only way you get progress is if you make things happen and not just run around pointlessly all day.

I would love to ask what other people feel like which type of RP is for them? Which do you enjoy the most and why? Maybe you even have an example for the type of Rp you prefer the most? A story you had happen to you in RP? What was it like? Quick or build over long time? What made it so memorable?

Hoping people share some stories they had fun with in RP 😄 I have so many I love to think back on. Maybe a discussion why anyone prefers one over the other. 

Definitely Medium lenght RP for me. 

To do Long term you'd most likely have to play with great dedication every single day which I personally can't be asked to do. There is a lot of dead space between that time and some days you might not even find any interesting RP at all. A few days or weeks is the perfect time for me, of course short RP works as well though i feel like wrapping up a story in the same day could get boring VERY quickly due to there only being so many Day 1 interactions you can have before you start seeing the same ones. Though i can definitely play the same character for months since i rarely get bored of it. Does that make it long term RP? Not sure. 

Never really had any character specific story lines, it's mostly been based on the group my character was in. 

While long term roleplay would make for the most satisfying storytelling and progression, I myself tend to stick to the medium term. I often don't have enough free time to be able to fully invest in long term RP thanks to a combination of work, other hobbies and life in general, so a medium term where I'm not "expected" to be on as much is very preferable.

Although I do have one long term RP going, namely my character and his generally life hanging in and around Novodmitrovsk together with @Halven as the custodians of The Tower (no matter how many groups come and go, the Tower remains and so shall we), I wouldn't be able to establish a new long-term thing, as currently it works well enough so that I don't have to dedicate as much time into it. It helps if you've got a established place and don't have to move around too much to find your RP or story.

Short term can be fun too. Meeting a stranger on the road, chat a little, be on your way and maybe never meet him/her again. That's also good RP and does impact the characters to some degree.

All in all, it'd be Medium, Long Term and then Short Term for me, considering time constraints and the inability to be on as often as some people would like. But all three have merit and definitely have their place within the community, as one can often lead into the other, or coincide with each other.

My eyes! What is this formatting?!

Anyway, all 3 types have their place.

As an example I will use hostile RP;

Quick: Rob 2 women for their food and water. They are nobodies & no reprocusions happen.

Mid: Turns out these 2 women had boyfriends. The two boyfriends hunt you down and firefight ensues.

Long term: But these 2 boyfriends were part of a large group. Now the whole group is after your group and a 2 month turf war begins.

All three situations are great and what make this game so good.  Because you are playing with real people with their own stories, you have no idea what effect your actions will have in the long run. So I think picking and choosing the length of the RP is wrong, just let what happens, happen.

I usually play characters with long term rp, as days or months go by things that have happened will effect her and slowly my character will change, i like making characters that will be effected by either groups she is with, other people or even her own decisions, and makes me think to try and keep her alive so far i have done well, its know been 1 year 2 months since she has been made and she is still kicking, same cant be said for another character but i did the same with my other character her decisions got her killed which makes it exciting 

7 hours ago, OnionRP said:

As an example I will use hostile RP;

Quick: Rob 2 women for their food and water. They are nobodies & no reprocusions happen.

Mid: Turns out these 2 women had boyfriends. The two boyfriends hunt you down and firefight ensues.

Long term: But these 2 boyfriends were part of a large group. Now the whole group is after your group and a 2 month turf war begins.

All three situations are great and what make this game so good.  Because you are playing with real people with their own stories, you have no idea what effect your actions will have in the long run. So I think picking and choosing the length of the RP is wrong, just let what happens, happen.

In this case you misunderstood a little what I meant by short term.... its short term if all is wrapped up and done and the RP ends there... like if you had killed the two women during the robbery and nobody around to know and they would not remember having been robbed... like short term for me is if the RP is completely wrapped up that there could not be a follow up unless it is your own character running around and showing signs or telling people that you robbed and killed the two women.

So your encounter with the two women could be preparation for long term like you said just let what happens, happen 🙂. I would since they were let go and run around to tell the tale class this under long term or medium term depending when you and them wrap this up, but yeah everyone lived to tell the tale. If Either side had killed the other during the encounter so one side had to forget it then I would class it as short term, since it can't be used in further RP.

I prefer long-term character building. When I first started Trent Jaegar, my character page was a blank canvas and I added onto it over time. I like to create private journals to help me remember who I know, especially when you run into 1000 different characters since the beginning of the lore wipe.

Edited by Camo

A whole collection of the three. Small short stories that branch off to their own conclusion and long elaborate stories that lead to something horrible or amazing! 

Whichever length it takes for me to win. Right? Point of roleplaying is to win?.. no?..

But it depends. Short term can lead to this long/medium term roleplay. If you’re not playing to push forward a story or a narrative why are you on a roleplay server? There should be something more than a short experience from getting your shit taken in a robbery.

It should always be something roleplay invested in one- or both of the parties involved in every situation played out. Even if a robbery is just for gear, the roleplay provided should be something where you can push forward a story if the other party so chooses to progress it.

If you’re at the mindset of ‘I’m just gunna Rob this dude and give him enough roleplay so he doesn’t report me and dip’ then you’re the problem. Push stories. Make friends. Make enemies. Set a reputation. 

At the end of the day, as long as I'm getting some roleplay, I'm happy.  If I had to pick, I'd go medium term, since it doesn't require a level of commitment I can't always offer being a full-time university student, but still has satisfying conclusions and pay-off due to the actual time-sink involved.

Unless it's @Palatheio, then long term.  Always long term.

Short term RP is what I prefer. Running around having some hilarious drive by memes or getting into short, tense hostile situations that resolve in a gunfight or hostage taking is how I like to play. I used to prefer long term RP but I just don't have the energy these days.

Long Term is definitely my style. I'm not a very busy person so dedicating most of my time to RP isn't a problem. Collecting different information and obtaining knowledge of not only specific groups but specific people is my favorite. The more people I go around and meet, the easier it is to communicate with them in the long term. For example, yesterday on my way to Vybor Military I bumped into a fella, after a bit of communicating we realized we knew each other from a different time we met a few days ago when I assisted him in Gorka. Because we already knew each other it was easy to create a trustworthy friendship. Collecting knowledge is key, I always write down the name of everyone I meet and a description of them to keep in case I run into them again. Know more people, gain more trust, have an overall better time role playing.

I personally like long term RP. I like to be involved in a storyline, to be invested in the characters involved. It's like watching an episode of your favorite TV show. Especially when a character in this plotline dies in a satisfying way, it can just feel that much better. I remember before I was banned, when one of the characters in my group that everyone was close with died it prompted so much change in the group, dividing some people, bringing others closer together, and created a bunch of sub stories. While it was annoying that some of these never got resolved and not all of them were satisfying, the RP generated was still very good. 

If I'm reading into this correctly...

I feel like the end game is to always have incredible long term RP.  But you can't get there without the other two so...

Whether it be a group or a character story, in the short term you build interactions with many players.  Some stick, some don't.  Maybe even the current character only lasts for that short term.  If you are successful to get to the "medium" point you'd get perhaps a larger event that happened based of the short term interactions or some sort of climax is achieved (giggity) at that point.  And in the long term you remember the interactions and events from medium to short term RP and build from there.

This place is all about telling a story, some short stories can be excellent.  But an epic, legendary journey...that will likely take some time.

I have played the same character basically my entire time here, and in all honesty I feel like long terms much better. The stories that develop and the amount of people your character meets is incredible. It develops a story line over time and its far more interesting then playing a character for a week or two and then just killing it off. That being said I can see the fun in doing short term, making a character and trying something you haven't done. 

My character Brady lasted about a year in 2016 and he had moved from about 3-4 different groups and made so many connections to so many people and I think thats what its all about 🙂

I certainly like to build myself up over time, get a feel for my characters actions more in depth, and try to build myself up more over time to provide the best way to react in character and such, but this can only happen with consistent RP scenarios, so I do prefer my RP to be in the medium length area, best of both worlds, not too far apart, but enough time to get your own thing done, and think over them.