Server time (UTC): 2019-12-15, 19:41 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Shepherd

Group implemented settlements

Group settlements  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 minutes ago, tossVC said:

WP Base(no offense) looks like Israel from the movie World War Z with the 30 feet tall concrete walls along with the prison island building slammed into the middle. 

I approve of this. 

Yeah its retarted, maybe something like the old chedaki base in arma 3 @Dew-chan can say for sure 

3 minutes ago, lunathecat said:

@ImNovaaaInstead of telling people there opinion is wrong. Why not understand it and work to improve roleplay for everyone? even if you don't change anything acknowledging someone else opinion is valued instead of falsifying because you don't agree with it.

but I do feel we are getting off topic......

I agreed with what @Ryan Shepherd said about the lore 100%. As it is difficult to come up with for sure, and hard to make it make sense. Maybe some more side by side talking with LM’s could help. So no “opinions” were shot down. My main issue is, people keep talking about how hard it is to raid. Why should a base ever be easy to raid? Even remotely easy? People have made bases in Novaya for the longest time, it’s only an extra 5 minutes away from sinistok. So should no one be allowed to build there because it’s close to a military zone? So then should no one be allowed to build in towns like Vybor which are right next to NWAF? I don’t say these things in a sarcastic way or anything of that nature. These are legitimate questions. 

Well the original intention to the wolf pack base that suddenly popped up was a community hub where anyone could come and RP, due to hostilities that have occurred I doubt the original intention will take off.

As for the lore behind it my understanding was this town was meant to be considered a rich area, hence why it has its own radio tower for communication, church, hospital etc. The prison didn’t exactly make sense to me but that was implemented due to the clock tower that was originally there being disallowed. The issue I have is it’s a town that has suddenly sprung up overnight in a highly traveled area...it’s not the most realistic scenario, although I’m able to look the other way if it’s original purpose of an RP hub occurs.

Not only does the base have walls that are higher than Snoop Dogg on a Tuesday but how does this make any lore sense? Did the people of South Zagoria just forget that there was Jerusalem from World War Z in the region? Did Wolfpack build this project overnight?

I think for group settlements there should be some kind of review process by the Loremasters and Gamemasters together to determine if the settlement in question is the right fit for the server. I can understand reasonably taller walls and maybe one or two buildings but not 7 full size shops, police stations, and prisons being put into the mix.

Going to just copy what I said in your status post:

I mean 18ft tall walls with only two entrances that can be easily walled off with constructed walls, islands with giant choke points completely walled off... getting a bit out of hand. 

Imo if you do a prefab you shouldn't be allowed to further fortify with in-game building, and should only involve feasible things like cabins, wooden fences, etc.

Not to mention they should never be a short jog from military areas, but I thought that was a given. 

6 minutes ago, Queerios said:

2) And its a valid complaint. Any man and his dog can tell the WP compound has been designed to give ya’ll the most advantages if a firefight or raid was to happen (the walls, the buildings used, the two entrances). If we’re allowing Approved Groups to build their own super forts, then eventually hostile groups are going to be left out to dry. I understand the need for a base to be defendable, however not so defendable that’s its blatantly obviously that it has designed around maximising defence. 

This is the only argument that I don’t agree with. Lore issues, and visual issues - yes I agree and those can be improved for sure. But the “it’s too hard” argument doesn’t make any sense. Why would someone not make their base, whether it’s a pre fab or not, easy to raid? I’ve attacked prison island recently, IT IS VERY HARD TO RAID. But I MADE the decision to raid right? So that’s on me to be prepared, and understand what I am up against. After the failed raid, we discussed using more smoke grenades to help if we were to raid in the future. Simple as that. I’ve made wooden bases before, double walled so they can’t be boosted, air locked so we have a kill hole, gates on tents so it takes multiple hacksaws, watchtowers all around so we have all angles, etc. Sure there was a raid or two when we weren’t around, but the few times we were it was very difficult for the OP to get inside. As it should be. 

-snip donno why it was posted twice-

Edited by JewRP

30 minutes ago, ImNovaaa said:

This is the only argument that I don’t agree with. Lore issues, and visual issues - yes I agree and those can be improved for sure. But the “it’s too hard” argument doesn’t make any sense. Why would someone not make their base, whether it’s a pre fab or not, easy to raid? I’ve attacked prison island recently, IT IS VERY HARD TO RAID. But I MADE the decision to raid right? So that’s on me to be prepared, and understand what I am up against. After the failed raid, we discussed using more smoke grenades to help if we were to raid in the future. Simple as that. I’ve made wooden bases before, double walled so they can’t be boosted, air locked so we have a kill hole, gates on tents so it takes multiple hacksaws, watchtowers all around so we have all angles, etc. Sure there was a raid or two when we weren’t around, but the few times we were it was very difficult for the OP to get inside. As it should be. 

Because as the game stands there’s no balance between attackers and defenders, especially when you have a concrete super fort. Attackers have weapons, smokes, and frags. That’s it, and that’s providing people get close enough into the base to use them without getting blasted or having their legs taken off by a landmine. If there was a expansive range of equipment available for attackers to use, I’d be more than happy to let ya’ll keep your compound as is and we could have some great raids. But, unfortunately, that isn’t the case. 

If you are able to make a base with all the things you just listed, why do you need the giant concrete fort?

Edited by Queerios

I'm personally of the opinion that multiple houses should be allowed, but not like landmark buildings.

(High towers, Prison building, Satalite building)

As example, even tho not lasting long, the settlement on Skalisty.

That being said i approve of the idea of community voting for bases before they are being implemented.

Edited by Knightblast

1 hour ago, Alan Woods said:

Or it can just be reserved to Council members as to not clutter things up.

I like that idea. While I'm not really interested in every random Joes opinion about a groups base and creating polls, an opinion of other group leaders would indeed be valuable and most likely accomplish the same thing. I can see that working.

I've modified settlement procedure in the thread here:

I also lowered required group members from 20 to 10, that way perhaps we can get more custom fun hotspots and bases on the map.

I think it looks good!

The wolfpack base is fucking nuts ngl. A police station, hospital, tisy building, prison building(literally the alamo), supermarket, etc. It's literally a small town with a giant wall around it. Idk chief.

If it aint monkey-stackable, it ain't for the server. Nothing bigger than double-stack in-game built walls IMO. None of this 30 meter tall walls surrounding a literal city.

As per smaller, post-apocalyptic looking bases? All for it, would be cool to have some map-set items in the game. Not entire buildings, but rag-tag scrapped together walls or something to definitely set boundaries and sort would be nice. +1 if done well, need to set some requirements to the bases prior too.

Like a log cabin built around would be nice, a whole city in an open field with a wall that reminds me of that scene from World War Z? Naw.

I really enjoy the fact that prefabs are now a thing on the server for approved groups, it brings something new to the server. I agree with the most of you when it comes to the lore questions and how it appeared over night, I'm sure that things will get better in the future in regards to those sort of questions. However I personally disagree with the whole community being involved if a base it to be approved or not, I feel like that area should be handled by the STAFF & LOREMASTERS only. Maybe even COUNCIL members, I can see that working.

I do agree that a group base should be a roleplay hub first and foremost. However I also feel like if a group has put in the work to get all of the members required to get a group base they should be somewhat rewarded for it. Maybe something that could be added in the future if the requirements was to change could be maybe add that how long your group has been active or approved. FOR EXAMPLE a group that has been around for three weeks and have been active in achiving their goals, gets rewarded with a prefab. I personally don't see any reason to add any other requirements myself, but it's just a thought.

Bases are meant to be defendeable, especially if they where built after the outbreak.

I don't personally see any issues with the WP compound, I agree lore could have been taken more into consideration. The past couple of days we've had multiple people visit, we've had great roleplay with most of our visitors. We've also had some great internal roleplay take place in our own group, in regards to group relations. The only area in the WP compound that is really defensive would be our private WP section.

However as compensation we have a church where people can pray and do all their religious activities if they so wish, and I'm sure that someone will in the future. We have apartments that people have actually claimed and they roleplay it out as their new homes. We have a bar and I'm sure that will be fun when it comes to drinking activities and parties of sorts, to put your mind on something else then the apocalypse. 

We have a supermarket that will work as a trading post, survivors will come through and trade their goods and we will most likely give out things to people in need to avoid hoarding. We have a police station where majority of our hostile roleplay will take place, for example if we interrogate people or question others. We also have a smaller shop, where we will be able to offer survivors in need with food and water.

Lastly how long has this compound been out? Maybe two days or three? We're still preparing things. And we've still had multiple people pass through and had great roleplay take place.

Just my two cents!

Edited by hAwkzyyRP

Yo when I heard about the prefab base building I imagined people moving the ruined buses and using those as walls.

I think that idea is great and makes sense. First and foremost people's thoughts should be on realism.

I think it's also generally important to make sure a large majority of a settlement is open to the public and can be used as an rp hub. You should have dominion over this hub, and you should have a defendable section, but if the entire thing is built as a fortress it just screams GearRP being a big driving force behind making the prefab.

Also as Awkzyy said, only one section of their base is defendable. If you were to get raided the raiders would have no defense. This is something to keep in mind. Most places in Chernarus where a base can be built generally has areas where an attacking party would still have decent cover. I understand that Defenders almost always have better coverage in terms of defense, but there's normally places to take cover to just not get squad wiped immediately.

So as a TLDR, when settlements are made they need to have 3 things in mind in this exact order,

1. First and foremost, the interaction and RP benefits of the settlement existing. You have everything in your base. This is in no way specialized. Imagine people coming to the place frequently because they need to RP serious medical conditions. Now they can come for anything. The more things a base has the less centralized your RP will become. It will only become the 'let's go here and chill, but oh watch out for the police because they roam around there too.' It's just unrealistic to assume that a post apocalyptic group would have the buildings of the size they are in just because they can. For example, remove the main prison from the build and replace it with a single larger police station. It still gives you places to RP and doesn't feel like an absolute GearRP move. The prison is ridiculously defendable. Every prefab settlement having it will get old, quickly.

2. Attackers need proper cover and need to have a decent fight. If you have nothing but an open courtyard and your base is set along walls created by a miniaturized version of the prison island bridge than you have every means to initiate on anyone and everyone that comes around to the settlement. What are they going to do, raid your impenetrable base? Attackers need a fighting chance, and they just can't immediately be put in a killing floor.

3. Finally your base should be usable to your group. A base is ultimately used to store gear, but this should never be the main focus. If you made a maze to get to your loot and in order to do this maze you have to go through 32 fences, it just screams GearRP.

For one final time I will say again that the main focus when building these bases should never be to keep your items safe. It should be to establish good roleplay for you, your group, and the server. Gear is replaceable, bad RP experiences aren't.

Edited by Fuhqnugget

Leaving a quick reply here will respond later to most things.

Lore for our compound is being discussed and has been discussed when the base was implemented. I have been speaking with @Craig and @StagsviewRB. We haven't set on the official lore yet but its in the works.

Also gear was never in question when i spent 7+ hrs on making this compound. The idea behind it was to make a cool rp hub. The prison buillding wasnt in the original design but the building used before was disapproved by Roland. So I played around and thought up some cool ideas for Lore with this said building. 

If you all whip out some maps there was a dead end useless concrete road on the map in which that is where and why I chose to make the base there. (Those hills around the base make some nice sniper advantage 😉

To be honest, Tisy not once crossed my mind when I started making this base as the toxic mod was still in place. I had thrown designs there while that mod was a thing because I wanted to implement the useless road to make it make a little more sense. 

As for the base being unraidable / kill box entrances. Those two archways might not even have gates added to them as we are wanting to use this place for our goal of a safe haven. 

Edited by PhoenyxxRP

11 minutes ago, PhoenyxxRP said:

Leaving a quick reply here will respond later to most things.

Lore for our compound is being discussed and has been discussed when the base was implemented. I have been speaking with @Craig and @StagsviewRB. We haven't set on the official lore yet but its in the works.

Could we get a teaser on the origins of this place and why y'all selected it? Maybe some ideas you have floating around that y'all are considering? 

Also, congrats on getting a Pre-Fab base! I heard it's huge. Never seen it but it sounds interesting. Looking forward to the Lore that will come with it. Good luck! I'll try to come visit some day. It will be interesting to see the RP that developes from it or inside it.

I don’t have to see to even imagine it. I remember when those guys made the base on the one island and just plopped down random buildings that made absolutely fuck all sense being there. Apartment buildings and other ridiculous things on an island that only had like two log cabins. If we are going to do custom bases can we at least use the mod template where it has to be realistic? The bases in mod looked like survivor bases. Not even a government entity could build these new types of structures. 

I have to say WP base is nice. If the same issues are being thrown at them, then why don't we talk about how on Skalisty Island we (The Runners and other groups), had a police station, a clinic, a school, a warehouse and other big structures. Of course, there was nothing wrong with it (and it was amazingly built by @ImNovaaa). 

Im going to quote our lord and savior rolle

I think there's nothing wrong with using the buildings, that's kind of the whole point of making a base like that so that you are not limited to wooden walls and watchtowers. Let's not over exaggerate, it's not a MASSIVE CITY, it's about 7-8 buildings and a wall around it. 

He made excellent points and its not some mega fortress or Massive Dystopian City, it is still able to be raided I can understand the Lore part, but if it's in the works than we should all just wait and see what the lore is. 

Overall, a base is meant to be defendable and provide some great RP. I don't see any issue's with the WP base...

I hope everyone has a amazing day! 😄

Jerusalem 2.0 has literally been plopped down a 5 minute walk from Tisy. It’s literally a heavily fortified town with the most easily defendable buildings stocked inside. 

Shouldn't be a thing at all, lore behind it or not. Make something that looks like survivors managed to build it in the two years or nothing at all. It shouldn’t even be approved if it’s not some what ‘make shift’.

As for a stones throw away from a place such as Tisy? Need I say more? No. Just no.

28 minutes ago, Crimson_Tiger said:

Could we get a teaser on the origins of this place and why y'all selected it? Maybe some ideas you have floating around that y'all are considering? 

Also, congrats on getting a Pre-Fab base! I heard it's huge. Never seen it but it sounds interesting. Looking forward to the Lore that will come with it. Good luck! I'll try to come visit some day. It will be interesting to see the RP that developes from it or inside it.

I'd love to get a backstory to the place (and any pre-fab base/town that couldn't possible be built after the apocalypse started) so that it can be incorporated into previous knowledge by people that lived in South-Zagoria far before the infection spread. Or do both the natives and those that have been in the province/country for longer than three years just have to accept that there's suddenly a place on the map they "forgot" about?

This is not me riffing on the existence of the bases or towns, this is just me concerned over how others are supposed to deal with it. My character has been living in/near South Zagoria for a while and took active part in the infrastructural redevelopment (and construction of houses/apartments) of the province after the civil war. Should he already have the knowledge of this sudden addition of the map (as again, there's no way survivors could simply build this from scratch, so it definitely has to be pre-apocalypse lorewise)?

I'll have to agree with ZeroRP. I'm not against the addition of pre-fab bases and towns, but I am against them seeming out of place. Realism should be taking into consideration here. I know the big man already said he really doesn't care about the opinions of us peasants, but it's better to have said it than not at all, even if it doesn't make a difference.

I think two entrances as long as they don't get blocked by any player made buildings, that being CLEAR entrances you can WALK through then there should be no problem. Of course people will build kill boxes and hide inside them but I mean, hey, people already find things and make them kill boxes, e.g the PD building, prison island and so on. Player made structures should give official groups some sort of advantage due to the fact that they work hard to get twenty people in a group, work hard to get official and prove their worth by staying official for a while so a slight advantage is necessary, gives groups something to work towards.

However one thing I'd like to see is for group implemented settlements to make sense lore wise and to look realistic and fit in with their surroundings. 

Edited by JimRP

5 hours ago, Ryan Shepherd said:

Why are such overpowered bases allowed to be implemented. What is the lore reason for a MASSIVE CITY popping up in an open field. Group implemented bases should only be what is actually realistic to construct, some wooden houses, couple small walls, few barriers maybe even a well.

I personally think this is ridiculous, especially allowing this fortress/city of a base to be right next to the biggest military spawn in the map?

Full agreement on this.

Lets not single this out to Wolfpack though; Anarchy had their floating-fortress base on a pier. A construction endeavor that would be difficult and challenging for a proper construction firm in a non-zombie apocalypse, let alone a rag-tag band of survivors trying to put something together. 

And lets not forget Skalitsky, with a hodge podge of massive buildings dropped across an island. 

I am all for the settlement program. However when it was first rolled out my thought process was it would be done in a way to look realistic to what survivors could ACTUALLY do on their own, just done in such a way that saves players from needing to scrounge for 5 weeks to get the nails/planks to build it

All of the currently used settlements that I'm aware of have had their problems, and I've sorta gotten the feeling its turning into a game of one-up-manship.

So onto the good news: Your cries have been heard!

If you'll look here, or in the council section of the DayZ discord you will see that council members will now be peer-reviewing settlements.

So thank you @Ryan Shepherd for bringing this up and helping spark the conversation that had this change implemented.

EDIT: Apparently I didn't read the second page where it was already mentioned, thats what I get for not refreshing.

pokemon slowpoke GIF

5 hours ago, Kenyi said:

I remember travelling down the coast when this first popped up and being amazed at the fact that that kind of travesty got through the supposed "strict" base approval and LM approval.

Loremasters have no say when it comes to prefab basses.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Loremasters have no say when it comes to prefab basses.

So, the people specifically appointed to keep things within the bounds of the lore (as well as add to it and expand it) have no say about things that actively impact the world and progression of the server. Thank you for your response, that paints a different picture for me as to how these player constructed bases are being taken into consideration and gives me plenty to ponder over.