Server time (UTC): 2020-08-11, 18:33
Sign in to follow this  
Fuhqnugget

Car TP Glitch and rules

Simply said, I had 3 people so far in the last 2 days that have appeared in my car as part of the TP glitch. Every single time I play it out ic but go OOC and ask where they were, if they need a ride, if they need food, etc.

Now, I was running with a group during one of these encounters and they attempted to initiate and rob the random player of his M4 that showed up. I stopped it by yelling in Discord comms as it's exceedingly rude, and I went on to explain some of the stuff that is important in situations like that.

As a community member I want to establish outright that if anything is done to one of these people or if this person does anything to the people he/she randomly meets with, it becomes an exploit of a glitch and is therefore punishable.

I believe randomly TPing into another person's car is obviously unfair for both parties in many cases. This should go without saying, but you should immediately offer to help in some way or at the very least let them go fairly quickly. 

TLDR; I want to establish that if a car TP happens that if the TPer initiates or gets initiated on it is punishable as an exploit of a glitch. The user did not put themself in that situation willingly and therefore should have a 'grace period' set upon them where they aren't immediately murdered.

Thoughts?

Edited by Fuhqnugget

I definitely believe that, if the person who unwillingly was teleported decides to abuse that, or if the people around the teleportee decide to abuse that, they are definitely exploiting.

I mean it goes without saying that, that person was not meant to show up randomly like that, I do not think it is necessary to implement a rule about this as it falls under fair play and what I'd like to think is common sense to everyone.

Perhaps I am naive to think that it is common sense, but maybe this thread sheds some light upon that?

I think this is a good idea.

At the same time I disagree with the fact that we're not allowed to help you guys out with this exact issue when we have the tools available to do so, and this happens quite frequently. Of course there will be a situation here and there where we can't or aren't available to help due to work hours and IRL, but at least we would be able to help out when we can.

No.

This shit happened to me but it shouldn't stop me nor them from initiating if they want. Just RP out the situation and then ask a GM to TP you back.

10 minutes ago, Hofer said:

At the same time I disagree with the fact that we're not allowed to help you guys out with this exact issue when we have the tools available to do so, and this happens quite frequently.

Who doesn't let you?

3 minutes ago, AndreyQ said:

Who doesn't let you?

The one that makes all the rules for us.

@Roland currently there is a TP glitch where people get TP'd to another random car when they enter/exit theirs. Could the GM team use the tools they have to TP people back? Evidence will be in the position logs so it's very easy to check if it did occur or not.

I say just RP it out. I don't like how people take advantage of the glitch and just straight initiate but oh well. This is why I avoid cars. I can agree with all the points made though. Let's see what the Boss has to say. 

12 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

I say just RP it out.

meh... -  and then situations like this happen, tbh.  I think that is kinda shitty because you never know what situation you are ported into. I agree with @AndreyQ's suggestion of letting the Game Masters help someone out ig.

Like you said it's no once fault and happend randomly so either RP it out or get rid of the person, putting this idea to use is just making a rule for the sake of it and pointless.

Last time this happened to me I got TPed back which is a simpler solution.

Edited by Eagle

1 minute ago, Ron said:

meh... -  and then situations like this happen, tbh.  I think that is kinda shitty because you never know what situation you are ported into. I agree with @AndreyQ's suggestion of letting the Game Masters help someone out ig.

I do agree personally that at least no hostile RP should be done as a result of taking advantage of the Glitch TP but that's a personal belief.  

I agree. It'd be pretty shitty to get glitched into a situation only to be robbed because of it. I see the argument for rping it out, which would be better. Maybe just make hostile RP not allowed if the glitch happens? Might be hard to come up with a reason for why you appeared there though.

Edited by BSJasonGames

This is so immersion breaking, With admin tools available why arent we using them, makes me sed. 

My personal opinion is that it should be treated like any positioning glitch, like getting stuck or flinging a vehicle to Mars. If whoever it happens to would want to get TP'ed back to where they were, I'd say they should be allowed to.

Personally I would consider robbing someone who gets teleported to your car AoGM unless they're acting like a complete twat or something after logging in. It feels to me like intentionally abusing the fact that a bug happened just because you can. That being said calling in: @Roland @Saunders @Voodoo and @Randy for their PoV.

3 minutes ago, Dingle said:

My personal opinion is that it should be treated like any positioning glitch, like getting stuck or flinging a vehicle to Mars. If whoever it happens to would want to get TP'ed back to where they were, I'd say they should be allowed to.

This I disagree with however as people might claim they were tpd just for free tps to their friends, and it would involve a lot of log checking to verify 

I would like to throw out that every single time this has happened I have role played out the situation, but OOC let the person know that we won't rob them and have actually stopped someone from my group from doing so.

Also, considering this is a glitch I wasn't exactly intending on this being a rule added to the official rules list, as this will be patched or fixed by a mod soon.

My intention was to get the GMs and other to deliberate and make the ruling official for the time being through this thread.

I agree with @AndreyQ though. If you can ever roleplay out a situation you should, however people in this server have varying levels of RP skills. If you TPed into Falks or Saunders car for example there'd be no reason to not RP, but if you TPed into a group of 3 fresh spawns who joined the server 3 hours ago it's a different story. 

Also @AndreyQ, that entire situation was horrible RP. No trying to explain it, they were holding you up to hold you up. If they had someone who was less prepared for PvP then there would have been a robbery where horrible RP led them to removing their pants and such. He even went OOC in VOIP. This entire situation is just not explainable IC and the teleporter or the people they were teleported to should have the rights to continue on with their initial RP and not be forced into a hostile situation.

Now everytime it's happened in my group so far we had 8 to 10 people with us, so it was quite easy to lead it our way. I could have stolen everyone's weapon who showed up last night (3 people) and that would be 3 unhappy people that experienced a glitch and a crash but also had to deal with a robbery on top of all of that. 

I agree that you shouldn't avoid the RP that comes from this, but I believe you should have to go OOC and ask permission for HostileRP. Nobody should be subject to a type of RP that their character would otherwise normally avoid in any other circumstance, but I also blatantly believe that you can't avoid good RP if it presents itself.

And @Zanaan, this TP glitch normally happens when more people are present. I think it'd be fairly commonplace for 1-3 people to be giving the okay for a TP to happen and letting the GM know that one of the party has experienced the TP glitch. It's understandable when it's just one person to not believe them, but when an entire group is saying it I'd see little reason to not believe it.

TLDR; Not an official rule, but a statement making this fact known. Also, if good RP presents itself don't avoid it, but if it turns into HostileRP the other party should consent as a glitch had you show up in the first place.

Edited by Fuhqnugget

Yeah, this teleportation bug happend to me three times. It's been an quite the annoyance, and rather game-breaking, especially if immersion is ruined to the point a random player appears out of no where right by your car and causes havoc in-character.

I would say it's as simple as calling over for a Game Master to assist you with returning to your original spot (with evidence provided); because what's the purpose of giving Game Masters Admin Tools if they aren't allowed assist a player with a technical issue in-game?

Here's a great example of one encounter that teleported me literally 9200m accross to the otherside of the map. I was in a truck south of Kamensk, hoarding a load of loot and supplies, to then be teleported to one of the most dangerous spot on the map, Green Mountain. Shortly after logging in I was confused, and then stated in OOC that I was teleported. I was surrounded by people, wondering who I was, et cetera. I would have been extremely upset if I had been initiated on, thankfully after confering with the Game Masters online, I was teleported back to my original location after providing the evidence below:

Untitled.jpg.9c0d5722b37ef7711d1c87272af6a1e2.jpg

Edited by Camo

21 hours ago, Hofer said:

I think this is a good idea.

At the same time I disagree with the fact that we're not allowed to help you guys out with this exact issue when we have the tools available to do so, and this happens quite frequently. Of course there will be a situation here and there where we can't or aren't available to help due to work hours and IRL, but at least we would be able to help out when we can.

Isn’t it like a 2sec TP if you’ve got the tools 😂?? Why aren’t staff allowed to fix things where someone teleports randomly due to a bug from say Berenzino to Mishkino sounds daft

Further more there are always position logs to back it 

Just now, Elijah Johnson said:

Isn’t it like a 2sec TP if you’ve got the tools 😂?? Why aren’t staff allowed to fix things where someone teleports randomly due to a bug from say Berenzino to Mishkino sounds daft

It is a quick fix. It would require us to have some control questions before doing it, and checking position logs to confirm that it actually was a teleport bug. 2 minutes.

Let's just make a worst case scenario for fun.

• User PMs GM while GM is not on PC. 
  • GM walks to PC (30 seconds)
  • Boots up PC (30 seconds)
  • Asks control questions in Discord. (30 seconds)
  • Checks logs while queueing. (1-2 minutes)
  • Launches Discord and DayZ. Server has queue, priority queue for GM+. (2 minutes)
  • Teleports to the location the logs show the user was at the time of the teleport bug. (20 seconds)
  • Teleports user to self. (10 seconds)
  • Tell the user to have a nice day. (10 seconds)
  • ???
  • Profit

6 minutes and 10 seconds for my worst case scenario. Pretty decent.

1 hour ago, Hofer said:
  • Boots up PC (30 seconds)

Bold of you to assume my PC takes 30 seconds to boot up.
More like 30 minutes... 👀

I mean, ehhhh, I'm not really for or against this, I'm a bit on the fence.

If someone gets teleported (by accident) to another car and subsequently gets initiated on, I'd say that would be against the rules. The person certainly didn't choose to suddenly end up (like in Camo's case) roughly 10km from his original location and using that to your advantage should be considered abuse of game mechanics. That is, unless the victim decides to RP it out, I think it should be up to the victim of the glitch to decide how he/she'd want to handle it.

In any case, I agree that GMs should have free reign to help people with these kind of issues, granted they're willing to put in the effort to do so (and with the situation that Hofer sketches, I feel it wouldn't take a lot of effort to do so if requested and available). Because it's so random, I doubt many people will attempt to exploit it to get that sweet free fast travel. But there still should be checks if someone decides to try his luck to get TP'd straight into someone's base that had a parked car in it.

Common decency is key, you wouldn't want to get robbed of your roleplay rifle if you suddenly got yeeted to the other side of the map and land on top of a bunch of strangers, so don't do it to others. Unless you, the yeeted, decide to RP it out in its entirety.

45 minutes ago, Kenyi said:

If someone gets teleported (by accident) to another car and subsequently gets initiated on, I'd say that would be against the rules. The person certainly didn't choose to suddenly end up (like in Camo's case) roughly 10km from his original location and using that to your advantage should be considered abuse of game mechanics. That is, unless the victim decides to RP it out, I think it should be up to the victim of the glitch to decide how he/she'd want to handle it.

In any case, I agree that GMs should have free reign to help people with these kind of issues, granted they're willing to put in the effort to do so (and with the situation that Hofer sketches, I feel it wouldn't take a lot of effort to do so if requested and available). Because it's so random, I doubt many people will attempt to exploit it to get that sweet free fast travel. But there still should be checks if someone decides to try his luck to get TP'd straight into someone's base that had a parked car in it.

Common decency is key, you wouldn't want to get robbed of your roleplay rifle if you suddenly got yeeted to the other side of the map and land on top of a bunch of strangers, so don't do it to others. Unless you, the yeeted, decide to RP it out in its entirety.

I second this