Server time (UTC): 2020-09-29, 03:27
Sign in to follow this  
AndreyQ

Can we ban people that do this?

6 hours ago, Isaiah Rinkasonn said:

But, what if you build it up and put landmines in there? That's pretty effective area denial tool. But totally dick move. 

We thought about that— that may be over the top, and also three despawn on restart, so we will see, for now we are just walling them off 

ICly if you find there is a gate lock on the well closest to you, we can sell you the codes to a specific well if you bargain with us right and make the proper payments 

5 hours ago, Itsmez said:

Isnt this quite obviously griefing? there is no reason to do this except to prevent people getting water

This is not griefing it is the same as taking and stripping of another resource like their guns— 

5 hours ago, JamesRP said:

Bruh what? The guy literally blocked off a well, what is the beneficial purpose of blocking a well off? It clearly isnt a base. This person is clearly doing it to be a dick and they think its funny.

This is not to be funny at all, this is to create a new dynamic for the servers RP and give like a mad max feel with a race to secure the countries water supplies, good luck!

it’s been Stated In our group goals this wave

1 minute ago, GaryCash said:

ICly if you find there is a gate lock on the well closest to you, we can sell you the codes to a specific well if you bargain with us right and make the proper payments 

This is what I meant in terms of monopolizing resources. This provides RP and an interesting conflict.

What I was criticizing was just flat out walling them off completely, never to use them again.

22 minutes ago, groovy vnp said:

That's the thing. If people protect wells and try and monopolize them that provides a window for RP. 

FFL did that in Pulkovo a few months ago. 

The difference is just walling off random areas never to return doesn't contribute anything but an annoyance.

We plan on returning to the Wells regularly with patrols, for one if we don’t they will despawn in four days

I returned to both of the Wells last night to ensure the RP equipment we set up was still in tact, I’m sure another patrol will go out soon

5 hours ago, APositiveElmo said:

Its literally just fenced off, I'd be interested in knowing the reason why.

We are redirecting the water lines with our equipment for corporate storage and redistribution — the locals have been stealing the water supply 

5 hours ago, tossVC said:

This is an obvious attempt at being a dick, memer, or a jokester. No camp in a real apocalypse would block off a well with no access to it for themselves, along with the rest of the world.

It was actually highly strategic why we choose to do those Wells first before the others if you really want to know why I can explain to you in PMs

5 hours ago, Rover said:

If this was done inside a single base, I'm not as against it. The lock could have been cut off/wire removed from someone that boosted in, or who knows. I won't weigh in on that. 

If someone is just going around the map walling in all the wells with three fences, then thats a dick move and shouldn't be allowed. 

This is the plan, I’m sure that the people will form a resistance for ‘free water’ soon enough, also as I said earlier wells will despawn in four days so we will have to send out regular patrols to check on them, gives you also a perfect opportunity for retaliatory RP!

Finna own the water business. Gotta pay for a drink of water fam. 

5 hours ago, Eagle said:

If there is no real reason for them to block it off I could see it as griefing.

We take the water for the same reason other groups take guns, it is not griefing it is role play 

2 hours ago, ZeroRP said:

I see complaining when there should be people adapting to this situation and putting some thought into why it was done. Out of all the bandit groups I’ve seen over the years I have NEVER met one that did one simple thing that would provide some great RP. Claiming water sources and putting up security around them. You could literally block resources and FORCE people to pay you for water rights. This is an excellent avenue of roleplay that no one has done. Take some inspiration from this. Adapt and overcome. 

Thank you so much Zero

i honestly have had this idea for months and privately contacted Roland about it months ago to ensure it would be okay and not griefing, in my post I explained my RP reasoning why this would be a great idea for the servers and he told me our plans were within the rules 

I purposely didn’t go to any other staff because I wanted it to be a big surprise when it started happening, with no possible information leaks 

2 hours ago, About400Crows said:

To help with some of your concerns,

PCgoals.PNG.af8b49dafd98d179a5dadc116d52d216.PNG

The walling off of wells(Unless someone else is doing it as well) is being done by the Corporation. It was in the group goals when it got approved, and we believe it will bring some interesting RP now that we are actually going ahead with it. 

Also, there was a global broadcast that your character may have heard when Corp started this:

CorpBroadcast.PNG.67c02473cd41eded7b5adf380ca866fa.PNG

Regardless, this is mainly for those of you thinking there would be no role play coming from this, or that this was just griefing. The goal about monopolizing resources should give you an idea of what we are going for without too many spoilers. Essentially, we're just trying to control a resource. Sorry again for any confusion and I hope I cleared up some of your worries.

That is actually a clever idea. I am fine with an official group blocking off the wells for the purpose of roleplay. There's plenty of other non-pump water sources around the map. I am sure plenty of us in 0.62 were able to survive a couple weeks waiting for a hotfix, when the DayZ developers broke wells. We can manage now, or simply break down the constructions right now.

obviously most of the responses were from before a proper explanation was given

apologies for jumping the gun. have faith in Gcash!

What are your thoughts on this? lol fortunately I wasn't in desperate need of water!

Cheers whoever decided to seal off this well... 

20191122004916_1.jpg

someone beat you to the thread, but yeah its a pretty shitty thing to do in my opinion especially since they are walls not gates

IMO, there's a difference between manning and preventing people from drinking water and just putting up walls around them so I have to awkwardly hack at it for 10 min.

The more power to them I say.

I think it'll bring some interesting RP and add a bit of difficulty into surviving on the basic needs now seeing as getting a drink is an effort now.

@ge936 your topic is already a thread and currently being discussed and therefore I have merged your thread with this one. Now you can check out peoples thoughts on this situation and keep the discussion going. In future, you can use the forum search feature to see if a thread of the same nature already exists before going ahead and creating a replica thread 😉 

walling off a well and leaving it isnt adding any rp lmao. if ur gonna wall off a well, put the effort into manning it, or making it a gate so that those who do come across it actually have some sort of rp other than smacking a wall for 10 minutes

1 hour ago, sksksksksks said:

Actually-- this has already been adding a ton of RP.  And we are manning our wells, sending out patrols regularly to check them as said before to ensure none of the locals are stealing our re-appropriated Corporate water supply and making sure the equipment is in tact.  And as said before we have to, the walls will despawn in 4 days if we don't-- so we are obligated to regardless.

It is no different then if you go and rob someone for their resource like their guns. 

You can always try to steal from our pumps we have sealed off-- or seal off some of your own in the coming water wars

That is my base. I put a lot of effort into it and within it holds a large amount of valuable loot. It is just cunningly disguised as a water pump. Dont raid and grief pls 

LMFAO too funny man,

hahah

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That is my base. I put a lot of effort into it and within it holds a large amount of valuable loot. It is just cunningly disguised as a water pump. Dont raid and grief pls 

someone linked this to me

Edited by GaryCash

4 minutes ago, GaryCash said:

-snip-

This is not a comedy 😞 I genuinely worked really hard on this base and felt it brings some critical lore to the server. Some people see a treasure chest of a base, some see chernarus' equivalent of Stonehenge.

Edited by Ronnie

15 minutes ago, GaryCash said:

Actually-- this has already been adding a ton of RP.  And we are manning our wells, sending out patrols regularly to check them

so the only rp that comes out of this is people within your internal group checking if ur walls havent despawned, while other people just get to hit a wall for 10 minutes so they dont die

16 minutes ago, GaryCash said:

It is no different then if you go and rob someone for their resource like their guns. 

its very different, there is no possible way to tell who put the walls down - and you actually have to interact with a person and engage with them in order to take something from them. on the off-chance that one day someone finds the walled off tap in AND there is someone there manning it, what rights does that person have to defend themselves from the hostile action of someone appropriating a water source? it essentially forces someone to engage in a hostile act, which to a degree is fine - but when does it become a rule issue?

-

realism and roleplay aside - if you're blocking off something that is essential for someone to continue roleplaying (i.e clean water) which could easily result in their death, is it really adding roleplay? or is it just a nuisance for somebody to have to run another 15 minutes to another tap, or risk getting sick from dirty water, or even die from dehydration. 

A resolution to all this would to be have one of the walls as a gate, so that when nobody is there manning the water source people can take advantage of it, whereas when you have people guarding the water tap there is a form of interaction between players and the water.

6 minutes ago, sksksksksks said:

so the only rp that comes out of this is people within your internal group checking if ur walls havent despawned, while other people just get to hit a wall for 10 minutes so they dont die

its very different, there is no possible way to tell who put the walls down - and you actually have to interact with a person and engage with them in order to take something from them. on the off-chance that one day someone finds the walled off tap in AND there is someone there manning it, what rights does that person have to defend themselves from the hostile action of someone appropriating a water source? it essentially forces someone to engage in a hostile act, which to a degree is fine - but when does it become a rule issue?

-

realism and roleplay aside - if you're blocking off something that is essential for someone to continue roleplaying (i.e clean water) which could easily result in their death, is it really adding roleplay? or is it just a nuisance for somebody to have to run another 15 minutes to another tap, or risk getting sick from dirty water, or even die from dehydration. 

A resolution to all this would to be have one of the walls as a gate, so that when nobody is there manning the water source people can take advantage of it, whereas when you have people guarding the water tap there is a form of interaction between players and the water.

Wrong;

that is not the only RP that comes from it, you only named circumstances here when only one party or player is present 

not to mention you fail to mention the RP that comes out of this altering the server and the maps politics 

we plan on putting gate locks on the walls as we acquire them so that way we can access the wells our selves or sell the access codes to the local communities in the areas of our wells — our priority is sealing them though and getting the project underway in the mean time while we get the locks