Server time (UTC): 2020-01-19, 08:50 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Dingle

Thoughts on banditry?

No bandits = No roleplay to be driven.

If there is no bandits there won't be any conflict except maybe internal group conflicts which usually make no sense.

Bandits don't always win.

Bandits themselves are fine, we need'em. I just miss the opportunity to have a mexican standoff if you get the idea. People always just begin to empty their mags at each other as soon as someone aims at the other one. Understandable but there could be so much potential RP wise, a shame. We need to teach people not to be that trigger happy.

Hostile RP will always be a thing on the server, and frankly it's quite necessary to the health roleplay in the community.

There will always be good hostile roleplay and there will always be bad hostile roleplay, but that obviously goes for every single type of roleplay from campfire to settlement.  I think @Zanaan captured it best with his input.  The best banditry you will receive will have good justification and roleplay behind it, and we have that on the server.  Unfortunately, there will always be the people who do not provide that justification or roleplay, but one bad apple shouldn't spoil the bunch in this case.

Hostile roleplay is a great, necessary thing when done properly.  Don't attach yourself to your gear, attach yourself to the roleplay surrounding it, and you'll find yourself enjoying it far more.

3 hours ago, groovy kase said:

I mean considering most of the bandits on the server generally ARE also the gear hoarders, it's kinda hard to keep it in check.

In my experience, Gear makes you fat and slow. Hostile Rpers and bandit rpers will not win a firefight or any sort of hostile exchange by holding a ton of gear.

Just now, Aisling said:

In my experience, Gear makes you fat and slow. Hostile Rpers and bandit rpers will not win a firefight or any sort of hostile exchange by holding a ton of gear.

The ones that aren't nomadic will have plenty.

2 hours ago, Fuhqnugget said:

This is a community discussion thread that's actually sparked decent conversation. It's not like it's a poll that clearly states 'should hostile RP be removed from the server.' Calm down

If you were in this community for more than a day and a half you would of known this "discussion" pops off every week and is mostly negative towards hostileRP. 

Calm down lmao 😂

Assuming that by banditry the OP means random robberies by people you have never met before and not hostile RP as a whole...

I've always found banditry to be the entry level for roleplayers who wish to go down the path of being a hostile RPer. Everyones gotta start somewhere and random robberies is the easiest and probably best place to start. It is what it is. I personally never really react to it narratively speaking other than mentioning it to people i meet for maybe the rest of that day since its relevant. However i have never took action against such instances as i can never be arsed to do so. Risking the lives of people I like or care about ICly, to go after some people i have never met before and probs never will again simply because they took my rifle and supplies has always been a turn off for me.

And within the couple months i have been active again on the server i actually haven't been the victim of random banditry yet. Now im hardly patrolling the hotspots daily but i do visit them as they come and go. Which makes me think, atleast from my perspective that random banditry is not a prevalent play-style within the community atleast at the present time. But i do accept that maybe i've just been a lucky c*nt in that regard.

Banditry = Epic

55 minutes ago, JewRP said:

If you were in this community for more than a day and a half you would of known this "discussion" pops off every week and is mostly negative towards hostileRP. 

Calm down lmao 😂

On the contrary, I've been here a day and 3/4 so I am perfectly aware of the posts from beforehand.

Joking aside I believe a discussion is harmless. Now, if there was an actually discussion about 'Banditry shouldn't be allowed!' going on I'd understand, that's not the ongoing discussion though.

Banditry is healthy for the server. We have people running around with tactical rucksacks and therefore have 4 to 5 guns on them. Just because it's in their packs and they can't be KoSed shouldn't mean those guns are safe, therefore I believe being a bandit is absolute justified. However it's not too much to ask for 15-20 minute rp rather than 5 minute 'hands up' rp.

Banditry is good, we need the balance between good and bad on the server. However if it is done poorly you usually don't think it's good. If it's done good, you go away from a scenario thinking. "Damn, these guy handled it well. These guys are good!" Then you can use your new interaction towards building a character. Either becoming a bandit yourself or the hero. Or the between, just a survivor etc. My thought on banditry stands simple. We need it.

6 hours ago, Dingle said:

YES YES YES! This is incredibly enjoyable. I like getting robbed with a motive, like trespassing where I didn't know I was, breaking a local law, or just being of a different standing or nationality. This leads to arguements, and really good RP, where it is often the case that you can adhere to whatever arguements they are making, and try to get pardonned, or strictly go against the ideals, or reasons as to why you were held up in the first place.

What I mean by unsatisfying robberies, are the ones in which there is no real motive, there is no background for the attack, and there isn't any good conversation taking place. This is what I see a little too much of, and I think that while many players are looking for their fix of action, many forget that banditting is one of the hardest playstyles to uphold, yet many do it badly, just because getting into altercations is fun for some, even though they don't include any valuable exhange. Am I alone in this?

There's too many people here that are always looking to get a fixin' on the means of Robberies and Hostile threats. They roll around in groups and just do what they want cause the rules say they can, so they make characters around that, and it just keeps going in a loop. I love the good RP where I get trespassed and held up cause I crossed borders into a town I'm not supposed to be in. Where I get made fun of for being American or just from New York in general. Can't help the people that want the fix. Just gotta hope they fuck up and get themselves banned or just...Hope they stop playing. Evolving server = Evolving players.

4 hours ago, PhoenyxxRP said:

Wait is this sarcastic? At that rate you might as well add in some rainbows and unicorns. Do you really think that in a world like the current setting in our lore that people wouldn't rob others and people wouldn't break into bases/homes that look like they can provide useful survival tools? Or break into their enemies stashes to make sure that the enemy doesn't gain the upper hand? Mindsets like the one you stated is what is ruining the server. Everyone wants to make sure that their character just gets to have a walk in the park. Trust me, used to be that person that thought my character shouldn't have any harm done, but reality is - that's not fair to the others you are roleplaying with. 

Also to say that raiding and banditry brings nothing to the server is absolutely ridiculous. Why? Cause ever person that robs you, hell that's a whole new storyline you can make. Even those that rob you might give you some pretty cool storylines. I myself have been held up and given new storylines to follow and new ways to develop my character form banditry and hostile roleplay. My character, although preaches about being good, also commits things but always we give people new storylines to adapt. Whether they understand that at first or not. Base got broken into? Hell, roleplay out planning with your friends/group how you can make the place more defend-able when you aren't around. Everything that happens to you, you can make your own cool potential to develop more story (i mean unless you no comply and die). Stop getting mad over being held up, stop getting mad about being raided. The salt of being raided, and the salt of situations not going YOUR way is what kills the server.

Onto the topic at hand. Hostile roleplay is needed. Yes there is some pretty poor hostile roleplay that occurs on the server, however there is others that actually create storylines and flow. Also it builds character. My entire group and character is based around the first weeks of being in the server where I encountered plenty of robberies and plenty of hostile interactions. If it wasn't for these interactions, my group wouldn't have formed. Ya'll can say hostile rp isn't needed but it definitely is. I just hope to see better roleplay when it happens and better story building from those getting robbed instead of salt reports or salt threads.

Maybe we should add rainbows and unicorns ? Would make the dark and drab world of chernarus a better place and with some of the groups it might fit 

Ban hostileRP entirely it ruins the server.

Naw but for real, hostile RP is only fun if it is interesting for both parties.

Straight up banditry followed by a strip search where people stand silent and just dig through your shit with minimal RP is bad.

People outright just robbing you just to talk shit(and take your gear) is bad.

Banditry with a throughout reason behind it and a rhythm to the madness with engagement from both ends. Whether it be a questioning, a threat, etc. is fine as long as both parties enjoy the roleplay of it.

The issue lies in the people who value their “fathers M4” and other precious gear over the roleplay being given as well as the people who drop sex 10 wepz and just strip search for gear are the two parts of the spectrum that give hostileRP a bad name.

TL;DR Provide roleplay when you rob someone and enjoy the roleplay given. If there is no to little roleplay given, report it.

I have had a tremendous experience with hostileRP on the server, in all honesty. My first day, I was held up by The Corporation, shoved in a closet with my blood taken, then took a beanbag in the back of the head, with my friend taking this as a chance to sprint off into the night and escape. Then another where I was hooked up to a damn car battery, and got my damn balls shocked off. All of it was great fun, and honestly some of the best hostileRP i've had. Sure, I lost some guns and gear to both of these scenarios, but they were interesting to me and gave me a better experience than loot ever could.

However-- there are some absolutely abhorrent roleplayers out there, I'll just say it. Saying a few words and taking everything ya got, leaving you with hardly anything, and a terrible experience. Personally, I feel those people should be banned no questions asked, if caught on video, and should be forced to reapply. I'm not really adding anything new to this discussion but, I wanted to put my two cents in. I enjoy hostileRP, and it should definitely always be around, but it needs to be high quality, even if it's just a loot grab... let's add some spice to it.

i don't really get any hostile rp as they die before they can engage in it, but I do give others hostile RP which a recent study suggests it's the best hostile rp on the server

don't @ me

6 minutes ago, NukaRuka said:

there are some absolutely abhorrent roleplayers out there, I'll just say it. Saying a few words and taking everything ya got, leaving you with hardly anything, and a terrible experience.

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/forum/54-reports/

beanz me later

As long as you can get more rp out of playing along with the bandits im completely fine with it, the "drop weps 10 secs " robberys are just plain boring and thats the only type of people i happily take on kill rights on.

My thoughts on banditry is that if we didnt have anyone being hostile with you in rp then whats going to be the driving factor for most of the stories you're supposed to create and engage in? Are you supposed to worry about finding your next little teddy bear or the fact there are some cannibals looking for people roaming in small parties? Bandits play a huge role in roleplay as if it wasnt for them everyone and their mothers would be walking around with three guns on them just to shoot at zombies. 

They drive your stories and create a feeling of being scared/worried which can lead to more roleplay being developed because people would have to unite against large groups of bandits, because at the end of the day zombies sure as fuck wont push you to go roleplay with someone you dont like but have to work with them because the spoopy bandits are getting you. 

Its just another form of roleplay stop hating.

Added (in an edit) a bit of clarification to my post, as it seems to me that people think I am against hostile RP. What I meant was that I definitely feel like hostile RP is more common than say 2 or 3 years ago, when I was still here. And with increasing frequency of hostile RP, you are bound to have some bad ones in there. I'd love to see hostile RP'ing "taught". Not ruleset or anything strict, but more or less helping people understand what drives good roleplay, so that those moments can be created on the server.

I'm an old community dog, and definitely not a hater ❤️

Edited by Dingle
sᴘᴇʟʟɪɴɢ ᴄ:

I mean if you think that hostile RP is just “put your hands up drop your gear” then you haven’t done enough hostile RP.

The reason I like hostile RP is because when you initiate there’s so much that could happen. You could have the guys not comply and fight back. They could comply but have their friends try to come kill you. You could use a hostage as leverage for demands that give you or your group valuable IC information. Lots of different things, not only that but the hostage RP can be fun especially when they provide good RP.

Ahh, once again such a nice conversation of what and what it is not, that grand hostile RP. Hostile RP is also something else than "put your hands up." But that's just my view on things. Because you can do it without initiating once. But hey, maybe I am wrong. Strong arming, presence, just... existing, can be quite a good hostile rp. And TALKING and yelling. @Ducky for example is very good at hostile yelling. Gods, I love him yell. And he doesn't even need to initiate to yell people down!

Just now, Isaiah Rinkasonn said:

-snip-

This for sure, hostile RP doesn't just equal initiation dropping, there's so much more involved with it depending on who the group is, who you interact with, what you do on a day to day basis. I know that when certain people come around me and my friends camp they instantly put us on our toes, we watch what we say and how we act around them so as not to cause any issues with their group or people they might enjoy running with. Hostile RP is so much more in depth then people might want to realize. 

All types of roleplay are needed for variety.

The issue I've had playing here as I have for a while is the imbalance of roleplay, hostile RP heavily dominates the server. I find it a lot easier to develop my character through friendly interaction, rather than being paranoid everytime I use a road to travel about getting robbed.

16 minutes ago, VikingHunter said:

All types of roleplay are needed for variety.

The issue I've had playing here as I have for a while is the imbalance of roleplay, hostile RP heavily dominates the server. I find it a lot easier to develop my character through friendly interaction, rather than being paranoid everytime I use a road to travel about getting robbed.

May I remind you you’re in an apocalyptic setting, not daisies and roses my dude. Times are supposed to be tough it makes sense that hostile interaction dominates the server.

3 hours ago, Dodge said:

May I remind you you’re in an apocalyptic setting, not daisies and roses my dude. Times are supposed to be tough it makes sense that hostile interaction dominates the server.

I'm thinking realistically. If everyone in real life was put into a post apocalypse right now, I can bet big bucks that majority of people would not be trying to kill eachother. I find here people are hostile RPing purely because they can. Half the time it doesn't make sense for their character to be doing it.

Majority of hostile RP I see expresses extremely poor RP. Almost every hostile interaction I hear about involving more than 4 people, whether it be a firefight, robbery etc all end up having reports issued about it and they turn into salt fests. Not to even mention almost every character I've met in hostile RP has the exact same trait as the next: stubborn. With a couple exceptions, a lot of time in hostile RP, I find the initiating party makes it impossible for the victim to get out of the situation, the initiator can never be convinced, begged, or even seduced. It always has to go their way which, if you just skimmed through this post, you will have the reply "Well yeah... That's the point." but I mean as in it's like their character isn't human, more like a robot programmed to be like that. Majority of Hostile RPers miss that one vital thing when roleplaying, it's called being human. 

Majority of friendly RP I see makes sense, I've never seen a severe report about people talking around a campfire or helping eachother out with something. It encourages healthy roleplay, morale boosts your character and makes people happy in real life because there are some real wholesome moments.

There needs to be an equal balance of the two I believe. If it carries on how it is this server will end up only being the big time factions, and all the solo players, campfire RPers and small time groups will fade out and there will be no place for them here, because they just cant get a foothold.