Server time (UTC): 2020-01-24, 06:22 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Thrynn

Wearing Armbands by Factions.

Wearing Armbands by the Official Factions/Groups.   

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Make wearing armbands OR uniforms by the members of official accepted groups/factions mandatory, at all times. Currently, majority of the groups are running around in the outfits, that doesn't differ them from regular civilians, and that fact is used by many as an exploit to ambush, initiate and Rob people that usually approach said people in search of rp. This results in people in overall being afraid of approaching the others, what drastically lowers the quality of RP. It also causes a lot of innoncent people to actually get KOsed during firefights, even when they are just innoncent bystanders that happend to be at wrong place at wrong time, if wearing armbands will be mandatory with accepted official groups having own custom armbands, the only victims of pvp situations would be said groups members. 

Wearing armbands being mandatory would also allow for a lot better and more immersive PVP between groups that finally would be able to declare a legit war, in they could engage eachother in normal firefight, no chest to chest ambushes out of nowhere using the civilian disguise. 

Wearing armbands should be mandatory, being a member of the faction currently gives you only the benefits, you've got people that take care of you, that you search for items with and build settlements with, there's no reason to disguise as Civilians and commit to acts of banditry and such that often are against the goals of such factions. 

When wearing official armbands of the factions, people pay more attention to their goals and rp they do, so in my opinion that could be the best thing to do, it will solve many issues we've currently got. 

Edited by Thrynn

I'm all up for discussion, if anyone got any questions or doubts in regards of this idea just ask. 

Edited by Thrynn

@Roland Seeing the results there it doesn't look too optimistic, tho Im curious what results could we get here, maybe approach/opinion of some people changed 🙂

Edited by Thrynn

@Thrynn I have my doubts, it's been less than 2 months since I brought up the idea. But to be honest, even with my suggestion post, I actually favored with the side to "=Never=" require them to be worn. When you find yourself involved in firefights, you try to make the best of it, and think tactically and have good communication with your companions. Frankly, I find it easier to not get myself in a situation that will cause a firefight, because there's always the likely chance you'll die. I try everything in my power, not to die.

I mean, the characters are still civilians and the benefits aren’t that great for being an official group. I could even argue it’s far better to be unofficial, from a PvP stand point.

As someone that plays a character that revolves itself around guerrilla warfare forcing me to wear an armband fucks the entire point of being incognito.

As things are, they’re fine. Forcing people to wear an eyesore of an item just for the kicks in PvP and for people to instantly know who they are, if I’m honest screams metagame. I’d rather not know someone based on an armband but instead on the encounters I’ve had with them. As for the ‘people to take care of you’ I would suggest you find friends IC if loot or lack there of is a large issue for yourself.

Edited by Mexi

For me the issue is, that when you approach the group of people that look like civilians and behave like angels, they in the blink of an eye tell you to put your hands up initiating on you. I've had this happend to me multiple times already, and it's simply annoying to be afraid of approaching the people, when you just want some rp but instead you get a poorly done robbery and gear rp. With Armbands on I could at least be able to recognise that threat from afar and avoid it. 

Edited by Thrynn

See, the armband doesn’t offer you RP. It offers you an out through OOC means. That would be metagame my friend. You’re in a zombie survival setting for RP, approaching people with caution should be the first thought IC, it’s likely not a safe thing to do. People should be allowed to be deceitful with you to get the upper hand, the fault lies with you for trusting strangers so freely.

As for your experience with robberies, if the RP was bad, report it with evidence if you are able to. That’ll be the route to solve what seems to be your actual issue.

@Mexi posing as a member of certain faction is a punishable offence on this server, then why members of the factions can pose as civilians to Rob people? 

Edited by Thrynn

Just now, Thrynn said:

@Mexi posing as a member of certain faction is a punishable offence on this server, then why members of the factions can pose as civilians to Rob people? 

Because they’re all civilians and no group go as ‘civilians’, they’re acting as hostile survivors. Posing as a group would be me saying I’m in an official group when I am not and then doing things to fuck with said groups image.

If you’re expecting every encounter to include a full introduction and background check I’ll tell you now that it’s just not going to happen.

I'm too lazy too type but Mexi has all the standpoints I agree with.
+ forcing factions to wear a certain uniform is in no way reenforcable due to people having to regear the whole time to the specific uniform.
It would also make sense that factions could take off the uniform so they don't get caught when they are easily compromised. It's like dressing up in a UN uniform while surrounded by ISIS

Armband could be spawnable via forums when you would be registered as faction/group member. And comparison to isis is not accurate, currently we've got large groups posing as civilians simply to gain the element of surprise over the enemy and to also be able to perhaps accuse their enemy/target of NVFL, you approach group of said "civilians", you get initiated on, and its already game over for you because you can't do anything about it, if you will you'll get punished for NVFL. 

Edited by Thrynn

I voted no, as you shouldn't force players to carry something that shows which group they're with. Doing as such will ruin the 'natural' flow, as people are very quick to change their behavior and/or intent the moment they know what they're dealing with. If you meet someone from Potius Cras without his armband on, you'd engage differently than meeting him with the armband on and knowing what you're allowed to do to Potius Cras members. Personally I don't see how it currently decreases the quality of roleplay, as forcing outfits will result in the exact same evasive behavior, because you'd know you'd get in trouble if you see certain people running around with certain outfits/armbands.

While I commend groups on doing this regardless of the consequences to it, I think this should purely be voluntary. By no means should a official group need to have any visual signifiers of their allegiance. 

All in all, just follow the simplest of rules to avoid getting surprised. Trust absolutely nobody.

Unrealistic and unnecessary. Not only would it ruin every element of surprise but also most likely lead to tons of hard to prove metagaming.

Big No from me.

Here’s my thinking, say clan x is known for being a bandit group robbing people and such, you force them to wear this arm band. They are in game and come rolling through town, people see they’re arm bands and run coz they know the likelyhood of them getting robbed is high. 

By forcing armbands you have shut down any Rp that could be hand coz “I don’t want to lose my grandads M4” and people know shit might go south, also metagaming becomes a big thing “if I don’t tell you I’m in x group and I have an armband on and I haven’t told you anything, you already know. 

just a bad idea and will limit RP, meta gaming will go through the roof and only benefits one side of the community 

big fat nope 

I think it could work but groups would have the choice to either go with this or not to when they are created, I mean usually I wear the corpo arm band even if I am alone or at the very least carry it in my jacket if I know I am in a area hostile's like to hang around in.

Wear them during fights, nothing else. 

@noir  currently it looks like this: The clan known for robbing people, dressed as random civilians comes into the city, robbs people providing little to none rp and then leaves, sometimes in ends with a firefight. Later a random group of role players seeking rp comes to this city, residents hide/runaway or straight away attack. In the end robberies done by such groups disguised as civilians lead to quality of the rp drastically dropping down, cause many are scared of potential bandits. I've seen people running away from me and my friends, because they were mistaking us for bandits. I would love to have some normal rp, but it seems that lately the only type of rp between the groups is banditry. 

Edited by Thrynn

1 hour ago, noir said:

Here’s my thinking, say clan x is known for being a bandit group robbing people and such, you force them to wear this arm band. They are in game and come rolling through town, people see they’re arm bands and run coz they know the likelyhood of them getting robbed is high. 

By forcing armbands you have shut down any Rp that could be hand coz “I don’t want to lose my grandads M4” and people know shit might go south, also metagaming becomes a big thing “if I don’t tell you I’m in x group and I have an armband on and I haven’t told you anything, you already know. 

just a bad idea and will limit RP, meta gaming will go through the roof and only benefits one side of the community 

big fat 

If someone sees a known bandit group coming into town, are yiu really suggesting they hang around for some rp?..... ill tell you honestly, id be hiding as thats valuing my life, not walking into the street to greet them like high noon. 

It has nothing to do with armbands. Sorry but if you play hostile youre gonna have a hard time making friends

However i do agree thats its very open to meta abuse but equally word does spread ic too.

4 hours ago, Thrynn said:

Currently, majority of the groups are running around in the outfits, that doesn't differ them from regular civilians, and that fact is used by many as an exploit to ambush, initiate and Rob people that usually approach said people in search of rp. This results in people in overall being afraid of approaching the others, what drastically lowers the quality of RP. 

1. In the modern age, and especially in a post-apoc setting such as the one the server is running in, what cutthroat/bandit/robber/vagabond is going to run around with a piece of clothing that broadcasts who they're associated with? 
  2. If the fear of being robbed/initiated on is resulting in people being afraid to approach others than boy are they on the wrong server and are also suffering badly from gear fear.

Its a -1 from me dawg. This kind of thing promotes metagaming, i.e you see someone with a pink armband, you instantly assume that they're apart of X group because you know OOC that X group uses that colour and you avoid them because of this,  and is wholly unrealistic. Again, using a hypothetical this time, if Group Y uses blue armbands, and Group Z uses Red armbands, and these two groups are at war with eachother, why on earth would any member of either group openly wear their armband when its not needed?

Gear is just gear, if you're afraid to approach people and RP because you don't want to lose your gear/die then you're missing out on potentially quality roleplay. Also you're in the wrong and the rules should not accommodate you. 

To me this just sounds like an excuse for people to metagame who to RP with and who to avoid. To make this mandatory creates more problems than it solves, especially when the problems it seeks to solve are very minor anyways. 

Edited by Queerios

In the firefights ive been in there are Groups / Factions that use two different armbands but are in the same group just to mess with us about that we never "Initiated" or got initiated on by X armband. which makes it really confucing and hard. Im not saying its against the rules, its a good tactic and all but it baits us to think that we cant shoot them becasue it will be a KOS. In my opinion groups dont need to be wearing an armband at ALL times but 100% wear only ONE color only.

Uhm... just no. 

What sense would it make other than just OOC related reasons?
Some groups don't want to be recognized, they sometimes even depend on staying hidden... not to mention the huge amount of metagaming that would happen, just because people start to know which colors of armbands are good and which bad. 

This wouldn't really make much sense to me, if a group decides to wear armbands, sure, go for it, but don't force them to actually wear them all the time, so you can recognize them. Paying some attention, being careful and asking the right questions may also reveal to you what kind of people you met. Sure, it needs some more work and actually paying attention... but that seems to be problem a lot of people have. Everything needs to be done immediately and everything needs to be as easy as possible. 

So yeah, big no from me.

Nah.

Completely removes the ability to dress down and go-undercover.

You would go into every scenario with no fear, knowing that the moment someone in a uniform or armband shows up there is danger, where as now you could be interacting with someone who appears to be random, only to be jumped by several, which I think is a much more fluid and dynamic experience.

🤔 I'm getting déjà vu here.
Sure we've already discussed this before.

And it was a big fat no then, and its a big fat no now.
I won't be forced to wear anything to identify me in game, that ruins like 99% of RP off the bat.

🙂

Do what a certain other RP server does and force groups to wear identifying marks when they're rolling with their group and representing it, i.e, in initiations or in combat but if they're rolling by themselves then, as an individual, they shouldn't be forced to wear it.

I'm totally up to help write that rule too, too many times have I been donged on by some guy that I thought was a rando but was in reality 100% related to the group we were engaging in the same area.

edit: also why does everyone have hazbin hotel avatars now 🤔 @Ducky @Fae

Edited by SaltySully