Server time (UTC): 2020-01-20, 22:09 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Shepherd

Group implemented settlements

Group settlements  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Absolutely ridiculous that these things are being approved. The WP Base(no offense) looks like Israel from the movie World War Z with the 30 feet tall concrete walls along with the prison island building slammed into the middle. 

not realistic at all and just gives people higher and thicker walls to shout from behind!

saw the base, that shit's wild

idk how it was allowed to get a massive wall and then a massive prison inside

the idea of this prefab bases is to create RP hubs for people not to be the most defendable fortress in Chernarus

Saw that shit the other night before I assume people started fortifying it.

I thought it was out of place and was surprised it passed into official.

When we nuke prison island, please nuke this "town" aswell.

I don’t want this thread to turn into dog piling , or wolf piling, on the Wolf Pack but I gotta say it how I see it.

Your base is out and out ridiculous. There’s like 20 of you and you’ve made a compound that could function as its own individual village and house nearly, if not more than, a hundred people. On top of that you encased it in those god awful ten mile high concrete walls. We’ve got groups making perfectly functional bases using the tools available in game and they actually look like a survivor base should in the post apocalypse.

However, my main gripe with the compound is the reason ya’ll gave as to why it “suddenly” appeared: it was there this whole time and no one else found it. Its literally a concrete fortress outside of Sinistok, how on earth would nobody have seen it before? Furthermore, what about characters that used to have bases or live in Sinistok? My character Noah used to live in Sinistok and I still play him now, am I supposed to: a) retcon my RP from that time to say Noah was temporarily blind or b) say he was just stupid and never thought to use that perfectly functional fort to house the group he protected in?

I know you guys are smart enough to come up with a better excuse than that, and if you can’t then atleast stick the bloody compound in the woods somewhere so its plausibly that people might have missed it.

Didn’t wanna have to put ya’ll on blast here but I think you seriously need to downsize Fort Knox.

Edited by Queerios

Having something as big as the Wolfpacks (no offense) is unneeded and really ruins the beautiful land.  It just doesnt make sense and never will. I think this base should be relooked at by @Roland . We should reassess what we want rp wise as a community. This not made to offend anyone just my opinion of obsessively large premade bases.

Edited by lunathecat

Dia duit agus maidin mhaith @Ryan Shepherd.

Settlements are a tricky question in DayZ. Some people feel they're too powerful and don't promote roleplay as the existence of them inspires confidence in defenders who grow bolder as they talk shit behind their walls. Others fear that they're so underpowered that its not worth your time or effort to become an immobile, vulnerable target, along with all the hassle that comes with running any kind of hub.

Personally, I don't mind the existence of powerful, defensible bases within the game. In order to promote the existence of settlements where roleplay can be found, the owners need to feel reasonably confident in its defence. Furthermore, I believe there should be some reward for gathering and organising enough people to even gain a prefab base in game. However, I do also believe that they should fit into their environment and have certain limitations placed on where you are allowed to position them. Having large eyesore bases pop up everywhere will start to remind me of a game like Rust or nerd pole island bases in Minecraft. 

So far, I think most prefab bases have been executed quite poorly in terms of realism and their explanation for being there, which are both important things to consider in a roleplaying environment. Perhaps implementing a player quota for certain types of buildings, requiring a written submission explaining the existence of the structures chosen and detailing the construction process of the base in a lore-friendly manner shouldn't be too much to ask, given that the rewards for doing such things are highly desirable.

The walls didn't look that tall in the screenshots I got before it was added to the server. We can always adjust that.

It's true that I don't scrutinize bases before adding them, that's something you the players do (like you're doing right now) and then I can act upon this feedback and ask base owner can make changes. 🙂

I think there's nothing wrong with using the buildings, that's kind of the whole point of making a base like that so that you are not limited to wooden walls and watchtowers. Let's not over exaggerate, it's not a MASSIVE CITY, it's about 7-8 buildings and a wall around it. 

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

It's true that I don't scrutinize bases before adding them, that's something you the players do (like you're doing right now) and then I can act upon this feedback and ask base owner can make changes. 🙂

Can we get an application system for these implemented bases that’s open for the community to give feedback on before they’re implemented? That way we can avoid situations like this in the future.

If this is already a thing plz don’t kill me el presidente i’m just back off a 3 month break and my eyes don’t work no good

Edited by Queerios

4 minutes ago, Queerios said:

I don’t want this thread to turn into dog piling , or wolf piling, on the Wolf Pack but I gotta say it how I see it.

Your base is out and out ridiculous. There’s like 20 of you and you’ve made a compound that could function as its own individual village and house nearly, if not more than, a hundred people. On top of that you encased it in those god awful ten mile high concrete walls. We’ve got groups making perfectly functional bases using the tools available in game and they actually look like a survivor base should in the post apocalypse.

However, my main gripe with the compound is the reason ya’ll gave as to why it “suddenly” appeared: it was there this whole time and no one else found it. Its literally a concrete fortress outside of Sinistok, how on earth would nobody have seen it before? Furthermore, what about characters that used to have bases or live in Sinistok? My character Noah used to live in Sinistok and I still play him now, am I supposed to: a) retcon my RP from that time to say Noah was temporarily blind or b) say he was just stupid and never thought to use that perfectly functional fort to house the group he protected in?

I know you guys are smart enough to come up with a better excuse than that, and if you can’t then atleast stick the bloody compound in the woods somewhere so its plausibly that people might have missed it.

Didn’t wanna have to but ya’ll on blast here but I think you seriously need to downsize Fort Knox.

I understand where people come from when it comes down to the “lore”, i totally do. When it comes to, “Use normal building tools” - from what I understand, pre fabs are better for the server than a bunch of walls with camo netting on them. Also I think some (not all) people’s reasoning for not liking settlements is because “it’s harder to raid”, and they throw in other reasons to justify what’s really ticking them off about the settlements. Again, not saying that’s everyone who’s against it. Also, many people asked for an inland prison. They made one, but they made one in a tight fit community. The “lore” behind the settlement from what I understand, is that this was a hidden away community for the wealthy. Hence the hospital, church, apartments, store, and prison. Now not everyone is a game designer or whatever you may call it, so things may not always look so pretty. But there are definitely more “immersion breakers” than a settlement. Just my opinion. 

Just now, Queerios said:

Can we get an application system for these implemented bases that’s open for the community to give feedback on before they’re implemented? That way we can avoid situations like this in the future.

If this is already a think plz don’t kill me el presidente i’m just back off a 3 month break and my eyes don’t no good

I don't think that's necessary to create an application system for at most 1-2 bases that are added per month. Manual feedback will do just fine.

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/forum/31-dayzrp-mod-settlements/

We need something like this back in here. The idea is that before a prefab base is added, people can give opinions and the creators can make (or not) adjustments based on said opinions.

Or it can just be reserved to Council members as to not clutter things up.

Edited by Alan Woods

I think premade bases should be only accepted if they add roleplay to the community as a whole. Saved for things like traders and groups that encourage roleplay and roleplay hubs for everyone. 

1 minute ago, lunathecat said:

I think premade bases should be only accepted if they add roleplay to the community as a whole. Saved for things like traders and groups that encourage roleplay and roleplay hubs for everyone. 

What is not encouraging role play about the WP settlement? We’ve had many many people come up there and hang out. We didn’t throw up walls and tell people to fuck off. 

1 minute ago, Roland said:

I don't think that's necessary to create an application system for at most 1-2 bases that are added per month. Manual feedback will do just fine.

Surely they have to apply to yourself to get the approval for these things to be implemented? If this was done publicly we, as a community, could provide feedback on it prior to its addition, not after when the damage is already done. 

11 minutes ago, Roland said:

The walls didn't look that tall in the screenshots I got before it was added to the server. We can always adjust that.

I think there's nothing wrong with using the buildings, that's kind of the whole point of making a base like that so that you are not limited to wooden walls and watchtowers.

I think the main thing is, it’s not really a player based settlement, more of a town that looks out of place, the walls are massive, the 2 ways in are basically a kill zone and the buildings being used can be abused by add dayz IG building. 
I am all for settlements BUT realistic ones like we had in the mod, how on Earth is this thing realistic in any shape, how has this group made a town? Or magically “found” a town.

This isn’t a dig at them at all I just think the whole thing needs to be scaled down and made to be more realistic, look back at the mod days. 
Id happily and I am more then willing to help people with settlements and have pestered yourself and @JimRPcountless times to come back as a dev to help with such things as I did this for you back in the day maybe now is the opportunity for you to allow me back so you wouldn’t need to get everything, think about it 

Edited by neom

Just now, ImNovaaa said:

What is not encouraging role play about the WP settlement?

Besides the giant ass concrete walls and the huge prison? If/When my character sees that he’s gunna nope the fuck out into the other direction because it looks like ya’ll are running an internment camp.

49 minutes ago, Ryan Shepherd said:

A magically appeared 10+ semi detached buildings on the sea at the coast with only ONE entrance, a 50m approach to the buildings by a funnel bridge with minimal cover and not to mention a large clock tower for sniping those lovely raiders.

I remember travelling down the coast when this first popped up and being amazed at the fact that that kind of travesty got through the supposed "strict" base approval and LM approval. For the life of me I can't fathom how that was allowed to exist and how it would make sense within the lore that it came to exist (and you are simply unable to build something like that when the apocalypse happened). Not to mention the extreme immersion-breaking way it was designed.

I don't know what the current rules on custom made base creation is, but I feel it has to be heavily moderated to avoid things becoming something that you just can't properly explain within the lore or pretend it "was always there" to begin with. I haven't seen the other place that's being talked about as going to Tisy is a solo player's RP equivalent of pulling down your pants and bending over, but if it's as bad as being described then the staff team should definitely come up with a better way of handling the group settlements.

I remember there was a thread of someone working on various locations within the game that made sense (I can't find the thread but they legitimately looked good, whether hastily set-up shelters or abandoned small camps near a railroad that legitimately feel as if they belonged there) and feel that any base should be more in line with the fact that people won't be able to construct entire buildings, instead opting to fortity pre-existing places or small areas instead. 

I would very much be in favor of keeping things realistic. We don't have access to bulldozers, cranes, cement mixers or anything that could make us build a town in the sea or a bastion at a military hotspot. Also, don't allow people to use "unique" building such as the prison or the Tower/Municipal building. 

Edited by Kenyi

Just now, Queerios said:

Besides the giant ass concrete walls and the huge prison? If/When my character sees that he’s gunna nope the fuck out into the other direction because it looks like ya’ll are running an internment camp.

Then that’s how you role play it my guy. If you choose to avoid it because your character fears it, that’s just how your character is. Totally get it, settlements shouldn’t have to have rainbows and unicorns flying about in order to encourage role play. I mean has your character ever gone to the airfield? 

For once I find myself agreeing with @Ryan Shepherd more than I personally ever had. Getting onto the point for the old anarchy base on the water just popping up (place was unable to be raided unless it was a offline raid, if you tried a online raid it was a death sentence.) Now getting onto what wolf pack has built i have not gotten eyes on this place but if he did describe it correctly and I assume he did because well he is a brutally honest guy. Then i see no point in why it is slapped down next to Tisy (a tier 4 loot spawn area.). Seems like placement was to make it easier to get higher tier loot and hold onto it and to hide this they say it is for roleplay. 

I also agree with how @APositiveElmo says bases used to be (from the time i was not here.) but this sounds like a better idea and more lore friendly and less immersion breaking than the system is now. 

A prefab settlement should be used for 1: server performance (this makes sense, but this base still causes server issues for myself when its trying to render it all in with everything else around it. I dont have the stutter issue even when cherno is rendering in and full of zeds.) 2: To promote roleplay in a area not gear hoarding (this is my personal thought, tho having a house or few buildings to store stuff is just fine. But a massive place ment to hide tons of stuff inside and made to the point its nearly impossible to attack without offline attacking is dumb.). I guess what im getting at is that we should do it how it used to be done how Elmo stated it used to be. 

5 minutes ago, ImNovaaa said:

Then that’s how you role play it my guy. If you choose to avoid it because your character fears it, that’s just how your character is. Totally get it, settlements shouldn’t have to have rainbows and unicorns flying about in order to encourage role play. I mean has your character ever gone to the airfield? 

Large government complex is much more welcoming then Fort Knox 

@ImNovaaaInstead of telling people there opinion is wrong. Why not understand it and work to improve roleplay for everyone? Even if you don't change anything acknowledging someone else opinion is valued instead of falsifying because you don't agree with it can go a long way.

but I do feel we are getting off topic......

Edited by lunathecat

19 minutes ago, ImNovaaa said:

When it comes to, “Use normal building tools” - from what I understand, pre fabs are better for the server than a bunch of walls with camo netting on them.

Also I think some (not all) people’s reasoning for not liking settlements is because “it’s harder to raid”, and they throw in other reasons to justify what’s really ticking them off about the settlements. Again, not saying that’s everyone who’s against it.

The “lore” behind the settlement from what I understand, is that this was a hidden away community for the wealthy.

1) In certain circumstances, yes prefabs are better. But that’s with the condition that you use the prefabs to create something realistic, something that could have been reasonable built by a group in the 2, almost 3, years since the infection started.

2) And its a valid complaint. Any man and his dog can tell the WP compound has been designed to give ya’ll the most advantages if a firefight or raid was to happen (the walls, the buildings used, the two entrances). If we’re allowing Approved Groups to build their own super forts, then eventually hostile groups are going to be left out to dry. I understand the need for a base to be defendable, however not so defendable that’s its blatantly obviously that it has designed around maximising defence. 

3) There is nothing “hidden” about a massive concrete city in a field outside Sinistok.

Edited by Queerios

15 minutes ago, daemonium said:

For once I find myself agreeing with @Ryan Shepherd more than I personally ever had.

When he's not writing group threads, Shepherd can be quite the intellectual.

I also like @Alan Woods and @Queerios suggestion regarding the resurrection of community reviews of prefab bases. This seems like a favourable solution to free up time for staff whilst also generating a review process with multiple sets of eyes instead of just Rolle's.