Server time (UTC): 2019-12-16, 14:12 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Fuhqnugget

Serious Discussion on Requirements

Hello again all, 

I'd like to bring about a discussion on the required material to build/deconstruct stuff.

This is partly having to do with the fact that a single item as a semi-regular spawn can completely negate hours worth of work for people who have built bases and such, but that's not the whole focus. I want to discuss many things including server performance, players being influenced by certain things, etc.

Roland just had to do a server wipe of *450* Improvised tents. The crafting recipe either needs removed or changed. People make them and set them up in droves of 10-15 in their base. I visited this topic before and I'm revisiting it again. In order to negate escalating latency issues it would possibly be better off to add the items to the loot table and remove the ability to craft storage completely. It encourages loot hoarding and demolishes server latency. 

Back to the base raiding talk, I play Rust quite a bit. One big goal to reach in Rust is to be able to raid other people's bases, and as such it makes it an actual accomplishment to raid someones base. I've seen people visit the topic before but if we could implement special craftable tools to raid bases we'd more than likely stop hearing the cries of 'my base got raided' and the ever so often 'Should Offline Base Raiding be allowed?' I just think it's semi ridiculous that you can raid a whole base by having a 2x6 slot in your pants filled. Although this comes with another thing, which is that bases should be harder to establish. Too many people build and live out of a place for 1 or 2 days then move. It's ridiculous and it hurts server latency and does nothing for RP. Player made buildings in this game are UGLY in my opinion, because of how they are made.

Altogether I think implementing a crafting system that both pushes users away from making a bade every couple days and pushes towards a more arduous task of raiding bases would benefit the server and its players altogether. 1-3 person groups should not be making bases. They should be nomads seeking a 6 to 8 person group to have a small base setup, and that group should be looking for a 10-20 person group to pay tribute to and make allies with. There should be more dynamics in the game but as is 1-3 person groups can set aside a full day and make a 2-3 gate compound that they can hide behind and shittalk. These groups offer no story to other people's story besides possibly 1 or 2 'I was sitting around the campfire and we told stories' type of scenario. 

I'm all for the removal of bases, honestly I think it'd be amazing if prebuilt bases or compounds were made within the server using Roland's Settlement tools and the server groups had to fight over those. It'd be hard to do and be unlikely, but it'd be super different from what we have now and would brew extremely interesting group dynamics.

That out of the world scenario aside though, a proper crafting system that

1. Makes it harder for people to establish bases (or makes it LONGER to do so)

And 2. Makes it a proper goal to achieve to raid a base. Base raiding materials should be crafted and not found. They should take multiple steps to create and if it was approached in this manner I fully believe it would create an actual sense of urgency, protection, and pride during and after raiding a base. 

If you spent 6 hours preparing for a base raid and came out with a whole slew of weapons you'd feel a lot more accomplished then running through 2 towns and finding two hacksaws and just doing the same exact thing you did 3 hours ago to a different base. 

Base building is completely pointless at the moment because it's too easy to raid, and there is absolutely no reason not to raid because people are gear whores. People are continuing ti build regardless because it establishes decent RP when it's setup and for the 1 or 2 days that it stands and because ultimately people enjoy having gear to fall back on if their character dies. 

Another thing I'd like to bring up is the kit talk from another previous post. This seems like a great idea in some ways if approached correctly. I feel people would not gear whore as much if they were able to instantly approach the action in a suitable fashion. If a group made from 8 people that have 250 in game hours and 120 posts on the forums had access to a Chernorussian kit that spawned them the nerfed versions of the Chernarussian Soldier set as well as some weak type of firearm like the Vitayz with limited ammo I feel like it wouldn't hurt the loot economy as much. It would benefit RPers to an extent and would take some of the grind out of an extremely grindy game. Overall nobody likes dying and this is an interesting concept. I'd like to revisit this topic as well in this thread.

This is a discussion post, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks. Remember, this isn't entirely about the specialized raiding tools, it's about changing crafting recipes among other things to accommodate server lag and regular complaints.

Notes: Added a lot through Edits because I'm currently at work and wrote the original thread with like 8 minutes left on my half.

Edited by Fuhqnugget

My solution would be to remove ALL craftable storage that allows you to store anything. One example that would be excluded would be wood log storage as it stores logs. 

After removing all craftable storage increase the spawns of oil barrels, tents, and the modded storage items such as the lockers. 

For part 2 of your discussion I totally agree and actually made a post recently about it. It received overall negative feedback. Personally I feel like people just want everything handed to them, they don’t want to have to search for an ultra rare tool to be able to break into a base. They just want to be able to break it down in five minutes with a simple hand tool and be done with it. 

52 minutes ago, ZeroRP said:

My solution would be to remove ALL craftable storage that allows you to store anything. One example that would be excluded would be wood log storage as it stores logs. 

After removing all craftable storage increase the spawns of oil barrels, tents, and the modded storage items such as the lockers. 

For part 2 of your discussion I totally agree and actually made a post recently about it. It received overall negative feedback. Personally I feel like people just want everything handed to them, they don’t want to have to search for an ultra rare tool to be able to break into a base. They just want to be able to break it down in five minutes with a simple hand tool and be done with it. 

Totally agree. Needs to be a better balance between breaking into bases and building them.

Craftable storage should be modified. Like legit the only storage I see now is log storage with people hoarding countless things in them.

On top of that bases should only be for approved groups. Then people will strive to group up, instead of creating a stockpile for just 3 people. 

On the topic of gear I think people's characters should be wiped after 2 weeks of not playing. Because I've legit took a break for 3 months, coming back not long ago to having all my stuff still. With all the people that come and go theres tons of shit that can be removed from the loot economy, but I think the new loot mechanics might change that.

Considering how Rolle's testing pre/post basebuilding server performance seemed to indicate a significant increase in server stability before base building they should be kept to a minimum. 

Approved groups should be able to create settlements, I.E bases, both prefab and craftable. I get that dude who wants to build a little wall'd of compound in the middle of nowhere exists, but I want server stability and actual quality bases.

I also would like to point out that if bases are limited to groups only we would not need to fix the requirements in order to raid. The difficulty would come in the size of the group, and might make the group have to choose between people so the base could have around the clock protection. The difficulty in raiding comes from the amount of time the raid takes, as well as the size of the group defending.

This would benefit the server as a whole because it might finally bring about the group to group beef that people have wanted for awhile.

I have a few remarks...

To the first part of your post:
I think base building is definitely necessary for expanding the RP that can be had on the server, altough I totally agree with random, old and rendundant player structures spread around the map. People need a base of operation, most of the time. The "nomad" style of play can be very limiting, especially with the encumberance system, so heavily penalizing fully kitted players. This basically meaning, that players that have a large kit, are going to have a heavy combat disadvantadge in the sense of movement, which I think is most important. And for groups, having a base is key for most, as it gives the group a home, and also a place where they can easily be sought out for some player-on-group and group-on-group RP. This leads to wars and what not, and is essential to keep groups coming and going. While there are definitely issues,  with the way that player-made structures affect the server, however this mechanic has been heavily sought after by the DayZ community, and I personally feel like it has done alot more to the RP'ing.
I would more so agree on cutting down on non-group encampments, and restricting solo players, or smaller non-established groups from building massive structures, as I too feel like it doesn't add much to the RP. Most of these types of players should be able to do with a barrel stash, tent or burried backpack.
As for removing basebuilding in general, I'm against it. It adds alot to the surroundings and RP, seeing groups and bases established, changing the landscape and taking over cities. I feel like we need it.

As for your second part, I strongly disagree. I don't feel like DayZ is a grindy game. It doesn't take long to recover from death if you know where to look, and good gear isn't scarce in my opinion. I think it's important to be able to run into unarmed, recently killed (knocked out) characters, and being able to help, capture or otherwise RP with weaker players. There should be a punishment to getting yourself into a situation where this happens to you, and I  don't agree with a pat on the back, and a gun in hand and a "off you go again" attitude. The world needs to be dynamic, and leaving most of this kind of control to the player, is what in my opinion, creates this dynamic.

Just my 2 cents ^^