Server time (UTC): 2020-01-18, 04:36 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
mcjey76

Survivor's Currency

The Survivor's Currency

I only joined a month ago (aH! wHiTeNaMe!11!). But, I noticed something was missing on this server that would bring something different to the table of RP. It's the presence of a currency. Knowing this from experience on other RP communities, an in-game currency would bring much more interactions and it would maybe divert loot hoarders from hoarding gear to hoarding loads of that money instead.

Here's my reasoning, concept and ideas.

After 2 years of surviving, the ones still alive start to know each other a little better. Trading is mostly out of what gear you can provide on you, but what if the buyer or seller didn't need any gear and it would only take up space in his inventory? Or better yet, you want to pay your slaves in some way, but don't want to give them good gear and food because it's all you have. This is where the currency could come in, trading the gear the buyer wants for a type of token the seller could use for way more things. This currency could be used for numerous aspects, like paying employees/security, paying your slaves or even forced payments and taxes. There's a lot of RP opportunities the currency could be used for, it's only a matter of imagination at this point.

I've thought about a few ideas for the token object, because Rubles is kind of the classic but not really Post-Apocalyptic. So, inspired from Fallout, we could use the top of Food Cans we cut out when opening for the inside, food is scarce, especially canned food. Having a lot of tops would mean you are rich in food, which then means you are financially rich also. The tops could all be the same value, 1 top = 1 token, or we could go detailed and have let's say the Canned Beans being like the Dollar, Canned Beans Top = 1 token. Canned Spaghetti Top = 5 Token. Canned Bacon Top = 15 Token. Something in the genre.

To earn money, people would need to go around and find canned food, eat the can completely and they would get 1 Can Top after. I've also noticed Zombies don't drop anything 80% of the time, maybe put it in their loot tables also, would incite people to fight zombies again with a goal. I can see people on the street getting robbed for their Tops or Chernies (or whatever the currency could be called) or gang controlled cities/towns demanding taxes to the residents living in that region.

I can also, definitely see public/private banks opening up for survivors. Communities like the Green Mountain Charity could get funded Tops to go buy supplies. Trading posts holding a big amount of tops for buying cheap gear and reselling it for more Tops, mega profitz$$.

No AI Traders, the community is well able to setup everything themselves without the need of robotrons. The player-made trading posts are something I've never quite seen in other games without the need of crazy custom plugins and mods or being in the core game itself.

Anyways, I'm high as fuck right now. I tried putting this idea up front as well as I can. Feel free to flame me for being a white name and ignore completely my suggestion.

REFERENCE PICTURES:

196-1968253_1-canned-food-top-png.png.18e641809f601bcb185108470c3f3144.pngimgbin-baked-beans-dayz-heinz-tin-can-beans-hEEhFXbDYMsvnaPrSaeRRGm43.jpg.b64c3a55c03baf23c9cf4a67167ae800.jpg

Currency has been suggested more than once, it never really works out because they actually need to hold value but I assure you nobody is going to trade their precious weapons to get a currency going. A barter system has always worked.

Best currency in DayZ isn't really food (Except in I think patch .58 when dying of starvation was almost assured), it's guns. M4s and AKMs likely having the top dollar value aside from FALs and other fancy shit.

I don't know a lot of items you can't barter for with an M4 or two tbh.

I like the idea of having a working currency. We have had ingame roubles before, but I never got the feeling it really became a big currency. Things like bullets and nails were still worth more. This is defenitely something to wrap our heads around, but in the ends there needs to be demand for the currency.

A big trade group or organisation like for example trade union or green mountain chairity could set up and maintain a certain currency. As long as big traders like these keep a currency 'alive', it could work out.

wasnt theres something planned to increase in game currency with the trade hub that Roland had planned? 

I like the idea of money for trading and paying people for services, i hope the currency system soon will make it ingame.

13 minutes ago, andysuter said:

wasnt theres something planned to increase in game currency with the trade hub that Roland had planned? 

I also saw that, wasn't really recieved well since the fast-travel mod was included in that update aswell.

Rubles are still in game, although I would be lying if I said I found them as commonly as I used to.

I think with the addition of so many items with MMIO and what not, rubles have been buried somewhere in the loot table.

I hope we see them again soon, they are a nice way of doing trade, and I never usually had any issues with bartering with Rubles.

Currencies need a backing of some sort. One way of doing it is by having a correlation between the currency, and something you would want. Nails are a good example of a easily quantifiable value for rubles. In such a system X Rubles would always amount to Y Nails. That way, having rubles is a way of storing a valuable into something else, and then later being able to exhange it back. I could see a standard value of rubles being done in nails. Everyone likes nails...

ezgif-4-ce3118311251.gif.08d42ac9fdb9fcf591fde710ebe8cb80.gif

7 minutes ago, Ducky said:

-snip-

I was curious about this myself, it's been so long since I've seen roubles in game. Personally I'd love to see them spawn a little bit more but I know with the reduced loot spawning rate it would further cause things to fall into disarray if you walk into a house looking for something useful and just find a small pile of roubles 😅

Only currency that could work is with ammunition. Make badly damaged and damaged ammo spawn commonly and pristine ammo boxes very rare. People would use pristine ammo for trading and their own use. After all who would want their guns jamming while in a firefight. This is the only way of making currency.

1 hour ago, Nonplayer said:

Only currency that could work is with ammunition. Make badly damaged and damaged ammo spawn commonly and pristine ammo boxes very rare. People would use pristine ammo for trading and their own use. After all who would want their guns jamming while in a firefight. This is the only way of making currency.

I'd love to see more ammo spawn damaged or badly damaged as opposed to the infinite supply of pristine RP. I'm a big advocate for giving items actual value, as currently (aside from rare weapons like the M417, FAL or M4) there's little to no value to any item in the game. I'd personally love to see people trade for cigarettes, or have them exchange some food for some painkillers to stop the constant headaches. But due to the fact these items serve no purpose other than enhance the immersion and that pesky RP people keep wanting, more often than not people don't bother with it.

Only items that serve any purpose within the game mechanics have some value, but are already devalued on the base that they're far too easily accessible (food, water, medicine, RP rifles). As long as there's a lack of scarcity, currency won't work. Why pay or barter for something when it's just as easy to find it?

Don't get me wrong, with the recent tweaks to the loot economy I'm hoping that the new scarcity will have people put value on items. But I honestly doubt it'll happen anytime soon, as its still easier to shoot a couple of zombies for beans than it is to barter with another survivor for them.

9 hours ago, Nonplayer said:

-

Metro vibes. But, I like it.

In general, I feel like the most valuable stuff shouldn't be the weapons. Being able to give payments and whatnot would be a cool aspect to add to the server. Food and medication should be at the top always, ammunition coming afterwards. Guns should be rare, but ammo should be even rarer. At one point, after 2 years I think we kinda emptied the shelves of the buildings we keep visiting. Weapons can be reused so it kinda makes sense to find them everywhere.

But, resorting to buy ammo, food and medication because there is no other option would be something..